Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I dont suppose there is a list of free/storyline blueprints somewhere?
I know there are a bunch you get for free and would hate to spend nanites on poo poo you will get eventually anyway.
Like the underwater ones.

Hmm, I found this though its a few years old.
I think i've already bought a few of the items though, like that cadmium drive.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/i92san/a_quick_guide_to_blueprint_rewards_for_those_who/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lord help me I cannot stop collecting these things.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

5er posted:

No flippance here but if you aren't opposed to using guides on how to ramp up your cash & nanites, there's a lot of 'git rich quick' plans out there that should be less agonizing to a person's nerves than the time it takes to gamble on popping an S-class ship. Plus, once you're rich, you're rich! Having a shitload of capital makes it easier to just make a shitload MORE capital when you need it that I can tell in NMS.

I completely respect a 'I've seen the guides and that's no way I want to play,' kind of response too. There's hardly a wrong way to do NMS if you are certain you're having fun the entire time.

Yeah some of the guides feel a bit like work in the wrong way, and I don't really mind hunting for ships. Means I'm exploring, and isn't that what it's all about.

Right now I'm making bank salvaging ships and scooping up all the trading goods in every system I enter. It's respectable money.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

They can but honestly past a certain point they really do absorb more damage from you than they output, especially if you're using ship shotguns

Ah that'd be it, I just use a fully upgraded blaster , sometimes a rocket launcher.

5er posted:

Holy gently caress you're either the luckiest person I know, or the most patient. I've got all S-class pilots, but only one of em has an exotic. The rest of them are in jalopy looking tubs, which I feel is the perfect insult to all the elite-tier pirates they murder.

Two are S-class, one is A class and I got their locations from the NMS coordinate exchange on Reddit :ssh:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i've been to about six dissonant systems but haven't found any really cool sentinel ships yet. I want one with big wings and a nice colour scheme and all i have is a small yellow TIE interceptor.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

and I got their locations from the NMS coordinate exchange on Reddit :ssh:

Oh is that sub ok now, there was some stupid reddit mod drama last time i looked there. But yes i will probably end up doing the same when i inevitably give up finding one for myself.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

marktheando posted:

i've been to about six dissonant systems but haven't found any really cool sentinel ships yet. I want one with big wings and a nice colour scheme and all i have is a small yellow TIE interceptor.

Oh is that sub ok now, there was some stupid reddit mod drama last time i looked there. But yes i will probably end up doing the same when i inevitably give up finding one for myself.

The great thing about that subreddit is that you never need to read the comments past the OP. The rules are strict on postings.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

lmao. these ships have quite the verity.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

I dunno, I just do a google search for the kind of ship I want + "No Man's Sky Coordinate Exchange"

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

marktheando posted:

I keep finding ones that just look like Elite ships. Basic wedges and whatnot. At least they sell for a decent amount!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

This update has made me into a pirate again, I'm warping in and attacking freighters, then examining the sentinel fighters that show up in photo mode to see if i like them. Seems like the fastest way. Did have one problem when I blew up a sentinel mothership in a dissonant system, and it pointed me to a wreck in a neighbouring dissonant system.

40Inch posted:

I keep finding ones that just look like Elite ships. Basic wedges and whatnot. At least they sell for a decent amount!

Yeah those and the TIE type are all i've seen so far.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I found one that's pretty sick and has 2x2 supercharged slots if you upgrade it from B to S, the only caveat is you'll need to go to odyalutai to get it lol

(also if you do get it double check your coordinates+layout, there's an unrelated B class that's nearby enough to be confusing if you're eyeballing the last 100u)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 12, 2023

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

did scanning payouts get nerfed at some point? I swear I used to get like 300k minimum for an animal scan but now I'm lucky to get half that.

edit: nevermind, just actually looked closely at my S class scanner upgrades and only one of them actually had a fauna scan bonus. Whoops!

Schwawa fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 13, 2023

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Schwawa posted:

did scanning payouts get nerfed at some point? I swear I used to get like 300k minimum for an animal scan but now I'm lucky to get half that.

edit: nevermind, just actually looked closely at my S class scanner upgrades and only one of them actually had a fauna scan bonus. Whoops!

After not playing for a bit and coming back at some point last year, just about all my procedural upgrades for exosuit, ship and multi-tool were just removed and sitting in my inventory, and I didn't notice until I did some scans and saw I wasn't making money like I used to.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

5er posted:

After not playing for a bit and coming back at some point last year, just about all my procedural upgrades for exosuit, ship and multi-tool were just removed and sitting in my inventory, and I didn't notice until I did some scans and saw I wasn't making money like I used to.

That's a symptom of the consolidation of storage across all equipment from a few updates back; they removed the additional cargo inventory and the ability to install tech outside of the tech inventory, which means anything that you previously had installed outside of your tech inventory got neatly packaged up for you.

edit: though now that I think about it, that shouldn't have affected multitools at all, so not sure what's up with that.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Learned the hard way that Sentinel ships dont use regular fuel.
Dont get stranded in the desert folks.

Luckily what it does use goes a long way.
Which is probably why I hadnt noticed until now.
Like 6% a launch.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Have they upped the amount of ships you can own since the solar sail ships released?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

ZombieCrew posted:

Have they upped the amount of ships you can own since the solar sail ships released?

Seems like 12 now.
Though I cant figure out how to have them sit in your freighter.
I thought you could do that before.

e: I decided to restart since my last save is quite old.
I forgot what a slog it was getting through the story.
And then the whole 'now jump 16 more times to unlock runes' thing.

Have encountered a few bugs on this play, one where I could only spawn the geobay spawner, no refiner or save point until I restarted.
And another trying to buy a frigate, I got no menu, just the guy waving his arms like hes talking.
Couldnt even escape, had to alt+f4.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 14, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

Seems like 12 now.
Though I cant figure out how to have them sit in your freighter.
I thought you could do that before.

e: I decided to restart since my last save is quite old.
I forgot what a slog it was getting through the story.
And then the whole 'now jump 16 more times to unlock runes' thing.

Have encountered a few bugs on this play, one where I could only spawn the geobay spawner, no refiner or save point until I restarted.
And another trying to buy a frigate, I got no menu, just the guy waving his arms like hes talking.
Couldnt even escape, had to alt+f4.

You just select the ship you want from your menu and summon it, then it magically shows up on one of your freighter pads.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

*Top Gun theme intensifies*

"Sir, are you alright? Sir???"

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Yeah, it likes to leave a couple open spaces in your hangar bay for visiting ships, so if you have more than, I think, 7 ships it'll just only spawn up to 7. Or sometimes less, it seems kind of random. But you can switch out your active ship for another just like you can on the anomaly.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Decently sized hotfix today, you can now install teleport receivers on sentinel interceptors so that's nice.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

How do I make space fights not feel like rear end?

Granted it’s me vs like 5 sentinels on this quest.

Also how the hell do you escape sentinels? I feel like if you take off in your ship you’re just forced into space combat, but if you stay on the ground goddamn at-sts show up.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Saxophone posted:

Granted it’s me vs like 5 sentinels on this quest.

Also how the hell do you escape sentinels? I feel like if you take off in your ship you’re just forced into space combat, but if you stay on the ground goddamn at-sts show up.

Hold S or whatever your console button is to track your current target. Its like autoaim. Also, if you are in space, once you defeat the current enemies, you can pulse warp to the starbase. They go away once you land there.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

On the ground you can generally dig a hole and hide inside until the search counter dies down - sentinel pathfinding has reportedly improved comparatively recently but if you make it deep and twisty enough you should be able to evade them. Alternatively if you have the rocket boost upgrade you can jet away faster than they can catch up (as long as you don't blunder into another group), again until the timer runs out.

In space, during the window when your boost is working you can summon the anomaly or your freighter and dock to shake them off.

Space fights are what they are, but the "auto-follow" button makes it relatively straightforward.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I haven't had a chance to play this patch yet but you could also get out of ground battles by defeating a wave and taking off as the next one spawns in search of you - since there's existing ground forces they don't call in the air force unless you hit space, but because they don't know where you are the alert dies off when they can't find you (because you're cruising in the atmosphere miles away)

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

If you can call the Anomaly, you don't even need to be able to escape combat. Although it takes a moment for it to load the interior, so you'll be waiting for the tractor beam a few seconds as you're getting pummeled.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Saxophone posted:

They'll always feel like rear end but here's how I win fights:
  • Having a good shield is maybe the most important thing just for survival purposes. Drop as many upgrades as you can on it.
  • Have a decent stack of Starship Batteries to recharge your shield mid-fight
  • Pick at most two weapons and upgrade the poo poo out of them. I just use the blaster for burning shields and rockets for a finishing move, but often I just use the blaster. The Infraknife Accelerator is good too, as is whatever the ship shotgun is called.
  • Have a squadron. I know people hate them because they get in the way, but they also do a good job of distracting enemies while you take them out one at a time
  • I don't use the auto-follow. Instead I hang almost motionless until I get an enemy track, then rotate around and fire on them. I barely use the engines, because I find it's too easy to overshoot, only tapping thrusters to chase targets that are getting out of range.

Space fights are kinda rear end even then, I feel like rapid recharging of shields to not die is the most important technique in the kind of protracted fight that Sentinels put up.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Not sure if Harmonic camps are supposed to work this way, but....

I guess I'll spoiler it since its sort of a cheat.

I can just keep going back to the same camp and have it scan for a new ship.
From this one camp I have two Cs a B and an A level ship.
All the same model of course, since I think thats planet locked.
Seems kinda cheaty or a bug, but it has fueled my squadron and its outfitting.

I have only found C level weapons though.
had to get a S class from a video.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

The new update has definitely provided the game with a real easy income stream, since interceptors are pretty easy to find and salvage, and net you 30-50 million units a pop when you melt them down.

Which, y'know, if it gets players out into the world and is more fun to do than farming mountains of star bulbs to make stasis devices or whatever, I think it's only a good thing.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
PSA
I had one of those camps glitch on me and wouldnt let me put in the glyphs to open the case. Menu option just didnt exist.

If you go to the difficulty settings and set purchases to Free, it opens up for you.

Just thought id pass this along.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Playing this for the first time in about 4 years. I have an old save I'd like to jump back into, as I got pretty far the last time I played and had some nice ships. Is that ok, or with all the updates and new stuff since then, is it better if I start a new game?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Drunk in Space posted:

Playing this for the first time in about 4 years. I have an old save I'd like to jump back into, as I got pretty far the last time I played and had some nice ships. Is that ok, or with all the updates and new stuff since then, is it better if I start a new game?

Itll work. You'll likely want to hunt for a new freighter, sell any obsolete items, and redo all your tech. All the ships are upgradable now too so if you love what you have, you can add slots and upgrade the class. Or you can scrap them and find somethin new.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Drunk in Space posted:

They re-did how the inventory system works on ships so you'll find some weirdness there because there's no longer a "cargo" section, and you can't install tech in inventory slots. So some of your tech will be packaged up and you'll need to reinstall it.

Other than that it should be fine, unless some of your bases are old enough to have gone through that period where they changed planet generation. In which case you might find the world you built on is drastically different.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, one of my old bases has a bunch of hostile plants in annoying places and some weirdness going on with structures floating in mid-air and stuff, so I'll definitely have to adjust some things.

Just from playing for a bit, though, I'm amazed at how much better the creature and plant variety is compared to before. So many weird critters sloshing and wheeling around the place.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I got my game working (video drivers weren't updating for some reason), and I'm really loving some of the new freighter stuff. The mining room that pulls various resources based on type of star you're around feels like a nice touch, now there's a reason to let your freighter idle in a system for a while if you're short on something.

Also need a good way to farm frigate modules, since I need a lot more of those now :cry:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Icon Of Sin posted:

Also need a good way to farm frigate modules, since I need a lot more of those now :cry:

Don’t sleep on looking for cargo containers on sentinel freighters to shoot, if you’re doing those

I also think they may have had a patch note about making guild mission rewards better so those may be worth poking too

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Yeah I think I might try to grind some missions for modules, because I'm not really having any luck with expeditions, and I'm lagging way behind on freighter upgrades.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

In case some of you don't know, especially those that haven't played in a while, there's an excellent app available called Assistant for No Man's Sky. It contains every recipe, every item, every answer, everything. The GUI is also pretty good, especially once you get used to the categories. While there is spoiler content in the app, it's sorted pretty well so you can avoid that if you want.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Raiding flotillas usually gets a pretty modest flow of freighter modules going — seems to be more prevalent in non-pirate space but I don’t really know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

but im nice