Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Wow. Banks is a class act and am industry luminary. That's like punching Santa Claus.

At a Chik-Fil-A during Christmas one year…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tsilkani posted:

Zak S has claimed another victim in a country with lovely, unbalanced defamation laws.

https://twitter.com/boymonster/status/1647678950590779392

Which country did Zak sue in this time

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
NZ if I remember right.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I had no idea who Zak S is, and now that I do, I can safely say he looks exactly like I expected someone with that reputation to look.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Has he made more money from the RPG industry by suing people than by making and selling product?

Otherwise, I guess we have to take him at his word when he says he's going to prevail over his posting enemies in court or die trying.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Wow. Banks is a class act and am industry luminary. That's like punching Santa Claus.

Apocryphally, Santa Claus could throw hands

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They also closed comments which was probably a good idea but so far it seems like there's only one person trying to defend the honor of Zak S in replies on QTs. Unclear if they're a Zak alt

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CitizenKeen posted:

PROVE IT WITH PROOF OR RETRACT :byodood:

You know, a lot of things suck about the United States of America, and the things that are still good could change at any time. But I can patriotically consider the proviso: Did Zak S. poo poo his pants at the Chik-fil-A at Gen Con 2017? And freely consider the evidence both pro and con without legal sanction. I can even share my conclusion (he did).

Can his bullshit work in the EU?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

They also closed comments which was probably a good idea but so far it seems like there's only one person trying to defend the honor of Zak S in replies on QTs. Unclear if they're a Zak alt

Becami Cusack or whomever. Allegedly Zak's sister, I think?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
All I know is that it has been years, and Zak S has never posted proof that he didn't poo poo his pants in the Chick-fil-A parking lot at Gen Con

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nessus posted:

PROVE IT WITH PROOF OR RETRACT :byodood:

You know, a lot of things suck about the United States of America, and the things that are still good could change at any time. But I can patriotically consider the proviso: Did Zak S. poo poo his pants at the Chik-fil-A at Gen Con 2017? And freely consider the evidence both pro and con without legal sanction. I can even share my conclusion (he did).

Can his bullshit work in the EU?

Yes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Right on cue, his gross little brigade of look-I'm-a-Queer-allies has come out to play.

https://twitter.com/dykealmyers/status/1647697799457169414?t=e7swbzycSAk4hCN1pr8fvA&s=19

https://twitter.com/knubberub/status/1647712807050149889?t=knSZz18jJy7sgh6pmAJ21w&s=19

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tsilkani posted:

Zak S has claimed another victim in a country with lovely, unbalanced defamation laws.

https://twitter.com/boymonster/status/1647678950590779392

I wonder if he has the guts to sue Matt Mercer for defamation.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
matt's an american so it wouldnt work

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What (other than the stalwart blood shed of Patriots of yore) is it that keeps him from pulling this poo poo in the US?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CitizenKeen posted:

Zak is an alleged pants-shitter and a court-proven sex pest who spends his trust fund money on SLAPP suits to silence critics. Not sure how he thinks this is going to be good for his reputation, but he's a petty little man in the first place so I assume it's just to feed his ego.

Nessus posted:

What (other than the stalwart blood shed of Patriots of yore) is it that keeps him from pulling this poo poo in the US?

First Amendment standards, and the SHIELD act passed under Obama to combat libel tourism by rich foreigners using their court system to try and silence critics in the US.

https://www.hklaw.com/en/insights/publications/2010/09/new-federal-law-protects-authors-interactive-compu

quote:

President Obama has signed into law the “Securing the Protection of our Enduring and Established Constitutional Heritage Act,” or “SPEECH Act,” aimed at preventing “libel tourism.” Libel tourism occurs when a plaintiff sues for defamation in a foreign country with plaintiff-friendly defamation laws because similar suits in the United States would not withstand First Amendment scrutiny. The legislation addresses the libel tourism problem by ensuring that plaintiffs cannot evade free speech and press protections by obtaining defamation judgments in foreign courts, only to return to the United States in order to enforce the judgments obtained.

Most other countries don't have the US laws against SLAPP as well, being Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation, or using the courts to silence critics.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 17, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Zak is an alleged pants-shitter and a court-proven sex pest who spends his trust fund money on SLAPP suits to silence critics. Not sure how he thinks this is going to be good for his reputation, but he's a petty little man in the first place so I assume it's just to feed his ego.

He believes that if he can sue or silence literally all his critics, he will have objectively won and will be accepted back into tabletop gaming's good graces. It's a very weird, very Zak way of approaching things.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Unironically: Thanks, Obama.

Arivia posted:

He believes that if he can sue or silence literally all his critics, he will have objectively won and will be accepted back into tabletop gaming's good graces. It's a very weird, very Zak way of approaching things.
I guess in a sense, each legal victory prevents one person from warning of the broken stair, but this seems like a long, slow, grinding way to do it. He would also need to do something to expand the hobby, so that he gets more victims involved.

He may, to be fair, not be contemplating it in those terms, but that's what it comes down to from the sound of things. Maybe he could go darken some other field's doorstep.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Nessus posted:

Defamation is much, much more difficult to prove in US courts. In a lot of Commonwealth court systems, the burden of proof is on the accused with regards to defamation: they have to prove in a court of law that what they said is true. In the US, that burden is reversed. Instead, the plaintiff needs to prove that the accused wilfully lied AND caused damages.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/IHitItWithMyAxe/status/1647787853697658883

Hi Zak

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, except when it backfires like going against Vivka Grey. You know, where the court agreed that she was factually correct in her statements save for being 'forced' into moving in with him as the court did not consider anything short of physical force to be appropriate to the term, so financial leverage and emotional coercion weren't sufficient; the court also ruled that his rebuttal blog post was almost entirely false save for a couple of factual notes.

To run down the court's confirmation of Zak's factual status as a sex pest:

He expected her to 'be at his beck and call for sex, at any time with any service'.
He expected her to engage in particular sex acts with him, commanding 'now you will do it with me', even over her objections.
He threatened to throw her out if she didn't perform for him, sexually.
He would respond to her pain during sex by telling her she 'just had to loosen up, and shoving a pillow in her face to bite and cry into while he continued'.
He coerced her to have sex with other people of his choosing, calling it 'sport loving', and stood in the way of her pursuing her own romantic interests.

Even more damaging to his own sense of self-worth is the court's backhand insult in ruling he was not sufficiently well known to be a public figure, and award of $1 in damages as the minimum possible by law. :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
He's starting to threaten Americans now. What a loser.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, except when it backfires like going against Vivka Grey. You know, where the court agreed that she was factually correct in her statements save for being 'forced' into moving in with him as the court did not consider anything short of physical force to be appropriate to the term, so financial leverage and emotional coercion weren't sufficient; the court also ruled that his rebuttal blog post was almost entirely false save for a couple of factual notes.

To run down the court's confirmation of Zak's factual status as a sex pest:

He expected her to 'be at his beck and call for sex, at any time with any service'.
He expected her to engage in particular sex acts with him, commanding 'now you will do it with me', even over her objections.
He threatened to throw her out if she didn't perform for him, sexually.
He would respond to her pain during sex by telling her she 'just had to loosen up, and shoving a pillow in her face to bite and cry into while he continued'.
He coerced her to have sex with other people of his choosing, calling it 'sport loving', and stood in the way of her pursuing her own romantic interests.

Even more damaging to his own sense of self-worth is the court's backhand insult in ruling he was not sufficiently well known to be a public figure, and award of $1 in damages as the minimum possible by law. :v:

Imagine creating an edition of D&D and taking input from a person this transparently toxic and narcissistic

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
drat, jeff rients is onto us

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I love that it got an immediate comment by an obvious Zak sockpuppet. :v:

Definitely Not Zak Smith posted:

Simon Tsevelev 6:40 AM
1. An honest man would has some proof about the existence of a "trustfund". Do you have any?
2. An honest man would consider that if, for example, Ettin could crowdfund the money to pay the money that the court required him to pay, he could also crowdfund the money for legal expensive legal action, and wouldn't lie about it.
3. An honest man would consider that Vivka Grey, according to her own words, earns thousands of dollars monthly, and wouldn't lie about her being unable to afford expensive legal action.
4. An honest man would realise that being unable to find any proof of one's claims for years means that what one calls "facts" are just that - unproven claims. And there's a difference.
5. An honest man shouldn't lie anonymously, online or offline.

Never change, fuckweasel.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Fitting the consistent Zak and Zak-adjacent pattern of trite and extremely basic arguments that just as easily apply in the reverse.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

I love that it got an immediate comment by an obvious Zak sockpuppet. :v:

Never change, fuckweasel.

New Zak lore just dropped:

Zak posted:

-I don't have a trustfund.
-I sued successfully in New Zealand, Australia and the US because that's where my abusers lived.
-The other side spent well over half a million dollars collectively against me, and I beat them while I was evicted and on food stamps.
-You couldn't name a damning "fact" about me to save your life.

Evicted and on food stamps, you say.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Simon Tsevelev isn't literally a sockpuppet; he's a Ukrainian who plays with Zak and has his own blog where he denounces Zak's enemies. I remembered the name from flamewars on Skerples' blog. I haven't seen any evidence that Becami Ella Cusack is Zak's sister.

I recall some text in one of the legal decisions indicating that Zak is, or was, genuinely out of money. I have no idea to what extent this is true, but be aware he likes to call people "anti-Semitic conspiracy theorists" for calling him a trust fund failson.

It's easy to assume these people are Zak's sockpuppet accounts because they post in the same weird style, with the constant questions and implied threats, and don't post much when they're not defending him. If you have to deal with these people, my advice is to just keep linking to the relevant court decision and the statements the court determined are true and let them choke on it. Their only answer to that is a YouTube video.

I don't like to psychoanalyze people over the Internet, but unless the lawsuits are a Fred Phelps style scheme to make money, the most straightforward explanation for Zak's behaviour is that winning in court is what matters the most to him. News about his legal disputes generates more engagement than his actual work, and his circle of defenders seems to have pared down to a small circle of people who actually play with him. He can't think he's going to rehabilitate his reputation in the industry and be feted at GenCon or whatever.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 17, 2023

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't like to psychoanalyze people over the Internet, but unless the lawsuits are a Fred Phelps style scheme to make money, the most straightforward explanation for Zak's behaviour is that winning in court is what matters the most to him. News about his legal disputes generates more engagement than his actual work, and his circle of defenders seems to have pared down to a small circle of people who actually play with him. He can't think he's going to rehabilitate his reputation in the industry and be feted at GenCon or whatever.

He's spent nearly his entire tabletop career striving to be proven objectively, completely correct in all things, and winning court cases on technicalities seems to have been the most effective way to achieve that so far

I think there was an aspect of "just one more lawsuit and I'll be vindicated" earlier on but it seems completely spite-based at this point, it's all just about punishing his enemies now

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Wow Zak, thousands of dollars monthly? Obviously that makes her rich! Look at Richie Rich over here making $24,000/year.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Simon Tsevelev isn't literally a sockpuppet; he's a Ukrainian who plays with Zak and has his own blog where he denounces Zak's enemies. I remembered the name from flamewars on Skerples' blog. I haven't seen any evidence that Becami Ella Cusack is Zak's sister.

I recall some text in one of the legal decisions indicating that Zak is, or was, genuinely out of money. I have no idea to what extent this is true, but be aware he likes to call people "anti-Semitic conspiracy theorists" for calling him a trust fund failson.

It's easy to assume these people are Zak's sockpuppet accounts because they post in the same weird style, with the constant questions and implied threats, and don't post much when they're not defending him. If you have to deal with these people, my advice is to just keep linking to the relevant court decision and the statements the court determined are true and let them choke on it. Their only answer to that is a YouTube video.

Yeah, Tsevelev was the 'D&D in the Ukraine' guy on the /rpg subreddit until he threw a fit when they stopped letting people mention Zak and he stomped off to his own blog. If he's a Zak puppet, he's one hell of a long game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't even know what youtube video you're referring to because they've not yet replied to any of my posts that link the doc with screen shots from it that directly state the statements being true with the last line of the argument by the court that makes it look extremely damning

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably people who post like Zak because they think that's what a smart tough guy sounds like. That said, wouldn't surprise me that he's been cultivating sockpuppets for years either.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't even know what youtube video you're referring to because they've not yet replied to any of my posts that link the doc with screen shots from it that directly state the statements being true with the last line of the argument by the court that makes it look extremely damning

There's a video Zak made and posted on his channel that is just 16 minutes of him rambling, claiming the judgement against Vivka means she lied about everything while simultaneously saying the 6 statements the court ruled true are because he wasn't allowed to defend himself properly, which is probably referring to when he tried to demand friends of his be present at her deposition for intimidation purposes and the court smacked him down and fined him and his lawyer.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zak is scum and the good thing about all his lawsuits and sockpuppeting and weird browbeating is that it is an indication that people rightfully caling him scum just eats away at him inside.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

Zak is scum and the good thing about all his lawsuits and sockpuppeting and weird browbeating is that it is an indication that people rightfully caling him scum just eats away at him inside.

It's sort of like how Elon Musk is really obsessed with being seen as cool and funny on social media, like, he could easily bask in the adulation of his fans but it's not enough, he wants to prove to EVERYONE that he is good and right and true.

And like, Zak was like this even before being accused of sexual assault, he'd respond this way to people not liking his OSR stuff.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's sort of like how Elon Musk is really obsessed with being seen as cool and funny on social media, like, he could easily bask in the adulation of his fans but it's not enough, he wants to prove to EVERYONE that he is good and right and true.

And like, Zak was like this even before being accused of sexual assault, he'd respond this way to people not liking his OSR stuff.

The difference is Musk has more than 5 fans.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
In related lovely nerd grifting rear end in a top hat news, Satine and Jamison Phoenix Stone are back to posting regularly and can't stop talking about peptides. I'm calling it now, their next grift will be a nerd nutritional supplements scam.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sounds like he's a big old loser titty-baby who poo poo his diaper or his pants, in a Chick-fil-A, at Gencon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, as mentioned before that's why Zak was kicked off here, RPG.net, and probably other places. Who wants to engage with that?

Bottom Liner posted:

In related lovely nerd grifting rear end in a top hat news, Satine and Jamison Phoenix Stone are back to posting regularly and can't stop talking about peptides. I'm calling it now, their next grift will be a nerd nutritional supplements scam.

Ew. "We're calling these our Bicep Tassels of Muscle Growth!"