Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

From what I read, the european train systems are not merged. Going from country to country you have to hop into different trains.

not sure about that but the most convenient system ive ever been on was in germany. their high speed trains just pull into subway stations so you can switch from intercity to local just by walking over a couple platforms, and they don’t even have turnstiles. you basically just walk up onto any train on the honors system and nothing ever checks to see if you have a ticket, which even if you do have a ticket they usually include a local transfer on the subway system in your city of arrival as part of the high speed train ticket

ofc they don’t have anywhere near the number of people in the stations and on the trains as there is in china. it’s easily 10x less dense from what ive seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

300 hours in OpenTTD

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

300 hours in OpenTTD

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gradenko_2000 posted:

300 hours in OpenTTD

What we call a casual player

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

Beijing has also closed down all the street food carts.

this revelation has literally shaken my faith in the chinese government more than anything i've heard in years

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

gently caress it's true

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

China is gonna solve Israel Palestine

https://twitter.com/ilanzalayat/status/1647345837352054786?t=KneliYo05X0BvpOkR1InDw&s=19

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Chairman Xi my people hunger for peoples food

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/pstAsiatech/status/1646175488585375744?s=20

lol salt

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i heard the oceans need sanctioning

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

it also makes perfect sense a galactic power with planet killer building capability is gonna engage in WW1 trench warfare on salt

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

gently caress it's true

what the gently caress, I wish I'd known about this when they were open

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ikanreed posted:

that's gonna come as a shock to people on literally every other street corner here

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ikanreed posted:

dollars to donuts this was done because it pissed off landlords

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://english.news.cn/20230413/94...rces%20recycled

quote:

China's space station achieves 100 pct regeneration of oxygen resources
~3 minutes

BEIJING, April 13 (Xinhua) -- China's space station, with the Shenzhou-15 crew now in orbit, can produce 100 percent of its oxygen supply through its onboard regeneration system, according to a space technology conference in Harbin, capital of China's northernmost Heilongjiang Province.

The development reflects that fundamental transformation of the environmental control and life-support system for China's manned spacecraft from "replenishment" to "regeneration," said Bian Qiang, director of the environmental control and life-support engineering office under the Astronaut Center of China.

As a key technology for China's manned space missions, the environmental control and life-support system creates basic living conditions and builds a liveable working environment for the astronauts, thus ensuring their health and safety.

The system comprises six regeneration subsystems for the following processes: oxygen production by water electrolysis; carbon dioxide removal; harmful gas removal; urine treatment; water treatment; and water production with carbon dioxide and hydrogen.

"At present, the six systems are in stable operation, with 100 percent of the oxygen resources regenerated and 95 percent of the water resources recycled. This reduces the amount of supplies from the ground by six tonnes every year," said Bian, addressing the third national manned spaceflight environmental control and life-support technology conference on Thursday.

He noted that the technology applied in the environmental control and life-support system ranks among the best in the world.

Over the past 55 years, experts have successfully developed three generations of environmental control and life-support system for China's manned spacecraft, as well as relevant products for Shenzhou spacecraft, extra-vehicular spacesuits and the three-module space station complex, according to Bian.

He added that, since the launch of China's space station mission, experts have successively tackled many technical difficulties faced by the world, and have realized the fundamental transformation of the system from "replenishment" to "regeneration," making outstanding contributions to the construction of China's space station.

The Shenzhou 15 crew sent a video specially for the conference. Commander Fei Junlong said that he felt honored to witness the transformation of the environmental control and life-support technology on the space station, compared with the Shenzhou-6 mission 17 years ago. He felt good about working and living in space for more than 100 days. ■

The ISS is apparently 40% efficient at recycling oxygen. I would've thought it was higher than that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

https://english.news.cn/20230413/94...rces%20recycled

The ISS is apparently 40% efficient at recycling oxygen. I would've thought it was higher than that.

Just another way the dragon has overtaken The West (tm).

If only we did things like value competency over other box checking exercises. Oh well.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RealCarlZha/status/1647401421049061376

oh yeah carl zha's back

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Me a literal nobody: Why am I not in the VIP queue for this nightclub?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DancingShade posted:

Just another way the dragon has overtaken The West (tm).

If only we did things like value competency over other box checking exercises. Oh well.

ccp-hating japanophiles in 2016: china can never develop the precision technology to produce a domestic ballpoint pen

japan in 2023: now who the gently caress said china can't innovate; they are causing an existential crisis on my entire manufacturing base

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

ccp-hating japanophiles in 2016: china can never develop the precision technology to produce a domestic ballpoint pen

japan in 2023: now who the gently caress said china can't innovate; they are causing an existential crisis on my entire manufacturing base

Don't worry I think Nippon still dominates in the overdesigned gyroscope controlled ball point pen markets as well as the slub raw denim fashion industry.

You can run a nation off that right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*glances at US* you can run a nation off a lot of things

For a while anyway

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DancingShade posted:

Don't worry I think Nippon still dominates in the overdesigned gyroscope controlled ball point pen markets as well as the slub raw denim fashion industry.

You can run a nation off that right?

i seldom handwrite these days but i have chinese 0.38mm gel-ink pens that still flow smoothly on paper after years of storage

...and a 10-pack of them costs the same as a single Pilot G-2

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Getting really into pens is cool and good, actually.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Palladium posted:

dollars to donuts this was done because it pissed off landlords

Nah weird strict rules happen in Beijing, either before the important meetings or randomly, which prompts coup rumor. Ask the Beijing cabbies.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 13:05 on Apr 16, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This pen discussion reminds me, did China industry end up making their own competitive ball point pen tips? Talk about a rapidly evaporating market.

I was at an rusty tourist seaside broadwalk last week, I still see "cash only" signs on some shops; but I can't remember the last time I used a ball pen.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
really? I use my ball point pen all the time to sign my cheques when I'm buying new cassettes

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

:hmmyes:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

stephenthinkpad posted:

This pen discussion reminds me, did China industry end up making their own competitive ball point pen tips? Talk about a rapidly evaporating market.

I was at an rusty tourist seaside broadwalk last week, I still see "cash only" signs on some shops; but I can't remember the last time I used a ball pen.

people use them for writing on pieces of paper around here

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

crepeface posted:

really? I use my ball point pen all the time to sign my cheques when I'm buying new cassettes

:dadjoke:

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

stephenthinkpad posted:

i use them when solving crosswords

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I was wondering what was up, i saw his hijacked account, replied and wasn't seeing much traction, so i asked here to see if someone could poke him about it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I really like 0.9/1.1mm mechanical pencils. I bet China makes great ones of those

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I remember reading about that so I looked it up.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

gradenko_2000 posted:

Q’s SA account spotted

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

China leads the world in cool fountain pen technology

the west looks down their nose and says china will never master precision manufacturing, but my penBBS great dragon skull ornament cobra piston filler says otherwise

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
the wta tour is back in china this autumn lol.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Does this mean they finally found Peng Shuai?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Orange Devil posted:

Does this mean they finally found Peng Shuai?

they desperately need chinese money to keep afloat, they would have never done all the #whereispengshuai poo poo if the tournaments weren't already cancelled because of covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/DesmondShum/status/1647663494781624323