Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

RBA Starblade posted:

I know, but I was hoping that when the mission said it'd open up new markets it'd make them a psuedo faction or just give them SS1. I didn't really think it'd do literally nothing lol

Still, just dangling it's what I needed to get me to do anything, so it did its job. All I need in an sandbox is an objective, no matter how vague :v:

e: Lol the Terrans appear to be hauling rear end over to wipe them out now, even though I told them they're no threat. Probably just shouldn't have said anything :haw:

I just completed the pre-Xenon purge of that plot and within hours there were a dozen dead Yaki ships outside of my shipyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I know, but I was hoping that when the mission said it'd open up new markets it'd make them a psuedo faction or just give them SS1. I didn't really think it'd do literally nothing lol

Still, just dangling it's what I needed to get me to do anything, so it did its job. All I need in an sandbox is an objective, no matter how vague :v:

e: Lol the Terrans appear to be hauling rear end over to wipe them out now, even though I told them they're no threat. Probably just shouldn't have said anything :haw:

I think I remember using the mod that allows you to sell stations to NPCs to sell a shipyard to the Yaki after finishing their questline and they never did print any ships or try to get their economy going. So I guess the AI code just isn't there.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Yeah I'm convinced what that blurb literally just means is once you clear savage spur you can supply components to their shipyard. I think the only blueprints and jobs they have access to is their fighter and corvette, and will build raiding parties forever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I started an Untested explorer start, you know, the classic 5k credits + Disco, and apparently I can't do the player HQ questline anymore? the Boron expansion seems to have Boso Ta just jump the player HQ right to Heretics End immediately?

I think that it might be whichever you do first, if you go to heretics end then he does that but possibly if you do the the PHQ plot from the data leaks first, he doesn't? I had a message from him to scan data leaks.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I restarted the Segaris start earlier today, PHQ plot fired as per normal, but I held off on doing the Find Boron plot until I did it.

Upon retrospect I probably should have just gone to Heretic's End first, I feel like that's a better place to have the HQ.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Antigravitas posted:

Crystals to buy a miner, let it mine nvidium that you hawk to trade stations, then more miners to mine silicon. Then I usually build a trade station for mining, because it lets miners sell much further out with a seminar or two for the manager.

What is needed for setting up a mining/trade station? I built a basic station, a few docks, some container/solid storage modules, and assigned some M Miners to mine for it, and then a couple more M Miners to trade for it, but the Trader miners are just sitting around with "No trades found in allowed sectors" even though there is at least one silicon buyer in the same system as the station and they supposedly have a 2 sector range thanks to a 2 star manager.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What are the prices set at? The station may not be selling at the desired price.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sell price was set to automatic, which appears to be putting it at max sell price?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sell price was set to automatic, which appears to be putting it at max sell price?

Right, so what you want to do is set the sell price lower, normally it will try to sell based on how full the ware is but I don't know how that interacts with trade wares. It is possible if you set a max storage volume it will still do that, but the AI will not, I think, actually buy ores from your station because AI miners are not set to trade, and normal traders can't carry it. But your trading miners will always try to sell at the best price they can find. The issue is I do not think they will sell lower than your station's trade price is set to, so you likely want to set that at minimum and then your traders will just try to find the best space to offload it, essentially functioning exactly like a sector miner except they coordinate using the station and its manager's trade range.

If you wanted to you could even set a buy order at minimum price and then AI miners would sell to you at the minimum price and you could try to offload it at a higher price elsewhere.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You need to:

• Add the ware to the station in station overview via "Select Trade Wares"
  • Optional: Disable "automatic storage allocation" and set an explicit allocation so you don't overstock
  • Optional: Buy Offer: Add a trade rule that only allows your own ships to trade with the station
  • Add a Sell Offer
  • Optional: Sell Offer: Set a fixed price so you can tell when storage fills up. Automatic pricing drops the price as storage fills up, but you usually don't actually want dumping prices.

If should look something like this:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I love how absolutely stupid the astrid is, thing's way too big and flies like a loving barge, takes half the sector to stop lmao

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well I set the sell price to the minimum and the trader miners are now shipping silicon out, but despite having a 3 sector range, seem to be favoring the closest buying stations instead of the further stations that are buying silicon for more. They also don't seem to always leave with a full load of silicon, instead they take off only partly filled. Do clustered hexes (EG: all of the Grand Exchange) no longer count as one sector?

I suppose I could raise the sale price minimum, but I'll have to figure this out tomorrow, if I can. I've stayed up too late already.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The clusters do still count as one sector afaik. Traders will reserve sections of the inventory so while you might have say, 2000 ore in the station, that won't necessarily mean a freighter leaves with 2000, you could end up with two going out with that split between them.

I'm not sure how prioritization works also, but Antigravitas' post above outlines instructions for setting it so that your storage will slowly fill and lower the price over time until a viable trade is hit, which should hopefully allow you to maximise per unit price.

Also do you have visibility on the stations? I think your ships prioritize trading with stations that have been recently seen or have satellite coverage, and may actually not even be able to trade with stations which are faded out on the map? You can either satellite them up or buy a trade offer subscription for the faction which I believe gives you that info automatically.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Antigravitas posted:

You need to:

• Add the ware to the station in station overview via "Select Trade Wares"
  • Optional: Disable "automatic storage allocation" and set an explicit allocation so you don't overstock
  • Optional: Buy Offer: Add a trade rule that only allows your own ships to trade with the station
  • Add a Sell Offer
  • Optional: Sell Offer: Set a fixed price so you can tell when storage fills up. Automatic pricing drops the price as storage fills up, but you usually don't actually want dumping prices.

If should look something like this:

So you're buying at 56 and selling at 55?

Or does that mean your minimum sale price is 55 and they will sell automagically to anyone who's willing to buy at over 55?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"buying" in this sense at the maximum price but with a trade rule restriction which means that it will only accept "trades" from your own ships, which is to say your miners who get the resources for free, then selling at just under the maximum price, so only to stations which are almost empty.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

So you're buying at 56 and selling at 55?

Or does that mean your minimum sale price is 55 and they will sell automagically to anyone who's willing to buy at over 55?

The buy amount doesn't really matter because he's got a trade rule applied to only buy from his own ships.

For selling, yes they'll sell at 55 or more.

Auto pricing sets the price depending on how full the allocated storage is. This is how the ai sets prices too. It can be useful as a priority signal if you're doing internal logistics- stations with lower inventory- therefore higher buy prices- will get serviced first by your own traders.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I always read the tip that trade stations should have no production modules at all to work correctly, is that still the case?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure how that would interact but you can just designate trade wares for any station.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm interested in giving this game a try and bought a bundle of most of the expansions a while ago (all but the newest one and split vendetta). For a new player, is it worth getting the last two expansions, or do they just add alternate starts for experienced players?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The boron are cool, their ships are cool albeit rather sectioned off. Their whole bit is pretty sectioned off actually, they have only one connection point into the wider universe and their ships and equipment are not cross compatible with other factions so unless you really want to use boron stuff, probably not that important.

I would say split vendetta is a good expansion because it adds a bunch of new space to the north of the galaxy which is pretty sparse and lawless with the splits being assholes and also riddled with xenon, the galactic north is kind of a hellhole which I think the universe as a whole benefits from, plus their guns and ships are fun and can be used with the wider commonwealth stuff.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Can someone confirm or deny that enemy NPC's, or at least Xenon , have a strong bias to prioritize the player over everything else?
I've been fiddling with watching cinematic battles play out in sector with a combination of livestream camera and actually teleporting on board a random fighter to watch the action from a pov perspective.
I always notice that the Xenon will focus the gently caress out of whatever ship i'm on.
I've been looking at fighter-capital battles through the livestream camera , and Xenon K's rarely shoot off their big turrets vs fighters except the occasional stray shot.
But when I teleport onto a Chimera, they will without fault shoot the gravitons at it.
Remember, I'm not flying the ship, I'm just standing in the back of the ship with camera set to outside-ship.
Am I going crazy? Do the Xenon "know" ?

EDIT: I have not fiddled around with the Boron stuff, am still working through the Pirate DLC. I made friends with those VIG guys just to steal the blueprint for their heavy fighter, now I can actually start blowing them up.
Can I mount boron guns on my non-boron carrier fighters?
I use Teladi fighters , or anything that looks rough and scrappy, and I want to put those gattling ion guns on my fighters , mainly for the looks. Can I do that?

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 16, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the only sense in which ive noticed enemies prioritize the player is that if you shoot them they almost without fail will switch to you as their target.

and unfortunately no, all the Boron weapons are Boron exclusive, although that one is probably easy to mod (with caveats for the turrets). stuff is tag based, you'll note that most weapon mounts are tagged as 'Standard' 'Missile', terran mounts are usually additionally tagged 'High Energy' (meaning Terran guns), whereas Boron mounts are tagged 'Boron' 'Missile'. Without the Standard tag they just dont work on most ships (which is kinda funny lore wise, the Argon and Boron literally use common architecture.)

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 16, 2023

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

I love how absolutely stupid the astrid is, thing's way too big and flies like a loving barge, takes half the sector to stop lmao

I love that the Astrid is completely based off the idea that you’d obviously have a chauffeur ferry you around in it because it’s absolutely miserable to drive by yourself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aftter kicking the Xenon out of the north they appear to have finally woken up in the south and I think I might have doomed the Teladi

Well, at least that one station's invincible, right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I've noticed that sometimes my traders are getting stuck on "no trades" even when there are trades, and after some careful observation I've noticed they get like this whenever my miners seem to be bringing back hauls I have 3 M sized landing pads (from three 1M6S docks). Do ships reserve landing pads when inbound to a station even when they're a sector or more away? I really need to rep up and get that 6M dock if so...

That said, setting the sell price higher has been getting them to venture further to sell my ore/silicon, though hilariously the "3 sectors away" apparently only concerns itself with the end point as they're taking the highway through multiple sectors to Grand Exchange from Second Contact cause thats apparently faster than the straight 3 sector route.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

3 posted:

I love that the Astrid is completely based off the idea that you’d obviously have a chauffeur ferry you around in it because it’s absolutely miserable to drive by yourself.

Incredibly so lmao, genuinely the stopping distance is amazing and the steering is garbage. I'm considering seeing what engine and chassis mods I can put on in order to make it flyable.

It's funny because the boron hydra is also very fast, not quite as fast as the astrid but pretty dang fast, and actually handles really well, and was what i was using to cap the astrid because it's what did the plot in.

The cargo bay on the astrid is very nice, but even the cockpit view is not great because it has that big loving beam across the middle of the windscreen. It's a great ship to have but a chore to actually fly.

I've taken to just crashing into stations in order to stop because otherwise I end up overshooting by 20km.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I feel like that's probably just a losing proposition, it seems like the explicit purpose of the ship is for you to do empire management stuff from the office in the back or the suite up top while some poor sap taxis you around your burgeoning space empire.

My favorite detail about the ship is that the encyclopedia entries for its unique systems are mostly just Amazon user reviews.

e: speaking of encyclopedia entries, imagine my surprise that Egosoft finally added in entries for non-Argon, non-DLC ships. Only took them what, five years? The one for the Callisto is great:

3 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 16, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I've noticed that sometimes my traders are getting stuck on "no trades" even when there are trades, and after some careful observation I've noticed they get like this whenever my miners seem to be bringing back hauls I have 3 M sized landing pads (from three 1M6S docks). Do ships reserve landing pads when inbound to a station even when they're a sector or more away? I really need to rep up and get that 6M dock if so...

That said, setting the sell price higher has been getting them to venture further to sell my ore/silicon, though hilariously the "3 sectors away" apparently only concerns itself with the end point as they're taking the highway through multiple sectors to Grand Exchange from Second Contact cause thats apparently faster than the straight 3 sector route.

It's possible they do, you want to add a huge amount of docking space on any station really. The 6M docks are very helpful for this and it can also be a reason to use S ships where possible. A swarm of S class ships is easy to handle docking for and frees up space for Ms.

3 posted:

I feel like that's probably just a losing proposition, it seems like the explicit purpose of the ship is for you to do empire management stuff from the office in the back or the suite up top while some poor sap taxis you around your burgeoning space empire.

My favorite detail about the ship is that the encyclopedia entries for its unique systems are mostly just Amazon user reviews.

It's quite possibly the case yes, but it does have probably more firepower and utility than anything else I own, so for the price of some mod bits I might as well try.

Still not sure they'll pry the hydra away from me though if only because I can use the chassis slot for the radar booster. Wish there were more ways to improve that. I really genuinely don't know why they don't let you add functionality by using weapon/shield slots for other things like a sensor boom.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

the 'failed trades' thing is really irritating because the notifier seems to persist for like.... many hours, if not forever, if you don't manually clear it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Now that I've bought the plans, time to build my shipbreaking station! I don't really need it now but I own that one shipwreck sector so I may as well. All I need is to slap on the solar panels! Let's see now, I'll need

uh

wow

gently caress you!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the 'failed trades' thing is really irritating because the notifier seems to persist for like.... many hours, if not forever, if you don't manually clear it.

Forever, and they patched them in to retroactively show up on the map lol. I have them going back seven ingame days. You have to manually remove them one by one. They're especially annoying on carriers when all the fighters shove each other out of the way to dock.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did say they draw a lot of power lol. Almost like they were designed in a system with 1200% solar output.

On the plus side, once you build the first one, you can use the scrap processor to print the parts for the next five :v:

E: how do you do, fellow terrans:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 16, 2023

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Did they unlock Scale Plate Pact reputation in this patch or did one of my mods gently caress this up? I started a new save but ended up killing enough Scale Plate ships to drop my rep to -11, which is just enough to softlock the Hatikvah mission where I have to meet Dal on that Scale Plate station which I can no longer dock at.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I started doing the Pirate plot for ToA and the Empyrean Curs just blew up looting the station after a job well done (turns out their lovely ship loses to, uh, two Argon turrets), so I have no one to talk to. Hopefully they respawn or something :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I can't decide whether to keep building down in Second Contact Flashpoint or build up in Heretic End instead so I can work with the Boron when I trigger/open up their space. Which I should probably do sooner rather than later, huh?

I'm so inexperienced with actual business empire building in X4 lol. Any good tutorials/videos on getting started with business stations? Also how viable is building multiple smaller stations distributed across a few sectors instead of massive megaplexes? My computer is getting pretty old and I suspect megaplexes would strain it pretty badly.

Also, damnit I appear to be crashing the price of Silicon in the sectors my station can reach, lol. Well, maybe not crashing but the Teladi are no longer paying the higher amounts they were compared to the nearby ARG/ANT sectors.

[edit] I guess one thing Heretics End has is that it doesn't have a Xenon K running around being swarmed ineffectually by hordes of ARG/ANT fighters..

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 17, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m stuck in a tutorial because I’d already hired a guy before doing the crew-management tutorial and it wants me to hire someone again and I can’t find anyone else (or likely afford them). Luckily, I’m only like 15 mins into the game so I’ll just restart. I couldn’t figure out how to tell my Captain to drive me somewhere anyway.

What are my mouse look options? Pretend I don’t have a numpad because I sort of don’t until I hook my new one up.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
the main thing is population and build time. so with a megaplex you are rate limited by the single builder assembling one module at a time, whereas with lots of small stations you can parallelize. then with population you gain bonuses to efficiency at every stage of production, so if you can go all the way from ores to launching ships you will see the most benefits. with lots of small stations i don't think it's even worth the hassle so i just leave them automated to not have to bother with meatbags and their food and medical and housing needs

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Does anyone know of a mod that rebalances missiles ?
They really don't seem to do anything.
I tried heavy swarms, heavy dumbfires, clusters , and heavy torpedoes.

The torpedoes are the only one that even leave a dent in capitals and stations, but they're crazy expensive to stock on a supply ship.

Any mod out there that significantly buffs their damage / speed, lowers their cost , or makes them free?

If not, is there some tutorial out there on how to make your own mod? Basic stat changes.
I'd like to do things like make sniper guns actually good, make missiles good, make medium ships actually worth a drat.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah single stations is what i was doing building a complex in neps fortune, with some mining stations in paranid and teladi space and stuff, importing it all back there. Since its central and right off the highway you get a ton of traffic. plus you can park a defense station right inbetween the 2 gates to cover both. i found terran space easier for megaplexes since there were way fewer materials

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's really funny that the piracy plot is a tutorial and:

1. A hidden plot in
2. The third dlc in the game and
3. On board a frigate that
4. Goes ramming speed into a station that they tell you
5. NOT to disable the turrets on

It's like all the steps to take on how NOT to pirate in X4 lmao, they were trained wrong on purpose as a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Well it seems like updating mods that add ships is a giant PITA and it'll probably be a while before VRO is updated, so I've decided to jump into a sort of vanilla+ game with QOL mods (all of kuertee's stuff, deadair things, mules, etc.). Anyone else moved back from VRO and how are they finding it?

Now to finish the first Boron start so I can unlock the second and actually start my game as a Boron.