Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

I would also like to thank everyone else for sharing their experiences and thoughts in this thread, the best thread. Much love for all of you.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

American mainstream society has almost no spirituality in it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

then what is Beyoncé

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

euphronius posted:

American mainstream society has almost no spirituality in it.

Are you sure about that? I mean... *Gestures wildly in horror at the emerging dominance of Christian fundamentalism/Christian nationalism in public and private spheres*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

would not call that very spiritual

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

also pro sports

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I'll give you that it's more of a cultural hegemony thing but there's definitely a spiritual element to it, at least for the nutjobs pushing for it the loudest.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the way the working class in america believes capitalism will help them no longer be temporarily embarrassed millionaires despite the lived experience of being hosed by it day in and day out for their entire lives and all historical evidence stating that they will be exploited by it until they day they die can only be adequately explained by a faith equal to that of any religion, just with the supreme being replaced with the invisible hand of the market

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

as mentioned American society generally ignores and fears death. that is not the basis for any kind of spirituality imho

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Azathoth posted:

the way the working class in america believes capitalism will help them no longer be temporarily embarrassed millionaires despite the lived experience of being hosed by it day in and day out for their entire lives and all historical evidence stating that they will be exploited by it until they day they die can only be adequately explained by a faith equal to that of any religion, just with the supreme being replaced with the invisible hand of the market

I don't think anyone believes anymore that they'll become millionaires. I think it's just resigned fatalism.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

D-Pad posted:

In the spirit of just post...

So my wife decided to get one of those in home IVs this morning. She's been having headaches and other issues and was going to be drinking last night and wanted to try it so whatever. Anyways my daughter is 3 and I know for a fact she has never seen an IV in any context and has absolutely no clue what it is but as soon as the pole came out and the bag got hung and my wife sat down she absolutely lost her poo poo. She has a speech delay that gets worse when she was upset, but I've gotten very good at reading her because of it. The only thing she was saying is "mommy" over and over but it was very obvious she was just incredibly concerned and scared for my wife. I've never seen her so concerned about anything and I got the incredibly strong impression she knew what an IV was and that it meant her mommy was very very sick. It started before the needle even came out so it wasn't that.

I know this is a big leap of logic but I just got such a strong impression that there was a young child has past life memories connection between seeing an IV and it being for her mom and what that could mean. I've never seen her freak out with such concern ever. I'm 100% positive she could not have any prior experience with an IV, she isn't in a daycare or preschool and her screen time is very limited and monitored etc. It was just the depth of her freakout and concern that really drove it home for me.

Anyway I know how strange that sounds and maybe she was just concerned by the unfamiliar circumstance of what was happening but it was so out of bounds for her it really freaked me out. She's making really good progress on her speech delay but she's probably going to age out before she has the speech skills to give a good answer to the "what do you remember before you were born" question that so often generates interesting responses from very young children.

Rescuing a cool post from the bottom of the page.

Reincarnation is one of the few "unprovables" that I believe with complete conviction. I have more conviction in reincarnation than even the survival of consciousness after death (in that case, imagine that you continue to Observe but with no memory of the previous life and with no in-between period of conscious, observing being).

I experienced noesis about it, besides the heaps of evidence in support of reincarnation. Unshakeable on reincarnation - everything else is a strong probably at best.

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Rescuing a cool post from the bottom of the page.

Reincarnation is one of the few "unprovables" that I believe with complete conviction. I have more conviction in reincarnation than even the survival of consciousness after death (in that case, imagine that you continue to Observe but with no memory of the previous life and with no in-between period of conscious, observing being).

I experienced noesis about it, besides the heaps of evidence in support of reincarnation. Unshakeable on reincarnation - everything else is a strong probably at best.

If one has no memory of the past life what is to distinguish the reincarnated life from the newly carnated life?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

blatman posted:

3 hours of slide after slide of big tiddy bigfoot

👿 if only... 👺👺👺👺👺👺

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Rudeboy Detective posted:

👿 if only... 👺👺👺👺👺👺

i got u covered, this just leaked:

:nws::nws:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Pennant posted:

If one has no memory of the past life what is to distinguish the reincarnated life from the newly carnated life?

Nothing. It's not a particularly comforting belief. You would die, forget everything, but your soul (the observer) is reborn into a new body and goes on experiencing. If everything else I've read and/or believe in is false, this is the only way it could function.

It's not much better than regular old Annihilation but it's not the same either. On the other hand it would leave open the possibility for the newly incarnated soul, even with past-life amnesia, to seek out and recall those past lives if something of the sort is possible within this paradigm.

Note that even if both reincarnation and between-life experience are real that only gives you a conscious experience of non-incarnated beinghood for a period before, nonetheless, wiping any memory of previous lives in the next incarnation (however, you would be able to recall them in your in-between life so it is slightly better).

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Apr 16, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

coconono posted:

then what is Beyoncé

émpty and vapid

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

::Staring into my orb, witnessing hundreds of my past lives::

Wait... it all sucked?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Lol, yeah, most incarnations (going here from NDE and between-life accounts) aren't fun. Incarnation is like going to work or deciding to hike up a mountain or something.

The Woo of this stripe sometimes talk about "resting lives" where people incarnate into breezy, fun lives without struggle. Those people who live til 95 smoking and drinking the whole while and never come up against any real strife. But that's not common. And they wouldn't post on internet forums.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Gonna start loving around and finding out things with magick to hack this reincarnation cycle into something better

please direct positive vibes and good feelings towards this sigil, if you have them to spare

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Gonna start loving around and finding out things with magick to hack this reincarnation cycle into something better

You seem sure that yourself and your spirit self are in agreement about what lives are worth living.

You probably won't choose "something better," on purpose, for much the same reason you didn't incarnate into a "better" life than your current one in the first place.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
Hello everyone! I am guessing this is the thread for all things woowoo?? Didn't seem like it from the thread title

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The magic thread stopped getting posts a while ago so I guess yeah

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i play a lotta dark souls so i have to assume my spirit self is also a loving idiot who likes suffering

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

gonna incarnate into the 69th awful life in a row because maybe this time i'll time that dodge roll properly

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

that sigil is UFO adjacent because the original phrase was "radar hit me up please"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I sent bemusement, guess we'll see if it helps

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

Hello everyone! I am guessing this is the thread for all things woowoo?? Didn't seem like it from the thread title

If the phrase High Strangeness means anything to you, this is definitely the High Strangeness thread.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/12n5rk4/us_space_force_major_general_john_olson_confirms/

about 0:35 i start laughing madly and don't stop, of course they are all seeing stuff all the time all of a sudden. sky trash is the future!

Azathoth posted:

If the phrase High Strangeness means anything to you, this is definitely the High Strangeness thread.

yes, i come here high to read and post about strange things and it is good

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

blatman posted:

i play a lotta dark souls so i have to assume my spirit self is also a loving idiot who likes suffering

A recent account I listened to, they said a lot of souls, when incarnating for Work, will just load that life up with all types of lovely experiences to maximize the productivity of the incarnation.

Given all the hosed up stupid poo poo that's happened in my life - yeah, probably.

For me, though, I do explicitly like challenges in my day-to-day life so it's unsurprising. I like to challenge myself. It all adds up.

Used to bother me a whole lot more but I'm not depressed or anxious anymore, and its all okay. It's fine. Last panic attack was in January (a record!).Thank G for meditation

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Hell Gem

Azathoth posted:

It sounds like paranormal phenomena. Cool. I had a lot of weird experiences as a kid and sometimes still as an adult. I'll lurk for a bit before I post anything

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You got a particular area of Woo you prefer?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Welcome, Antifa Supersoldier. The High Council can now begin,

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

It sounds like paranormal phenomena. Cool. I had a lot of weird experiences as a kid and sometimes still as an adult. I'll lurk for a bit before I post anything

:justpost:

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Hell Gem

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You got a particular area of Woo you prefer?
Not sure I prefer anything to be honest I just want to make sense of the stuff i experienced. I try to avoid the ufo stuff for example because from what I've seen when you look at this kind of stuff you invite it into your life and my brother's went through an abduction experience. Not sure if any of that makes any sense

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Sure, we've got thread regular with Experiences only consequent to interest/research into Woo. I don't think that's very off base.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I hope you feel comfortable soon :) this is honestly the coolest, chillest place I've ever come across on the entire internet when it comes to this stuff, you're good

Now, can I offer you a nice bowl of salt?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I try to avoid the ufo stuff for example because from what I've seen when you look at this kind of stuff you invite it into your life and my brother's went through an abduction experience.

You know, your sentence in this post reminded me of something that happened to me last summer that I wrote off as "just a dream". I started getting interested in the UFO stuff because of all the government "disclosure" and hearings last year and began reading more into it. Some of these stories (Ariel School, etc) can give you the heebies jeebies and I certainly wasn't an exception.

One night in the middle of the summer, I had a dream that it was the middle of the night, I was inside my apartment in my kitchen, and I was watching the door to my apartment's balcony. I was very sure that there was something behind that door. The door opened, I caught a glimpse of what was behind it, and recognized that it wasn't mundane in origin. I felt a massive jolt of fear and the dream abruptly ended. I woke up in my bedroom staring directly at that same door (which was firmly shut and locked).

After that dream I never got the heebies again whenever reading about this subject, nor did I dream about aliens or UFOs again or anything like that (that I can remember, at least).

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Hell Gem
So I have two brothers that are older than me. When I was a kid all three of us stayed in a room with two bunk beds. They were in high school and I was in elementary school. My middle brother fancied himself as a skeptic and would buy all sorts of books about magic and ufos. My father is an engineer and my mother stayed at home and is a religious woman. My two brothers and my sister went to catholic school but my dad wanted me to go to a secular private school. I had gone one time to sunday school and the next week my dad said "Hey do you want to go to sunday school or do you want to stay with me and watch ducktales?" and I never went to sunday school again.

So my parents go out for date night and we are alone and my spooky brother decides its a good time to do a summoning ritual. My oldest brother and me are just watching, we don't know what the gently caress he is doing. He has a ouija board on the floor and candles lit up and starts using the board to communicate with something. He ends up screaming for a demonstration of power. The adjacent room full of closets all started opening and closing making a lot of noise and poo poo was falling everywhere. We all ran out and stayed outside and didn't say anything to each other. Our parents came home and my dad said "What the hell are you guys doing out here? Go inside now" and we all looked at each other, didn't say anything and just tried to go to sleep. From that day on the entire house went to poo poo.

I talked to my dad about what happened and he said it was all in my head. I idolized my father. Still kind of do but at that moment I realized the limits of his understanding and I couldn't file away what happened as just some weird dream

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

So I have two brothers that are older than me. When I was a kid all three of us stayed in a room with two bunk beds. They were in high school and I was in elementary school. My middle brother fancied himself as a skeptic and would buy all sorts of books about magic and ufos. My father is an engineer and my mother stayed at home and is a religious woman. My two brothers and my sister went to catholic school but my dad wanted me to go to a secular private school. I had gone one time to sunday school and the next week my dad said "Hey do you want to go to sunday school or do you want to stay with me and watch ducktales?" and I never went to sunday school again.

So my parents go out for date night and we are alone and my spooky brother decides its a good time to do a summoning ritual. My oldest brother and me are just watching, we don't know what the gently caress he is doing. He has a ouija board on the floor and candles lit up and starts using the board to communicate with something. He ends up screaming for a demonstration of power. The adjacent room full of closets all started opening and closing making a lot of noise and poo poo was falling everywhere. We all ran out and stayed outside and didn't say anything to each other. Our parents came home and my dad said "What the hell are you guys doing out here? Go inside now" and we all looked at each other, didn't say anything and just tried to go to sleep. From that day on the entire house went to poo poo.

I talked to my dad about what happened and he said it was all in my head. I idolized my father. Still kind of do but at that moment I realized the limits of his understanding and I couldn't file away what happened as just some weird dream

That's not terrifying at all.... just gonna forget I read that.

Well welcome to the the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

granted if you were non-corporeal and could only slam windows and doors to gently caress with kids, what else would you be doing with your time