Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Gravid Topiary posted:

integrated weapon stabilization and mobile concealment unit

god help you if that horse sees a ant or something that triggers its flip out response. don't be fooled by staged photographs and the myth of a calm horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
What's the 92 and 98

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the Soviets designed this incredible Antarctic land cruiser in the '50s: https://youtu.be/f6R-h06IsJw

USA tried our hands at it earlier in the late '30s, but it didn't go so well. We went with giant rubber tires thinking they'd move well over ice and snow, but they sucked rear end!

There's something atavistic about these fantastic machines, even the failed American prototype

It's interesting how the Soviet Union actually produced the vehicles America could only fantasise about in the form of GI Joe toys. There is something to that, no doubt...

Tankbuster posted:

which is why ukraine should just abandon the slav stuff altogether and become pre avestan iranian, worshipping sky father and earth mother while riding horses all day.

Ukrainians are Sumerians. Uruk = Ur-Ukraine

euphronius posted:

Christianity is already a syncretic religion with European paganism so I don’t really understand the distinctions that article is making

The "paganism" of the Völkisch movement was a fantasy creation of 19th century bourgeoisie nationalists with extremely limited and unscientific understandings of actual pre-Christian practices but a deep conviction that their fanfiction theologies were revelatory of an eternal racial spirit.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

god help you if that horse sees a ant or something that triggers its flip out response. don't be fooled by staged photographs and the myth of a calm horse

Yep. Greasy Tales (formerly known as Sexual Lobster) explained it best in this short music video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNEfcmIxlTY

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

It's interesting how the Soviet Union actually produced the vehicles America could only fantasise about in the form of GI Joe toys. There is something to that, no doubt...

iirc the us and its vassals have plenty of gi joe looking land vehicles and all the big rear end ones have always been kinda poo poo. inland antarctic science people are insane. also nothing anyone has produced lives up to the HISS 3

soviet/russian icebreakers utterly embarrass the US ones though

vs

not even close

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Cuttlefush posted:

iirc the us and its vassals have plenty of gi joe looking land vehicles and all the big rear end ones have always been kinda poo poo. inland antarctic science people are insane. also nothing anyone has produced lives up to the HISS 3

lol that each one has their own number and they're not sequential

edit: oic i thought they were a conglomerated bugfuck contraption and not 2 separate little guys, whoops

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

If not pet, why pet shaped???

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
miniature horses are actually pretty chill, however. there's some kind of reverse dog size/psycho relationship at play.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

lol that each one has their own number and they're not sequential

edit: oic i thought they were a conglomerated bugfuck contraption and not 2 separate little guys, whoops

Cobra commander subcontracted to Lockheed Martin

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I saw a transformers plastic toy megatron that transformed into some GI Joe vehicle somewhere. Maybe that's the future of all terrain warfare.

edit - a HISS tank, which I think might be the toy above. Comes with baroness action figure. Someone out there is probably mail ordering one immediately.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 05:49 on Apr 16, 2023

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Corky Romanovsky posted:

What's the 92 and 98

I'm guessing they're the 98th TDF battalion, who seem pretty Political:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/98th_Territorial_Defence_Battalion_%27Azov-Dnipro%27

Not sure about that guys 92 tattoo though, nothing comes up on Google except for the 92nd brigade.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

soviet/russian icebreakers utterly embarrass the US ones though

vs

not even close

Laser Tank

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Can't be a laser tank. It doesn't look like it drove out of Tron.

Design language people. Very important.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lol i did not know about this one. that's a lot of rubies $$$

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That old laser tank would actually be perfect in I don't know, a low tech battletech campaign. Or pretending it was a post apocalyptic laser tank in Palladium's Rifts used to shoot down balrog demons or something.

Basically the shell is fine but you need a little super science in the guts. Some solid handwavium tech.

Would have been an amazing prop for an avengers movie as a one scene wonder.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like 8x MLA which would be insanely heat generating even if you're firing them sequentially and I don't see there being enough room inside for all the heatsinks while still leaving room for crew

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Someone even made a cute toy of it, circling back to GI Joe:

https://internethobbies.com/collections/trumpeter-military-models/products/trumpeter-military-models-1-35-soviet-1k17-szhatie-laser-tank-kit

30 kg of artificial rubies which made the whole system very expensive to produce

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Slavvy posted:

That looks like 8x MLA which would be insanely heat generating even if you're firing them sequentially and I don't see there being enough room inside for all the heatsinks while still leaving room for crew

honestly not too hard. doesn't even need full double heat sinks or anything

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

from replies

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

The crew can dismount and operate it externally while wearing heat resisitant environmental suits and a control panel connected with a physical wire. 100 c-bills for the extension cord upgrade that allows the crew to operate it from a safe distance if the onboard fusion core cooks off. Besides which its meant to operate in sub zero atmospheres.

More of a redeployable turret in practical terms but technically still a tracked tank of sorts.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

No "ghost heat" on tanks either.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

Now do it with a 40 ton :colbert:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Now do it with a 40 ton :colbert:

8 ER small lasers I could see.

edit - We'll call it the urban street surprise. It deploys with urbies and waits in concealed cover (parking garages etc) for the trashcans to lure enemy mediums and such to run after it. 8 smalls in the back should do it. I know I was always guilty of taking paper thin rear armor into battle.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 06:53 on Apr 16, 2023

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

*punches a hole in the thread drywall* that is CLEARLY a PONY and not a HORSE you FOOL

lol if they actually fire a gd SKS that close to the PONY'S head during training

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
lmao, guy mann, who got banned for doing nothing but posting racist poo poo for years is now a pro-brown moses pro-ukraine guy
https://twitter.com/SA__moment/status/1647277657715769345

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/simonahac/status/1647448113760858117

bye bye german nuclear now to sanction china and dust off morgenthau

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
germans are very bad at realising just how hosed they are

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

germans are very bad at realising just how hosed they are

Incredibly so. Or credibly, really.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Danann posted:

bye bye german nuclear now to sanction china and dust off morgenthau

Better build another LNG import terminal!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Freezer posted:

Better build another LNG import terminal!

They can build all the LNG terminals they want, it's all going to be yank gas at premium prices. Wallets out folks.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm scared of, and hate horses.

Horse artillery, bitch.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

fermun posted:

lmao, guy mann, who got banned for doing nothing but posting racist poo poo for years is now a pro-brown moses pro-ukraine guy

loving lol at all the terminal main character dweebs who remain so obsessed with the forums that they keep starting offsites and twitter accounts about it

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

fermun posted:

how do you people figure out which twitter SA freak is which SA account, I'm still flabbergasted about someone connecting martin random and the UAE falcon guy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lockheed Martin Random

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

-

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Doktor Avalanche posted:

how do you people figure out which twitter SA freak is which SA account, I'm still flabbergasted about someone connecting martin random and the UAE falcon guy

following the trail of gaping hot takes?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

so to recap, for Russia to be able to stop the SMO, it just needs the US to coincidentally tell Poland it now owns Western Ukraine

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

fermun posted:

Love to have my citizen journalism be funded by the National Endowment for Democracy and very normal organizations like the Auxilium foundation.

quote:

The purpose of the foundation is: "Protection and promotion of idealistic and cultural Roman Catholic values ​​and, in general, charity both in Switzerland and abroad."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is that Twitter post arguing BM should not have been banned for being a gov agent ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

is that Twitter post arguing BM should not have been banned for being a gov agent ?

Buddy we've got an entire subforum arguing this