Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Saman posted:

pro tip if you're stupid like me and haven't been soloing dungeons for 7 years so you know all the little intricacies and gotchas: if you're trying to do the solo dungeon triumph, don't ever go to orbit, it doesnt count even if you are solo when restarting the checkpoint. Found that out after spending the better part of 6 hours soloing spire, leaving at persys for the night because i had a bad run and wanted to finish it this morning, then did it third try and only got the full fireteam triumph instead of The Magnificent One. Great stuff.

Ah glad to know I am not the only one to suffer this mistake recently.

Exactly what happened to me but for rally banners and man it hurt. I was so desperate to be done with my WANTED title I ended up just running it back immediately and getting it done. Havent had my hand cramp like that from a gaming session in a long long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

AccountSupervisor posted:

Ah glad to know I am not the only one to suffer this mistake recently.

Exactly what happened to me but for rally banners and man it hurt. I was so desperate to be done with my WANTED title I ended up just running it back immediately and getting it done. Havent had my hand cramp like that from a gaming session in a long long time.

Yeah I just cleared today after that happened at least, it went hilariously more smoothly (excepting one very stupid death on my last reactor wiring cycle where i got sandwiched by a supplicant and a minotaur running into the back room at full speed) and i got a great kinetic tremors primary during it so hey, double win.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Me when I know nothing about networking or IT infrastructure:

I do know about large scale distributed networking infrastructure and Bungies code has to be held together with duct tape and bubblegum.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

I do know about large scale distributed networking infrastructure and Bungies code has to be held together with duct tape and bubblegum.

That's structural support rust. You can't scrub it off because the beams have been fully ferrous oxidised.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DancingShade posted:

That's structural support rust. You can't scrub it off because the beams have been fully ferrous oxidised.

Bungies code isn’t in Rust! It’s in C++! :colbert:

It’s hilarious that whenever Bungie servers take a poo poo for the nth time in a season people come out of the woodwork and try to defend their piss-poor infrastructure with things like “Oh? Do you know anything about networking? :smug:

Yes, lots of people who play the game do, and lots of billion dollar games have servers that are stable and don’t poo poo the bed for hours of downtime every other week.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Bungies code isn’t in Rust! It’s in C++! :colbert:

It’s hilarious that whenever Bungie servers take a poo poo for the nth time in a season people come out of the woodwork and try to defend their piss-poor infrastructure with things like “Oh? Do you know anything about networking? :smug:

Yes, lots of people who play the game do, and lots of billion dollar games have servers that are stable and don’t poo poo the bed for hours of downtime every other week.

I remember playing Doom (MS-DOS) over a null modem serial cable. No corporate stooge is every going to convince me that peer to peer networking is superior to dedicated regional servers. Or the king of networking, LANs.

gently caress those idiots. Apologies to any corporate stooges but not a sincere one.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't think anyone is arguing that peer to peer is better, just cheaper. It does kind of astound me how many sizeable games these days go p2p, especially considering games now a days get shut down anyway and removed from sale, even if they're singleplayer only. The idea that 'oh don't worry about us shutting down the central server you can still play on your own' no longer exists.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I promise if I ever make a terrible game that I will make it so even when I get bored of making it that it will always run via peer to peer, so no matter what happens people can self flagellate by playing that trash.

People will start begging for ways to patch it so they don't have to deal with it and I'll look down and say "I lost the source code :("

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

FlapYoJacks posted:

I'm the president of networks and this guy is an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Appreciate the help from Kilranin, Steel, Squirellord, Yahiko, Moon, Meiteron, NG and Uller.

Good time gilding this season. The new content for the GM space was super appreciated and it felt nice to have some new content to learn and get through. I like PG and Glassway as introductory GM's. Glassway has been pretty consistently in the rotation since Beyond Light so I feel like lots of people know the boss room now. Strand also totally trivializes the wyverns and overloads that typically push you. Strand Titan in GMs is really strong for the CC. I like it much more than hunter since the suspend off class ability doesn't put you in danger the way a hunter dive does. HoIL's ability spam also feels much more valuable than the "harder" cc of the exotic boots. The barrier champions still feel incredibly tedious to me though.

LoS was the least enjoyable for me. The meatball is super annoying and take forever to progress past during runs. We finally had a big brain moment and did 2 well locks and a strand titan for CC and essentially burned him with fusion grenades and MGs. You can have the titan pop super and clear adds when they all pile up so the warlocks can keep grenading but it was stupid easy and we got past that part at like 12/13 mins.

Having essentially 4 new GM's made it entertaining to go through and actually learn new content instead of like "oh i screwed up the thing that i know how to do" if that makes any sense.

Now I have to help the homies get through Conqueror and I personally just want to hit Rank 11 which means I finally have an excuse to finish VoG's Fatebreaker (Arc/Solar/Void Runs, but all the master stuff is done lmao) and Spire's Wanted title (Solo & All Arc). I am not looking foward to a solo run from a time perspective :(

e: I think if I had to put together a cookie cutter fireteam for most gm's this season it'd be like:
1. Warlock for Well
2. Void Hunter - Omni insurance policy, aeons for ammo. Gyrfalcons I don't love and feels almost unneeded since all of the explosions from everyone anyway due to volatile flow.
3. Strand Titan - the HoIL CC spam is too strong and can solve alot of issues for you. Tormentor on LS, various champ pushes, suspending spawns. Too strong.

PS: The artifact mod that makes weapons with Ambush overcharged if overcharge is active means you can use Retrofit the whole time. You can also take Void Weapon Channeling which helps a bit if you're running Void without the burn and the uptime is pretty good on my void hunter the way I play since I ususally sit on dodge as a get out of jail free card.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 16, 2023

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Reminder to buy 5 copies of Brigand's Law from Xur if you don't already have the pattern unlocked, for the red border change next season.

Going to have to be buying from him each week for past seasons if you missed anything and want to be able to craft it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ-GFlxiWfw

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Hamelekim posted:

the red border change next season.

What's this about?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bleck posted:

What's this about?

You will be able to shove Deepsight into a compatible weapon next season.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I am preparing for it to work like we all want it to but am expecting it to work in the worst way possible that doesn't actually help anyone.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's not confirmed without absolute certainty the specifics, but they previous said the plan was 1) to add it next season 2) you cannot deepsightify a gun that's already had it (thus getting 5 copies)

It's always possible they might go "you can't do it to guns you acquired before this season" making prep-work irrelevant, but odds are probably in favor of them not bothering with that.

Will be curious how it applies to Last Wish guns (assuming rumors are true) though, could almost see those being a special case. (Or I'm already assuming raid guns will be limited to like, 1 deepsight a week, or need a currency you only get once a week.)

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Oxyclean posted:

Will be curious how it applies to Last Wish guns (assuming rumors are true) though, could almost see those being a special case. (Or I'm already assuming raid guns will be limited to like, 1 deepsight a week, or need a currency you only get once a week.)

They will probably solve that by re-releasing the weapons with new perk pools therefore the old weapons won't count. But yeah, raid limits and such being implemented as well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

life_source posted:

They will probably solve that by re-releasing the weapons with new perk pools therefore the old weapons won't count.

Yeah, new versions of Last Wish guns are guaranteed since they intend to give them origin traits + new perk pools like DSC, and I guess the game could just not recognize old versions as valid for deepsightifying. Just curious if that's something they'd get for free with how they designed their systems, or something they'd need to go out of their way to address.

But no way they re-release all of last year's seasonal guns to circumvent people doing prep work.

life_source
May 11, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

But no way they re-release all of last year's seasonal guns to circumvent people doing prep work.

hahahah ogh my gosh it's going to be this hahahah

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kith posted:

You will be able to shove Deepsight into a compatible weapon next season.

So I can spend something to put the red frame into a weapon, and then... take it out? Enough times so that I'm allowed to craft it?

To be clear I only really started playing Destiny again right around when Lightfall released which was right around when they apparently changed how the system worked, so a lot of the information involves terms that I don't really understand.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bleck posted:

So I can spend something to put the red frame into a weapon, and then... take it out? Enough times so that I'm allowed to craft it?
More or less? The way they described the system, it will only apply to guns that are eligible for crafting, but you will do something that upgrades the gun to have a red frame, then you will presumably just dismantle it or "extract pattern" and get progress towards being able to craft it. You will only be able to do this once per copy of a gun, so it's not like you can get 1 brigand's law and keep juicing it up until you can craft it, you'll need 5 different brigand's laws.

That said, they described this system back before Lightfall. It feels like it's supposed to exist as a "bad luck protection" system and probably replace some of the stuff like "your first focus of the week gives deepsight" so the cynic in me feels like there's gonna be wrinkles to the system that limit how quick it will be.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

That sounds like a really complicated solution to what should be a simple problem, and I'm starting to realize that that's generally par for the course for this game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

maybe i'm not describing my understanding very well, but it doesn't strike me as all that complicated. "Turn gun into red border version, some restrictions apply"

Or at least I feel like other MMOs are filled with as or more complicated systems.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

It just seems like an extra step before “another red border gun drops” with a functional outcome that is identical to “another red border drops” except it cost development time & energy.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Roctavian posted:

It just seems like an extra step before “another red border gun drops” with a functional outcome that is identical to “another red border drops” except it cost development time & energy.
Bungie: "This is the way"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's not that complicated. You earn/buy a resource. You spend that resource to add a red border to a gun that could have had a red border but doesn't. It gains a red border and now behaves like a natural red border drop in every other respect. The only unknowns are how much time and currency the resource costs and how much it's throttled beyond that

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

haveblue posted:

Yeah it's not that complicated. You earn/buy a resource. You spend that resource to add a red border to a gun that could have had a red border but doesn't. It gains a red border and now behaves like a natural red border drop in every other respect. The only unknowns are how much time and currency the resource costs and how much it's throttled beyond that

I'm saying it's complicated as a criticism.

Problem: you have a gun that you want but you don't have the perks you want on it.

Described solution: You obtain Thing 1. You spend Thing 1 to buy Thing 2 (the red border). You then (immediately?) spend Thing 2 to obtain Thing 3 (the data from the extract). Once you have enough of Thing 3, you are allowed to craft a gun that has the perks you want, a process which also probably costs Thing X.

Less needlessly complicated solution: let me spend Thing 1 to change a gun's perks.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bleck posted:

Problem: you have a gun that you want but you don't have the perks you want on it.

Described solution: You obtain Thing 1. You spend Thing 1 to buy Thing 2 (the red border). You then (immediately?) spend Thing 2 to obtain Thing 3 (the data from the extract). Once you have enough of Thing 3, you are allowed to craft a gun that has the perks you want, a process which also probably costs Thing X.

Less needlessly complicated solution: let me spend Thing 1 to change a gun's perks.

this is exactly how the ornament bounties used to work

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I wasn't around for that. Why'd they change it?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

because it felt like poo poo and was relentlessly mocked

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Roctavian posted:

The proposed "upgrade a gun to red border" solves a bunch of problems:
1) How do you get red borders for guns that are phased out? (do not drop, or have very limited sources such that the RNG would make it very frustrating to get the pattern done)
This saves them from needing to worry about loot pools, or creating goofy things like sitting at banshee and buying guns until it randomly gives you 5 red borders of the gun.

2) How do you offer bad luck protection or ways for players to focus towards unlocking a gun they want and/or mitigate RNG?
This saves them from needing to have to add some kind of "you can focus on gun into a deepsight each week" table upgrade, and it will save them dev time adding a weapon buy chest to Last Wish or Garden of Salvation.

Basically rather then having several different bad luck protection/focused grind systems for getting red borders, there will just be one way.

Bleck posted:

I mean, it's building on existing systems. We already have "get 5 things to make gun customizable" so the new system is practically "buy one <thing>."

They don't want you to <spend thing 1 to customize your gun> because they want unlocking gun customization to be a bit of a grind so players play for longer. As much as I roll my eyes at people who bring up "the better devils problem" you do want some degree of grind and chase in your loot game.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I can understand the grind and having goals, it just seems from the description that this system will be several steps that take a few moments. Say I've obtained the resources to get the red border, and then I buy the red border, and then I immediately extract the red border. It sounds like if I have enough of the first thing I need, then all of the rest of the steps will take virtually no time or effort beyond clicking on a button, so why are they there?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well, we don't actually know what the final implementation actually is, but it seems like 1) it fits neatly into how player's are familiar with unlocking crafting (you extract a pattern from the gun) and 2) it lets them have that small "wrinkle" where you need to provide a fresh copy of the gun on top of the mats.

Maybe in the final implementation you toss a fresh gun and the materials into a blender and it gives you pattern progress without asking you to press the extract button yourself.

For reference, this is how they described it:

quote:

Deepsight activation, AKA "manual Deepsight"

This feature allows you to electively apply Deepsight to a weapon that has a pattern available to unlock.
Only weapons that have not previously rolled with Deepsight are valid for Deepsight activation.
Deepsight can’t be activated on the same weapon instance multiple times.
The ability to manually activate Deepsight will be tightly controlled, and there will be some variation in cost depending on the weapon (e.g. a raid weapon will require additional currencies compared to a seasonal weapon).
We’re targeting a Season 21 release for this feature.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Someone explain to me why I can snipe reliably in every game BUT Destiny, because I find it incredibly 'flighty' and get way fewer headshots as a result.

This only seems to be a Destiny thing.

life_source
May 11, 2008

It might be the gun. Aim assist is wildly affected by zoom amount and the actual Aim Assist stat.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

They should just change the pattern unlock to a percentage and give a couple percent for every gun with a pattern you dismantle, and a huge percent for every deep sight you extract. Hell you could even still have this new currency/system for adding deep sight and just give a big percentage boost instead of turning it red or whatever. Then every drop matters, and red drops are still a Big Deal.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So given the history of a lot of systems in the game you can see the trajectory of the "make deepsight" thing.

At first they introduce all the old seasonal weapons into pools at Banshee or the world or whatever. Cool, this is probably Bungie making sure it doesn't break anything, plus players are happy because more guns is good.

Next they're introducing "make it red", where you do a thing to make the gun into a single use juicer for the pattern. They'll monitor this and probably check what percentage of weapons are being juiced vs used, and see that everyone is just making big ole juice til they get the patterns.

The next step will be doing the equivalent of "if you obtain an older weapon that you can get pattern progress from, default it to red border", skipping the juice section. And that sounds way too nice for players. Need Piece of Mind? Wait til it pops at Banshees and buy five and juice em. Except...

Proceed to move all old pattern weapons to a new vendor requiring focusing at high cost (and probably a node to focus for each season) so you're chewing through 50+ shards and maybe some cores or something per piece. Or, alternatively the red box drops would move to Xur or similar, for a sweet 75 shards and a core or something.

The whole thing is they want players to be able to get old content and weapons, loving Legal Weapon II is back as a world drop ffs. But they need to have player engagement as their business, and letting people buy 5 copies of a gun for 25 shards at Banshee doesn't encourage that.

So that's my prediction. We'll get all the patterns open to everyone! But it will come at a grindy cost.

And I'm okay with that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The system is clunky and sucks because it's a system on a system on a system on a system that's 8 years old and never intended to be around this long, and that just Is What It Is

I think the goofy part is the "get and store 5 copies of a gun and do the Thing to each one" bit

Not sure how they'd improve it but that's the Wtf Lol part to me

Something there feels like it could've been a lot more elegant

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

They're (slowly) addressing all the poo poo wrong with neptune, but they didn't start where it matters:

Please god adjust the loving red border drop rate, this is horseshit

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Does anyone have recommendations for doing the 7-minute Partition? I did this week's with an LFG fireteam and it seemed pretty quick, but didn't get the triumph. Only having 1 shot/week kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Something there feels like it could've been a lot more elegant

just use the side vendor of the Artifact to buy a deepsight pattern in its entirety for... idk, an Ascendant Shard. problem solved