Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Something that bugged me in Ace Combat 7 considering the Ukraine invasion by Russia. At one point in a cutscene, a scientist working for the nation that declared war asks "When did the trouble start? Was it when one nation deployed UAVs, or when the other nation used long-range strikes to counter the drones?"

No, buddy, the trouble started when your country declared war, took the entire contient and held a former president hostage. All that poo poo with the drones came after.

At the time, it was probably a deep and profound thought, but considering Russia's "Hey, we're just trying to defend ourselves from the mean old Ukraine/NATO", it just sounds so hollow and like he's trying to "both sides" the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Randalor posted:

Something that bugged me in Ace Combat 7 considering the Ukraine invasion by Russia. At one point in a cutscene, a scientist working for the nation that declared war asks "When did the trouble start? Was it when one nation deployed UAVs, or when the other nation used long-range strikes to counter the drones?"

No, buddy, the trouble started when your country declared war, took the entire contient and held a former president hostage. All that poo poo with the drones came after.

At the time, it was probably a deep and profound thought, but considering Russia's "Hey, we're just trying to defend ourselves from the mean old Ukraine/NATO", it just sounds so hollow and like he's trying to "both sides" the situation.

I respect that there's a desire to depict war as complicated and evil as subjective, but yeah, the world just makes it clear sometimes that it's not that complicated and sometimes there is a very clear Wrong Side Of Things.

The director (I think) of the Xenoblade Chronicles games talked about this in relation to XC3, which I found really good to hear. That yeah, sometimes there isn't validity to both sides, sometimes one side is just lovely and bad.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I really want to like Crystal Project, but for a game that seems to emphasize it's FFV-inspired combat, it's really goddamn stingy with enemy encounters so far. Does that get better?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Agents are GO! posted:

I really want to like Crystal Project, but for a game that seems to emphasize it's FFV-inspired combat, it's really goddamn stingy with enemy encounters so far. Does that get better?

I have no idea what you mean by stingy, so I assume it worked itself out for me. You'll spend a lot of time exploring old areas with new movement options, so there's no rush to master everything.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On a whim, I started up a new game of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Completed the newbie area, had sudden memories of Act 4, and quit the game. -_-

I mean, I get the intent of Act 4. It's supposed to feel like a hostile, alien world with little chance of escape, none of your normal allies except those you specifically brought with you, and the place works on alien rules of morality and direction. You're supposed to feel trapped in hell.

Well, it loving works.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd forgotten how annoying route 666 is in the original Bayonetta. Some of my least favourite fights in the game are the ones that take away witch time because you are already in it for the duration of the fight, and not only does the level rely heavily on motion controls which you can thankfully turn off, it also ends with a perma-witch time fight so I have a lot of trouble dodging the enemies. Also some of the later Alfheims take forever due to how many hard enemies it throws at you that you can only afford to take about 3 hits from before you fail.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Cythereal posted:

On a whim, I started up a new game of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Completed the newbie area, had sudden memories of Act 4, and quit the game. -_-

I mean, I get the intent of Act 4. It's supposed to feel like a hostile, alien world with little chance of escape, none of your normal allies except those you specifically brought with you, and the place works on alien rules of morality and direction. You're supposed to feel trapped in hell.

Well, it loving works.

Same, really. I actually managed to play a second character all the way until Act 4, and just seeing Alushynirra again was enough to declare that run finished. It's such a pain in the rear end to navigate and deal with that it ruins the rest of the game.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Come Fly With Me quest in Fallout: New Vegas is a fun idea that is completely destroyed by consisting of various tedious fetch quests.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’ve been playing WoW for like three and a half weeks and Dragonflight and dragonriding are super neat - but by god I just miss my normal flying mount sometimes. Pretty much anywhere else in the game when you’re not doing grouped content it’s possible to just hop on your flying mount and pop a hundred meters in the air to afk for a second and let out the dog or make some tea or whatever. Dragonriding is all gliding and physics though so you can’t even do that!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

I’ve been playing WoW for like three and a half weeks and Dragonflight and dragonriding are super neat - but by god I just miss my normal flying mount sometimes. Pretty much anywhere else in the game when you’re not doing grouped content it’s possible to just hop on your flying mount and pop a hundred meters in the air to afk for a second and let out the dog or make some tea or whatever. Dragonriding is all gliding and physics though so you can’t even do that!

I haven’t played WoW in years but adding something entirely different called Dragonriding when I have about a dozen dragons in my mount library I can already ride and have since Wrath sounds incredibly dumb.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DoubleNegative posted:

Same, really. I actually managed to play a second character all the way until Act 4, and just seeing Alushynirra again was enough to declare that run finished. It's such a pain in the rear end to navigate and deal with that it ruins the rest of the game.

That part of the game also runs particularly bad on my computer, so I find it almost nauseating to fiddle with. The terrain moving based on the camera is a cool visual gimmick that should have just stayed a visual gimmick instead of acting being required for navigation, because I was tired of that before I finished the first map with it.

I have the toybox mod and I think the next time I give that game a try (because I was really enjoying myself) I'll just look up where to go and just use the teleport feature.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They just added a whole new class and companion with the newest wave of DLC starting, so now is actually a good time to try another run.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Starting out in ghostwrite Tokyo and while it’s been good so far I can’t help but feel that, like all things, it would be better if it was in America

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

oldpainless posted:

Starting out in ghostwrite Tokyo and while it’s been good so far I can’t help but feel that, like all things, it would be better if it was in America

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bussamove posted:

I haven’t played WoW in years but adding something entirely different called Dragonriding when I have about a dozen dragons in my mount library I can already ride and have since Wrath sounds incredibly dumb.

it actually feels really good. hope this helps.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bussamove posted:

An Actual Princess posted:

yeah - I don't have any real history with the game (okay i got a character to like level 25 over a couple weeks in 2008) so i'm not speaking from a place of MMO stockholm syndrome here but dragonriding is neat, and the zone design is honestly really loving clever about making it a fun place to zoom around the skies on. Tons of verticality, not really any 'dead' areas with nothing to do or see (so far at least), lots of 'race' courses where you fly through rings at speed, and I'm all about the dragon customization options. I would absolutely rather whip out my dragonriding mount than one of my regular flying mounts, if flying mounts were even allowed in DF.

It just sucks that you don't actually get your dragon until a couple hours into the zone and until then you're running around the (again, intensely enemy-populated and very vertical) zone on foot - and like you said, there are tons of dragon mounts that seemingly inexplicably don't allow dragonriding (including the mount that comes with the fancy editions of DragonFlight!!! :wtc:). Plus like I mentioned earlier, I didn't realize how much I was relying on popping into the air for a second to step away from the computer relatively safely until I suddenly couldn't.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

An Actual Princess posted:

I do like gliding mechanics! I just think it's silly that apparently all these dragons I have in my pocket can't do it. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bussamove posted:

I do like gliding mechanics! I just think it's silly that apparently all these dragons I have in my pocket can't do it. :v:

Well of course a dragon can't ride a dragon. They're too heavy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they absolutely can. that's how you get more dragons

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

I felt the same way about Persona 5.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

they absolutely can. that's how you get more dragons

Warcraft has a bad history with this concept.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I bounced off the original Assassin's Creed almost 20 years ago because it was annoying to be swarmed by guards whenever they thought I ran through town slightly suspiciously. Now I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and can't talk to this quest giver in Athens because I spent three seconds running through a restricted area with nothing to designate it as off limits if you're not looking at the map. And now four guards, six civilians. two bounty hunters, and an ocelot won't stop hitting me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Professor Wayne posted:

I bounced off the original Assassin's Creed almost 20 years ago because it was annoying to be swarmed by guards whenever they thought I ran through town slightly suspiciously. Now I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and can't talk to this quest giver in Athens because I spent three seconds running through a restricted area with nothing to designate it as off limits if you're not looking at the map. And now four guards, six civilians. two bounty hunters, and an ocelot won't stop hitting me.

is the ocelot paid?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Professor Wayne posted:

Have you tried setting them all on fire? That fixes a large chunk of ACO problems.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Honestly I haven’t tried fire attacks yet. But if that’s the solution to this problem, I will respec right now

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Professor Wayne posted:

Honestly I haven’t tried fire attacks yet. But if that’s the solution to this problem, I will respec right now

I don't know about that problem, if you are getting mobbed just running for a bit will get them to leave. But the damage overtime attacks are really powerful.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Ugh, Dredge has a swamp biome.

I hate swamps in video games. Terrible color palette, terrible enemy designs, and I hope you like poison!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its not a true swamp if it doesn't also have terrain that arbitrarily slows you down!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Swamps are just the sewers of nature.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SiKboy posted:

I think over hundreds of hours a lot of videogame locations will lose their appeal regardless. Like the first time you discover an new settlement in an open world game you're like "Oh, wow, is that building perched on top of a thing? Wow, its all connected with rope bridges, thats cool, theres some nice environmental storytelling there." The fifteenth time you return there you are just thinking "gently caress, I just want to turn in these resistance bounties and refill my consumables. Why is the vendor so loving far from the fast travel point?".

Hello, hangar in Destiny 2. Now only one vendor is there, maybe two if Xûr is there on a certain weekend. Just either (1) put a fast travel point there or (2) move the two vendors into the regular area already.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

moosecow333 posted:

Ugh, Dredge has a swamp biome.

I hate swamps in video games. Terrible color palette, terrible enemy designs, and I hope you like poison!

Isn't Dredge a fishing game? I feel like fishing games are the place where I'll most readily accept 'swamp level' and 'water level', because gently caress, where else are they gonna go?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

Have you tried setting them all on fire? That fixes a large chunk of ACO problems.

And also causes a large chunk of ACO problems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can also just pay off all your bounties from the map screen if you're about to do a difficult quest and don't wanna be bothered. I prefer to embrace the chaos though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While I'm enjoying the game's atmosphere and exploring is fun and rewarding, Turok Evolution's somewhat wonky controls combined with the lack of checkpoints are causing issues. I died because I didn't know how to use the monkeybars correctly and fell off at the end of the first chapter.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Cleretic posted:

Isn't Dredge a fishing game? I feel like fishing games are the place where I'll most readily accept 'swamp level' and 'water level', because gently caress, where else are they gonna go?

Yes, and also the swamp biome has a fairly trivial-to-deal-with threat compared to the volcano biome.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

if it has a swamp level, it's technically a souls-like

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Waste of Breath posted:

Yes, and also the swamp biome has a fairly trivial-to-deal-with threat compared to the volcano biome.

Yeah honestly the volcano biome can just gently caress off. The environmental hazard isn't even just so much difficult as it is just fiddly and annoying. You're either just running back and forth trying to get the little fishes off you, or sit around waiting for the big one to move past. It doesn't help that it comes at a time when the game is already starting to run kinda thin anyway.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
100% agree. Explosives help open that area a bit but it's a lovely gimmick!

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Yeah honestly the volcano biome can just gently caress off. The environmental hazard isn't even just so much difficult as it is just fiddly and annoying. You're either just running back and forth trying to get the little fishes off you, or sit around waiting for the big one to move past. It doesn't help that it comes at a time when the game is already starting to run kinda thin anyway.

Protip: Move fast, use Banish, use explosives. I decided to just kind of go fast in that area, and between speed and following the volcanic fractures, it was pretty easy and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Finally finished up my slow playthrough of the old Donkey Kong Countrys, and boy does DKC3 have the most disappointing reward for finishing all the levels and collecting all the DK coins - a new vehicle that gets you access to a few more of the game's hidden Simon puzzles and a 20-second cutscene if you finish that quest off. Somehow it feels more disappointing than just the ranking screen you got in the last game, giving you a whole new vehicle with no real gameplay left seems dumb. Should've shifted things around so your getting it unlocks the final set of levels or something.