Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Shadow of War's story has powerful "multi-million dollar adaption of a 13 year old's fanfic" vibes and it's great.
That part of the games was great, especially when you got to read the hardcore Tolkien fans online meltdown on various forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FutureCop posted:

Ah yeah, I haven't gotten repeated dialog yet, but I was already getting slightly annoyed at how indulgent the orc intro dialog can be: you'd think they would just be rather snappy quips but some of 'em really gab on and on, and I'm not just talking about the bards where it might make sense, but even just the regular orcs. Like say there's an orc called the Crusher or some-such, I would want their intro to be like "Is that a ranger I see? It's crushing time!" but instead it's stuff like "Your pathetic frail sword will do no good here, human! You don't appreciate the beauty that a stout blunt instrument can provide, like my sledgehammer right here! Her name's Daisy: she's one of a kind, absolutely top-heavy, and me an Daisy will crush you into such a fine bloody paste that not even your fellow Gondorians will recognize you! Rarrrgh!" Such long-winded speeches can really kill the pace and make me absolutely regret triggering them by accident when I'm just trying to run through an area. I wish that for the long speeches, maybe they just have the speech continue but over gameplay, keeping the intro pause/freeze to a consistent 2-3 seconds where you have time to hit the identify button instead of dragging the pause over the whole speech.

Plus the game's already got a reputation for spawning like six captains on top of you any time you deign to stay in one spot for too long, so the problem compounds.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

That part of the games was great, especially when you got to read the hardcore Tolkien fans online meltdown on various forums.
The best response was from the Tolkien fans who understood the deliberate ambiguity in the writing who went "yeah I get why Shelob is hot now"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loved to go into a fort and try to stealth kill my way through, and how - 3 minutes after going in with that intention - I'd end up racing around inside a fired up fort full of insane orcs all trying to kill me, seeing how long I could stay alive and how many I could kill before one of them got me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Warhammer: Boltgun releases May 23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJzGLICnZrg

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I cherish orc intros so much. Love the voice acting. The Moaner is my favorite, makes me laugh everytime.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Totally agree on the fanfic vibes, I love it. I had a notion once to write a story where Galadriel takes the Ring when offered to her and what happens then. If nothing else she's Elrond's mother-in-law and there's got to be some good drama there.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

DarkDobe posted:

I ended up picking up Meet your Maker and it's very much what you would expect:
Build killmazes, raid killmazes.

I played a bunch during Next Fest, liked it enough to buy it but then I haven't touched it a whole ton since; 14 hours according to Steam. I feel like I've kinda seen all the major base concepts that the community has come up with? It's still fun to just get a few runs in every other day or so, and I love logging in and seeing Replays and watching people get murderized by my favorite base. But it feels like it's definitely missing just a little something, not sure what.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Game developers always seem to be specifically into sexy spider ladies.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Because of this thread I've also spun up Shadows of War and I've been having fun with it. My favorite orc so far is one who has a lute and sings songs as he is chasing me around. Last night I finally got him as my bodyguard. The game is so large I always end up kind of petering out without actually completing it.

After watching a little bit of Diablo 4 footage I was also in an ARPG mood and loaded up Warhammer Inquisitor: Martyr because I wasn't sure about buying Last Epoch and.... it's kind of a lot of fun? I even bought the expansion on sale for like $5. The first time I played it I played the assassin class and had an 'ok' time. This time I chose the Psycher and I'm having a lot more fun. I thought for sure I would end up playing Diablo 2: Resurrected again to scratch that itch but I think I'll stick with playing this for a while. I will say it's strange that you have to basically go through like 4-6 tutorial missions before it allows you to customize your psychic powers, but once you do it's a pretty fun system of choosing your abilities and unlocking combinations of runes for them to modify them (maybe add an armor penetration rune and a lifesteal rune or something). I'm even finding the story (so far) mildy interesting which is more than I can say for most ARPGS.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

They should keep doing that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

They should keep doing that.

Only if they also do some sexy spider dudes. Else it's unfair.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Only if they also do some sexy spider dudes. Else it's unfair.

In two flavors even

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1817070/Marvels_SpiderMan_Remastered/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1817190/Marvels_SpiderMan_Miles_Morales/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Eh Spider-Man always reads as a kid.

Semi-seriously I do think horniness in games is fine if it's even-handed. No reason everybody can't have some sexy things to look at while gaming.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ghostlight posted:

I always beheaded orcs that talked too much.

:chloe:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why can't they have the spider part on top and the lady part on the bottom

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hwurmp posted:

Not exactly a spider but reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-lRdR0AlSw

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
loving hell. Could you please put something like that in spoiler tags?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I know that cops can be upsetting, but there's no need to put them in spoiler tags.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I think they mean the abdomen and cephalothorax of a spider, but the legs are human.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spiders: NSFW to most goons, but for different reasons.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Just giving me what I want

rox
Sep 7, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

loving hell. Could you please put something like that in spoiler tags?

i think he should put all his posts in spoiler tags

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
My great great uncle served in the trenches with Tolkien and he said Tolkien always intended shelob to be sexy

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

FastestGunAlive posted:

My great great uncle served in the trenches with Tolkien and he said Tolkien always intended shelob to be sexy

Is she not???

:wink:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I love big mandibulae!!!!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

exquisite tea posted:

fear and excitement are one and the same

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ZearothK posted:

fear and excitement are one and the same

If you're not scaroused, are you even living?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jack Trades posted:

Oh, I didn't think of actually reading the contents of the "Your purchase has been refunded" emails. :downs:
I have 30 of those warnings. Clearly they don't amount to anything.
It's honestly kind of annoying that using the refund system to check out a bunch of games and refund the ones you don't like is apparently fine, but refunding a game you never launched and got for free on another platform a few years later is an issue.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I love big mandibulae!!!!

Shake those fat mandibussae for me

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It was a cold and snowy day, so I cozied up and finished Hi-Fi Rush. The entire game felt like a Saturday morning cartoon. Fun dialog and antics, solid rhythm gameplay, and the soundtrack was great. I constantly dashed around because the dash sound effect throws percussion into the level's music. Just a treat all around. Don't sleep on this one!

Now to play through again to unlock all of these doors I can finally open.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
going through my backlog and trying to finish eiyuden chronicles

the gameplay's nothing to write home about but the dialogue has a lot of heart. hopefully it carries over to hundred heroes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

trying out a couple of towny games. starting with the bad one

Townopolis is by the dev of Hero of the Kingdom and it seems like they wanted to make something kind of managey in a similar way, but it doesn't really work super great with city planning because it basically boils down to only one or two specific solutions for each level. This is on top of the dev's already laughably amateur presentation quality, which holds a tiny bit of charm with HOTK, but feels like it fell out of the back of Artifex Mundi's truck on the way to delivering their undesirable hidden object games directly to the dollar store.

Concrete Jungle is one I had in my wishlist for a long time before getting it in the Jingle Jam bundle back in December. to be honest, the city planning/building stuff is really just aesthetic trapping for what is instead a pretty ruthless deckbuilding puzzle game. you place down buildings which affect neighboring tiles with positive or negative point values, then place houses on those point tiles to capture the points, in order to build up a required point total for each column. if the front-most column reaches the point total, it clears and the map moves forward a column (so you can get up chain combos). But man is it tough. Granted, I am mostly working with the starter cards, but it is really easy to get a string of bad luck draws that leave you with a lot of buildings that don't gather points, or even worse, buildings that generate negative point values, and not a lot of buildings that DO gather points. You can edit your deck between levels but I just haven't yet gotten a deck that I'm happy with. I will keep playing this though. Versus mode against AI, I'm not a fan of. Solo mode levels, I'm fine with though. Campaign being a mix of both? Ehh...

Tinytopia is the most conventional city builder of the ones I tried and it's cute and simple (maybe too simple). It's not for major sim nerds for sure. Buildings are basically boardgame-like pieces that you place on a physical city board, and then to upgrade buildings you stack them together/on top of each other. If you place them incorrectly they can fall over or topple the whole structure and start a fire you'll have to put out. The game has all the typical simcity disasters at your beck and call, and each new level is either based on a real world location or is very silly (one level involves just stacking buildings as tall as you can without it falling over). Very chill and fun.

e: just an addendum on tinytopia, the goals in the campaign levels are typically to build a signature building on the map, which is broken up into several pieces that unlock as you hit population milestones. you can't just litter the map with housing without going broke from maintenance costs, so it's not completely braindead gaming, you do have to be a tiny bit smart, it's not just a complex systems-driven city simulator like the big boys. making more money generally means upgrading job buildings and placing decorations to increase happiness which increases the taxes people pay, and upgrading the housing buildings allows for more occupancy and big increases in taxation. i've completed 5 of the first 22 levels and i haven't really been challenged much, so like i said, it's more a lo-fi city builder to relax and survey to

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 17, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Oxxidation posted:

going through my backlog and trying to finish eiyuden chronicles

the gameplay's nothing to write home about but the dialogue has a lot of heart. hopefully it carries over to hundred heroes

They really need to bring something new for Hundred Heroes. The same game but twice as long just isn't going to work at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

They really need to bring something new for Hundred Heroes. The same game but twice as long just isn't going to work at all.

it's going to be a completely different game. chronicles is a side-scrolling action game that's really more of a primer for the world, consisting of a single outpost and a very small handful of characters. hundred heroes switches genres to suikoden and expands its setting to the entire country

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
This is a rather generic question but what is up with games in Unity making my cpu/gpu sweat regardless on how graphically complex they are? For example Warhammer 40k Mechanicus, Against the Storm or even a super simple game like Planet Crafter. Or really any Unity game really. My PC can easily take it (3080 TI, i7 9700K, 32gb ram) but these games all make my gpu/cpu fans go apeshit and produce intense heat even if their graphical quality isn't that great. Meanwhile games like RE4 Remake (RE Engine) or even Unreal Engine games only go this hard if they actually display the kind of graphics that demand my PC going all out.

So what's up with Unity just going apeshit regardless of whats required? And yes, FPS limits / vsync don't help with this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

This is a rather generic question but what is up with games in Unity making my cpu/gpu sweat regardless on how graphically complex they are? For example Warhammer 40k Mechanicus, Against the Storm or even a super simple game like Planet Crafter. Or really any Unity game really. My PC can easily take it (3080 TI, i7 9700K, 32gb ram) but these games all make my gpu/cpu fans go apeshit and produce intense heat even if their graphical quality isn't that great. Meanwhile games like RE4 Remake (RE Engine) or even Unreal Engine games only go this hard if they actually display the kind of graphics that demand my PC going all out.

So what's up with Unity just going apeshit regardless of whats required? And yes, FPS limits / vsync don't help with this.

Have you checked that your framerate is actually limited?

Unity's problem is that it's a generic engine build for convenience of development and being able to fit any project and not performance, and it requires a great deal of effort from the developer to actually optimize Unity games.
Meanwhile RE Engine is made from scratch by the same developers that are making games with with to be optimized to their specific needs from the start.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

It's not strictly true that all Unity games run badly, and dev experience/resources is a factor, but there is no better predictor that your computer is about to fight for its life. There's nothing you can do and the problem isn't on your end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It just annoys me a bit that my computer doesn't have to put up that much effort actually to play the graphically impressive games but causes my entire room to heat up when I play some little game in Unity engine. And I tried framerate limiting the games ingame, via Nvidia control panel etc. Nothing solves the problem really.