Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I always thought the best response to homeopathy is that if it's real then every drink of water is a mouthful of piss, but really, it's better to say that every drink of water is a mouthful of hitler's piss which is even worse

edit: well that's a fine start to a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
What a combination of words

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if every mouthful of water is hitler's piss then no mouthful of water is hitler's piss, because the more you have of something the less there is of it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

"Ah see there's yer problem, whole planet's gotta be written off, ain't no savin' it""

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
Rimworld: Homeopathic Hitler

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I always thought the best response to homeopathy is that if it's real then every drink of water is a mouthful of piss, but really, it's better to say that every drink of water is a mouthful of hitler's piss which is even worse

edit: well that's a fine start to a new page

that's not how homeopathy works, every drink of water is the antidote to piss

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Agnostalgia posted:

that's not how homeopathy works, every drink of water is the antidote to piss

A few hours later

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
this is known as a closed system, and is perfect in its efficiency

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

tiny little polar colony just barely starting to not suck

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Danaru posted:

A few hours later

lmfao holy poo poo this thread is great

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

*slaps Bones' back* You can get so much blood out of one of these

atenthirtyone
Aug 11, 2011
Am I a coward for building a mountain base while disabling infestations? I just wanna play Rim World: Dwarf Fortress and not have to worry about nasty little bugs destroying my stockpiles every 30 minutes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's a single player game, who gives a poo poo, play it however it's fun for you :shrug:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

atenthirtyone posted:

Am I a coward for building a mountain base while disabling infestations? I just wanna play Rim World: Dwarf Fortress and not have to worry about nasty little bugs destroying my stockpiles every 30 minutes.

Honestly this is probably what my next run is gonna be. I’ve long ago given up on playing this game as it’s intended. All I do is make sand castles and expose them to increasing pressure once my defenses are up and then I reload if I overcorrect on the difficulty dial. There’s a few games I’m happy to go extremely try-hard on but this isn’t one of them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

atenthirtyone posted:

Nah play the game in whatever way gives you the most enjoyment. I am not going to caveat this, even that goon who uses the dick grafting mod is just living their best life

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

atenthirtyone posted:

Do it up. Infestations really suck if you just wanna build a base.

I usually use a mod that makes it so insects can't spawn if there's enough light. That way they can spawn if I'm careless, but I can make drat sure they won't spawn in my rec room or whatever I don't want to bother spending ages cleaning and repairing.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

atenthirtyone posted:

The only downside is you don't get to make a joke about casu marzu because the infestation spawned in your cheese cave.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I actually enjoy infestations because I like building a bunch of hardened melee colonists but on the other hand I am totally fine cheesing mechanoids so that's not any kind of value judgement

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

atenthirtyone posted:

In my opinion infestations are a lot scarier on paper than they are in practice, assuming you don't leave your combat force underdeveloped (which is an easy thing to do when you end up living in a mountain base, to be fair). Airlocks and a bait room means the infestation is pretty much always in a manageable spot, whether that's by melee blocking the choke point or cooking them. If you're clever about your bait room positioning you can even have the infestation help defend you against incoming raids.

I like to try playing around game mechanics before disabling them outright, because sometimes the tools are all there and I just haven't learned to use them yet, and once I learn how those work I'll end up using those lessons in other colonies down the line. End of the day you're playing the game to have fun though, so do what makes it fun for you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Apparently the way babies born to prisoners has changed, it used to be you'd get a dialog that would allow you to adopt the baby immediately but now ... the baby is hostile, not technically a prisoner, and though the baby is taken to a regular colonist crib, if they're sick (i.e. "newborn illness") you have to draft the doctor to force them to treat the baby :(:
e: oh there's a manual "adopt" button on the toolbar now, all right

it's a brisk -90C outside, good time for a bunch of babies

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 16, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

isndl posted:

In my opinion infestations are a lot scarier on paper than they are in practice, assuming you don't leave your combat force underdeveloped (which is an easy thing to do when you end up living in a mountain base, to be fair). Airlocks and a bait room means the infestation is pretty much always in a manageable spot, whether that's by melee blocking the choke point or cooking them. If you're clever about your bait room positioning you can even have the infestation help defend you against incoming raids.

I like to try playing around game mechanics before disabling them outright, because sometimes the tools are all there and I just haven't learned to use them yet, and once I learn how those work I'll end up using those lessons in other colonies down the line. End of the day you're playing the game to have fun though, so do what makes it fun for you.
Personally, I think infestations are easier to deal with in mountain bases for the reasons you say. What I really hate is when I make my freezer room in a mountain on an otherwise flat map and there are constantly bugs popping up in my freezer. Or you have a particular design in mind and one of your bedrooms ends up clipping three tiles of "mountain" and now you either gotta give up your symmetry or deal with the unavoidable threat of massive insect hives in your bedroom forever.

One or two tiles of overhead mountain are just the worst- you don't get any sort of benefit, like being immune to drop pods or mortars, but you still get slapped with all the annoyance of dealing with insects who can randomly pop up at any time and kill your pets or whatever if you don't super micromanage the moment you get the notification.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eiba posted:

Personally, I think infestations are easier to deal with in mountain bases for the reasons you say. What I really hate is when I make my freezer room in a mountain on an otherwise flat map and there are constantly bugs popping up in my freezer. Or you have a particular design in mind and one of your bedrooms ends up clipping three tiles of "mountain" and now you either gotta give up your symmetry or deal with the unavoidable threat of massive insect hives in your bedroom forever.

One or two tiles of overhead mountain are just the worst- you don't get any sort of benefit, like being immune to drop pods or mortars, but you still get slapped with all the annoyance of dealing with insects who can randomly pop up at any time and kill your pets or whatever if you don't super micromanage the moment you get the notification.

This freezer problem can be fixed! If the room is cooled to -17C it actually can't spawn infestations. I keep enough freezers to get to -20C so that I have a bit of wiggle room

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also I totally wouldn't feel bad about use dev mode to remove 1-3 tiles of overhead mountain that's in the middle of a bedroom, like in terms of the real world what would that even be, a big pillar of rock? This is something that even a tribal society should be able to demolish

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
on my last map I dealt with infestations in the nearby cave system by subdividing it with walls and laying down hay everywhere, so if one popped up I would get someone to chuck a molly in there and it would be gone by next day

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't know if getting the bugs to rave out is going to help very much

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it would certainly make them less aggressive

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
As much fun as the meals-on-wheels kibble delivery of infestations is, the last time I played without it disabled they popped up in my RimAtomics reactor room and trashed the Type X reactor before I could kill them all. That was a reload and me deciding it just wasn't fun to have something get randomly trashed with no ability to prevent it even if the entire crew of cybered up melee murderers is right on top of the rustling piles of spawning hives. Or they were, briefly, then everyone in the room got turned in to a shadow on the wall.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

As much fun as the meals-on-wheels kibble delivery of infestations is, the last time I played without it disabled they popped up in my RimAtomics reactor room and trashed the Type X reactor before I could kill them all. That was a reload and me deciding it just wasn't fun to have something get randomly trashed with no ability to prevent it even if the entire crew of cybered up melee murderers is right on top of the rustling piles of spawning hives. Or they were, briefly, then everyone in the room got turned in to a shadow on the wall.

You can prevent this! In my last base I lined the reactor chamber with depleted uranium walls, then had a depleted uranium hallway, then another depleted uranium lined room, and each of those rooms had a bunch of over-wall coolers keeping them at a nice chill <-20 C. Zero chance of infestation in the room itself, and since I had a reception chamber and an airlock there was very little chance that bugs could tunnel all the way to my reactors unless I was already truly hosed. This system of multiply-cooled rooms sucks virtually all of the heat out of these areas, so infestations can't occur at all in them

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 17, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Here's a post I made about infestation chance and some of the crazier things you can do to juice it, I had such an effective bait room that my base rarely ever had infestations. Turning on the Infestation Chance in dev mode, the bait room was basically bright blue at the deepest end and in my base proper the chance was basically 0 (but not precisely 0)

Here's the part where I made sure that the reactor room had 0 chance of experiencing an infestation:

QuarkJets posted:

I took extra precautions and super-cooled a few rooms to ensure that bugs cannot spawn there: my nuclear reactors, my nuclear waste storage, and my nuclear fuel storage. I use a bunch of coolers to super-cool each room to heat transfer hallway, and then that has vents transferring the heat out to the rest of my base. This rooms are all kept at -40 C

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

any meat is good meat when you can make lavish meals out of it, including the Other White Meat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

any meat is good meat when you can make lavish meals out of it, including the Other White Meat

You mean guinea pig?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

.... yes, that's guinea pig, isn't it delicious?

in other news I'm trying to be fairly legit with this full melee colony and I just utterly rolled a 6 vs 29 impid tribal raid in open combat (no walls, no killbox, just rush out and beat the poo poo out of them)
high quality plasteel breach axes are very good
e: so are smokepop packs

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 17, 2023

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I want to use that infestation repeller from Vanilla Expanded Insectoids (no more burrowing, walk-in only but raids arr stronger) but the graphic is annoying as hell.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: plasteel breach hammers, "on paper" they are just Pretty Good but in practice, they have a specific attack mode that is hilariously fast and just produces a very rapid series of bonks

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Is there a toxic-adapted hauling animal? is there a mod that has one? yes I could use hauler bots but I want to do something with animals, I rarely use them and polluted land makes that even less fun for me
e: I guess there's the Fetch For Me mod, just lets you train anything to haul, that's probably fine for what I want (hauling toxalopes or something)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=933324235

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Flesh Forge posted:

Is there a toxic-adapted hauling animal? is there a mod that has one? yes I could use hauler bots but I want to do something with animals, I rarely use them and polluted land makes that even less fun for me
e: I guess there's the Fetch For Me mod, just lets you train anything to haul, that's probably fine for what I want (hauling toxalopes or something)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=933324235

Theres a new vanilla expanded wasteland animal mod pack, that might have some haulers?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Flesh Forge posted:

Is there a toxic-adapted hauling animal?

Yeah, they're called wasters. :v:

Dryads are immune to pollution, but you can't plant their trees in polluted soil. Not sure if the trees survive if you plant them in clean soil and then let it become polluted afterwards. You could probably plant them around a Polux tree though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Flesh Forge posted:

re: plasteel breach hammers, "on paper" they are just Pretty Good but in practice, they have a specific attack mode that is hilariously fast and just produces a very rapid series of bonks

style: morbid

i feel like i missed the setup to a joke here

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

isndl posted:

Yeah, they're called wasters. :v:

Dryads are immune to pollution, but you can't plant their trees in polluted soil. Not sure if the trees survive if you plant them in clean soil and then let it become polluted afterwards. You could probably plant them around a Polux tree though.

yeah I don't think I want to do the tree thing, I just really want some weird gross fat little guys like toxalopes tbh I think that haul for me mod is fine.

Coolguye posted:

style: morbid

i feel like i missed the setup to a joke here

I don't think it does anything mechanically it just gives you a different set of floor tiles and slabs. I just took it for the vaguely evil/hell-like theme :shrug:
e: an added plus is toxalopes have no other purpose besides meat/leather since you can't use them for caravans and they can't be milked (would have liked to be able to milk them for toxic wastepacks or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
toxalopes seem like the kind of thing that should be able to carry unusually small amounts of caravan load + be worth eating, or something weird and not really covered by normal animal niches. Wasted opportunity to not have them be something no other animal can be even if it's not super incredibly amazing