Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

he has this game now. its a very straightforward win for white on the board. match on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nepo looking real sad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jesus WEP posted:

nepo looking real sad

its just gonna be 2-2 after this, he can still win it

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I really hate those kind of position in my games. where I have clearly won, but converting take forever of precise manoeuvring.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Super glad for Ding.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

VictualSquid posted:

I really hate those kind of position in my games. where I have clearly won, but converting take forever of precise manoeuvring.

im pretty sure both of these guys are up to the task

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
We have a match

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Nepo going too fast struck back?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Meadowhill posted:

Nepo going too fast struck back?

The opening Ding played is surprisingly tough to play against as Black. I'd looked at it a bit when I wanted to pick up 4.e3 against the four knights and decided not to play it because I'm not confident with the pawn structure, but it seems to promise white a small but steady advantage. The ideal way it plays out is sort of like in the game, where white gets a good centre that forces black to play pretty precisely. Eventually Nepomniachtchi got somewhere where (1) there was only one move to keep the balance and (2) it was too unintuitive to actually play. So he plays Nd4 instead of g5, Ding sacrifices the exchange, and Ding kills him on light squares.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

dings mom in the background looking happy

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wow. The challenge for Nepo now is not to tilt or see ghosts after quick moving into that sac. I hope he recovers and we get a great match but I could easily see it leading it to a collapse like after he lost that one game in the title match against Magnus.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
That's a very wholesome photo and it confirms that Ding Must Win. Outta the way nerds!

I'm optimistic that Nepo won't tilt too badly, this being his second WC match I'm sure he's worked on that aspect of his game, and crucially there's no Magnus Effect.

It's been fun so far.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

Hand Knit posted:

The opening Ding played is surprisingly tough to play against as Black. I'd looked at it a bit when I wanted to pick up 4.e3 against the four knights and decided not to play it because I'm not confident with the pawn structure, but it seems to promise white a small but steady advantage. The ideal way it plays out is sort of like in the game, where white gets a good centre that forces black to play pretty precisely. Eventually Nepomniachtchi got somewhere where (1) there was only one move to keep the balance and (2) it was too unintuitive to actually play. So he plays Nd4 instead of g5, Ding sacrifices the exchange, and Ding kills him on light squares.

I'll take your word for it. I'd be out of book by move 3 and I'd have no idea what to do as black.

I'm starting to feel like it's not only Magnus Carlsen not playing that's making this WCC so exciting. It's that they're not playing the Ruy or Catalan every game. It feels fun when they're trying out different things.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Another Carlsen Nepo match would not have been as good as this.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Well, yeah, we saw how that plays out. Either Magnus gets in Nepo's head and he blunders, or he doesn't and they just grind it out with a slight edge for Carlsen.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Ian is somewhat inconsistent but when he's on, he's really on

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I feel like Ding's positional defensive instincts often err towards "gently caress it, let him have that square, what's the worst that could happen?" and then he gets killed. And I gotta say: I relate.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Remember when we had like 2 decisive games in 24 World Championship classical games? Seems forever ago.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Richard Rapport must be involved at all future World Championships

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

algebra testes posted:

Remember when we had like 2 decisive games in 24 World Championship classical games? Seems forever ago.

The Carlsen-Caruana match was probably the highest standard of chess ever played by humans, but as a normal non-gm spectator this is certainly more interesting to watch.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Anish already thinks Ding's going to win this one, 80% chance in his opinion. I'd love to believe that but it's still so early in the game! Would be wild to get three decisive games in a row.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I do miss Jan and Svidler and also Simon Williams because he's a goof.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

algebra testes posted:

I do miss Jan and Svidler and also Simon Williams because he's a goof.

Jan does the German language commenting, right now.

Also funny that Danya is taking a break from commenting, presumably to finish up shilling his new london book, on the day that they play the london.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tanglewood1420 posted:

The Carlsen-Caruana match was probably the highest standard of chess ever played by humans, but as a normal non-gm spectator this is certainly more interesting to watch.

this match is cool imho

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love that Anish can't work out why it's good only that it is.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus christ.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Jesus christ.

Seriously.

Loving this match so far.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

algebra testes posted:

yeah that was incredible

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the press conference questions are always so bad lol. "question to ding liren: anish giri said you're a genius. do you agree?"

"question to ian: why did you play so bad?"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

He played the loving London?

fart simpson posted:

the press conference questions are always so bad lol. "question to ding liren: anish giri said you're a genius. do you agree?"

"question to ian: why did you play so bad?"

In retrospect maybe Andrea Botez asking "how does the horsey move?" wasn't so out of place.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
The london is an affront to humanity but I adore this WCC where they play almost whatever they want instead of testing each other in a single theoretical line that deviates at the 15. move. The double R is a good second.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Meadowhill posted:

The london is an affront to humanity but I adore this WCC where they play almost whatever they want instead of testing each other in a single theoretical line that deviates at the 15. move. The double R is a good second.

Nah, everyone loved the WCC in 2018 when Carlsen and Caruana just grinded out draws for 12 games in a row

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
love to see these decisive games in the world championship match!

meanwhile, somebody played 1. g5 (the grob) against me in 5m blitz and i lost somehow :negative:

the reason for my loss? "a bad plan is better than no plan" is not actually true! i should have just moved my king back and forth 😂

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Helianthus Annuus posted:

love to see these decisive games in the world championship match!

meanwhile, somebody played 1. g5 (the grob) against me in 5m blitz and i lost somehow :negative:

the reason for my loss? "a bad plan is better than no plan" is not actually true! i should have just moved my king back and forth 😂

i recently won by playing the macho grob (1. e4 g5 2. d4 g4) against a very reasonable club level guy who is probably 100-200 points better than me, over the board, in a clockless game that took nearly an hour so the guy had time to think about :grin:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol at ding looking all pleased at his joke about magnus while there were zero laughs. as someone who has made many many bad posts on this forum i empathise and want ding to win now

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

jesus WEP posted:

lol at ding looking all pleased at his joke about magnus while there were zero laughs. as someone who has made many many bad posts on this forum i empathise and want ding to win now

Ding is the SA spirit animal

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

algebra testes posted:

Anish's frustration and excitement trying to figure out what Ding was cooking was great. He was all "DON'T TALK TO ME I'M THINKING" to David Howell lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jesus WEP posted:

nepo looked like he wanted to kill someone at that point lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm proud of a minor milestone: I broke into a 4-digit rating on chessdotcom. Granted, it's in Daily, but I figure if I can play at 80%-85% accuracy when I spend 5-6 minutes per critical move, I can eventually do it faster in a Rapid game.