Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Is there anything I've not thought of? Anyone care to share any more opinions?

Is the ECM Mechanika Slim available? I ended up getting that over the Profitec 400. They seemed pretty similar (and I'm pretty sure they're nearly identical internally?) but I liked the drip tray design and the aesthetics slightly better with the Mechanika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

bergeoisie posted:

Is the ECM Mechanika Slim available?

They seem to go for about £300-500 more than the Profitec/Lelit.

Bandire posted:

I haven't seen anyone directly compare them.

I had googled this but had not seen any proper comparisons. Those I found all read like they were written by someone who had chosen one and was justifying it, having not actually had proper experience with the other.

Separate question - when timing shots, am I meant to begin once it starts coming out, or once I hear the pump start running? My current Bambino Plus does a pre-infusion and I'm running it manually - by holding down the button for pre-infusion until I see the coffee start to come out, then releasing it for full pressure.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Separate question - when timing shots, am I meant to begin once it starts coming out, or once I hear the pump start running? My current Bambino Plus does a pre-infusion and I'm running it manually - by holding down the button for pre-infusion until I see the coffee start to come out, then releasing it for full pressure.

It doesn't really matter, as long as you're being consistent and adjusting by taste. Having said that, most people will start the timer as soon as you start the pump. You're trying to measure the contact time between coffee grounds and water, and that starts happening right after engaging the pump.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

They seem to go for about £300-500 more than the Profitec/Lelit.

Absolutely not worth it at that price. Mine was only $50 more than the Profitec.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I drink only pour over coffee each morning but am getting tired of how fussy it can be after years of doing this. I'm happy with the method and the coffee it produces, but sometimes I just want to mindlessly grind coffee or flip a button and be done with it. I think I want to add a french press back in, as it was a relatively mindless and simple brew method compared to the pour over. I am curious if there are any issues with this french press:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9W1FQC/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I had a cheapo glass one back in 2014ish that I liked but the glass broke and I stopped french pressing and went with an aeropress instead. Anyways, I want a stainless steel french press with no plastic parts. Is the secura fine or do I need to spring for some high dollar model?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

biceps crimes posted:

I drink only pour over coffee each morning but am getting tired of how fussy it can be after years of doing this. I'm happy with the method and the coffee it produces, but sometimes I just want to mindlessly grind coffee or flip a button and be done with it. I think I want to add a french press back in, as it was a relatively mindless and simple brew method compared to the pour over. I am curious if there are any issues with this french press:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9W1FQC/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I had a cheapo glass one back in 2014ish that I liked but the glass broke and I stopped french pressing and went with an aeropress instead. Anyways, I want a stainless steel french press with no plastic parts. Is the secura fine or do I need to spring for some high dollar model?

I have that exact one and it works great. The extra screens were a nice discovery. You'll want to preheat the thing, but I've had it for apparently 5 years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

biceps crimes posted:

If you wanna invest in such as a Technivorm or Breville Brewer then you can have your fiddly coffee at the push of a button/setting of a timer and have the best of all possible worlds

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Something like the Clever might be up your alley too if you're looking for something simpler. Just immersion brew then sit it on a cup.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Postman posted:

Something like the Clever might be up your alley too if you're looking for something simpler. Just immersion brew then sit it on a cup.

Seconding. We’re 2 months into newborn sleep deprivation and the clever hasn’t failed us.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Oo, thanks for the recommendations. For the fancy moccamaster, it looks like I’d want the one cup, since I’m the only coffee drinker in the house and I usually only drink one 8-10oz cup. Maaaybe two if I’m feeling frisky. Does that change anything? I used to have a bonavita model but the minimum brew amount was still too much for me.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I have a 1.25l moccamaster and brewing half a basket works perfectly fine

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Flair came out with 3 new products:

Neo Flex: way more bang for your buck than prior Neo, but not compatible with pressure gauge. $99

58+: almost entirely cosmetic upgrades. $640 ($65 more than base 58 $575)

Scale: $50, auto timer, auto reset between shots. About the same price point as similar scales, but probably mainly to answer the most frequently asked "what scales fit below the flair??"

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Think of me not as the guy who came into the thread asking for advice then ignored it, rather than the guy who came into the thread with an idea of what he wanted, heard and appreciated opinions, but they didn't convince him to change his mind.

I do love it, though it feels like I'm back to square one with achieving decent results - it's so, so different to what I was using before. I look forward to the process.

The most useful thing so far? The cup warmer. The Bambino purports to have one, but since it doesn't have a constantly-hot boiler it does gently caress all. It's really nice to not have to pre-warm my cups with hot water.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited

BrianBoitano posted:

Flair came out with 3 new products:

Looking at their website, they seem to be discontinuing the signature, too. I can only really find info on it in the scratch and dent section. Can't really blame them since I haven't been able to find a lot of info on the difference between classic + pressure gauge and the signature.

Trying not to be tempted by the neo flex when I know I will be much happier by buying the signature (before they sell out) or the pro 2 for not that much more (in espresso dollars)

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Congrats. Its a good machine. It will take a bit to get used to the flow, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Keep us posted. You're making my upgrade-itis worse.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Got my Felicita Arc. Build quality is nice, fits perfectly on my bambino drip tray, and works flawlessly with the Felicita app, Filtru, and BeanCompanion on iOS.

The only app I can't get working is SE Profiler - I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Arc, but the app isn't finding the scale. I've tried unsintalling the app, toggling bluetooth access on/off, turning the scale on with the SE Profile app open first, or after the Felicita arc finds it, but it still can't find it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lance did a review of the Bambino Plus that covers the machine's temperature quirks - apparently a room temperature porta filter is ideal for longer shots since the water leaving the thermal block will get up to 97 degrees after 25 seconds or so. He just recommends do a 2-3 second purge of any leftover steam before pulling every shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2TNEhrBU5Q

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

So much for the amazing Profitec build quality, because one of the fittings on the boiler is leaking, tightening it didn't fix it, and it's now going back to the vendor for repair.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The internet convinced me to upgrade from the basket that came with my Silvia, so I bought a VST basket. I noticed that water was suddenly leaking around the edge of the basket, but not when I went back to the basket that came with the machine. What baskets do people recommend these days?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

The internet convinced me to upgrade from the basket that came with my Silvia, so I bought a VST basket. I noticed that water was suddenly leaking around the edge of the basket, but not when I went back to the basket that came with the machine. What baskets do people recommend these days?

VST should be completely fine. It's clearly that the edge on the basket isn't proud enough of the surface of the portafilter to be applying the right pressure against the gasket above it. I would reach out to VST, you might have a faulty basket. Are you using the portafilter that came with the machine (not that it should matter)?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

theHUNGERian posted:

How big is the basket and how much coffee are you putting in? My 18g VST basket can really only take 16g in my Gaggia without causing similar problems.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

Did you buy the right basket? There’s hundreds of VST baskets with different sizes and lips.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I bought a VST Precision Portafilter Insert Basket (20g), ridged, 58 mm, and I add ~20 g (sometimes a bit more than 20 g, but always <21 g) of grounds. The machine did not come with a bottomless portafilter, so I bought a Rancilio Bottomless Portafilter. The original basket works fine with it, so I am assuming the portafilter is not at fault.

Edit: Holding the offending basket lip-to-lip against all other baskets, I cannot see anything wrong with it.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 21, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

I bought a VST Precision Portafilter Insert Basket (20g), ridged, 58 mm, and I add ~20 g (sometimes a bit more than 20 g, but always <21 g) of grounds. The machine did not come with a bottomless portafilter, so I bought a Rancilio Bottomless Portafilter. The original basket works fine with it, so I am assuming the portafilter is not at fault.

Edit: Holding the offending basket lip-to-lip against all other baskets, I cannot see anything wrong with it.

Sorry if this is already what you mean but are you looking at the height from the flat on the bottom where it rests on the portafilter to the top of the curved part? Like this:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

It’s fairly typical (especially if you’re not rocking light roasts) that 20g baskets only actually support 16-18g of coffee.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry if this is already what you mean but are you looking at the height from the flat on the bottom where it rests on the portafilter to the top of the curved part? Like this:

No, I was (poorly) saying that I see no obvious air gaps between two baskets if I bring the top of one basket into contact with the top of another.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s fairly typical (especially if you’re not rocking light roasts) that 20g baskets only actually support 16-18g of coffee.

I'll reduce the dose and see what I get.

Edit: Still leaks when using 15 g. Guess I'm going back to the Rancilio basket for now.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 22, 2023

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I waited 6 months for the Fellow Monty milk cups, spent $40 for two, really liked them

2 weeks later, fall in love with free glass cups you get from buying tiramisu from Costco, never touch Montys again :v:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BrianBoitano posted:

fall in love with free glass cups you get from buying tiramisu from Costco

I thought I was the only one!

Also used to drink sherry from them. In the bath, of course.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

...free glass cups you get from buying tiramisu from Costco...

How much do those hold? They look like they'd make nice stemless Nick & Nora style glasses for cocktails if they're the right size.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BrianBoitano posted:

I waited 6 months for the Fellow Monty milk cups, spent $40 for two, really liked them

2 weeks later, fall in love with free glass cups you get from buying tiramisu from Costco, never touch Montys again :v:

Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your pies
Bought a cake for this cup, it’s the best in my life
Offer me those deathless deals
Good God, let me give you my dimes

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

E: ^^^ :hai:

5.75 oz, so I steam 4 oz milk. Ends up right between cortado and macchiato range, which I prefer to latte :)

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
The Fellow Atmos is a great vacuum container if anyone's in the market for one. Looks sharp, the vacuum mechanism is pretty nifty and not awful to use, coffee stayed really fresh while I worked through my other bag.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What’s everyone use for cold brew? I don’t drink it but my wife does, and we’ve used this style for years, but want to change direction to something a bit easier.

KitchenAid KCM4212SX Cold Brew Coffee Maker-Brushed Stainless Steel, 28 ounce https://a.co/d/doVScQi

The problem with the above is it can be a pain to clean and you get nothing out of the last few ounces of coffee because of all the sediment at the bottom. Part of that could be my grinder (virtuoso) allowing for fines, but it’s straight up sludge you can’t drink.

She normally just relies on Starbucks cold brew with a splash of milk, so nothing fancy.

I’m half debating getting a keurig iced coffee machine for her. That or just buying some pouches/concentrate. The problem with what the grocery store offers (premade cold brew) is she’ll go through it pretty quickly and it takes up a bunch of space.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have one of these Hario things.

It's not that good because it has to pretty much be overfilled with water to get the coffee submerged.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Cold-Coffee-Maker-11237500/dp/B07HB3GH6W/

i like it because it’s not as big as something like a toddy, so it’s easier to store, and the little potion bottle is cute. But also every time I make a bottle I finish it in two or three days, which is way more than I drink of espresso or pourover, so you might just want to get a toddy if you’re both drinking it

e: i’ve also straight up mixed grounds and water in a mason jar, and decanted it through a paper filter into another mason jar, which is definitely the lowest-effort way to do cold brew, and gets the cleanest results. I don’t remember why i got the gadget now

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 27, 2023

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I have the bigger Oxo cold brew and like it well enough. Stupid easy to setup and produces good coffee.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I have an older Brewista Pro 4, which makes about 3.5 gallons of concentrate at once. It’s half-caff and lasts us weeks, which gets me to the optimal “spend less time cleaning than enjoying” part of life than other methods. They discontinued their pro line but there’s plenty of copies of that style out there, and they use massive coffee filters for easier cleanup.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

3.5 gallons?!? How much coffee is that using per batch

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I have one of these Hario things.

It's not that good because it has to pretty much be overfilled with water to get the coffee submerged.

I have one of these too and it rocks. If I don't plan ahead I make some Japanese style iced coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
I do Japanese style iced coffee from my normal Bonavita drip machine. Fill the carafe with ice, 6 cups of water in the hopper, 60g coffee in the filter. You maybe should use more grounds but I prefer my iced coffee weaker since I'm a sip all day person.