Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kitfox88 posted:

Is that the one with the cerebral bore? Played so much of one of that era's Turoks with friends via gamecube 4 player splitscreen during highschool.

no but it has a full body bore weapon... fires five bores that drill off every limb. actually less heavy metal than it sounds. cerebral bore was implemented way better imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Sally posted:

no but it has a full body bore weapon... fires five bores that drill off every limb. actually less heavy metal than it sounds. cerebral bore was implemented way better imo

Oh then that's why I was confused :nyoron:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I have a hard nostalgia tick when I hear "cerebral bore." I know it's from Turok 2, because I had that game, but I can't remember what was interesting at all about it. It was like a missile or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

credburn posted:

I have a hard nostalgia tick when I hear "cerebral bore." I know it's from Turok 2, because I had that game, but I can't remember what was interesting at all about it. It was like a missile or something?

It is quite literally exactly what the name suggests. It is fires drills that zoom into the enemy's head and bore inside in a mess of (for the time) absurd gore before exploding.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

credburn posted:

Homing middle that drills into enemies brains. Basically the spheres from phantasm.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Also the name of my Medieval English literature professor at Baylor

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It took me most of the way through my second run to figure it out, but I finally realized the Resident Evil 4 remake lets you skip most of its in-game codec conversations where you slowly walk around letting the dialogue play out. Wish I'd noticed sooner, but now the game is almost perfect in letting you just skip straight to the gameplay on repeat playthroughs. I think there's just one pesky forced slow walking segment left now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

It took me most of the way through my second run to figure it out, but I finally realized the Resident Evil 4 remake lets you skip most of its in-game codec conversations where you slowly walk around letting the dialogue play out. Wish I'd noticed sooner, but now the game is almost perfect in letting you just skip straight to the gameplay on repeat playthroughs. I think there's just one pesky forced slow walking segment left now.

I'm also not a big fan of the krauser spots. Just tedious busywork leading up to the actual fight

Some neat interactions I've noticed now that I have infinite rockets:

you can shoot the wall so it only takes one wrecking ball hit, you can shoot the rocks in the mind so you don't need tnt, you can blow up the fire breathing statue, you can take out the anti aircraft gun

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kitfox88 posted:

All I really remember is using that while my friends called me an rear end in a top hat and playing it on gamecube so it may have been that instead if it was on it? :iiam:

Anyway I just got a unique King Crab variant at the end of a 5 mission chain in MW5 involving stopping a lunatic with a nuclear weapon. so I'm looking over paint schemes. All the large Inner Sphere polities (minus Steiner cause they're dweebs like that) have some quippy writing on the front cause, well, it's a 100 ton assault mech that mounts dual AC/20s. Davion's is just 'FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY', Liao's translates roughly to 'not enough armor, but enough firepower', Marik is 'GETTING HUNGRY', and Rasalhague says 'King Crab is best crab' but Kurita's? The hardass edgy samurai house?

Literally translated, it's 'Large-size crab enemy'

:allears:

Needed a Steiner Scout squad thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

I'm also not a big fan of the krauser spots. Just tedious busywork leading up to the actual fight

Some neat interactions I've noticed now that I have infinite rockets:

you can shoot the wall so it only takes one wrecking ball hit, you can shoot the rocks in the mind so you don't need tnt, you can blow up the fire breathing statue, you can take out the anti aircraft gun

Heavy grenades work for the wall and the anti-aircraft gun too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

Heavy grenades work for the wall and the anti-aircraft gun too.

Yeah but I can't use those, what if I need them for a tough section coming up? I say having 6 in my inventory

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Len posted:

You don't need rockets for that second to last one.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

CitizenKain posted:

Needed a Steiner Scout squad thing.

I will note the first mission I saw with the max 400 ton drop limit WAS a Steiner mission.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samovar posted:

You don't need rockets for that second to last one.

Yeah but like I said then I would be using grenades and I might need those for something important coming up! I have broke brain and horde items

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Len posted:

Yeah but like I said then I would be using grenades and I might need those for something important coming up! I have broke brain and horde items

You can just shoot the statue, it's got a red weak spot on the back of the head.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Len posted:

There is a c4 on the head, you can blow it up with a single handgun round if you aren't blind. Also the game gives you more drops if you're low on something, so using the grenades will result in more grenades dropping.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Also the game gives you more drops if you're low on something, so using the grenades will result in more grenades dropping.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I will never understand gamers and their need to never use consumables. Do they think phoenix down and magnum bullets carry over?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You'll never know when you need to pop that Light of Elune and epically moonfire Nef down to 0% to save the raid.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Philippe posted:

I will never understand gamers and their need to never use consumables. Do they think phoenix down and magnum bullets carry over?

The next fight will be harder than this one, if I need to use it now what will I do then?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

The next fight will be harder than this one, if I need to use it now what will I do then?

Find more on the way to the next fight because the game will drop more.

I know you're joking, but jesus christ why do some people play games with inventory systems.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I had to end a Resident Evil 4 run halfway through once because the game left me in an untenable position by not sufficiently replacing items as I used them. Thus, my hoarding is justified :colbert:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Find more on the way to the next fight because the game will drop more.

I know you're joking, but jesus christ why do some people play games with inventory systems.

Some us grew up in households with scarcity and that's a knot you don't untie so easily

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Philippe posted:

I don't understand why games keep wanting me to use stuff to beat them. It's my stuff, you can't have it, stop stealing everything from me!

Is it too much to ask for an action game full of enemies that I can just scoot past instead of fighting?!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Philippe posted:

Because I'm a good player who doesn't need the help even if it takes fourteen tries to prove it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Philippe posted:

It's a carry over from the trauma in earlier video games where you could find yourself in an impossible situation because your consumables have been used up and you actually need them. NEVER AGAIN

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Way to ruin my strategy of cheesing the BG1 chessboard fight with a potion of insulation (and there's what, 1 of those?) and a scroll of invisibility.

Crafting in games make it worse though, because it happens way more often that you do actually need 50 bear asses for the bear-rear end tailor for a sidequest that unlocks your ultimate weapon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had to end a Resident Evil 4 run halfway through once because the game left me in an untenable position by not sufficiently replacing items as I used them. Thus, my hoarding is justified :colbert:

My run on PS4 turned into just using the rifle for most of the island. It was what I had ammo for so it was what I used so that's what the game dropped ammo for

I just wanted to use my shotgun :negative:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

It's a carry over from the trauma in earlier video games where you could find yourself in an impossible situation because your consumables have been used up and you actually need them. NEVER AGAIN

I never suffered this trauma and yet was an item hoarder for years. I don't think it's a logical or learned response purely within videogames.

I think what got me to kick the habit was when I finally broke out one of those hoarded items in a sticky situation, and I'd been sitting on it for so long that it was no longer useful. Like, getting 30MP from an ether when I needed 50 to cast a remotely useful spell.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Hoard save files, not items

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Some us grew up in households with scarcity and that's a knot you don't untie so easily

There is no :rolleyes: big enough for this post

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

credburn posted:

And then Sekiro brought it back

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Opopanax posted:

And then Sekiro brought it back

Sekiro's approach to consumables belong in the other thread. God what a terrible mechanic. You get a thing that'll help you in the next boss fight, ignoring the fact that Souls type games are supposed to be about iteration.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Been playing Wild Hearts with friends and it has a really nice message that pops up when you join if you're at the same point of story progression - basically it tells you that since you're at the same point, story progress made in this game will also apply to your own.

What's also neat is that if you're ahead of the person that you join, when you guys catch up to what you've seen, the game will also display that message, saying that since you've now reached a parity in the plot, story progress will carry over.

Just a great reassuring message that means you don't have to worry about plot progress and trying to figure out how that works re: multiplayer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

You'll never know when you need to pop that Light of Elune and epically moonfire Nef down to 0% to save the raid.

You joke, but I still have mine living in my bank even after all these years. The ten-set of wipes too. :smuggo:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

RareAcumen posted:

Is it too much to ask for an action game full of enemies that I can just scoot past instead of fighting?!

Mirror's Edge

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of games, especially the RPGs that are most infamous for item hoarding, are pretty bad with pacing and UI and teaching you how you're 'supposed' to be playing them, especially when you already got spells/attacks/special abilities that do the same thing right there. And half the time the items are poorly explained and extremely underwhelming when actually used compared to spending the turn using a spell or otherwise engaging in mechanics that don't feel tacked on.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dragonwagon posted:

Mirror's Edge
And then in the 2nd game they specifically lock you into arenas with enemies so you have to beat them (and there are no guns to quickly take them out and move on, I hope you enjoy the melee combat system - I did not :()

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Philippe posted:

Sekiro's approach to consumables belong in the other thread. God what a terrible mechanic. You get a thing that'll help you in the next boss fight, ignoring the fact that Souls type games are supposed to be about iteration.

Sekiro definitely has a bad approach to its ninja mega man weapons’ ammo, but I don’t know if it’s fair to pan it specifically for not doing things the way the other souls games unless the things it did instead were objectively worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Last Celebration posted:

Sekiro definitely has a bad approach to its ninja mega man weapons’ ammo, but I don’t know if it’s fair to pan it specifically for not doing things the way the other souls games unless the things it did instead were objectively worse.

Okay but what if it was objectively worse?

It's even worse than Nioh's approach, which was already 'worse Souls set in feudal Japan'.