Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

She and Jo Brand were/are standups of a very similar ilk back in the 80s and 90s. Hardcore feminist comediennes who will tell you about their period. Jo still seems to be inhabiting that role, while Jenny has definitely softened and is just having a ball.

Almost got snogged by Jenny back then during one of her gigs.
Part of the skit was stepping down and full on french kissing some bloke in the front row.
And she selected the bloke just beside me.
She went full grinding into him as well.
I still wish it was me lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
cool

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's never too late, you know.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think of the five contestants this series Frankie has left the least impression on me, although that's as much to do with the strength of this series' cast as a whole than him specifically. He seems quite out of his element here compared to his usual career, where he's got to be actually competitive with a bunch of people that he's got nothing against. Not a lot of room for his mean snark stuff.

Which is not to say he hasn't still got it. His prize task entry was great, didn't even have to see the actual picture.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Frankie seems to me like he's having an immensely good time but is just not that vocal or exuberant about it and I keep checking if I'm maybe watching like different cuts from y'all or something :v:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

"Dirty little ferret"

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Frankie seems to me like he's having an immensely good time but is just not that vocal or exuberant about it and I keep checking if I'm maybe watching like different cuts from y'all or something :v:

Agreed.
Just because he is not constantly being like he was on Mock the Week back in the day doesn't mean he isn't having a good time. Plus taskmaster isn't that kind of show, i would imagine that there is a certain amount of self constraint to not constantly muscle in on other contestants time due to the format.
Also we only see a fraction of what happens in the studio, as people who have been to recordings and the outtakes have shown.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
That's a good post, I personally thought he went a bit too far in interrupting in episode 1, but have noticed it's been better since. Of course, that could be the editors' work.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Frankie's pairing with Ivo for the team tasks is also great. They have wildly different energies that give them a fun "father and son" dynamic.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Yeah, apparently Lee Mack was unleashing puns and jokes throughout the record of S11, almost all of which were cut for time.

That said, Frankie got two moments in the studio that I liked this episode. "Today we'll be making things with duct tape" was the type of joke you associate with him, but still staying on the right side of the line for TM. And venturing that his pre-existing knowledge might be grounds for recusal from the sausage exam was delightful stuff.

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 15, 2023

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

My Lovely Horse posted:

I agree. The way his eyes lit up when Greg compared him and Ivo to a horrible children's show - he's just so happy for any chance to be a misanthrope.

E: I also want to say I'm really enjoying Mae's energy in the studio. They've got a sort of amiable zenned-out attitude that's somehow still competitive.

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 15, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i've got no experience with frankie and he was a little quiet for the first studio ep, but seems like he's embracing the curmudgeon-but-not-really role nicely

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I enjoy Frankie's studio banter, although his jokes tend to be on the more elaborate side and his cadence can mess with the natural flow of the show. Dara had the same issue from time to time, actually.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 16, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wait until they eventually do get Richard Ayoade whose entire thing is "I'm not enjoying what I'm doing"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wait until they eventually do get Richard Ayoade whose entire thing is "I'm not enjoying what I'm doing"

Unlike VIctoria who obviously loved every minute of Taskmaster.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I don’t want to say they’ll never get Ayoade, but he seems like a tough ask.

Roll on season 16 filming spoilers!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Richard Ayoade strikes me as someone who would rather be the Taskmaster than a contestant, much like David Mitchell.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The_Doctor posted:

I don’t want to say they’ll never get Ayoade, but he seems like a tough ask.

Roll on season 16 filming spoilers!

Considering how many people attend the filmings I'm always amazed the cast never seems to become common public knowledge.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

stev posted:

Considering how many people attend the filmings I'm always amazed the cast never seems to become common public knowledge.

IMHO there is a very high correlation between "was in Taskmaster UK few series back" and "has a new Netflix 1-hour special".

At least from my point of view, from someone who is not being constantly exposed to the other British TV panel shows.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I believe the current series line-up was leaked on Wikipedia for a short period before someone reverted it.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Its a weird thing to keep secret really, it doesn't detract from the show. Knowing who is going to be on has no bearing on it as its all basically random anyway. I actually like knowing, finding out Mae Martin was on from a "leak" meant I could go and watch their show Feel Good, which was in fact very good. It made me want to watch Taskmaster more, not less.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
just hype and buildup i think as is the modern way. withhold details until an announced date or time and people hype themselves up

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

I believe the current series line-up was leaked on Wikipedia for a short period before someone reverted it.

Someone who lived in the flats overlooking the canal they did the barge task on cheerfully posted photos of them all crashing into things a good eight months ago, essentially captioned "Oooh, I wonder what these very different comedians doing silly pointless tasks in an unusual location can possibly be up to..."

I think something like that's fair game really, if I was eating my cornflakes one morning and Bill Bailey passed by my house riding a unicycle and playing a Bach sonata on an accordion, chased by a camera crew, I'd probably get a few photos too.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Honest, if I lived/worked in London, I'd find a way to make regular trips to have a nosy at the going ons in the TM house.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I lived in London for years and everyone is far too busy to traipse to SW London on random days on the off chance they're filming ;)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Honest, if I lived/worked in London, I'd find a way to make regular trips to have a nosy at the going ons in the TM house.

Huh, I just checked and I could drive there in about 40 minutes...

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Don't know if it's been mentioned since it's not very new but Fern Brady talks about Taskmaster in her book.
Since she's generally very honest I was afraid she said bad things but it sounds like she thinks it was the most fun thing she ever did, particularly because she didn't have to mask her autism (though I did not notice at the time).

Also just generally recommending the book/audiobook, whether you've got interest in Fern or autism or Scottish life. To quote another Scottish comedian, it's down to earth and VERY funny (also sad at times).

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 16, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Irisi posted:

I think something like that's fair game really, if I was eating my cornflakes one morning and Bill Bailey passed by my house riding a unicycle and playing a Bach sonata on an accordion, chased by a camera crew, I'd probably get a few photos too.
If I saw that my only hint he might be doing Taskmaster would be the camera crew

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

kiminewt posted:

Don't know if it's been mentioned since it's not very new but Fern Brady talks about Taskmaster in her book.
Since she's generally very honest I was afraid she said bad things but it sounds like she thinks it was the most fun thing she ever did, particularly because she didn't have to mask her autism (though I did not notice at the time).

Also just generally recommending the book/audiobook, whether you've got interest in Fern or autism or Scottish life. To quote another Scottish comedian, it's down to earth and VERY funny (also sad at times).

thanks for reminding me I wanted to grab a copy.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Leraika posted:

thanks for reminding me I wanted to grab a copy.

Another strong recommendation here. It can be heavy at times, but it's an excellent piece of work - she does a good job reading the audiobook too (though she complained at a gig she had a cold for most of the recording.) Some very interesting insights into the Scottish mental health system and in being autistic within the bizarre world of the entertainment industry e.g. Her autistic brain taking 'Fern's not right for this series, maybe next series...' at face value as a definite commitment. Some particularly interesting stuff about dealing with her autism on Taskmaster and the support of the team there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Looks like it’s not out in the US until early June.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

IMHO there is a very high correlation between "was in Taskmaster UK few series back" and "has a new Netflix 1-hour special".

At least from my point of view, from someone who is not being constantly exposed to the other British TV panel shows.

Honestly I think one of the really cool things TM has done as they've gotten big is putting emphasis on bringing in lesser known comedians to round out the cast. Like at this point the show is big enough that they could probably get whoever they wanted, and Alex has said in the past that they make it a point to have a mix of "a few people you have heard of and a few you haven't". It seems like a great way to launch a comedy career in the UK.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Absolutely screaming at the Greg/Alex fanfiction titles.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Dirty Little Ferret was amazing just because everyone who heard it instantly identified the ferret in their minds.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly I think one of the really cool things TM has done as they've gotten big is putting emphasis on bringing in lesser known comedians to round out the cast. Like at this point the show is big enough that they could probably get whoever they wanted, and Alex has said in the past that they make it a point to have a mix of "a few people you have heard of and a few you haven't". It seems like a great way to launch a comedy career in the UK.

As an American who doesn't pay too much attention to the entertainment landscape, I've legit found 3 or four different shows or comedy specials based on looking up TM contestants on IMDB. On that note:

Frayed (Sarah Kendall) is on HBO, and is at times hilarious and harrowing.

Man Like Mobeen (Guz Khan) is on Netflix. The first season is fun, but I think it dropped off quickly after that unfortunately.

Mae Martin is of course on Netflix now. I think they would have been better served by a half hour, but I enjoyed it and I''m glad it exists.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Frayed is fantastic and I hope we get another season.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just made it to the end of series two and this show is everything I could have hoped it would be.

After finally taking a look at the op I saw that there’s an official podcast! And not only one, but at least 11 of them! Are any of the others worth checking out while I’m at it?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

11 podcasts? I'm only aware of the official ones with Ed Gamble and the "people's podcast" or w/e with Lou Sanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I didn't know Ivo and was fully prepared to hate him given he went to Eton and sounds/looks like it, but he's been good so far. I like the juxtaposition with Frankie.