Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ratings increased from week to week if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

People just love incest tits and dragons.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So Hedge Knight has been officially announced by HBO and GRRM is the writer and executive producer lmfao.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
HotD started with pretty good numbers, and then it's ratings skyrocketed when the people that watched the first few episodes apparently told all their friends that it wasn't poo poo. It's a very different story than GoT, but there isn't any catastrophic or bizarre production or script decisions and the showrunners seem to understand the concept of consistent character development, and plot themes. Honestly, the fact that they juggled a 16 year series of time skips with multiple actor changes including the two female leads, and audiences both followed the plot and still enjoyed it is impressive in itself.

EDIT: It was literally some of the best numbers HBO had before Last of Us blew everything completely out of the water.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hot D was better show than TLoU.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really don't think either will be remembered very fondly even a few years from now, but y'know what I'm happy that for now people are enjoying things.

Not happy people like GRRM get paid for farting out dragon droppings 30 years ago in order for it to happen, but there's always some shitfuck Boomer at the end of every tangible good in this world.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At least The Princess and the Queen contains a story that can be adapted to television.

I don’t know how they expect to turn Aegon’s Conquest into something watchable.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

If they made a show where the conquest is happening and we had 10 or so mini stories that happened during that time it could be really good

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One good idea I heard is that the story should be told primarily from the perspective of the Seven Kings.

Or however you count them. One was a queen.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

HotD was pretty good. I'd say a solid 7 or 8 out of 10. Not amazing but well done after GOT poo poo itself.
Like others said Paddy and Smith really elevated it for me.

Episode 8 with Paddy is one of the best GOT episodes ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9XBP07GeJY

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The worst thing I'll say about the Dragon show is it maybe goes too fast - they zip through decades of story super quickly when it could have maybe spent a little bit more time on some of the characters.

But its pretty darn good overall, on the same level of the best seasons of GoT

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I feel like CGI in HoTD are a notch below the original series' in quality (and GoT's CGI were hardly Avatar-tier to begin with).

I'm more forgiving of it for things that don't exist like dragons, because what else are they going to do, go to the dragon store and buy one? But the pilot had a garbage CGI garden and COME ON, they have a bigger budget than some countries, they can build a drat garden set. It's just laziness.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sure but have you thought it might just be cheaper to grind a CGI studio to dust instead of going through the effort of ~building~ something tangible.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I hate to say it with anything GRRM related but... I'm cautiously optimistic? I really liked the first season, and lol sure the first season of Game of Thrones was good too but, well, I've read the Fire and Blood book so I know there's a full, planned-out story that doesn't rely on rich boy producers coming up with their own ending since the author can't be bothered. And I really wanna see some of the stuff from the book onscreen, too.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

As much as a fat piece of poo poo he is, there’s a reason GoT was so popular. Regardless of his work ethic and personal life he’s a fairly decent writer and the world he created was very interesting at the time even if it doesn’t have as much impact as it used to since people have sped aped the style since. He’s still a fuckface that deserves all the ridicule.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
My thoughts about HOTD basically haven't changed since before it aired, although I'll concede it's a better entertainment product than I expected, it's a show that leans strong on GOT\ASOIAF memberries and at the end of the day it doesn't have much artistic merit on its own and it really shows at points, like every single mention of "the prophecy" automatically falls flat for me, but it does have its strength in that it is produced by a team that has a better grasp of "what made early seasons GOT work", they don't have a perfect grasp because it still sacrifices way too much 'gritty realism and relatable politics' for 'empty marvel-esque spectacle' but at least they're trying to strike a balance, D&D just leaned full-in on the show just being a vehicle to deliver the next stupid over-the-top action scene, HOTD is generally fine but to me it really just highlights how terrible D&D were at running GOT and it's a shame this team is getting a crack and secondary filler material that is nowhere near as interesting as ASOIAF.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

The best and worst thing I can say is that my conservative co-workers were all fans of it at first and completely dropped off talking about the show within a few weeks. It was still an enormous ratings hit, I'm pretty sure.

It was hilarious watching chuds online see-saw from "It's woke, I don't like it", to "It's not woke, I like it", "lol I'm using this show as a vehicle to let you know how much I hate Rings of Power" to "Oh no, it's woke again I guess, I don't like it again" week to week. Meanwhile normal people were like "Yaaas, #QueenBowl! Alicent is such a Karen!"

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

HOTD was ok, the political intrigue was great at times. The episode after Paddy's death was pretty top notch Rome quality in that respect. The problem I have with the TV adaptations is they don't capture the same "gently caress the royals this is really a story about how war and power affect everyone that doesn't have power" that GRRM tiptoed into with his writing.

I will give the guy credit though, he does actually write a fantasy story that touches on this stuff. Hopefully the Dunk & Egg series will be more of that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Viserys' entrance to the throme room was very memorable for me, on par with some of the better scenes from GoT.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lmao

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This person probably still thinks that GRRM is also going to swoop in one day and deliver the fabled Better Ending to Game of Thrones to wash the sins of the show's ending away from their precious little brain.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

It would be cool to get a new Dunk & Egg novella sometime in the next few decades I suppose

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Surely by the time the show catches up with the pages gurm will write new pages.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

This person probably still thinks that GRRM is also going to swoop in one day and deliver the fabled Better Ending to Game of Thrones to wash the sins of the show's ending away from their precious little brain.
Yeah i remember being a summer child during the 2000s, too. Sadly the night is long and full of wildcards and football blog posts.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Barreft posted:

Episode 8 with Paddy is one of the best GOT episodes ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9XBP07GeJY

I can only assume this is way more impactful in context

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I remember when I thought Stephen Spielberg must never have time to do anything between all the cartoons and movies he was making. After all he was an Executive Producer on so many things! Surely he had to be intimately involved as a Great Man.

I was loving 5 when I thought this.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I know it’s low hanging fruit but I am just continually fascinated by how these peoples’ brains work.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ve never blindly worshipped someone I have never met before. I wonder if life is great being so dumb.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I can only assume this is way more impactful in context

Yes, that moment is paying off like 7 prior episodes of interactions with basically everyone else in the room, specifically the dude who picks up the king's fallen crown and puts it back on his head because the first time you see him, he's lounging in the Iron Throne like Jaime Lannister and it makes you think he's going to try and usurp his brother the king when actually he was his strongest supporter the whole time, he was just a huge (and really fun to watch) rear end in a top hat.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know it’s low hanging fruit but I am just continually fascinated by how these peoples’ brains work.

Yeah why can’t they be normal and post in this thread for literal decades, and collaborate on some p deec pedophillic incest fan fiction instead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Because then they'd be you, and who the gently caress wants that?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, that moment is paying off like 7 prior episodes of interactions with basically everyone else in the room, specifically the dude who picks up the king's fallen crown and puts it back on his head because the first time you see him, he's lounging in the Iron Throne like Jaime Lannister and it makes you think he's going to try and usurp his brother the king when actually he was his strongest supporter the whole time, he was just a huge (and really fun to watch) rear end in a top hat.

Yeah this. and this was right before it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-8W8F5wRYQ

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 16, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I still haven't watched HotD and dunno if I will but it has to be better than the Rings of Power show was. They jammed centuries of events into weeks/months and it just comes across as a massive incoherent mess. RoP didn't poo poo the bed as hard as the final season of GoT but it certainly tried. Which is a shame, because a show focused on the Second Age could easily spend a season, or more, on each major event instead of a fraction of each episode of a single season.

Platystemon posted:

Hot D was better show than TLoU.

TLoU would be a good show if it properly cast Joel as the villain he is.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I still haven't watched HotD and dunno if I will but it has to be better than the Rings of Power show was. They jammed centuries of events into weeks/months and it just comes across as a massive incoherent mess. RoP didn't poo poo the bed as hard as the final season of GoT but it certainly tried. Which is a shame, because a show focused on the Second Age could easily spend a season, or more, on each major event instead of a fraction of each episode of a single season.
RoP isn't very well written.
RoP has a pointless sword training scene on a market among commoners (just walking by next to the fight) with REAL SWORDS(because lol) where the point of the training duel is to show you how good the main character is at sword (her fighting ability is really pointless in term of plot, there is no real crucial solo fight with her later that required it to be pointed out) and no matter how good the other guy is, it doesn't matter either because you will never see him again this season. It's a pointless action scene.
HotD got a sword training scene between all the future people who gonna kill each other later, when they are still teens, and it's with wooden swords, low stakes and it really instill the little drama which will turn into stabbed eyes and dragon snack sessions a few episodes later. Because the show understand it's about personal drama.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 16, 2023

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The Dragonpit stuff in the penultimate episode of HotD was incredible stupid and has me deeply concerned for the future of the series because it was stupid in all the ways and for all the reasons as the stupid bits of Game of Thrones, and seems to suggest that they still - like most of Hollywood - do not understand that spectacle is meaningless on its own and that it is drama, not spectacle, that makes a good show.

That said, the rest of it was very good, and I went in expecting to hate it. Other than that, my only real issue is the prophecy stuff others have brought up. It's beyond stupid.
Besides being imperialist apologetics, it makes no sense. Aegon invaded and conquered Westeros so he could save it from a threat that was in no way a threat to anyone but the Westerosi. And he was so concerned with this threat that despite ruling for decades himself, he never did anything about it, and let the institution meant to defend against it fall into neglect. His heirs were all told this secret and about the threat, but also never once did anything about it.

In over three centuries of Targaryen rule, the only Targ monarch to ever do anything that suggested they were concerned about the Others was that one Queen giving them the Gift and bolstering some of the castles. That's loving it.

It's a desperate and stupid attempt to both link HotD to the events of GoT, and to try and salvage the wet fart that was the Night King.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m hoping that the Incident at the Coronation was the show runners suffering from acute action withdrawal and that with actual scripted battles between Blacks/Greens/proxies taking place, while they might depict these battles inelegantly, they’re not going to take a wrecking ball to the general structure of the plot to get their action fix in.

The scene with Damon drawing out the Crabfeeder’s men is not all that well written or choreographed, but it’s self‐contained succ. It doesn’t corrode the rest of the show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah the Dragon Pit scene was basically "We're constrained by GRRM's plot and if Rhaenys does the smart thing here and just lights everyone on fire, the show is over and Rhaenyra wins. But that's not how the book goes so... poo poo."

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I hope the Dragonpit scene pays off when King's Landing decides they've had enough dragon shenanigans.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

When I first read that Dragonpit scene in the books it struck me as wildly improbable, no morale as fragile as a mobs. First blast of Dragonflame and they'd have broken and run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

mind the walrus posted:

Even then how do you wrap it up? Like I'm not saying it can't be done or done well, it's just one of those writing challenges that effectively asks the person to rewrite the story from the foundation up.

Yeah, and that could actually be good or actually happen. I guess I'm looking at this through the lens that GURM never really considered an endgame of this story, and if he did, it was not including all the new characters in Feast/Dance. Fake Aegon has not improved the story.