Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of which:

Test build done and it's really an incredible kit, especially since my last kit was the Mark II (gave it to my sister's kid, I'm sure it's already in gunpla heaven). Lots of little easy-to-lose parts especially on the chest, but when it all comes together you can adjust like a dozen different pistons and thrusters and it looks great. After making the HG Lupus Rex I thought this would be a nightmare to pose because of the snatched waist but it's solid as a rock. It can aim the massive anti-material rifle with one hand completely unsupported. The only fault is that it definitely wants some paint or markers on the inner frame but that's my intention anyway.

I did a small gently caress-up though and the c-clip that connects one of the shoulders got a little too stressed at some point. It hasn't broken and still holds the shoulder okay but the plastic is noticeably whiter, the fit is looser and I'm worried about it since I still need to tear-down, paint and re-build. Is there anything that can be done to reinforce it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

bandai needs to make more thunderbolt kits so we can get another movie

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I want the thunderbolt goog, zgog and acguy sooo bad :qq:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want the Dom.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Got the Zeong. Now I need the accessory set to go back up or order from the Japanese site since it’s still available.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

BisbyWorl posted:

The Nu's also fun, but also gets really repetitive if you leave all six fin funnels till the end so spread those around the build.

I picked up an RG Nu ff and honestly I might do that first because I only have to worry about one big funnel

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/O15RXnhQL8nvfYW/status/1646646261825798144

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Nice. Where can I buy those?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mindblast posted:

Nice. Where can I buy those?

Those are custom builds

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Oh. Bad assumption on my part. I can't read the text.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

bandai needs to make more thunderbolt kits so we can get another movie

I just browsed through lineart for the thunderbolt manga. There are some neat and some terrifying designs in there.

I see a bunch of titans era MS also in there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah... some of the later Thunderbolt chapters get a bit silly with early previews for Zeta era suits.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Oh. Bad assumption on my part. I can't read the text.

From right to left and top to bottom:

Aerial Rebuild
Stark Jegan
Zowort Heavy
Lfrith Ur (I think... it's gotten a custom paint job that is radically different from the Lfrith series)

The Lfrith is my least favorite of the bunch. While the others are all noisy, it feels like it has the most going on in the most distracting ways possible that make it difficult to tell what it was based on. I'm basically judging it from the shape of the V-fin. I think the Stark Jegan is best, simply because of the less is more approach, followed by the Zowort for largely the same reason. Aerial may as well be a completely different suit. My first reaction was, "Is this some interpretation of the EX-S?" before noticing the Permet windows.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I counter your argument on the merits of the customs with this: Gunpla is freedom

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Technically corfrect but if you twist pieces off the sprue you're still going to prison.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pierson posted:

Technically corfrect but if you twist pieces off the sprue you're still going to prison.

Now I want to see a model that’s lovingly painted except all the parts were brutally twisted off the sprues.

On that note, does anyone make little greebles you could just glue over all the sprue stubs?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Snowy posted:

Now I want to see a model that’s lovingly painted except all the parts were brutally twisted off the sprues.

On that note, does anyone make little greebles you could just glue over all the sprue stubs?

Get out of my head. When reading that post yesterday I thought to myself how funny would it be to make an absurdly detailed poo poo-build with like gate marks, a part that was snapped and glued together, some paint with a big old thumbprint in it....

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Get out of my head. When reading that post yesterday I thought to myself how funny would it be to make an absurdly detailed poo poo-build with like gate marks, a part that was snapped and glued together, some paint with a big old thumbprint in it....

This is the Expert trophy at SCGMC every year.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

My first mg I spun, nail clipped, and exactoed :x

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I heard that instead of using white paint, some used to just paint with white out if needed, and panel line with sharpies

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

MechaX posted:

I heard that instead of using white paint, some used to just paint with white out if needed, and panel line with sharpies

Are you sure they weren't just looking for plausible deniability when abusing inhalants?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I used nail clippers for years, and they cut better than a lot of the nippers I’ve tried.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://twitter.com/BandaiCollect/status/1646672176647380998?t=tiKyrJTnB9bsPsSpUbHosA&s=19

I'd already ordered Rose back in January. Does this mean that January order won't arrive until October either?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MillennialVulcan posted:

https://twitter.com/BandaiCollect/status/1646672176647380998?t=tiKyrJTnB9bsPsSpUbHosA&s=19

I'd already ordered Rose back in January. Does this mean that January order won't arrive until October either?

No, this is a new run of the kit. Whatever shipping date they gave you back then still applies.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Thank you! Not used to pre orders so I wasn't sure how it would work

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

They’ve put the rose up for sale so many times it really makes you wonder why they didn’t just do a regular release

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

El Burbo posted:

They’ve put the rose up for sale so many times it really makes you wonder why they didn’t just do a regular release

because they get your money directly and they have you for $10 shipping every time

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1647517780466597889?s=20

The Gunvolva, a new grunt suit that made its debut in today's episode of G-Witch, will have its HG out in June

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1647517780466597889?s=20

The Gunvolva, a new grunt suit that made its debut in today's episode of G-Witch, will have its HG out in June

Specifically, it's a take on the FX-9900 GX-Bits from Gundam X which was not a reference I expected to see in G-Witch.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

MillennialVulcan posted:

They start shipping this week.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Bimmi posted:

They start shipping this week.

Oh rad!

I had another general question, did anyone pick up the 1/100 Aerial Full Mechanics? Is it a good kit? Is it comparable to MG since its the same scale or is it basically the same thing with a different name?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

MillennialVulcan posted:

Oh rad!

I had another general question, did anyone pick up the 1/100 Aerial Full Mechanics? Is it a good kit? Is it comparable to MG since its the same scale or is it basically the same thing with a different name?

I believe that is coming out this month but hasn't launched yet.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

MillennialVulcan posted:

Oh rad!

Full Mechanics are basically HG with a little extra detail at the 1/100 scale.

The Aerial does look quite nice though.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The current FM kits have a shitload of external detail, possibly the most of any Bandai line right now.

As far as direct comparisons to MG go, FM has simplified internal structures similar to HG and no cockpit gimmick (so far), but in every other respect they seem more or less the same.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Anybody have experience with weathering? I'm thinking about some weathering markers but would like to know what other people used.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
What effect are you trying to achieve? Chipped paint? Bullet holes? Wear and tear? Rust stains? Scuffs and scratches? Grime?

The Scale Modeling thread in the Hobbies subforum will be a great resource in addition to the advice you get in here.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'll go take a look but to start just some basics stains and wear-and-tear. The problem is that it's weirdly hard to get good enamel paint in the UK so enamel washes may be difficult and I was looking at other ways to do it and the weathering markers popped up, as did sponging for rust.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Sponge chipping is pretty simple and effective. If you're willing to part from enamels, a lot of people use oil and acrylic to great effect.

Here is Marco Frisoni using oil washes for grime/streaks/panel lining. He breaks out the sponge chipping using acrylic paint around 25min. Also shows how to make light scuffs and scratches by just using lighter colors.

Richard Gray is one of my favorites and I try to emulate his freehand chipping technique. Here is one showcasing freehand paint chipping. Here is a pretty thorough rust/scratch job using acrylic + GW's contrast medium in place of oil washes.

Here is a pretty comprehensive tank job. One neat thing featured is chipping medium, which you can buy specially formulated or just use hairspray. Back in the day, modelers speckled rubber cement as a masking fluid, then rubbed it off with their fingers afterwards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well apparently the Zowort Heavy HG came out already a week back, and my order went straight to backorder :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well apparently the Zowort Heavy HG came out already a week back, and my order went straight to backorder :negative:

Same here bud

Also, I have 3 days before something auto ships from HLJ. Can I extend that? There’s a bunch of poo poo that I’m still waiting on.