Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

If the cosmology is contained outside the game you are running, you can safely ignore it totally. As a Vampire, how could I possibly care about what Werewolves think about a Mage concept. Even Mage about how your worldview is correct and everyone else is just deeply ignorant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

If the CofD setting is now defunct and just an idea mine for Paradox WoD games, does this mean we might get a Promethean 5 or a Deviant 5?

That could rule. Just retcon that both splats have always existed in the oWoD in some capacity.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just add Chevalier Theleme and Count loving Dracula to V5, unironically. Hell, add the Mekhet too, they're my favourite clan.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just add Chevalier Theleme and Count loving Dracula to V5, unironically. Hell, add the Mekhet too, they're my favourite clan.

Dracula is already in V5, the opening fiction letter of the Core Book is written by Mina Harker, who is one of his childer. He's also mentioned again in the Sabbat and SI books. WoD always took the stance that Dracula was indeed Vlad Tepes III, was embraced by a Tzimisce and was a powerful koldunic sorcerer, and he pulled a Lestat with Bram Stoker and told the guy all about vampires, but with a bunch of red herring bullshit in there like being able to walk around during the day.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Fuzz posted:

Dracula is already in V5, the opening fiction letter of the Core Book is written by Mina Harker, who is one of his childer. He's also mentioned again in the Sabbat and SI books. WoD always took the stance that Dracula was indeed Vlad Tepes III, was embraced by a Tzimisce and was a powerful koldunic sorcerer, and he pulled a Lestat with Bram Stoker and told the guy all about vampires, but with a bunch of red herring bullshit in there like being able to walk around during the day.

Choc isn't talking about Dracula, he's talking about Count loving Dracula, from the Daeva clan book.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Gatto Grigio posted:

If the CofD setting is now defunct and just an idea mine for Paradox WoD games, does this mean we might get a Promethean 5 or a Deviant 5?

That could rule. Just retcon that both splats have always existed in the oWoD in some capacity.

They should just combine Geist and Risen and then make the Hecata deal with it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GimpInBlack posted:

Choc isn't talking about Dracula, he's talking about Count loving Dracula, from the Daeva clan book.

The Count appreciates specificity being the soul of good communication.

You can even get his Night Horrors thing for free! https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/65829/Night-Horrors-Count-F-Dracula

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Campaign with multiple different vampires claiming to be Dracula. Probably have one who lives in a giant castle and has a long running feud with a family of BDSM enthusiasts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Masquerade Count loving Dracula would be a Tzimisce as OG Drac's Grandchilde.

Which reminds me, are the Inconnu still a thing in V5? OG Drac was a particularly active member in the modern nights.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna have Count loving Dracula roll through my game next chapter to stir things up for the players, it'll rule.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

Masquerade Count loving Dracula would be a Tzimisce as OG Drac's Grandchilde.

Which reminds me, are the Inconnu still a thing in V5? OG Drac was a particularly active member in the modern nights.

They haven't been mentioned yet, like a lot of the weird, esoteric stuff that gets dragged around the setting. So based on current policy, they'd be something of conjecture, myth, and misdirection rather than anything confirmed 'canon'.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Masquerade Dracula didn't start the Ordo Dracul, so who cares what he's up to?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ferrinus posted:

Masquerade Dracula didn't start the Ordo Dracul, so who cares what he's up to?

The answer as to what Dracula did in the cWoD was always... not much.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like Count loving Dracula would suffer from existing in a world where it's possible to confirm that he's bullshitting about being Dracula.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

The answer as to what Dracula did in the cWoD was always... not much.

Hey give him some credit, he wrote the Masquerade corebook :v:

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Having the Ordo Dracul in Masquerade as an obscure vampire cult could be cool. Splinter group of Tzimisce followers formed by Vlad Dracula after his disillusionment with the Sabbat mainstream. Believe that redefining what it means to be a Cainite requires more than just fleshcrafting horror movie monsters, and that the only way to truly defy the Antediluvians is to shake of the weaknesses of the curse while retaining the benefits.

Seeing the Strix in Masquerade could be neat too. One idea I had was that they may be the vengeful spirits of a race of Owl-shifters. After their near-extermination by the Garou in the War of Rage, the last remaining wereowls allied with the Brujah of ancient Carthage, only to be slain in the last Punic War - their vengeful spirits, feeling betrayed (since vampires were on both sides of the conflict), became the Strix

(They fuckin hate werewolves too. A Strix might be one of the few things that would convince Kindred to ally with Lupines)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Count loving Dracula would suffer from existing in a world where it's possible to confirm that he's bullshitting about being Dracula.
Perhaps Dracula is more of a title, a state of being. A sort of alternate, rad Golconda.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

Perhaps Dracula is more of a title, a state of being. A sort of alternate, rad Golconda.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Gatto Grigio posted:

Seeing the Strix in Masquerade could be neat too. One idea I had was that they may be the vengeful spirits of a race of Owl-shifters. After their near-extermination by the Garou in the War of Rage, the last remaining wereowls allied with the Brujah of ancient Carthage, only to be slain in the last Punic War - their vengeful spirits, feeling betrayed (since vampires were on both sides of the conflict), became the Strix

(They fuckin hate werewolves too. A Strix might be one of the few things that would convince Kindred to ally with Lupines)

Or they're just Strix and you don't need to change anything because the Strix were cool and weird.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Fuzz posted:

Or they're just Strix and you don't need to change anything because the Strix were cool and weird.

Yeah, that works too. My origin isn’t intended to be canonical or anything. It’s better to present multiple origins and let players determine whether all or none are true.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

He never claimed to be Vlad, it's an hereditary loving title isn't it?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gatto Grigio posted:

Yeah, that works too. My origin isn’t intended to be canonical or anything. It’s better to present multiple origins and let players determine whether all or none are true.

I feel that way, except also for the God Machine.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Apocalypse 5e is up for pre-order with an August 31 release Dat

https://renegadegamestudios.com/werewolf-the-apocalypse-5th-edition-core-rulebook/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The ad copy certainly makes it sound like a traditional edition of Apocalypse. "Gaia is dying/New generation of Garou/When you Rage" etc.

Eleven tribes and we know we've lost the Get of Fenris (which I'm honestly mixed on) so the second is... Stargazers? Their thing was mostly just being "the Asian ones."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Dawgstar posted:

The ad copy certainly makes it sound like a traditional edition of Apocalypse. "Gaia is dying/New generation of Garou/When you Rage" etc.

Eleven tribes and we know we've lost the Get of Fenris (which I'm honestly mixed on) so the second is... Stargazers? Their thing was mostly just being "the Asian ones."

It’s been implied that the Stargazers walked away from the Nation at some point to try to find another option but that’s pretty much all we know. Since this is explicitly a reboot we don’t know of they left recently or centuries ago.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I feel like an idiot, but I had no idea Renegade was selling Hunter the Reckoning 5e as an actual physical book until I visited their website just now. I thought all that was out there was that ridiculous $40 pdf on DriveThruRPG. Just bought the whole book from an online store for $42 so that's good.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I feel like an idiot, but I had no idea Renegade was selling Hunter the Reckoning 5e as an actual physical book until I visited their website just now. I thought all that was out there was that ridiculous $40 pdf on DriveThruRPG. Just bought the whole book from an online store for $42 so that's good.

$40 is cheap for a PDF. Too cheap, in fact.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

$40 is cheap for a PDF. Too cheap, in fact.

Holy crap, I know people complaining about the HtR5e price summons you to this thread, but that was less than a minute and a half man. Do you have some kind of ping when someone posts Hunter the Reckoning anywhere on this forum?

EDIT: I will happily pay upwards of $50 for a nice physical book. I will never drop anywhere close to what they are charging for that pdf and I'm reasonably sure that's a stance most gamers would take.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Holy crap, I know people complaining about the HtR5e price summons you to this thread, but that was less than a minute and a half man. Do you have some kind of ping when someone posts Hunter the Reckoning anywhere on this forum?

I am immediately summoned whenever somebody complains that PDF prices in an industry where basically nobody is making any money are "too high."

I am trying to figure out how to monetize this but the transportation and communications industries won't answer my calls.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

The Stargazers were kind of wearing the "awarewolf" hat and doing super garou karate. I think subsequent editions of the material placed Shadow Lord and Glass Walker populations in China/Japan/Korea. If we're going to look at wolf populations, there's a shitload of wolves in Mongolia, so if anything they should come up with a new Mongolian themed tribe and retcon them in.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I am immediately summoned whenever somebody complains that PDF prices in an industry where basically nobody is making any money are "too high."

I am trying to figure out how to monetize this but the transportation and communications industries won't answer my calls.

This is why I always try to grab books that come with a PDF. If I'm going to drop $50 on it I'd rather have a physical and digital copy if possible.

Also RPG writers should be paid more. Everyone but executives should be paid more tbh.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Dawgstar posted:

Everything will be identical apart from the removal of a bunch of metaplot characters with 9-dot statblocks and a mechanic where Rage fucks with your dice pool. In other words, a full reboot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nessus posted:

The Stargazers were kind of wearing the "awarewolf" hat and doing super garou karate. I think subsequent editions of the material placed Shadow Lord and Glass Walker populations in China/Japan/Korea. If we're going to look at wolf populations, there's a shitload of wolves in Mongolia, so if anything they should come up with a new Mongolian themed tribe and retcon them in.

That was the Stargazers when they were really pissed off, at least in the old lore.

Edit: The Revised STargazer book was really good at giving them, like, an actual history and philosophy.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 17, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

They mentioned the Siberakh (a weird Silver Fang/Wendigo offshoot in Siberia) were more of a thing in that comic miniseries that came out a while back that Paradox used to point at as representative of how things will look but that was a long time ago.

Was Kailindo in the 20th anniversary edition of Woof? I don't blame them if not because that became the Do (heh) of Garou characters, where they dumped some dots of it on an NPC to show they were a badass, but I don't think it was ever as bad as it was for Mage.

joylessdivision posted:

Also RPG writers should be paid more. Everyone but executives should be paid more tbh.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dawgstar posted:

Was Kailindo in the 20th anniversary edition of Woof? I don't blame them if not because that became the Do (heh) of Garou characters, where they dumped some dots of it on an NPC to show they were a badass, but I don't think it was ever as bad as it was for Mage.

It's mentioned in the Stargazer tribe description:

WW 20th Anniversary Edition PP 100-101 posted:

Their martial art, Kailindo, is derived from study of the winds and their spirits. A skilled kailindorani is allegedly able to shift forms more quickly than any other Garou, dropping to a smaller form to avoid a blow or swelling to a larger form to add weight to a takedown.

However, mechanically, it's presented as a specialization of the Brawl ability, and not actually given any specific mechanics or rules. The only other place in the rulebook it's mentioned otherwise is in the appendix, in one of the tribal camps of the Stargazers.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You're barely rational in Crinos form now, so I'm pretty sure you're not gonna be practicing your kung fur and doing backflips.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fuzz posted:

You're barely rational in Crinos form now, so I'm pretty sure you're not gonna be practicing your kung fur and doing backflips.
That's why it was special that they could make their Kung Furry work so well, I thought, while other people in Crinos were always gonna be mad as hell outside of unusual circumstances like Child of Gaia environments dense in love vibes and dopesmoke.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
My usual TTRPG group has been looking for something different. This is a group that's only familiar with D&D and Pathfinder so I floated VTM as a possibility and now they are very interested. This of course leads me to the problem, as the only one of us that's ever played VTM (and nearly *mumbles* years ago), it falls to me to run it. So I did what any other lazy human does in 2023. I turned to ChatGPT to find a list of supplements that might be amenable to pick up and run to gauge interest in the system from this group beyond watching Actual Plays.

I ran across one that seemed wrong cause I've been following V5 materials for the last couple of years and never heard of it.

I was surprised that somehow I missed that there was a Fall of New York book that was set to come out in August 2022. Especially since my player group is from around the New York Metro area and I planned on setting something in a place familiar to them. I tried to Google around and look for this book with no results so I asked ChatGPT to elaborate in hopes I could pin something down. Even if it was just a release rumor.

It even gave me an ISBN! Sure the ISBN doesn't match anything but it was worth a try, right?

Anyone have any insight on this one? I'm ready to chalk it up ChatGPT nonsense and move on but I'd really love for it to exist.

Also, I'd appreciate any direction to some good resources for some short VTM chronicle stuff that might be good for new players, particular V5, ideally where they can learn the system by diving in instead of giving them books to read as homework.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The computer fed you lies choom, it's just jumped-up autocorrect. If you told it that it was actually the Fall of Chicago it would probably agree with you and produce a similar result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
ChatGPT "hallucinates" information frequently. The whole point of the thing is to sound as reasonable as possible in it's responses, so when it doesn't have an answer it just makes one up in the most convincing way possible. My wife and I got it to describe a series of completely non-existent papers that we had written in our scientific field, and when we challenged it then it admitted they were fake and then told us it actually meant to refer to [another completely non-existent journal article].