Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Snazzy Frocks posted:

That's helpful to know. I'm debating between malikeths black blade which has holy damage baked in or great sword with heavy attribute for my strength build offhand. Malikeths is a bit bigger combined but it sounds like the split damage penalty negates that?

Do both and use whichever seems best for the situation. The Greatsword is a real swiss army knife because it takes different upgrade mats and can be given tons of different ashes and whatever element you need, and Maliketh's blade is easy to upgrade, hits hard, and has a dope weapon art with an AOE (good for colossals where groups and hard to hit things are such a pain) with the destined death effect which is fantastic for bosses.

I'd go with the Greatsword if you're not using the weapon art. It's probably a contender for best overall weapon in the game which would surprise most people since it's also a meme, but the Zweihander despite its meme status was also the best weapon by a country mile in DS1. Even if you don't want it for a weapon art you can always just put a buff on it that you can apply just by two-handing it, which is a lot easier than true buff routines.

In fairness though, when you're powerstancing two colossals damage output is never going to be a problem, but the Greatsword being super long makes learning to fight with a kit like that a lot easier. I usually end up two-handing one colossal because giving up the defense and guard counters from blocking is hard to do. The Starscourge Greatswords are my favorite weapon in the game because I get to keep that stuff while still powerstancing two fuckoff huge swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

also keep in mind that elemental damage buffs like physick tears can more than make up for what you lose to defenses from split damage

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Node posted:

What the gently caress is this loving nonsense? When did the Night's Cavalry duo become a thousand times harder than Malenia? I've been here for over an hour.

Fight them one at a time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I ran into two (2) Night's Cavalry during my entire 80+ hour first playthrough

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

According to the patch notes split damage scaling was just buffed so it might be OK now? I hope so, it's been an issue in all the DS games.

Related:

v1ld posted:

Going to carry a bunch of daggers with utility AoWs on them like in my first run which is the post below. This time I'm doing Str/Fai so the choices will be somewhat different.

A Holy or Flame Misericorde for crits for example - Golden Vow right now. Crits scale with total AR and don't care about split damage penalties, so scaling it with Holy will be perfect.

Hoarfrost Stomp is great even without an Int/Dex build as it scales mostly with weapon level. Getting Frostbite without a Cold weapon or build is super useful.

Plain old Dagger is such a useful AoW-stick to have on your build.

Flame of the Redmanes was nerfed and doesn't do ridiculous poise damage anymore :( My misericorde is still ok but not sure what other options are good for inflicting stagger with daggers.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
I have decided to incorporate a bit of Faith into my Str vagabond (level 55 at the moment), and it’s been really fun. I alternate between Brick hammer and Greatsword, and have the claw mark seal in offhand.
I just got to the point where I can use black flame, and it’s just a fantastic opener. Throw that a couple of times, then two hand the Greatsword with sacred blade. Since equipping Greatsword just automatically puts me into heavy load category, I started doing guard counters primarily and equipped the curved sword insignia. Everything just melts. I feel like the difficulty went down considerably after adopting this play style.
Next goal is to get my faith to 27 (I want to try using crucible horns) and free up one talisman slot for something else.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Flame of the Redmanes was nerfed and doesn't do ridiculous poise damage anymore :( My misericorde is still ok but not sure what other options are good for inflicting stagger with daggers.

That's sad to hear. According to the comments on the Glintblade Phalanx wiki page, it's still unnerfed for poise damage. One person calls it Flame of the Redmanes 2.0. Another says 3 casts to poise break Mogh.

I haven't tried it this run yet, but it was pretty great on the int/dex build around patch 1.6.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dr Cheesequake posted:

I have decided to incorporate a bit of Faith into my Str vagabond (level 55 at the moment), and it’s been really fun. I alternate between Brick hammer and Greatsword, and have the claw mark seal in offhand.
I just got to the point where I can use black flame, and it’s just a fantastic opener. Throw that a couple of times, then two hand the Greatsword with sacred blade. Since equipping Greatsword just automatically puts me into heavy load category, I started doing guard counters primarily and equipped the curved sword insignia. Everything just melts. I feel like the difficulty went down considerably after adopting this play style.
Next goal is to get my faith to 27 (I want to try using crucible horns) and free up one talisman slot for something else.

Crucible Horns RULES, the enemies you can flat out bully with it is astonishing. Always charge it is my advice. Most of the Crucible sets buff it a bit for each piece and they're generally really great armor too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Giant Crusher fun

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

According to the patch notes split damage scaling was just buffed so it might be OK now? I hope so, it's been an issue in all the DS games.

If I can be a Ye Olde Dark Souls nerd for a moment, split damage became a bad thing in a DS1 patch. There was a meta of elemental infused weapons doing high damage with minimal stat investment (the go-to was Lightning Zweihanders, iirc) so you could focus all your levelups into tanky attributes. How damage calculations worked was changed and then split damage sucked out loud for roughly three and a half games.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Grayshift posted:

(the go-to was Lightning Zweihanders, iirc)

Feeling called out right now

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Is there a Giant Dad equivalent in PVP?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Super heavy armor is a pretty big deal so just look up a fat armor build and then throw on Rivers of Blood or gold wave sword or some other scrub slapper.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Nearing the end of my first PS5 playthrough which would be my fourth(?) playthrough overall. The shine really hasn't come off this game for me - I'm doing a completionist run and everything is still fun and I'm confident enough to gently caress around with consumables and crafting and tears now. I'd say I actually enjoyed my first run the least, because I tried to brute-force caveman it.

strangely, this also feels like the first time I've done everything in the "intended" order, at least as far as materials and difficulty has scaled. Currently in the snowfield heading towards the Haligtree, which will be the first time I've gone there before Crumbling Faram Azula.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

So I'm aware that powerstanced status effects were nerfed some patches back and I was thinking of doing a pure arcane run. Is it still feasible to try to put multiple statuses on a weapon, or is it best to only focus on bleed? I'm thinking of running Mohg's Sacred Spear and a Great Lance.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Bluff Buster posted:

So I'm aware that powerstanced status effects were nerfed some patches back and I was thinking of doing a pure arcane run. Is it still feasible to try to put multiple statuses on a weapon, or is it best to only focus on bleed? I'm thinking of running Mohg's Sacred Spear and a Great Lance.

They didn't really nerf them, they made status effects semi reasonable.

Bleed is still king and kind of overshadows everything if you're only worried about killing fast. Faster is still better for status effects. Dualing spears types is more about the pvp reach (which was slightly nerfed this patch) than status buildup.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If you're powerstancing colossal swords cold is a good choice if you can. You don't lose too much attack rating and frostbite is great. Of course I changed mine to fire for the full grown fallen beast because it's immune to frost bite and got it first try after doing so since it's weak to fire

I've finally got the int needed to give starscourge swords a go and am going to get myself the rune Greatsword too as that seems a good choice to pair for the buff

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jose posted:

If you're powerstancing colossal swords cold is a good choice if you can. You don't lose too much attack rating and frostbite is great. Of course I changed mine to fire for the full grown fallen beast because it's immune to frost bite and got it first try after doing so since it's weak to fire

Blaidd's sword, which you can get after finishing Ranni's quest, is an excellent tool for this- it's a huge sword with good range and built-in frost buildup that also has a really great unique Ash that's basically Lion's Claw with a followup PBAOE explosion. Good stuff.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

something i missed on my first playthrough and it took an age to locate where the voice was coming from. best helm in the game for sure even if my weapon clips through it

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Jose posted:

best helm in the game for sure because my weapon clips through it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

How do I continue the sellen quest? I just reached Azur but he won't talk to me whichi the wiki says I need to do since i've beaten radahn. I have to do this apparently to get back the fight so I can get the ruins greatsword. She has no extra dialogue at waypoint ruins or witchbane ruins

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Jose posted:

lol

How do I continue the sellen quest? I just reached Azur but he won't talk to me whichi the wiki says I need to do since i've beaten radahn. I have to do this apparently to get back the fight so I can get the ruins greatsword. She has no extra dialogue at waypoint ruins or witchbane ruins

He's not really supposed to talk to you- him giving you the spell should be enough. Now that Radahn's down, have you talked to Jerren again?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I think I'm going to start a fresh playthrough as a dagger dork

Any tips?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sum Gai posted:

He's not really supposed to talk to you- him giving you the spell should be enough. Now that Radahn's down, have you talked to Jerren again?

he has moved from Redmane castle but isn't at witchbane ruins which if I understand what the wiki is saying only happens after progressing sellen's quest to the point she's no longer there

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

verbal enema posted:

I think I'm going to start a fresh playthrough as a dagger dork

Any tips?

if you want raw damage rather than bleed buildup dex build with misericorde + parrying dagger and keen or lightning infusion is really strong. misericorde has the best base damage of daggers and parrying dagger has the best dex scaling. you don't need to have parry on the parrying dagger even though it is recommended when fighting parryable enemies for style points

nopants
May 29, 2004
limgrave and weeping peninsula are so well designed. i just wanted to share this with everybody

nopants
May 29, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I want better axes.

ive been doing a new playthrough and have been trying to parry the crucible knights only. after getting frustrated with trying to parry my way through the crucible knight duo boss fight, i absolutely clowned them with the executioner's greataxe and warcry. they had no chance

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jose posted:

I've finally got the int needed to give starscourge swords a go and am going to get myself the rune Greatsword too as that seems a good choice to pair for the buff

Best weapon in the game, twinned colossal swords - two for the weight of one! And the ash scales entirely or mostly off weapon upgrade level so no need to worry about INT beyond the minimum. Ruins is fantastic to have around too but I never found much use for it since if I needed extra poise damage (which 1 weapon 2-handed offers over powerstancing) I'd just guard counter

Jose posted:

he has moved from Redmane castle but isn't at witchbane ruins which if I understand what the wiki is saying only happens after progressing sellen's quest to the point she's no longer there

You've found her at the Limgrave spot and haven't killed her at either right? You shouldn't have to go to Witchbane until she tells you you have to

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

nopants posted:

limgrave and weeping peninsula are so well designed. i just wanted to share this with everybody

hearing this big old bell ringing all over weeping peninsula and then seeing what was making it was a real "what!!" moment

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I gave those things such a wide berth for so long

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Took only 15 tries to farm the Mausoleum Knight chest piece! Unlike my first play through when it took forever.

The recent poise rework makes it much easier to get to 51 poise for PvE, which is nice. Wish I had a better 7 poise helmet, though Kaidan isn't bad at all.

E: Couple more points in Endurance lets me wear the Mausoleum Greaves which then lets me wear the Iron Helm, a much better fit in looks and still 51 poise. Fashion problem solved via stat investment!

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 16, 2023

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

nopants posted:

Really, the entire first quarter or so of the game leading up to defeating Godrick is some of the best open world design I've ever experienced, its so well crafted when it comes to the slow buildup of the player's abilities and understanding of the game's mechanics and tricks that get thrown at you, and all the unexpected curveballs that the game tosses at you along the way (notable ones: the Caelid trap chest in Dragon-Burnt Ruins, the Bell Bearing hunter invasion where Bernahl usually is, and the elevator down to the underground at the Siofra River Well).

You get to know almost all of the major characters you will interact with for the rest of the journey, some of whom like Varre are initiating quests that will only come to full fruition almost at the very end of the game, you have all these major and minor hurdles that feels like a major accomplishment to overcome, notably the first Tree Sentinel and of course Margit, and you can see how well they've managed to integrate traditional Souls level map design into an open world game with Castle Morne and especially Stormveil that put to bed any concerns I had that the latter would water down the former. Margit and Godrick just by themselves are some of the best bosses in the whole Soulsborne franchise and putting them down feels incredibly satisfying as a task that seemed impossible when you first started, I can't praise those bosses enough when it comes to the way that they end up defining the first portion of the game and putting up an extremely formidable challenge even to veterans going through the game for the first time, but without getting as obnoxiously excessive as some of the later bosses.

Not to say that the rest of the game isn't fantastic but the first few hours in Limgrave up until you come out into Liurnia are seriously something so special.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

v1ld posted:

Took only 15 tries to farm the Mausoleum Knight chest piece! Unlike my first play through when it took forever.

The recent poise rework makes it much easier to get to 51 poise for PvE, which is nice. Wish I had a better 7 poise helmet, though Kaidan isn't bad at all.

Greathelm from that one Caelid merchant. I've been trying to put together basically the same thing but the mausoleum knight just won't drop anything.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

nopants posted:

ive been doing a new playthrough and have been trying to parry the crucible knights only. after getting frustrated with trying to parry my way through the crucible knight duo boss fight, i absolutely clowned them with the executioner's greataxe and warcry. they had no chance

This sounds cool. I didn't know it had increased crit damage.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Greathelm from that one Caelid merchant. I've been trying to put together basically the same thing but the mausoleum knight just won't drop anything.

Good call! I switched to Iron Helm from the merchant before Morne Castle, but that will be even better when I get to Caelid.

I got 3 drops in 15 runs of the knight outside Black Knife Catacombs. Which is better than I remember from last year, but not by much. Except I didn't have to do dozens upon dozens of runs while everything but the chest dropped many times over.

Good luck!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Jose posted:

I got to that point too and it was already at the point of picking sides in front of the library without taking to him about sellen

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Jose posted:

something i missed on my first playthrough and it took an age to locate where the voice was coming from. best helm in the game for sure even if my weapon clips through it

O' mountain of fire! Bake me in your flames!!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
So if you fight fire giant without hitting his leg does it still break?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

So if you fight fire giant without hitting his leg does it still break?

It sure does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

So how do I upgrade weapons anyway, I keep finding all this cool crafting poo poo but idk what to do with it. Do I need a recipe?

After getting sent to Caelid I purposely stepped in another trap and got my first taste of how wildly huge this game is (also running away from things that will murder me on Torrent until I find another Grace is my favorite method of exploration so far)