Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

romero married an 18 year old romanian girl when he was 37

John Romero’s about to mail order his bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bar Crow posted:

:eyepop:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bar Crow posted:

lol jesus

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd take about twenty percent off there, Squirrely Dan.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bar Crow posted:

:drat:
gently caress that's good.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Bar Crow posted:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Bar Crow posted:

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bar Crow posted:

:eyepop:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Bar Crow posted:

Jesus god

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Bar Crow posted:

:holymoley:

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Bar Crow posted:

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Bar Crow posted:

holy poo poo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bar Crow posted:

Close the thread and goldmine it right now.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bar Crow posted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new thew!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUc3G_Sgkcc&hd=1

I liked the movie ironhide bull-face and the hood-shoulders and the ridiculously complicated-looking guns, actually not a bad design all things considered. one of the better of the early bayformer "pile of scrap metal" designs.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I did not realise that Jeff Minter is a goon. He's a lovely guy though. Pro follow on Twitter simply for his quick lives where he and Giles feed their sheep (and llamas, of course).

John Romero is also lovely, he and Brenda were in Blackpool last year and were nice as hell to everyone. They didn't have a room at the Norbreck, mind you.

(Should probably also point out, just to be pedantic, that Minter wouldn't have ever had anything to do with Nolan Bushnell who was long gone from Atari well before Minter had any association with them. His main inspiration/influence has always been Eugene Jarvis)

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 17, 2023

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

richard garriot has also been possessed by the crypto demon and is currently trying to fund a blockchain mmo

Well that doesn't surprise. Garriot been on the grift train for a while now.

I have a hypothesis about why theres a bunch of old beloved game veterans becoming grifters. I reckon they all mostly didn't make much money as developers back in they day and now they're all approaching retirement with nothing to retire with.

So once they realised that there was an audience of people willing to throw large piles of money at them for any arbitrary idea of theirs, since they're all clearly auteur geniuses in their fans eyes, so they saw it as a means to cash out a huge retirement cheque .

That's why you don't see like Ken and Roberta Williams getting back into the game and pulling this sort of poo poo, they made bank back in the day and retired super early and are now boring yacht people.

Garriot's an outlier in this example he's clearly been extremely wealthy for a while, although maybe he blew all his money on pyrotechnics and renfaire futures... dunno.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Skippy McPants posted:

Sadly, a lot of early game devs were just regular old tech bros who got in the door before it became a buzzword.

Some of them are still pretty chill. I don't recall hearing anything too weird about, like, Romero or Schafer?

I think it might also be that they want to continue making games, but the only people that will fund them these days are the crypto idiots.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zeniel posted:

Garriot's an outlier in this example he's clearly been extremely wealthy for a while, although maybe he blew all his money on pyrotechnics and renfaire futures... dunno.

Didn't he light a bunch of his money on fire trying to turn a McMansion into a fairytale castle?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think it might also be that they want to continue making games, but the only people that will fund them these days are the crypto idiots.

Kickstarter still works fine if they've got a good idea for a game. Problem is, most of them don't.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Skippy McPants posted:

Didn't he light a bunch of his money on fire trying to turn a McMansion into a fairytale castle?

Kickstarter still works fine if they've got a good idea for a game. Problem is, most of them don't.

That's why I said only crypto idiots would fund them.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Didn't he light a bunch of his money on fire trying to turn a McMansion into a fairytale

I mean he did defintiely have an extremely elaborate fairytale vanity mansion that he eventually sold and was definitely going to buy a more elaborate one. I could completely believe, especially given Garriots later track record of failed ventures and lavish stunts, that he is in fact not very good with money. But I dont know enough about his financial situation other than hes real keen to tie his name to a lot of blatant scams these days.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Garriot and Wright were pretty much born into money as I recall. Don't believe Molyneux was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, the story of Garriott's "castles" was wild. (He's had two and a half.) Apparently work on the third stalled out after the dot com crash and eventually he lost interest in it and decided to go to SPACE for the tidy sum of 30 million dollars. He did put James Doohan's ashes into space while being a space tourist, so that was nice.

Older game devs on Twitter make me think about Space Quest's Two Guys From Andromeda who did a KS for the game with the premise - "Hey, that thing we did, we'll do it again" - and I don't think it's still out despite in theory it being something well within their capability to do. If it finally came out, you know, cool I guess.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zeniel posted:

I have a hypothesis about why theres a bunch of old beloved game veterans becoming grifters. I reckon they all mostly didn't make much money as developers back in they day and now they're all approaching retirement with nothing to retire with.

So once they realised that there was an audience of people willing to throw large piles of money at them for any arbitrary idea of theirs, since they're all clearly auteur geniuses in their fans eyes, so they saw it as a means to cash out a huge retirement cheque .

That's why you don't see like Ken and Roberta Williams getting back into the game and pulling this sort of poo poo, they made bank back in the day and retired super early and are now boring yacht people.

Isn't Roberta Williams the King's Quest lady? Because she recently was on GameGrumps for an interview, and so the Grumps could showcase a fan? adventure game she worked on. Seems everyone who worked on video games has a little bit of Garriot in them. :v:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Older game devs on Twitter make me think about Space Quest's Two Guys From Andromeda who did a KS for the game with the premise - "Hey, that thing we did, we'll do it again" - and I don't think it's still out despite in theory it being something well within their capability to do. If it finally came out, you know, cool I guess.
Wasn't Underwold Ascendant an attempt by the Ultima Underworld guys to do that as well?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zeniel posted:

isnt roberta williams working on that colossal cave adventure remake that looks like it came straight out of 2005

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Dawgstar posted:

It is technically out and it's still just as much a mess as the entire development. See, they released the Windows build in September (only to backers), said they were going to have to begin selling the game on storefronts like Steam to make some money to produce the final physical rewards which weren't ordered early, and the bugfixes from getting the 1.0 into hands were going to make it into the other platform versions.

Then they were silent until end of last month where they went "Yeah if you haven't grabbed it yet, don't do that, 1.0 was buggy! No dates on when 1.1 is though" and said that now the Williamses are possibly coming in and making a deal for the team who did that Colossal Cave Adventure title recently to fix this loving thing. But there's still no builds for anyone off-Windows, it's not on sale, and now there's even more question marks.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Dawgstar posted:

They released their first beta last year (10 years after the kickstarter) and theres some youtube videos on it but it's still not released, according to their latest update on the kickstarter page they recently teamed up with Ken Williams to get some more funding for the game to allow developers to actually work full-time on the project. So maybe we'll get a full release during this decade if we're lucky.

Edit: Beaten

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zeniel posted:

Garriot was selling digital land plots in pretend land to rubes when the Zuck was still in middle school, lol.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53zD6i5zGc8
Sandwich

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Zeniel posted:

both richard garriot and chris roberts are independelty wealthy they just dont understand how modern games are made and try to force their stupid vision into reality because they think new technology = better game when the demands of modern game development are much more demanding than they were in the 80's and 90's so you actually end up doing less than what you could make back then

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 18, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
when richard garriot was crowdfunding for shroud of the avatar one of the kickstarter rewards was a vial of his own blood

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

both richard garriot and chris roberts are independelty wealthy they just dont understand how modern games are made and try to force their stupid vision into reality because they think new technology = better game when the demands of modern game development are much more demanding than they were in the 80's and 89's so you actually end up doing less than what you could make back then

those 89s were a wild time

(you're right though)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

when richard garriot was crowdfunding for shroud of the avatar one of the kickstarter rewards was a vial of his own blood

Funding the most dogshit clone of an mmo you've ever seen just to do dark magicks where I curse Richard garriot to actually be british

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Libluini posted:

Isn't Roberta Williams the King's Quest lady? Because she recently was on GameGrumps for an interview, and so the Grumps could showcase a fan? adventure game she worked on. Seems everyone who worked on video games has a little bit of Garriot in them. :v:

Ah okay, I remember looking into to what she and Ken had been doing a while back and basically just running a blog about them owning a yacht it was clearly aimed at yacht enthusiasts. It seemed like they'd retired in their 40s or so and talked about their time in the industry in a "yeah used to make software in the 80's" kind of way.

Im still somewhat cynically convinced its a last ditch attempt to make bank and retire for a lot of the old game developers.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmT0i0xG6zg

One of Contra’s better videos in a while. Basically a sequel to her JKR video from a few years back.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

this looks VERY challenging

e: like, to eat. not make

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Iuia5560Y

This is a really good video on Attack of the Clones and VFX in general, talking about what techniques were available and what were too expensive/time consuming to use at the time.

The title is meant to acknowledge that people ask that question, the creator knows it's not literally true.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Zeniel posted:

Ah okay, I remember looking into to what she and Ken had been doing a while back and basically just running a blog about them owning a yacht it was clearly aimed at yacht enthusiasts. It seemed like they'd retired in their 40s or so and talked about their time in the industry in a "yeah used to make software in the 80's" kind of way.

Im still somewhat cynically convinced its a last ditch attempt to make bank and retire for a lot of the old game developers.

in chris roberts case its also because he is blacklisted from hollywood but still wants to make movies whhich is why he is trying to make star citizen a movie with a half assed game grafted onto it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zeniel posted:

yeah in one of the interviews about their new game roberta mentions that they had a five-year no-compete clause when they sold sierra so they just kicked back on the yacht it bought and it wasn't until over a decade later they were like "oh right, we could make a game if we wanted to" but because they had already been out for so long the drive to do so had fizzled out.