Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

Hail to the Chief :chiefsay:

Replace all dinky plastic bike lane bollards with these shells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thank u zelenskyy for protecting ukrainianes precious bodily fluids

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Hedenius posted:

Love to have my citizen journalism be funded by the National Endowment for Democracy and very normal organizations like the Auxilium foundation.

my dude has Francis Fukuyama as an advisor to his org

how do you have any self respect at that point? is the money and MIT tail that great?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/GreenSquareAC/status/1647637415752769536

in an unrelated observation anyone figure out why african countries love putin so much??? just cant make any sense of it

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

in an unrelated observation anyone figure out why african countries love putin so much??? just cant make any sense of it

economic issues? oh no no, of course not. concerns about sovereignty and their national security? i doubt it. they see a big strong man, and they want to hug and kiss him.

its both natural and perfectly normal

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/TradersAbacus/status/1647716520447950849

members of the united states government openly assisting nazis??? i am just flabbergasted by this turn of events

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Some Guy TT posted:

members of the united states government openly assisting nazis??? i am just flabbergasted by this turn of events

Why has the WSJ taken it upon themselves to do, whatever the gently caress this is?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/BruckenRuski/status/1647289910192209920

cryptocurrency...bad???

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Why has the WSJ taken it upon themselves to do, whatever the gently caress this is?

It's a little thing called freedom of press, which I understand is not a thing in under the ruthless tyrant King Charles III

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Have you heard of a man called Rupert Murdoch...? :thunk:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Orgetorix/status/1647355938364432386

ehhh do i really need a comment for this one the headlines already pretty lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Edit: Unlike everyone else I'm just going to outright say it. This guy is a spook, or is at least has a handler from one of US letter agencies.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

basically all western journalists are just cia now

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

crepeface posted:

basically all western journalists are just cia now

now?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.skynews.com.au/australi...830f630c7b58a94

Sorry Ukraine. Australia can't send you any more vehicles. Fleet recall for uh (rolls dice, checks chart) faulty brakes. So sorry. All the best mate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

'Taken it upon themselves' is an absolutely bizarre way of saying 'the US government told them to'

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Another reason for Poland to reclaim its territories in western Ukraine.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

didn't you just recently start this hobby? man how the gently caress have you painted so much, it would take me 10 years to do all of that

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

What the gently caress is doxxing some random twitter poster supposed to do lol

Like even if some psycho threatens her or she just stops posting that does literally nothing. Why would you waste these resources

e: also yeah al-saqr your warhammer stuff is sick as hell

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

CODChimera posted:

didn't you just recently start this hobby? man how the gently caress have you painted so much, it would take me 10 years to do all of that

its called being epic :dukedoge:

i love warhammer and I love art. i also love being 100% right about global events and politics and preditictions. simple as.

lol but seriously thanks man i really appreciate the compliment, the real answer is that painting minis is a fun relaxing thing i like to do to not stare at any screens and while listening to music and podcasts, once you develop a process and know what your pallete and design is its fairly straighforward. you take it little by little a few pieces as a time and youd be surprised how much you can paint in a few months. also having a good understanding of color theory and value structure and an eye for design helps as well.

also i dont have a girlfriend and likely never will

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Apr 17, 2023

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Respect.

Surely her identity getting out is not an attempt to discredit or dare I say intimate her?

absolutely not, all those nafo shitlords gleefully posting photos of her daughter online did it for purely informational purposes

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh, that reminds me. i listened to an episode donbass devushka did with this german historian that explain the origins of ukraine's nazis on breakthrough news last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C7DE2KFJHs

the podcast that came out last month:

https://rss.com/podcasts/donbassdevushka/872111/

quote:

Donbass Devushka and JM sit down with Professor Tarik Cyril Amar to discuss his book The Paradox of Ukrainian Lviv: A Borderland City between Stalinists, Nazis, and Nationalists, different visions and images of Lviv/Lwow/Lemberg/Lvov, what the effect of each was on the city, and what learning about how Lemberg became Lviv can tell us about the Soviet experience, and the making of Lviv through the unmaking of its other identities.

tarik is fairly anti-russian, so it's interesting how even he recognizes the propaganda bias about several historical events/massacres/etc in the area

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

crepeface posted:

oh, that reminds me. i listened to an episode donbass devushka did with this german historian that explain the origins of ukraine's nazis on breakthrough news last year:

tarik is fairly anti-russian, so it's interesting how even he recognizes the propaganda bias about several historical events/massacres/etc in the area

do you have any videos on this topic with pictures and not just talking heads

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

this thing is blowin my mind

I'm loving all these super APCs or whatever; it kinda makes sense when you are facing hoards of infantry with NLAW rockets

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

I remember Tarik's book being recommended as a good primer on the history even before the war, so I think this should be good.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Seatbelts posted:

I'm loving all these super APCs or whatever; it kinda makes sense when you are facing hoards of infantry with NLAW rockets

Pretty certain they're used on Palestinian civilians, OP.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

is it really surprising when prestige journalism outlets today are staffed by a generation of teacher's pets and tattletales?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

is it really surprising when prestige journalism outlets today are staffed by a generation of teacher's pets and tattletales?

It's funny that this is literally what this is. The halls of power are increasingly filled with people who have had their brained warped to be a certain sort of striver (the sort joepinetree has posted about on multiple occasions).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Tarik Nasheed: The Buckbreaking of Ukraine

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

journos are really going to go after random telegrammers that only like .0005% of people have even heard about? lol

if these guys want to be fbi so badly, why didn't they just join that instead

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seatbelts posted:

An rpg would absolutely slaughter that idiotic thing

The design only makes sense if you plan on driving through suburbs filled with mostly unarmed people who hate you and the biggest threat is molotovs and AK's

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

It's funny that this is literally what this is. The halls of power are increasingly filled with people who have had their brained warped to be a certain sort of striver (the sort joepinetree has posted about on multiple occasions).

Look at the kind of politics that we're supposed to venerate - exemplified by people like Obama, who typified the managerial, bureaucratic, decorum based candidate that the logic of neoliberalism dictates. From a class perspective, modern journalists are all uniformly liberal because they come from Ivy League schools; they share no class consciousness and will always relate more to the owner of the newspaper they work for than the warehouse worker that prints the paper.

They all desperately want to be part of the club in Washington because they share the same background as everyone in there. Of course they are the FBI and CIAs dream, they will do whatever the security state asks them to, because they believe that it will get them brownie points in Washington. There is no more adversarial journalism at the level of NYT or WAPO, they should be read the same way anyone reads any state backed media - which is to get a sense of what the US government wants to get out there.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/Orgetorix/status/1647355938364432386

ehhh do i really need a comment for this one the headlines already pretty lol

that’s what I call a gamer moment

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1647643653513379841

in other news, more howitzers are sent to Ukraine

OctaMurk has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Apr 17, 2023

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lord of Pie posted:

Saakashvili went to Ukraine so it's only fair that Zelensky goes to Georgia

Gaunt and ghostly, Georgia’s jailed ex-president nears death in hospital

not for long, also choice quote There were many systemic human rights violations during Saakashvili’s rule, but in a rule-of-law state you need to bring proper charges, not do it like this,” said Tsimakuridze.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dk2m posted:

Look at the kind of politics that we're supposed to venerate - exemplified by people like Obama, who typified the managerial, bureaucratic, decorum based candidate that the logic of neoliberalism dictates. From a class perspective, modern journalists are all uniformly liberal because they come from Ivy League schools; they share no class consciousness and will always relate more to the owner of the newspaper they work for than the warehouse worker that prints the paper.

They all desperately want to be part of the club in Washington because they share the same background as everyone in there. Of course they are the FBI and CIAs dream, they will do whatever the security state asks them to, because they believe that it will get them brownie points in Washington. There is no more adversarial journalism at the level of NYT or WAPO, they should be read the same way anyone reads any state backed media - which is to get a sense of what the US government wants to get out there.

The people who defend these news orgs basically have a limited understanding of "state media" where they assume that the media employees are just being forced to say things by the government, when in reality US journalists just have immense and obvious incentive to maintain a friendly relationship with the government. It doesn't matter if the government is literally commanding you to do things when your organization directly benefits from being friendly with the government.

If anything, stuff that is explicitly state media like RT is more honest because it's up-front about its political alignment.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The people who defend these news orgs basically have a limited understanding of "state media" where they assume that the media employees are just being forced to say things by the government

its extremely funny that they cant contemplate the notion of a media organization just hiring people who already agree with their bottom line china has to like have a gun to the heads of hard working journalists because otherwise literally anyone could enforce literally any ideological bent at literally any media organization by using the same genius strategy

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Why are media organisations government stoooges? Simple. They would have gone bankrupt without government cash injections long, long ago. Their business model doesn't make money on its own 2 feet.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Seatbelts posted:

the opposite actually. it is meant to protect against fists, rocks, small arms, the occasional ied. why do you think it has a tall stupid looking turret in the middle with windows and firing ports all over?

also why do almost all of your posts have a semi-colon in them? has this whole thing been a gimmick?

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

The people who defend these news orgs basically have a limited understanding of "state media" where they assume that the media employees are just being forced to say things by the government, when in reality US journalists just have immense and obvious incentive to maintain a friendly relationship with the government. It doesn't matter if the government is literally commanding you to do things when your organization directly benefits from being friendly with the government.

If anything, stuff that is explicitly state media like RT is more honest because it's up-front about its political alignment.

I totally agree. NYT isn't going to be literally false. In fact, a lot of its reporting is factual - but it's factual in the sense that it's only once side of the story. A publicly traded company like NYT will have responsibilities to its board and shareholders first, who will ensure a friendly and oftentimes, helpful attitude towards the government.

The ideas surrounding the 4th estate are largely diffused in an era where capital and government go hand in hand. You cannot be a dissident paper and a corporate player at the same time - without capital, goodbye to those Pulitzer Prizes.

In the case of the Ukraine war, it's not really surprising that all of the Bush era neocons have become Democrats and/or liberals and are the same ones pushing the state narrative. I personally understand the logic behind it - but if you're trying to get an accurate picture of the world, and only rely on this? Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Slavvy posted:

'Taken it upon themselves' is an absolutely bizarre way of saying 'the US government told them to'

My impression is that there's probably very little of anyone being told to do anything, rather large swaths of the media have shown themselves to be willing, even enthusiastic, foot soldiers on the side of the West in what they see as a conflict between good and evil, liberal democracy vs. despotism.