Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Pro life tip: Do not under any circumstances do Evolve's Steelen challenge with centaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Manyorcas posted:

Someone brought up Magic Research a few months back when there was only a demo available for PC, but now that I've played the full game for a few weeks I wanted to give it a publicity bump. It's pretty good, and the demo gives you a good idea of what to expect for the full game.

It's a solid game all around. Well worth picking up.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Does anyone know what do different elements (Air, Fire, Earth, Water) do in Magic Research?

The help isn't very helpful about this.

E: VVVV: Thanks

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 10, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Banemaster posted:

Does anyone know what do different elements (Air, Fire, Earth, Water) do in Magic Research?

The help isn't very helpful about this.

a bunch of stuff: specializing in one gives you a discount on spells of that type, it decides which evocation spells you get, and which wand you can unlock with a speck

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 10, 2023

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
There's also unlocked elements which do things like Nature giving you access to the Conjure Wood line of spells. Definitely a fun game! I like the bits of story and the pace/quality of the unlocks is fairly good and interesting. And strategizing for the boss fights is fun.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

DemonMage posted:

And strategizing for the boss fights is fun.
I'm not a fan of how long some of them are though.

Prepping for several minutes then spending 5-10 minutes staring at a health bar and dying at the finish line because they cast a new spell or I made a dumb mistake...

Maybe I should have done a few more retirements first, but it doesn't seem like you get a big boost from doing it too often. More mana-per-second to use in combat perhaps, but until you have enough for continual blastin' that won't make the battles go any faster.

at least I got them dragons done... Divination is cool, a whole second mid-game manual

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Am I understanding Magic Research correctly in that it's generally a good idea to cycle between available primary schools?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Correct. The game saves the highest level you get in a given School when you Retire. That gives you both a Research and Resource multiplier. So you'll find it easier to hit higher Research levels by Retiring when it slows down. Plus you need to Retire to activate a lot of the unlocked permanent bonuses (I like this as a way to encourage people to Retire without having to math it out too hard). I tend to pick whatever has the lowest Max Primary Level when I start a new run unless I have a specific task in mind as your primary school is cheaper to Research too (which is why I think [after-Lab spoiler] Breeding is probably the best school to go for getting those extra material drops. But it requires pretty high levels for the end game areas to be farmable ).

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 12, 2023

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

DemonMage posted:

[mid/late game spoiler] Breeding is probably the best school to go for getting those extra material drops. But it requires pretty high levels for the end game areas to be farmable ).

How will I know I'm in the mid to late game?

I'm able to clear all the way to the top of the thunder tower if I do extreme micro, but I can't get past the boss...

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If you've beaten Lab then the spoiler should be safe.
Edited for clarity. I'm at 57% storylines completed right now.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Is there a wiki or something for Magic Research that lists the requirements to activate different storylines? There are a couple I saw on my first run that haven't triggered on my second, which is kind of annoying when I swapped schools specifically so I could hit the rank requirement this time.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Tricky posted:

Is there a wiki or something for Magic Research that lists the requirements to activate different storylines? There are a couple I saw on my first run that haven't triggered on my second, which is kind of annoying when I swapped schools specifically so I could hit the rank requirement this time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TOOZhLiY7W8E90pSHLRiH1npZ2DsQFAGdgi3ADWZq-U/edit#gid=704071585

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Tricky posted:

Not that I'm aware of, but once you enter the fifth dungeon, You unlock the divination school, which has a spell that gives you clues on how to start storylines.

There's one in particular in the basement that's fairly rare (the library one), which stinks because it has good rewards and you have to complete it 4 times to get all of them. Note that random events are what trigger many storylines to start, and they occur less often the longer a run goes on so don't feel obligated to stay in an old dungeon just to pop a storyline. (more dungeon 5) Divination helps this with a spell that tells you how long until the next random event, allowing you to switch back if you catch the event timer getting close to the end. There's also a divination spell to increase the odds of rarer events, I got the library to pop the first event I had that luck buff running.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Tricky posted:

Is there a wiki or something for Magic Research that lists the requirements to activate different storylines?
just wanted to reiterate that this information *is* provided in game eventually, albeit just a trickle at a time

in case you wanna retain a little surprise (i personally am enjoying the surprise)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Ah, thanks, that helps a lot. Definitely need to spend more time exploring B2/B3 next run, the library bonuses sound great. Made it through the forest this time, though, so I figure once I hit the next MPL and maybe fish for one more random event I'll be good to retire and start shooting for the stuff that unlocked after that.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
Is there anything that stops Conjure Building from activating electicity-powered buildings when they're created? Without that the "set it and forget it" method of allowing apprentices to create all the buildings trips itself up a bit.

fake edit: oops answering my own question. conjure away you lunatics

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
in USI, are there Tier V (orange) shards for Warp, Synth and Base? I'm at Stage 46 and don't appear to be able to progress any further but I still have the Tier IV shards for these.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

slothrop posted:

in USI, are there Tier V (orange) shards for Warp, Synth and Base? I'm at Stage 46 and don't appear to be able to progress any further but I still have the Tier IV shards for these.

Everything but Base has a Tier V by the end of current content (Stage 49).

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Toshimo posted:

Everything but Base has a Tier V by the end of current content (Stage 49).

ok thanks, good to know I need to keep pushing past 46

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
for the first dumb/goofy skill i went with Car Violence. Got the first bit of visual stuff working a bit ago so here, look:

https://i.imgur.com/9Gir9CD.mp4

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That is some loving Street Fighter poo poo and I love it. :allears:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Now we're cookin'

https://i.imgur.com/7MLs8pF.mp4

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am eagerly awaiting this next game whenever it may release. Last week I started playing through NGU Industry again just for the hell of it.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

OH! MY CAR! :cry:

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
There's not enough games about smashing up cars. This has the car hate seal of approval.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I am gonna gently caress that car up for days

weeks, even, depending on the softcaps, I'm sure

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I am gonna gently caress that car up for days

weeks, even, depending on the softcaps, I'm sure

You are going to see that every day for over a year don't lie

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

This looks rad so far. Also please shamelessly steal all of the neat QoL ideas from USI.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

pixaal posted:

You are going to see that every day for over a year don't lie

Non-zero chance that I'll be seeing that car for so long I start looking for cosmetic mods

let me throw a buck to you so I can beat up a Mini Cooper or a Trans Am or some poo poo, OP

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
have a support tier to let us put our personal vehicles in

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

musluk is really outdoing himself and I'm so glad y'all working together

PizzaFiend
Jun 20, 2008

I think we're on to something, Zach!

Garfu posted:

https://garfu.dev/Domain.dll

Formations: 1 hour duration, 2 second cooldown
Party size: 50. Passive party display cuts off around 10 but they are still active, will need to remove party members to sort the list better
Shop item duration: a lot longer
DR time: 1 minute instead of 1 hour
DR multiplier: 10x
Norn miss-click protector: No longer need Norn to cast 10 spells to leave village if leaving with Norn
Sin cap increase: not sure exact amount but it's not much cause that kinda breaks stuff
Pay $1 for a billion rubies

Replace the dll in YourChronicle_Data\Managed - back up the original first if you need to switch back without having to redownload

Unfortunately it looks like a recent update to the game stops this from working again. I'm unable to click past the title screen after replacing the file.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
If I'm doing Evolve 4* challenges outside of Antimatter there's no reason not to spend down my plasmids right due to the No Starting Plasmids conduct right? There's no CRISPR upgrade or in-run upgrade that toggles banked plasmids on?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

RoboCicero posted:

If I'm doing Evolve 4* challenges outside of Antimatter there's no reason not to spend down my plasmids right due to the No Starting Plasmids conduct right? There's no CRISPR upgrade or in-run upgrade that toggles banked plasmids on?

Nope. I'd still keep a decent chunk around for doing quick setup runs but otherwise for the run itself it's useless.

You do eventually get to the point where the only thing to spend plasmids on is trait modifying so it'll stockpile into the (hundreds of) thousands.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Anyone playing Spice Idle? Fairly basic and derivative Antimatter-style thing but I'm enjoying it, automatic annoying tasks comes pretty quickly (after the very first run anyway) and it seems to have a decent amount of play time in it right now.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Anyone playing Spice Idle? Fairly basic and derivative Antimatter-style thing but I'm enjoying it, automatic annoying tasks comes pretty quickly (after the very first run anyway) and it seems to have a decent amount of play time in it right now.

linky

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Sorry, I'm dumb today after work and school. https://zakuro98.github.io/Spice-Idle/

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sorry, I'm dumb today after work and school. https://zakuro98.github.io/Spice-Idle/

:cheers:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This Crystallized Spice phase is very long and while it's not particularly manually intensive it requires constant attention to progress at anything resembling a decent pace. Kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Don't be an idiot like me and not scroll down to see the red spice strengtheners. :doh: