Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Also any map with "crowd" NPCs is dangerous for explosives, since the damage radius can splash through walls/floors, and even a single point of damage will send a fake NPC into cardiac arrest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I quite like using semtex to kill targets in freelancer mode, just make sure you are at a safe distance as the extremely loud explosion will alert every NPC in the area.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

If 47 blows up a target in the woods with semtex but no one's around to hear it, did it really make a sound?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

If 47 blows up a target in the woods with semtex but no one's around to hear it, did it really make a sound?

Grey was.... so no, it doesn't make a sound.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Silent Assassin is really more of an aspirational goal than a specific rule.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nakar posted:

Silent Assassin is really more of an aspirational goal than a specific rule.

Silent Aspiration, for when you have two civilians one dead, one glowing orange, clumsily stuffed a cupboard while you still act like getting caught on camera is a big problem.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
SA's quirks been discussed to death, but my favourite of those quirks is that you can shoot anybody in the leg or stomach as a distraction and this still counts as SA.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wow, the forum rules have got a lot laxer suddenly

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The absolute coolest move in the game is shooting someone in the shin then punching them out without getting probated.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

eleven extra elephants posted:

SA's quirks been discussed to death, but my favourite of those quirks is that you can shoot anybody in the leg or stomach as a distraction and this still counts as SA.
Leaving bullet holes, bullet casings, and bloody clothing changes all over the place is the peak of stealth.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Nakar posted:

Leaving bullet holes, bullet casings, and bloody clothing changes all over the place is the peak of stealth.

Don't forget the dozens of people with blunt force head trauma stuffed into closets.

Clearly completely unrelated to the terrible accident that took place in that locale on that dark day.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

A half-dozen guards report to the infirmary with bullet wounds? Status as a legend preserved. One guy found beat up in an alley? Only an amateur would be this sloppy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
One thing I've done a lot more on freelancer is shoot somebody once in the back with a silverballer, thinking it's the emetic gun, and oddly feeling bad about it. Oh no I'm so sorry I shot you with a bullet, I meant to shoot you with a dart that makes you sick and then drown you in your own vomit

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

A half-dozen guards report to the infirmary with bullet wounds? Status as a legend preserved. One guy found beat up in an alley? Only an amateur would be this sloppy.
Also, it's important to kill the target to send a message. But nobody can find the target until you're some arbitrary distance from the scene. And the conspicuousness of your exit is irrelevant; if you stole the victim's car to drive away, well, who can really be sure who did that?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The testimony of someone found passed-out in a closet is inadmissible as evidence.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Dabir posted:

Wow, the forum rules have got a lot laxer suddenly
Okay, this was a good joke and I didn't want it to pass by without a thumb up.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SA is maintained no matter how you kill the target by yelling IN MINECRAFT after you do it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

The testimony of someone found passed-out in a closet is inadmissible as evidence.

found? they were never found. that's their home now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

look, we all take freezer naps during a tough day on the job.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, every living pair that share a container get married.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

also, every living pair that share a container get married.

That flirting couple in Dartmoor finally take their chance in the closet.... oh but then somebody had to come fetch a tie so they have to pretend to be passed out facing different directions! :argh:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Vox's Escalation reviews/tips: Hitman 3 Generally

I'm still only about halfway through the game, so I may revise this post on a fuller examination.

Before you attempt any escalations in a given location, unlock every shortcut. Many escalations presume that you have all shortcuts open.

Hitman 3 is a weird, messy final entry to the trilogy with a notable trend toward much simpler, limited maps. This has consequences when, of the 23 escalations, about 19 include either no disguise change or suit only requirements. Learning how to path through the areas of each map suit only is extremely useful, because in each map, there's going to be a particular safe navigation path to each secured area, and you're going to be expected to use it over and over (and over, and over).

Deluxe Edition escalations are all references to famous targets or missions from past Hitman games. They're all some variant of suit only, involve heavy changes to the map layout, and, possibly because they're so heavily edited, are surprisingly easy to SA because intended kills and routes tend to be clearly signposted (with one nasty exception in Chongquing). These escalations are worth using as part of getting to max level mastery in each level.

Seven Deadly Sins escalations are a mess. The plot concept of the escalations is cool (47, in a coma after the events of Mendoza, floats through his memories interacting with animal personifications of the sins). Each involves some stylish voicework and visual edits which range from "oooh, neat" to aggravating, partially depending on how many times you have to re-run a mission.

The idea of this DLC seems to have been to build out experimental gameplay, and the concept was sound, but in practice, each of the escalations is a mess hobbled by severe restrictions and bad design and/or conveyance. Many of the "experimental" elements boil down to the player needing to rush blindly, or being given the quasi-option of an easier time in exchange for not actually getting all challenges. Each SDS escalation is also some kind of multi-target marathon, a design approach that, as in past escalations, is a recipe for frustration when some part of the process misfires.

Each SDS escalation is suit only, and rewards a suit and a couple gimmick items (usually of no value). IoI undoubtedly knew these were a tough row to hoe, as you need only clear the first level of each to get its unlocks. However, getting 100% completion for each escalation usually requires running it start to finish multiple times, sometimes with little variation. For all these reasons, I go into way more detail on these escalations to make dealing with them less frustrating for others.

Permanent Event escalations are...fine, actually, all two of them. Another good candidate for building location mastery.

Dubai
I hope you like the maintenance corridor, because you're going to be spending a lot of time there.

The Sebastian Principle (as in Sebastian Sato, this mission's punching bag)
A perfectly fine tutorial for general Hitman gameplay that doesn't actually teach you very much about how the wildly variable escalations work.

The Phoenix Ascension (a reference to resurrection and a deliberate repeat of the "ascension" theme from the Prologue escalation)
Arguably a better and more accurate training in escalations, including the fact that they will sometimes screw you with zero warning. While the pacifications and eliminations of the first two levels are straightforward, the third level will drop a surprise additional objective on you: after you knock out the new target, you have to put his unconscious body in a supply room. This is trivial if you knocked him out in the hallway near the room, and an obviously unintended slog from anywhere else.

The Sinbad Stringent (named for the adventures of Sinbad the Sailor, and referencing a line from Marcus Stuyvesant about his standards for guards, uttered before his knife-throwing test)
The first couple levels of this escalation are fair and quite clever- pathing to different areas and hitting targets with knives (the knives are abundantly spread through the level, so this isn't too hard). The second level requiring ascension to much riskier areas isn't too bad (although it becomes clear that a number of dead ends in the map were set up only for this escalation).

The third level, however, is a mess. The "with a knife" is silently dropped, and the targets are much too far away- you have to shoot them. The game actually spawns a silenced sniper rifle for this purpose, but doesn't tell you where it is you guessed it, the maintenance corridor. One of the five targets is also in the most secured dead end of the map- the balcony outside Carl Ingram's suite. Getting there requires knocking out like 20 people suit only, as both Carl and, inexplicably, Marcus path around with bodyguards in tow (though to be fair, Carl's scripting seems to make him permanently gently caress off to a lower level at some point for unclear reasons). There's thankfully a workaround, which might be intended: from some corners of the rooftop with the golf setup, you can hit the target around the pillar that's meant to block your view.

Then, you get another surprise gently caress you objective- killing Marcus with a knife. This might be ironic and thematically relevant, but there's no reliable or clear way for this to be done. It's also implemented badly- Marcus's bodyguard doesn't detect your outfit for no good reason. All in all, a conceptually novel and interesting escalation driven into the dirt by its final level.

The Asmodeus Waltz (as in a dance with the devil, also in three parts)
This Deluxe Edition DLC escalation is a reference to the A Dance with the Devil mission, in which your target, Anthony Martinez, wore the referenced (and unlocked) suit on his travels to a sort-of similar penthouse party. This mission unlocks his fairly cool outfit and a cosmetically different silenced submachine gun and suitcase. This mission nails it aesthetically, with a "devil" figure appearing and disappearing in various places pointing you along the path of the first two levels (and very cleverly appearing in the exit animations, a touch I had been hoping someone would use). A shame the other deluxe escalations aren't so clever!

Each of the kills for the first two levels are also well-telegraphed (often by the devil) and clean to execute, giving the player good mastery of some unusual routes to take through the map (including, sigh, the maintenance corridor). The third is an excellent twist, as you assume the role of the devil and have to navigate the map to perform another five kills with a weapon you've unlocked, concealable in the associated briefcase. If only all the escalations could be so good!

Seven Deadly Sins escalations will get their own posts.

Vox escalation post links:
ICA Facility, Paris
Sapienza
Marrakesh
Bangkok, Colorado
Hokkaido
Hawke's Bay, Miami
Santa Fortuna
Mumbai
Whittleton Creek
Isle of Sgáil
New York, Haven Island
Hitman 3 generally, Dubai
Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Dartmoor
Berlin, Lust
Chongqing
Mendoza, Carpathian Mountains
Pride, Gluttony, Envy

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 2, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Permanent Event escalations are...fine, actually, all two of them. Another good candidate for building location mastery.

Probably just a brainfart but which two are you referring to here?

e: Nevermind lol it's the Big Bad Wolf one and the Easter one right

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Man, I love when things suddenly go south in Freelancer, and boy howdy, do they go quickly.

Also you are made of paper for some reason.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

RBA Starblade posted:

Probably just a brainfart but which two are you referring to here?

e: Nevermind lol it's the Big Bad Wolf one and the Easter one right

Dartmoor Garden Party and the Easter one.

Cornelia Stuyvesant! AH, YOU'RE HERE! HOW WONDERFUL!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 17, 2023

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I wish I had that jaw stawp you look fiiiiiine wow I never knew this stuff was so complicated

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They're only numbers!!!!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

some major rear end in a top hat is holding up the LINE

AH, won't you join us?

LOOK DANIEL, SHE'S NICE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

LOOK DANIEL, SHE'S NICE

Diana: 47.... I'm footing the bill on this one.....

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Geez darling I'm so hungry

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

JORDAN CROSS DOESN'T NEED SOME NUMBERS TO KNOW HOW OLD HE IS

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
THAT is Viktor Novikov

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Miami "Oh my gaaaaaawd"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

JORDAN CROSS DOESN'T NEED SOME NUMBERS TO KNOW HOW OLD HE IS

WE'RE VERY BUSY DOWN HERE!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The Miami "Oh my gaaaaaawd"

I love those two(?), I've never seen who is saying it but I've always assumed it's a couple of friends spotting each other and being super psyched to see each other :allears:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My knee is *so sore*

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Rocco! ROCCO! You'll be late for your first day!

Relaaaaax, just let me put some paaants awwn

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JASON. PORTMAN.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Relaaaaax, just let me put some paaants awwn

[47, stealing Rocco's pants yet again] lmao no you won't

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Looks like Sophia the schemer is up to it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

RBA Starblade posted:

Geez darling I'm so hungry

I'm really curious what the direction was like for this guy's lines. The series is filled with a bunch of funny/weird dialogue, but this one is just so hammy