Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

As a 6800xt owner

Don't buy AMD

Why? I was thinking of going to team red after this 3070.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

As a 6800xt owner

Don't buy AMD

I'm a Linux user. So it's the other way around for me.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Mega Comrade posted:

So now the 4070 is out. We going to see a response from AMD at all soon? 7700/7800?

Right now it seems both companies don't really care about competing and this whole generation is gonna suck.

Could just pick up a 6800xt for £500ish I guess.
there'll be something eventually (and the navi 32 and 33 specs leaked long ago, and navi 33 laptop gpus are already out) but there's not any rumours about release dates or skus yet, so a few months away at the earliest

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just a word of warning or reminder to anyone looking to buy a GPU brace, because this is something I just ran into myself (oops): don't shop for them on Newegg. Newegg is apparently lousy with drop shipping frauds currently. I was looking for a stand-style brace, and they were all around $18 to $25. Seemed high, but I thought maybe the (year-old) story about 2080 Tis dying from sag that's been making the rounds again scared people into buying a bunch, driving the price up. But as it turns out, they're just charging you $20 to place an order for a $10 item on Amazon on your behalf. So don't pay double like an idiot as I did and just buy this thing instead (the item they're drop shipping)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
as a 6900xt linux user, i couldn't be happier

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I've been seeing more people talking about gaming on Linux, is it good now or is it still firmly in the "kind of odd people do it for personal reasons" category?

Aren't most games still running through extra layers that add overhead and/or jankiness to the experience?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Linux gaming got a tremenous boost from the Steam Deck and Valve's Proton compatibility layer. There's even cases now where thanks to shader compilation garbage a game will run better on linux than windows. It's nothing like it was even a few years ago.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Truga posted:

as a 6900xt linux user, i couldn't be happier

Same.

If you haven’t, look into undervolt/overclock. Can make considerable gains for not much work.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

power crystals posted:

Linux gaming got a tremenous boost from the Steam Deck and Valve's Proton compatibility layer. There's even cases now where thanks to shader compilation garbage a game will run better on linux than windows. It's nothing like it was even a few years ago.

that said, multiplayer is still hit or miss due to the anticheat situation, particularly competitive shooters

https://areweanticheatyet.com

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hardware Unboxed dropped another video in their DLSS comparison series which compared native rendering to DLSS 2 and FSR 2 in 24 games.

Not 100% sure why they're not doing DLSS3 but it's still a great video that's worth a watch if you are curious about this kind of thing. Just curious, is the community perception that DLSS 3 has better upscaling than DLSS 2, or is DLSS 3 just the added layers such as frame generation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5B_dqi_Syc

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nvidia releases many incremental updates for the DLSS upscaling, and past a certain point they are considered part of DLSS3. TPU has a list of all the versions:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/

they really made things unesseserily confusing by combining upscaling (which still works on all RTX cards) and framegen (which doesn't) under the DLSS banner, they should have kept that name just for upscaling and called framegen something else like DLFG

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Adding to the confusion is that the DLSS2 (spatial upsampling) dll files now have version numbers going into 3.x, even though they're a completely different thing from DLSS3/DLSS-G (temporal upsampling). The Techpowerup download pages have each of them on their own page.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think nvidia's idea was for DLSS3 to collectively refer to (the newer versions of) DLSS Upscaling and DLSS Frame Generation, but they fumbled the messaging and now everyone thinks of DLSS3 as synonymous with frame generation

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Taima posted:

Hardware Unboxed dropped another video in their DLSS comparison series which compared native rendering to DLSS 2 and FSR 2 in 24 games.

Not 100% sure why they're not doing DLSS3 but it's still a great video that's worth a watch if you are curious about this kind of thing. Just curious, is the community perception that DLSS 3 has better upscaling than DLSS 2, or is DLSS 3 just the added layers such as frame generation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5B_dqi_Syc

Hardware Unboxed is using "DLSS 2" to mean DLSS Super Resolution. They're just testing every game with the version of DLSS it comes with. At least one comes with DLSS Super Resolution 3.1.2.

Instant Grat posted:

Adding to the confusion is that the DLSS2 (spatial upsampling) dll files now have version numbers going into 3.x, even though they're a completely different thing from DLSS3/DLSS-G (temporal upsampling). The Techpowerup download pages have each of them on their own page.

The way you're supposed to refer to these technologies now is just "DLSS Super Resolution" and "DLSS Frame Generation," and both of those together with Reflex make up the "DLSS 3" package. It is possible to have Super Resolution versions 2.X paired with FG though, so it's kind of a weird situation. In their DLSS documentation now though, Nvidia has dropped any mention of "DLSS 2" or "DLSS 3." "DLSS 3" is just a marketing term for the most part that Nvidia uses when they want to show crazy performance numbers achieved using both Super Resolution and Frame Generation.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
doesn't help that each version of fsr 2 is a huge upgrade, but people just talk about "fsr 2" without reference to whether it's .1 or .2. even re4 don't bother to mention the version, even though they're using fsr 2.2

dlss also suddenly cutting of built-in sharpness without any change in naming doesn't help either

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hardware Unboxed is using "DLSS 2" to mean DLSS Super Resolution. They're just testing every game with the version of DLSS it comes with. At least one comes with DLSS Super Resolution 3.1.2.

The way you're supposed to refer to these technologies now is just "DLSS Super Resolution" and "DLSS Frame Generation," and both of those together with Reflex make up the "DLSS 3" package. It is possible to have Super Resolution versions 2.X paired with FG though, so it's kind of a weird situation. In their DLSS documentation now though, Nvidia has dropped any mention of "DLSS 2" or "DLSS 3." "DLSS 3" is just a marketing term for the most part that Nvidia uses when they want to show crazy performance numbers achieved using both Super Resolution and Frame Generation.

DLSS SR and DLSS FG would be fine, and then simply versionining of those individual features. I guess the reviewers'll eventually catch up

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

doesn't help that each version of fsr 2 is a huge upgrade, but people just talk about "fsr 2" without reference to whether it's .1 or .2. even re4 don't bother to mention the version, even though they're using fsr 2.2

AMDs naming guidelines say to call it "AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 2", specifically without the minor version

why? :iiam:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
that does sound like something amd would do

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i'd like to see one of these upscaling SDKs include a feature which generates a ground-truth screenshot (freeze the game and accumulate 128 samples per pixel or something absurd like that) to use as the reference point when evaluating upscalers

currently we just have to eyeball which looks the most correct, but it doesn't have to be that way

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
true but that's like every graphics setting

the most hilarious setting is probably the sharpness slider without having real-time feedback inside of the settings menu

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There is no correct, because the game is fiction and not a representation of reality. Who’s to say that the art director didn’t intend to have shadowing effects with motion but just couldn’t get someone to write the necessary shaders?

The developer of the game should provide a set of reference settings that best represent their artistic vision for the game, and then all others evaluated as per-pixel deviation from it over a fixed benchmark.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Taima posted:

I've been seeing more people talking about gaming on Linux, is it good now or is it still firmly in the "kind of odd people do it for personal reasons" category?

Aren't most games still running through extra layers that add overhead and/or jankiness to the experience?

Steam deck has completely changed the landscape. But it depends on what you play. If you are mostly playing singleplayer games through steam then its a pretty smooth experience, you lose maybe 10-15fps, some games actually run better weirdly.
For multiplayer games, anti-cheat makes it a toss up, some support proton, some do not.

As for games outside of steam, things like lutris and heroic game launcher have made it much easier but its not quite as easy as steam.

https://www.protondb.com/ is invaluable.

For cards, Linux is opposite land to windows, Nvidia have propriety drivers that can be a massive pain in the arse to get working, depending on your linux flavour of choice. AMD however scrapped their drivers and redid them from scratch and open source, so they are baked into the linux kernel now and work out of the box flawlessly.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Mega Comrade posted:

So now the 4070 is out. We going to see a response from AMD at all soon? 7700/7800?

Right now it seems both companies don't really care about competing and this whole generation is gonna suck.

Could just pick up a 6800xt for £500ish I guess.
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1647588207389818880

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Steam deck has completely changed the landscape.

They are also on track to have sold 3+ million decks by the end of this year.

The Asus handheld could possibly take some from that though as the rumors are it will be priced similar to the high end deck.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

repiv posted:

i'd like to see one of these upscaling SDKs include a feature which generates a ground-truth screenshot (freeze the game and accumulate 128 samples per pixel or something absurd like that) to use as the reference point when evaluating upscalers

currently we just have to eyeball which looks the most correct, but it doesn't have to be that way

The thing is, it's not still images that matter (DLSS is already incredibly good there, to the point where it's almost a reasonable substitute for still-image ground truth), but motion. Doing a 128spp per frame motion ground truth and comparing that/generating differences against upscalers would be ideal, but it would also require a game to work like Quake 3 where benchmarks produced the same set of frames every time and you judged GPUs by how quickly they could produce that set of frames.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

true, evaluating image quality in motion would still be difficult in most games

having a still-image reference would at least make it easy to tell how sharp details are supposed to be, to determine to what extent upscalers are using post-sharpening as a crutch

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Mega Comrade posted:

Steam deck has completely changed the landscape. But it depends on what you play. If you are mostly playing singleplayer games through steam then its a pretty smooth experience, you lose maybe 10-15fps, some games actually run better weirdly.
For multiplayer games, anti-cheat makes it a toss up, some support proton, some do not.

As for games outside of steam, things like lutris and heroic game launcher have made it much easier but its not quite as easy as steam.

https://www.protondb.com/ is invaluable.

For cards, Linux is opposite land to windows, Nvidia have propriety drivers that can be a massive pain in the arse to get working, depending on your linux flavour of choice. AMD however scrapped their drivers and redid them from scratch and open source, so they are baked into the linux kernel now and work out of the box flawlessly.

Tbh, in my admittedly small sample size of one, I've had a way better experience with nvidias proprietary drivers in Linux than AMDs open source ones.

Distros like the *buntus and pop will install them for you as part of the setup wizard - the buntus will even automatically sign the mods for secure boot. Little bit more annoying in something like fedora where you have to add nonfree repos and set up akmod, but once they're installed they just.. work.

Meanwhile I've had substantial instability with my integrated Radeon 680m, hard to say whether that's on AMDs drivers or Asus though.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

As a 6800xt owner

Don't buy AMD

as a vega56 owner, amd is running good for me.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

As ridiculous a card as it is (power draw, size), I ordered a 6950xt to replace a gtx 1080. I would have preferred an Nvidia card, but they don't cut prices as aggressively on older stock. The 6950 new is $600-$650--I feel less snookered and dirty buying it. So AMD has that, at least.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So I've been researching cards in preparation for a long-overdue upgrade (currently rocking a 970) - from what I can see the recently released 4070 kinda looks like the best value proposition/sweet spot card? My understanding of it is that it'll do RTX at 4K in a pinch if you're willing to use DLSS and at 1440 if not fairly comfortably, and that while the TI variant is a bit better it's not particularly cost-effective if you don't really care about hitting much more than 60FPS at max settings. Bearing in mind that I live in Austalia where tech prices are jacked to the gills and the prices of cards are like:

RTX 4070 AUD$1,100
RTX 4070 TI AUD $1,300
RTX 4080 AUD$1,800
RTX 4090 AUD$2,700

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah 4070 is the vaguely sane price/performance card by “old” metrics, and yeah if you run at 1440 and use DLSS and don’t care about FPS over 60 it’s fine

Also sorry about your dollarydoos

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Tbh after adjusting for the exchange rate those prices aren't that far off what you'd pay in the us.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 4070 Ti sorta performs better than the 4070 proportional to the price difference there, so it really just depends on how much you're willing to spend i think.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
you can compare the prices to the performance benchmark here to see the performance/AUD, too

kliras fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 17, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I think you posted the 1080p graph twice instead of one of them being the 1440p version.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
fixed!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Even with tax, the 4070 should be under AUD 1000 or you're really getting ripped off.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the cheapest 4070 in australia seems to be ~940 aud at the moment which is a little better than the exchange rate + tax and well under the terrible msrp of 1109 aud

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the 4070 is super easy to cool, so the model you pick basically comes down to vanity. getting a founder's edition or even asus dual is pretty much the same performance as everything else. might help you shave off some bucks on a 4070

the fe doesn't even have a vapour chamber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

As a 6800xt owner

Don't buy AMD

My 6800xt runs just fine too.

Bum cards and bad driver installs do happen randomly to anyone though.