Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Has anyone used the Spider grills Venom on your Weber? I'm going to be buying a new weber and am looking at Gucci accessories for it, and this caught my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I bought what is essentially a prize box of pork from my butcher today, and I think one of the items is a ~5 lb bone in pork sirloin roast. I was initially going to treat it like a pork shoulder due to the amount of connective tissue, but I don't think that's correct anymore. Anyone have any experience try to slow cook something like this?

Sounds like a fancy name for the end cut of a pork loin. Smoke to 140 and let it rest about 10 minutes. Carry over cooking will push it beyond 145 and itll be smokey and juicy. Might just debone it and save the bones for stock.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I snake method my 22" Weber kettle and start it with 12 quantity 3/4 white briquettes. Top vent I go fully open, bottom vent is barely open and I live in ~230 for like 5-6 hours which is enough smoke and then I oven it the rest of the way wrapped in foil. This is in Wisconsin mid summer and when I say barely open I mean like halfway between closed and the first indicator on the bottom.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

life is killing me posted:

I was thinking a ball of foil with the probe stuck through it, sitting on the grates (I've got a Weber bluetooth temperature probe).

This is probably fine. Just so you have an idea what the temp is where the meat is. If it’s too hot close the vent if it’s too cool open it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well I haven’t gotten it to stay below 310ish. Did I add too much lit charcoal? Was hoping this 8.7lbs honker of a pork shoulder would be ready to go before 6 tonight (it’s 0915 central), but now I don’t know if that’ll happen. It should add the bottom vent is completely closed and the top one is mostly closed but for the wire coming from the probe.

I removed a bunch of lit ones and threw them back in the chimney so that I could see if the temperature would go down and stay down, it’s at around 250 now and just started to stabilize I think, but man. Now I’m mostly certain I used too many lit ones.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Well I haven’t gotten it to stay below 310ish. Did I add too much lit charcoal? Was hoping this 8.7lbs honker of a pork shoulder would be ready to go before 6 tonight (it’s 0915 central), but now I don’t know if that’ll happen. It should add the bottom vent is completely closed and the top one is mostly closed but for the wire coming from the probe.

I removed a bunch of lit ones and threw them back in the chimney so that I could see if the temperature would go down and stay down, it’s at around 250 now and just started to stabilize I think, but man. Now I’m mostly certain I used too many lit ones.

Yeah I think you're right -- too many lit coals. With pork butt, you'll still be fine if it was running a bit hot for the first bit.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

toplitzin posted:

Have you looked at the Fireboard/FB2? Check out my post history for some screenshots/data.

Edit: Holy poo poo, i have 6 pages of posts in this thread.

Here's a collection of my Fireboard related posts/images to save you the searching :)

Thanks for the recommendation! I've looked at it and while it seems sexy as hell and right up my alley in terms of preferred functionality, it's apparently only sold in Europe via import-outlets. Not sure what the NA-MSRP is, but the base-unit with two probes would run me 280€, with an additional 80€ for the four-probe-package, for a total of 360€, which is quite a bit outside of my maximum price range of 80-150€.

I've gone with the IBBQ-4BW, which should scratch all of my perceived itches and is probably the rational purchase, but goddamn, now you made me all jealous of the FB2's option to just visualize entire cooks via a sexy web-interface. t:mad:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Yeah I think you're right -- too many lit coals. With pork butt, you'll still be fine if it was running a bit hot for the first bit.

Yeah it seems to be the case. I stuck the probe into the pork shoulder so don’t know exactly what temperature the grill surface is at now, but I can’t hold my hand on to the direct side of the lid for more than a second if that, and I know the pork is cooking since it’s rising in temperature. Since I had the lid open for awhile and took a good bit of heat out from removing coals, I added 5-6 more lit ones on top of some additional unlit coals I threw on to keep it from dipping too much. Seems stable now, but I’m trying to keep track with an IR thermometer and it’s not really good for that sort of thing.

I hadn’t put the pork on yet since I posted my last, because the temperature was so high, so oh well. Maybe finishing it in the oven later on will get it done in time. I should have put it on last night but I started feeling sick, like food poisoning sick. I was going to get up around 5am but that didn’t happen since I was up half the night.

e: seems stabilized now, still unsure of surface temp but the internal temp has climbed to 127F as of a couple minutes ago, and is slowing. Unsure if stall or needs more lit coals now. But I’m getting wispy faint “blue” smoke, so seems to be going okay thus far.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 15, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gonna smoke some New York steaks tonight.

The ribeyes came out fantastic so I have no doubt these will be bangin.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

drat. I'm only at like 143F right now on an 8+ lbs shoulder (bone-in). Will we be eating this thing before midnight, if I put it in the oven at 260F?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

drat. I'm only at like 143F right now on an 8+ lbs shoulder (bone-in). Will we be eating this thing before midnight, if I put it in the oven at 260F?

Yeah, midnight tomorrow

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, midnight tomorrow

Yeah. Seems that way.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

It's counter-intuitive (at least to me) but a bone-in for anything probably adds 10-15 minutes/lb depending on the mass.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

It's counter-intuitive (at least to me) but a bone-in for anything probably adds 10-15 minutes/lb depending on the mass.

It’s still in there. We ordered pizza and chalked this one up to lunch tomorrow. I tried the oven and it wasn’t any better so back to the grill it went lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Great flavor! It was a little finicky because one of them is significantly smaller but they both came out great.

Gonna try pork chops next weekend.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The pork shoulder finally finished! I took it off the grill and put it in the oven at 220 last night before going to bed and it was at about 210 when I got up. Happy with the bark, too. Going to rest it then throw it in the cooler with some towels so it keeps temp to lunch.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Made some chili out of smoked beef chuck yesterday. Came out excellent, but was incredibly rich. Definitely needed that squeeze of lime.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Just got my Inkbird IBBQ-4BW, and while it'll connect with my phone via bluetooth with no discussion, it refuses to connect with my Wifi. Bit frustrating, but I'll give it a troubleshooting shot again tomorrow.
The device overall gives an overall amazing impression, responsiveness of the probes is pretty impressive, I'll give it a calibration shot in the next couple of days.

I'm a little annoyed with the refusal connect, but I'll allow for some "user-related" issues, and see if I can't fix this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just got my Inkbird IBBQ-4BW, and while it'll connect with my phone via bluetooth with no discussion, it refuses to connect with my Wifi. Bit frustrating, but I'll give it a troubleshooting shot again tomorrow.
The device overall gives an overall amazing impression, responsiveness of the probes is pretty impressive, I'll give it a calibration shot in the next couple of days.

I'm a little annoyed with the refusal connect, but I'll allow for some "user-related" issues, and see if I can't fix this.

Do you have a 2.4ghz home wifi to connect to?

I bring it up because lately 5.0 has become more popular in homes but 2.4 has a longer range and sure enough the manual says to connect to a 2.4ghz WiFi when you connect

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 16, 2023

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Made some ribs, friends

Didn't have the ingredients for sauce, but they didn't need it, were delicious would smoke again

Babybacks straight 4 hours no crutch final destination

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Those ribs look great

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Goddamn I want those ribs. I need to pick some up next time I go to BJ's.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Trying my new pellet smoker and I got excited and did a 3 pack of pork ribs since that’s what Costco sold…it’s a bit much for my family of four which has a 4 and 2 year old kid.

I cut the remaining ones into sections of 4 ribs and froze them.

Assuming this works, what’s the best way to reheat?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

nwin posted:

Trying my new pellet smoker and I got excited and did a 3 pack of pork ribs since that’s what Costco sold…it’s a bit much for my family of four which has a 4 and 2 year old kid.

back on the smoker. Burnt End Ribs.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Goddamn I haven't done ribs in FOREVER. I need to change that asap

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nwin posted:

Sous vide.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kalman posted:

Sous vide.

140 for 30 minutes or so?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I mean you basically are just raising it back to eating temp so I’d say that should work? Might have to throw it back in for a bit if that doesn’t fully heat it.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

nwin posted:

I actually individually cut and air fry all my ribs, freshly cooked or frozen. Helps reduce the fat further and gives it a nice crust. Give it a try, it’s a game changer.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Time for some pig rear end

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/3178370?fbclid=IwAR1DjQ5HoUw1akRWLiWuju-oISg1g_qlSj3qIKTfmFChkKPR-5JqpZuYOBM

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Excuse me, but this is the pig balls website

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Excuse me, but this is the pig balls website

New thread title

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Do you have a 2.4ghz home wifi to connect to?

I bring it up because lately 5.0 has become more popular in homes but 2.4 has a longer range and sure enough the manual says to connect to a 2.4ghz WiFi when you connect

Yeah, i took note of that from the get go.

I did a bunch of trial and error going through the different ways the manual tells you how to connect the thing, none of them worked, then upon trying again, one of them suddenly worked.

I have no idea which one it was or what the problem was, but uhh...it's connected now sooo... :confuoot:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pork shoulder ended up a little dry. Think I cooked it too long trying to hit 195/197 and should have pulled it a few hours sooner when it was like 190. Also think maybe my grill temp controller reads a little low and I should probably cook at indicated 250 instead of 225.

Ribs were amazing though, 2/2/1 with some apple cider vinegar.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Pork shoulder ended up a little dry. Think I cooked it too long trying to hit 195/197 and should have pulled it a few hours sooner when it was like 190. Also think maybe my grill temp controller reads a little low and I should probably cook at indicated 250 instead of 225.

Was there little white bits of fat in the shoulder meat still?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I did a pork butt yesterday. 6 hours on the smoker at 275 then in the oven with some broth covered at at 350 for 2 hours. Shredded perfectly for some great tacos.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Did you wrap the pork butt? If so I'd be way more suspicious that it was dry because it was undercooked and not fully rendered. Especially if it was soft on the outside and tougher in the middle. I get that a lot unless I go to 205F+ internal, but I always wrap because I'm in a hurry.

But if it wasn't wrapped, and the meat was dry at the outside then yeah, consider a higher temp so it cooks a bit faster. How long was it taking unwrapped? 12-14+ hours?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

was following a guide for a 5lb brisket on the treagger and Im thinking it led me astray.

3 hours this morning at 250 till it hit 165, wrapped, then was expecting another 6 in the foil hit 205. Hit 205 at 2.5 hours though so I pulled it for a rest

what the hell happened here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Hey man, I’d offer you that it wasn’t fully cooked and seemed dry because the fats didn’t render. Pork at 225-250 can take a while to get through the 190s into the low 200s. Fight your instinct and let her go to 203-205. It’ll have a nice jiggle to it and will probe easily when ready.