Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zwabu posted:

I would think that lying for years on your taxes about hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in income must be a criminal offense?

What's judicial immunity? Are SC Justices supposed to not be able to be charged or prosecuted for a crime? They can just go around shooting people? What?

Thomas has two AR-15s. One engraved with "Checks" and the other "Balances".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
"I am the law." - Judge Thomas

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If only some part of the US legal system were able to decide what counts as bribery

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
I mean if he was capable of even an ounce of shame enough pressure might convince him to resign, but unfortunately I've some bad news about that first part.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zwabu posted:

I would think that lying for years on your taxes about hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in income must be a criminal offense?

What's judicial immunity? Are SC Justices supposed to not be able to be charged or prosecuted for a crime? They can just go around shooting people? What?

It means they can’t be charged for decisions they make unless they’re found to be committing judicial misconduct. They can’t go around shooting people, even if they e just sentences said person to the firing squad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Zwabu posted:

Oh yeah. I forgot about the (possible) tax fraud thing if he didn't disclose those things.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wayne Knight posted:

Thomas has two AR-15s. One engraved with "Checks" and the other "Balances".

The world is so crazy now I legitmately can't tell if this is real or not.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh yeah. I forgot about the (possible) tax fraud thing if he didn't disclose those things.

It looks more like he reported the income to the IRS, but lied about the actual source of that income everywhere else. I'm also pretty sure that Thomas has been caught lying on his disclosure forms multiple times over the years. The response has consistently been a shoulder shrug followed with "whatayougonnado?" by everyone in the vicinity of oversight.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Members of Congress get caught on the reg for not disclosing stuff like stock purchases and sales so I doubt they'd remove the motes in their own eyes long enough to take Thomas to task.

And that's when they have insider knowledge about industries they're purportedly regulating or bestowing with contracts!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Willa Rogers posted:

Members of Congress get caught on the reg for not disclosing stuff like stock purchases and sales so I doubt they'd remove the motes in their own eyes long enough to take Thomas to task.

And that's when they have insider knowledge about industries they're purportedly regulating or bestowing with contracts!

Don't most of them use the Rick Scott defense of "oh no, I don't own any stocks. I gave them all to my wife"?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

If you look at the list of infractions a lot of them are for congressional spouses, such as:

quote:

Feinstein was months late disclosing a five-figure investment her husband made into a private, youth-focused polling company.

The disclosure forms (and rules) cover both people's finances.

eta: Plus dependent children, which is why you have your large adult sons do the serious grifting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Pretty sweet that the people who are elected to enforce laws are allowed to essentially do insider trading in full view of the american public and no one ever wants to do anything about it. ANy elected government official should divest or place in a trust any and all stocks they sell or buy, period. Instead, we have a government that's allowed to pass laws which directly affect their investment portfolios with prior first hand knowledge of how that will impact the stock they own.

It's incredible.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Stupid question, what is that new central fed banking thing that the right is up in arms over called? And what's it's deal?

A vaguely remember hearing the right wingers losing their poo poo over it but for the life of me I can't remember what it had to do with or what it was called. They are touting it as some social credit score nonsense or the government is going to control how you spend money blah blah blah.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

cr0y posted:

Stupid question, what is that new central fed banking thing that the right is up in arms over called? And what's it's deal?

A vaguely remember hearing the right wingers losing their poo poo over it but for the life of me I can't remember what it had to do with or what it was called. They are touting it as some social credit score nonsense or the government is going to control how you spend money blah blah blah.

FedNOW, basically a service instantly transfers money between bank accounts without a settlement period, backed by the fed. Replacing a lot of existing ACH transactions and competing with the Realtime Payment networks that banks have set up already (zelle)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Remember Charlottesville?

Virginia doesn't have a statute of limitations on felonies. And it turns out there were a lot of felonies on Tiki Torch night. Most notably:

quote:

§ 18.2-423.01. Burning object on property of another or a highway or other public place with intent to intimidate; penalty.
A. Any person who, with the intent of intimidating any person or group of persons, burns an object on the private property of another without permission, is guilty of a Class 6 felony.
B. Any person who, with the intent of intimidating any person or group of persons, burns an object on a highway or other public place in a manner having a direct tendency to place another person in reasonable fear or apprehension of death or bodily injury is guilty of a Class 6 felony.

Now, if you read that and recall the events of that night, you might think there was a strong intention to intimidate and terrorize. A jury in 2021 found there was a conspiracy en route to hammering Spencer, Kessler, and others for millions in damages. It'd, in fact, be clear to anyone except for the MS-13 fearmongering, ICE loving county attorney in charge at the time who (despite the opinions of his counterparts and challenger) insisted he couldn't build a case against the torchbearing mob.

quote:

But in Virginia, prosecutors come and go and a felony lives forever. In an October 2019 debate between then-sitting prosecutor Tracci and his challenger, Jim Hingeley, Tracci again scoffed at the idea of indicting these cases, saying Hingeley's belief that it was even possible was a sign he was inexperienced and wrong for the job. A month later, in November 2019, Hingeley won the election. Now it seems he's trying to make good on his campaign promise of proving Robert Tracci wrong.

In February 2023, the Albemarle County Commonwealth's Attorney's office quietly sought, and got, indictments under the burning objects statute. A grand jury agreed with Hingeley - there was probable cause to believe that objects had been burned with the intent to intimidate. Fugitive warrants were issued. Arrests were made by local police in far ranging jurisdictions. Now, nearly six years after that hot night in August, the extraditions are starting.
Conger, at the link, will profile many of the Unite the Right assholes over the coming weeks. As we heard in 2021's testimony, a lot of the 'luminaries' of the white supremacist movement were there that night. Now, it looks like they'll be back.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

All the people with oversight powers are frantically pretending they don't have oversight powers, so I don't think it's gonna happen.

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1646607583678025750

What's the point of this? Even if Roberts and the seven other justices came out and publicly and called for Thomas to resign (obviously not going to happen), it wouldn't be binding at all.

Roberts doesn't have any power to punish other justices does he?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's the point of this? Even if Roberts and the seven other justices came out and publicly and called for Thomas to resign (obviously not going to happen), it wouldn't be binding at all.

Roberts doesn't have any power to punish other justices does he?
No, he has no power over them

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Senators McConnell & Fetterman have announced their returns to Congress this week. Sen. Shingles (D-CA) is still out till they find a way to re-animate a corpse till her doctor "clears her for travel."

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

Senators McConnell & Fetterman have announced their returns to Congress this week. Sen. Shingles (D-CA) is still out till they find a way to re-animate a corpse till her doctor "clears her for travel."

Have we actually seen video of McConnell?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Have we actually seen video of McConnell?

No. We've at least seen proof that Fetterman is still alive. McConnell and Feinstein are....?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

As I said, McConnell has announced his return to the Senate tomorrow.

Feinstein is ostensibly waiting for doctor's clearance "to travel."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

nine-gear crow posted:

No. We've at least seen proof that Fetterman is still alive. McConnell and Feinstein are....?

Emperors_Death_Bed_Scene_Dark_Crystal.MOV

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Emperors_Death_Bed_Scene_Dark_Crystal.MOV

Alternatively, "Somehow, Palpatine returned" dot gif

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Don't know how big this story is nationally, but it's a major deal locally.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/family-demands-justice-after-black-teen-ralph-yarl-shot-in-the-head-after-ringing-wrong-doorbell

Basically, a black 16-year-old (Ralph Yarl) was going to pick up his siblings at 115th terrace, but ended up at the same address on 115th street a block away. Instead of saying "Oh this 115th street, you're looking for 115th terrace which is the street behind us, crazy right?" like a normal person, the white homeowner shot him through the screen door, went outside and shot him again. Somehow Ralph is alive in critical condition. There have been protests all over the city as the shooter has yet to be charged, although I'm not sure how quickly charges come about for any type of attempted murder. Lee Merritt, who represented the family of Ahmaud Arbery, is representing the Yarl family as well, so this might gain steam.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Missouri's a castle doctrine state, so there's room for any proceeding to go very badly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Honestly it's kind of silly that representatives have to be physically present in the capitol to vote. Seems like maybe our government should consider taking this newfangled invention of instantaneous global communication into account.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does castle doctrine allow you to shoot someone through your door? The castle is everything from the driveway to the street?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

Honestly it's kind of silly that representatives have to be physically present in the capitol to vote. Seems like maybe our government should consider taking this newfangled invention of instantaneous global communication into account.

The House temporarily had remote voting during the height of the pandemic. If it hadn’t been removed when the GOP took the house, it’s definitely gone now

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

On top of it being super hosed up that they shot him through the door, then shot him again, the fact that the victem only got help after the fourth place he went to made him lie down on the ground with his hands up.

Like, it's possible that he was just super unlucky and no one was home in the first three homes he tried, but... probabaly not.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Missouri's a castle doctrine state, so there's room for any proceeding to go very badly.

Even without castle doctrine, there's plenty of room for things to go badly. This reminds me a lot of the killing of Yoshihiro Hattori in the 90s, where a jury didn't convict despite a very similar set of facts:

quote:

Hattori and Haymaker walked to the house's front door and rang the doorbell. Nobody came to the front door, but Bonnie Peairs opened the side door leading to the carport and saw Haymaker standing a few yards away. Haymaker was wearing a neck brace due to a recent injury and bandages as part of a Halloween costume. He attempted to address Bonnie Peairs, but she later testified that she panicked when Hattori appeared from around the corner and moved briskly towards her. She slammed the door and told her husband Rodney to get his gun.[2]

Outside, Haymaker inferred that he and Hattori had come to the wrong house. They were preparing to return to their car when Rodney Peairs opened the carport door, armed with a .44 Magnum revolver. Hattori stepped back towards Peairs, saying, "We're here for the party." Peairs pointed the gun at him and yelled, "Freeze!" Haymaker had caught sight of the firearm and shouted a warning after Hattori,[8] but Hattori had limited English and was not wearing his contact lenses that evening; it is possible that he did not understand Peairs' command to "freeze"[9] and did not see the weapon,[2] or might even have thought that this was part of a Halloween prank.[10] Hattori was also holding a camera which Peairs mistook for a weapon.[9] When Hattori continued moving towards Peairs, Peairs fired his gun at him from a distance of about 5 feet (1.5 m) away, hitting him in the chest, and then retreated back inside the house. Haymaker ran to the home next door for help, returning with a neighbor to find Hattori badly wounded and lying on his back. The Peairses did not come out of their house until the police arrived about forty minutes after the shooting. Bonnie Peairs shouted to a neighbor to "go away" when the neighbor called for help.[2]

quote:

Peairs's defense was his claim that Hattori had an "extremely unusual manner of moving" that any reasonable person would find "scary". It emphasized that Peairs was an "average Joe", a man just like the jury members' neighbors, a man who "liked sugar in his grits".[11]

At trial, Peairs testified about the moment just before the shooting: "It was a person, coming from behind the car, moving real fast. At that point, I pointed the gun and hollered, 'Freeze!' The person kept coming toward me, moving very erratically. At that time, I hollered for him to stop. He didn't; he kept moving forward. I remember him laughing. I was scared to death. This person was not gonna stop, he was gonna do harm to me." Peairs testified that he shot Hattori once in the chest when the youth was about 5 feet (1.5 m) away. "I felt I had no choice," he said. "I'm very sorry that any of this ever happened."[2] A police detective testified that Peairs had said to him, "Boy, I messed up; I made a mistake."[12]

District Attorney Doug Moreau concentrated on establishing that it had not been reasonable for Peairs, a 6-foot-2-inch (1.88 m) tall, armed man, to be so fearful of a polite, friendly, unarmed, 130-pound (59 kg) boy who rang the doorbell, even if he walked toward him unexpectedly in the carport, and that Peairs was not justified in using deadly force.[citation needed]

The defense further argued that Rodney Peairs was, in large part, reacting reasonably to his wife's panic. Bonnie Peairs testified for an hour about the incident, during which she also cried several times. "He [Hattori] was coming real fast towards me," she testified. "I had never had somebody come at me like that before. I was terrified." Rodney Peairs did not hesitate or question her but instead went to retrieve a handgun with a laser sight stored in a suitcase in the bedroom.[2] "There was no thinking involved. I wish I could have thought. If I could have just thought," Bonnie Peairs said.[10] While giving a description of Hattori at the trial, Bonnie Peairs said, "I guess he appeared Oriental. He could have been Mexican or whatever. He was taller than me and his skin was darker colored."[13][14][15]

The trial lasted seven days. The jury returned a not guilty verdict after deliberating for approximately three hours.[a] Courtroom spectators applauded when the verdict was announced.[9]

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Does castle doctrine allow you to shoot someone through your door? The castle is everything from the driveway to the street?

It shouldn't, but then it shouldn't exist in the first place. Its presence permits all sorts of absurdity in arguments.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 17, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Nope nope nope.

In today’s world, this means that ability to walk, or wheelchair, in and out of the chamber is a backstop to total incapacitation.

If they may vote from wherever, ghouls literally from their coffin will have aides click buttons on Zoom.

It would be genuinely a detriment. Same for SCOTUS.

If you as a legislator are unable to make it to the chamber due to debilitating injury or illness, you should be replaced.

If you as a legislator are unable to make it to the chamber due to competing priorities that somehow require you to be elsewhere, you should be replaced. Not for temporary cases, of course. But if you are so thoroughly hosed up that you are unable to do it physically, it leaves a huge question that is it you, your wife, your donor, your boyfriend, your kids, or who is it that is clicking the voting button? And how do you count quorum? Present but you’re asleep in Mexico?

Also absentia, residing in foreign country yet voting in chamber, etc etc.

Requiring them to drag their rear end into there and out of there is genuinely good for democracy. Even if someone else is helping them with wheelchairs or some mobility issues.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 17, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Sound ableist when you put it like that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Attempts to rectify this were stonewalled by Mitch McConnell.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Blind Pineapple posted:

went outside and shot him again.

jesus christ i hadn't heard this part. what the gently caress

e:

Twincityhacker posted:

the victem only got help after the fourth place he went to made him lie down on the ground with his hands up.

WHAT???????? tHE gently caress????????????????????????

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nenonen posted:

"I am the law." - Judge Thomas

More like Judge Dreadful

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Twincityhacker posted:

On top of it being super hosed up that they shot him through the door, then shot him again, the fact that the victem only got help after the fourth place he went to made him lie down on the ground with his hands up.

Like, it's possible that he was just super unlucky and no one was home in the first three homes he tried, but... probabaly not.

The parable of rear end in a top hat Samaritan

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Main Paineframe posted:

Even without castle doctrine, there's plenty of room for things to go badly. This reminds me a lot of the killing of Yoshihiro Hattori in the 90s, where a jury didn't convict despite a very similar set of facts:

First story I thought of was Brennan Walker who tried asking for directions and was shot at but thankfully the shooter missed. That guy was convicted of assault despite making the same "My wife was screaming" excuse.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Clarste posted:

Sound ableist when you put it like that.

This. What a bizarre and disgusting post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vahakyla posted:

Requiring them to drag their rear end into there and out of there is genuinely good for democracy.

Is there any country where this has had an any sort of positive effect on democracy? Especially in the case of United States I seem to recall plenty of times it was used to prevent democracy, by preventing some representatives from being present by tricks or physical force. I really don't personally give a poo poo where the voting happens as opposed to how they vote.

Blind Pineapple posted:

like a normal person, the white homeowner shot him through the screen door, went outside and shot him again.

If this isn't attempted murder....

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 17, 2023