Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ytlaya posted:

edit: The video chat artifact someone else mentioned is also a good example of this different approach to artifacts - why is it okay for Olivier to have that artifact? I thought the Church was pretty strict about reclaiming artifacts regardless of how they seem to be used (because no one truly understands these things and they can be really dangerous).

Since you spoiled the name: He's an Erebonian prince and good friends with the Fifth Dominion, so good luck getting it away from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ytlaya posted:

edit: The video chat artifact someone else mentioned is also a good example of this different approach to artifacts - why is it okay for Olivier to have that artifact? I thought the Church was pretty strict about reclaiming artifacts regardless of how they seem to be used (because no one truly understands these things and they can be really dangerous).

Take your pick:

He's royalty/he's done favors for the Church/they find it harmless enough plus the prior two

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Ytlaya posted:

Basically what secretly best girl said.

(Sky SC Chapter 9) He was at one time worried about the Church hearing about it:
Schera: Of course! That artifact of yours!
Olivert: Er, ah, my dear Schera! No more of that, please! It would be a little problematic if HE heard about--
Kevin: Little too late on that score, Prince.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh wow I forgot that One-Eyed Zechs is briefly present in SC. This is why I'm replaying everything currently.

Helps that while preparing to finally play Sky 3rd I found there's now this installer that installs the Evo-era full voice acting for all three games https://github.com/chyyran/skyinstaller

I should also mention that the poster in this thread that provided the Cold Steel patches has expanded their stuff to all four Steel games and are considered part of the fan HD patches at this point https://github.com/AdmiralCurtiss/SenPatcher/

It's never been a better time to get into the series, or replay the series.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ytlaya posted:

To add a little to what everyone has already said, the church as a power appears to be much more practical than they are zealous. They seem to have an understanding of when they're in over their head, and they'll bend on certain stances if there's not enough value in it. They don't mess with it because Olivier is a friend, and more, he's a friend that's quite possibly more powerful than they are. If he actually has the backing of the Empire, then the church knows they can't defeat him/them So between the two answers, there's simply no value in it. They have everything to lose and very, very little to gain.

However, it should also be said that the Empire at least respects the power of the Church, insomuch as the black records are artifacts and the Empire has kept the source as such a secret the church isn't even fully aware the Empire owns the real thing.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Based on this bit in Chapter 2, I'm guessing Azure was developed alongside Cold Steel. That's a lot of proper nouns back to back for an unnamed NPC with a special portrait to drop all at once, even for this series.

Edit Man, they really love them some Towa, don't they?

Prowler fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 13, 2023

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

The thing Gideon used in the mayoral residence in FC, Olivert's shell, the Hermit Cube, the Salt Pale arrows, that thing you retrieve in the cold open of Sky 3rd, Gideon's demonic flute, whatever that thing you mess with in Heimdallr as a sidequest in CS3 is.

Are the ones that readily come to mind. Obviously part of the thing is that the Septian Church are guarding most of them.

Ruan, Olivert, and the bells were the ones I was thinking of.
The cube is part of the Aureole or something, since Phantasma is explicitly stated to be a very small part of the Aureole's power.
I dont remember the arrows being called an artifact, same with the flute.

My point was though, even when something is explicitly called an artifact, its discussed for 5 minutes unless its a Sept Terrion, the God Artifacts.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno, the shell is kind of a big deal

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

MythosDragon posted:

Ruan, Olivert, and the bells were the ones I was thinking of.
The cube is part of the Aureole or something, since Phantasma is explicitly stated to be a very small part of the Aureole's power.
I dont remember the arrows being called an artifact, same with the flute.

My point was though, even when something is explicitly called an artifact, its discussed for 5 minutes unless its a Sept Terrion, the God Artifacts.

The flute is definitely an artifact.

I'm not sure if the Salt Pale arrow counts, given that's basically Divergent Laws stuff forged into a weapon, similar to Weissmann's staff, Kernviter, etc.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Ytlaya posted:

It feels kind of sudden though. In Sky you're told that the orbal revolution happened a pretty long time ago. But the improvement in tech that occurs over the course of the games seems way larger than the difference from pre-Orbal times to the beginning of the Sky games.

They matter a lot, but their nature and use in the plot is very different. In the post-Sky games, you see these big super important plot-relevant artifacts, often with Ouroboros plans revolving around them. Those artifacts are kind of similar to the sort of magical artifacts you might see in other RPGs. That isn't really as interesting to me as the "random weird poo poo that people find and start using (that the Church wants to confiscate for pretty legitimate reasons)" take on artifacts that you see in Sky.

Part of the reason the improvement in tech didn't start off very quickly was because at the start it was just Epstein's three disciples (with two of them being generously described as eccentric cranks) trying to get the word out. It took them a while to establish the proper connections and backing in order to get their knowledge adopted for commercial production.

As for the mentioned artifact, I recall CS4 stating that Olivert and the Church reached an understanding that allowed him to maintain ownership of it for the time being as long as he didn't abuse its power. They probably determined that the artifact itself was relatively harmless and they saw value in keeping him as a potential ally.

Also, regarding artifacts, there's a few more that are used in the series: the Merkabah. The ships themselves aren't necessarily artifacts, but their engines are and you generally get a "don't go there, that poo poo's confidential"-remark whenever you try to enter the engine room.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 13, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Prowler posted:

Based on this bit in Chapter 2, I'm guessing Azure was developed alongside Cold Steel. That's a lot of proper nouns back to back for an unnamed NPC with a special portrait to drop all at once, even for this series.

NPC-wise there's been some light changes with the more modern Azure releases, but I'm not sure exactly what or where. The most recent is definitely [npc that appears in chapter 1]Juna in the police academy

Cyouni posted:

The flute is definitely an artifact.

I'm not sure if the Salt Pale arrow counts, given that's basically Divergent Laws stuff forged into a weapon, similar to Weissmann's staff, Kernviter, etc.

I think the Pale itself is technically one? We don't really know what happened before it activated and things got Extremely Bad

I think the Church generally shows a bit more leeway towards artifacts that are relatively harmless. If Olivier was packing a doom laser or something they'd probably risk way more to get it.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 13, 2023

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Erpy posted:

Part of the reason the improvement in tech didn't start off very quickly was because at the start it was just Epstein's three disciples (with two of them being generously described as eccentric cranks) trying to get the word out. It took them a while to establish the proper connections and backing in order to get their knowledge adopted for commercial production.

As for the mentioned artifact, I recall CS4 stating that Olivert and the Church reached an understanding that allowed him to maintain ownership of it for the time being as long as he didn't abuse its power. They probably determined that the artifact itself was relatively harmless and they saw value in keeping him as a potential ally.

Also, regarding artifacts, there's a few more that are used in the series: the Merkabah. The ships themselves aren't necessarily artifacts, but their engines are and you generally get a "don't go there, that poo poo's confidential"-remark whenever you try to enter the engine room.

Honestly, it also feels like they decided they wanted to go with a more modern feel than Sky which felt aesthetically closer to a more normal JRPG.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And i'm very glad for it.

Honestly it kinda rules how each arc changes up the aesthetics and feel of the setting despite all being pretty contemporary to each other and being in the same world.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Salt Pale arrows are questionably an artefact, the church isn't sure what produced the plank-like magical rock from the centre of the pale, I just added it given it's a notable magical object.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm gonna be so upset if Northern War is the closest we get to going to North Ambria, which is tied for #1 on places I want to go in Trails with Arteria.
North Ambrian characters are amazing and the Salt Pale is a huge piece of the lore that absolutely has to be explored more than Tuatha's imitations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Prowler posted:

Yinlock posted:

NPC-wise there's been some light changes with the more modern Azure releases, but I'm not sure exactly what or where. The most recent is definitely [npc that appears in chapter 1]Juna in the police academy

Neither of these show up in the original release of Azure. They were added in the PS4 port, which the English releases are based off of.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Towa was so popular she ended up becoming a character in Tokyo Xanadu (the same character basically verbatim but unrelated to her Trails character), hence her bizarre appearance at that event based on a frankly not important enough action she performs in CS1 C4.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Neither of these show up in the original release of Azure. They were added in the PS4 port, which the English releases are based off of.

Thanks, I thought so. The details were much, much too specific for something that'd be released in the future unless someone handed them a script, lol.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
IIRC there is some reference to class seven, but it's only recognizable in hindsight, but that they probably did sketch ahead.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

OddObserver posted:

IIRC there is some reference to class seven, but it's only recognizable in hindsight, but that they probably did sketch ahead.

There's a scene between Azure Chapter 2: Mueller and Olivier that talks about Class VII in very broad terms.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The one thing that's kinda weird is that nobody in Azure brings up how the [CS1]railway guns were about to fire on the trade conference. Considering that the entire cliff opens up when they're prepping for it it's kind of hard to miss.

e: though I guess the CDF could've just wrote it off as more imperial dickwaving to pressure Crossbell. They do mention that those things were on display a lot pre-pact

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yeah the change I was getting at is the fact that that one existed at all. Wasn't sure about Towa though.

I think [Azure final chapter] Duvalie also gained a portrait. As did Gideon even though it's just his stubbly chin

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 13, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yinlock posted:

The one thing that's kinda weird is that nobody in Azure brings up how the [CS1]railway guns were about to fire on the trade conference. Considering that the entire cliff opens up when they're prepping for it it's kind of hard to miss.

That's kind of the point.

CS1 and Azure The Railway Cannons weren't about to fire, because they were loaded with blanks. No one in Crossbell was paying attention because the Trade Conference was being attacked.

So, if you've played Azure first, you know that the Railway Cannons aren't fired until the Aion blows up Garrelia Fortress, which is two chapters after the Trade Conference, so the opening has to be a misdirect.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well either that or (Azure) KeA had something to say about Lloyd et al dying in the blast.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

That's kind of the point.

CS1 and Azure The Railway Cannons weren't about to fire, because they were loaded with blanks. No one in Crossbell was paying attention because the Trade Conference was being attacked.

So, if you've played Azure first, you know that the Railway Cannons aren't fired until the Aion blows up Garrelia Fortress, which is two chapters after the Trade Conference, so the opening has to be a misdirect.

[same]Yes, but nobody on the Crossbell side would actually know that. From their perspective the mountain opens up and the cannons slide forward, kinda hard to miss. I don't expect all of Crossbell City to know but it's just odd that nobody at Bellguard Gate even mentions it, including the people on the roof who's job it is to stare at the fortress 24/7

Tesseraction posted:

Well either that or (Azure) KeA had something to say about Lloyd et al dying in the blast.

[azure ending/cs1]Given how CS1 pulls a similliar trick as Zero with adding characters when you reach the media res point this is possible. The SSS only died the one time but it could've happened while they were underground and if those cannons went off poo poo would probably be bad enough to warrent a reset even if the SSS lived through it.

I mean you could just say it was to stop any real spoilers but CS3's open is identical when you actually reach the point and that's after KeA gives up most of her power.

e: I'm obviously overthinking it but whatever overthinking things is fun

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 14, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yinlock posted:

[azure ending/cs1]
I mean you could just say it was to stop any real spoilers but CS3's open is identical when you actually reach the point and that's after KeA gives up most of her power.

e: I'm obviously overthinking it but whatever overthinking things is fun

Actually (CS3) it's not entirely identical - as I recall Angelica is with you in the main game but not in the in-media-res opening.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think Yinlock meant "identical" in that "the actual events are different from the opening"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I actually forgot about that entirely :negative:

All I really remember about Angelica in that game is that rad moment in Ash's hometown where she and Rean have a buddy cop chase sequence

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 15, 2023

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

When Trails ends, I want them to Remake Liberl and Crossbell in 3D, and Erebonia 1, Erebonia 2, Calvard, and beyond in 2D cuz I really just love both artstyles.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MythosDragon posted:

When Trails ends, I want them to Remake Liberl and Crossbell in 3D, and Erebonia 1, Erebonia 2, Calvard, and beyond in 2D cuz I really just love both artstyles.

The one bad thing about the move to 3d is that they don't really go as nuts with the action scenes anymore

Zero/Azure doesn't do it as often as SC but when they do oh baby

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yinlock posted:

I actually forgot about that entirely :negative:

All I really remember about Angelica in that game is that rad moment in Ash's hometown where she and Rean have a buddy cop chase sequence

That scene is probably the most depraved writing I've seen in the trails series, at least the way they 'solve' the issue.

Also replaying CS1 I'd forgotten how much Sara uses Rean as a snowboard.

Yinlock posted:

The one bad thing about the move to 3d is that they don't really go as nuts with the action scenes anymore

While true, I'm sorry but the dance sequences in Crossbell are hilariously undermined by the limits of the art style.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Tesseraction posted:

That scene is probably the most depraved writing I've seen in the trails series, at least the way they 'solve' the issue.

Also replaying CS1 I'd forgotten how much Sara uses Rean as a snowboard.

While true, I'm sorry but the dance sequences in Crossbell are hilariously undermined by the limits of the art style.

They would have been undermined even more by the limits of Falcom's 3D animation budget.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That too. Look there's just a giant gap between how impressive what was shown on screen was and how the characters in game reacted to it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yinlock posted:

The biggest downside is losing the drawn character portraits, which were a highlight in both Sky and the Crossbell games (though the best and most unique in Sky).

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

The biggest downside is losing the drawn character portraits, which were a highlight in both Sky and the Crossbell games (though the best and most unique in Sky).

Crossbell's portraits are hit or miss(like 90% fine but Estelle my child what have they done to you) but Sky's artstyle wouldn't have meshed with Zero/Azure's tone very well.

Drawn portraits are always superior but at least the 3d ones lets them draw more attention to some NPCs rather than having a crowd of nobodies and Mr. Plot sitting there with his giant anime face shining for all to see

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah was was with Estelle's portrait in the Crossbell games....

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Erpy posted:

They would have been undermined even more by the limits of Falcom's 3D animation budget.

Yeah, when I played the Cold Steel games, even the newer ones felt like previous gen games. Better graphics would have been great.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb4KsDE5gFY&t=19s

thankfully this is what their fight scenes can look like now thanks to motion capture and modern grapics

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like that Trails games feel like a gen behind. They're charming to me.

E: Love me a double A or single A RPG.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Given games development hell, I see no reason to ever be on the cutting edge of graphics, especially at the sacrifice of things that actually matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 hours!)

leave the cinematic experience to FF games which not seem to take 10 years to make a new one now.

gameplay to the other regular rpgs.

that being said...err can we get the next Tales game alreay.