Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've had issues with a lot of indie Unity games. The devs have admitted in several cases that they made some basic errors that were really hard to correct after publishing and they would have gone about it totally differently now that they have experience with the engine.

I think this is pretty common since the base package is free and there are a lot of cheap licensing options, which makes it popular with developers publishing their first big game.

Note I'm not a developer, my only frame of reference is rookie coding involving databases and sincerely regretting some of my early decisions :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

unity are still self-owning their reputation by requiring projects made with the free license tier to prominently display the unity logo, so they get most closely associated with games made by inexperienced developers (or outright shovelware)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Unity is bravely leading the way, pioneering new genres that make players think "What the heck, this game looks nowhere near good enough to run like so much rear end".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's called Unity because you're clutching onto your PC for dear life while it's trying to render some cardboard cutout trees.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

unity makes a nit out of u and ty

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I still remember playing Witcher 3 on my previous laptop and being blown away at the low load times and excellent performance at mid-to-high settings. The laptop wasn't anything super-tricked out for gaming either.

Then I'd load games that looked like they were made a decade earlier graphics-wise and with a tenth of the footprint on my HD and it would chug.

Optimization is wild.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There's nothing really special about Unity and bad performance, it's just got a lower barrier to entry so inexperienced programmers without a good idea of how what they're doing impacts performance can use it to make stuff relatively easily.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can't spell Unity without I Nut Y.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Volte posted:

There's nothing really special about Unity and bad performance, it's just got a lower barrier to entry so inexperienced programmers without a good idea of how what they're doing impacts performance can use it to make stuff relatively easily.

I am a terrible developer and I've never worked with unity or in games but over the years I've seen a lot of posts that are basically "after untold hours of going 'what the gently caress', I finally figured out a bit of how the performance monitoring tools work and it turns out the place I'm rendering a bunch of particle effects and various resource intensive logic because it seemed easy and accessible is actually something that unity checks and recalculates 500 trillion times a second"

It's a common enough problem with SDKs and frameworks aimed at supporting beginners, it's very easy to get away with bad practices that work when you're starting out but absolutely don't scale at all. Though usually the point where it becomes an unignorable problem and you spend some time figuring it out and rewriting a bunch of your code is before your game goes to market

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I just wish there was a solution to the problem. I picked up Filcher, which is an indie noir Thief throwback only to realize part way through the first level that there was a coil whine-esque screaming coming from my PC and the room was heating up. Because this little tiny Unity stealth game that uses 2D sprites for enemies was cooking my GPU for no adequately explained reason.

Turning on v-sync made the fan whining diminish slightly, but it was still unhappy about it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

John Murdoch posted:

I just wish there was a solution to the problem. I picked up Filcher, which is an indie noir Thief throwback only to realize part way through the first level that there was a coil whine-esque screaming coming from my PC and the room was heating up. Because this little tiny Unity stealth game that uses 2D sprites for enemies was cooking my GPU for no adequately explained reason.

Turning on v-sync made the fan whining diminish slightly, but it was still unhappy about it.

Fun fact about the Unity engine, it doesn't cap a games framerate automatically for the developer. So if they don't implement an upper limit, your GPU will render as many frames as it can, bringing it to 100% load. That's why you enabling vsync helped a bit, since it effectively throttled the GPU to only rendering 60 frames or whatever. The fan was still going hard probably because of the heat up from earlier.

It's been a common thing a lot of people have been complaining about from Unity games in forever. Even going into a pause menu can cook your GPU, since your GPU would just fly and try to crank out as many frames as possible.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Megaquarium uses Unity and it has (or had? patch notes say performance has been improved) ridiculous fps problems once you built up to a certain size, regardless of gpu and cpu. The dev didn't anticipate the scale that players wanted to build to.

If you give me 150 different fish, drat right I'm going to have at least several of each type :hai: In general I think devs of sandbox games don't realize that the first thing players are going to do is see how far they can push its limits. My tank of 60 crabs and 10 sharks was cool as gently caress even if everything rendered at 20 fps.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Even going into a pause menu can cook your GPU, since your GPU would just fly and try to crank out as many frames as possible.

This is still really common with game menus.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 17, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Fun fact about the Unity engine, it doesn't cap a games framerate automatically for the developer. So if they don't implement an upper limit, your GPU will render as many frames as it can, bringing it to 100% load. That's why you enabling vsync helped a bit, since it effectively throttled the GPU to only rendering 60 frames or whatever. The fan was still going hard probably because of the heat up from earlier.

It's been a common thing a lot of people have been complaining about from Unity games in forever. Even going into a pause menu can cook your GPU, since your GPU would just fly and try to crank out as many frames as possible.

The weird thing is I can A/B test and hear the sound change moment to moment as I tweak stuff and it doesn't otherwise linger if I cut whatever is making presumably the fans go nuts. Which maybe the card/computer in general just has good heat dissipation but idk. Also I've gotten the Whine of Doom before, in a totally different context and only one other time. Which was trying to run City of Heroes using that driver-level setting where you can force it to run things at the game's designated resolution on the driver level rather than it running over top Windows normally at an arbitrary resolution. This cursed combination resulted in the same sound, but it never got hot best I could sense, it's just that whenever there was 3D poo poo being rendered there'd be angry noises.

This is also coming from a (now) old premium 1080 super duper I got secondhand years ago and I have no idea what exact model/manufacturer it is so I can't even go looking to see if it's a known thing with this specific card or what.

Ultimately it's really annoying because even nowadays I'm pretty paranoid about this thing kicking the bucket and needing to source a new GPU. Last thing I want is weird noises even if they're somehow innocuous and not straight up heat stroke.

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is still really common with game menus.

Isn't that basically what happened with that Amazon MMO? People with super ultra high end 3090s had them cook themselves because the infinite framerate menus combined very badly with some deep down manufacturing defect?

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 17, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Velocity Raptor posted:

+It's been a common thing a lot of people have been complaining about from Unity games in forever. Even going into a pause menu can cook your GPU, since your GPU would just fly and try to crank out as many frames as possible.

lmao

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

John Murdoch posted:

The solution is just cap your framerate to your refresh rate in the GeForce menu, or another third party utility.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

John Murdoch posted:

Isn't that basically what happened with that Amazon MMO? People with super ultra high end 3090s had them cook themselves because the infinite framerate menus combined very badly with some deep down manufacturing defect?

From my understanding any GPU that fries itself trying to render hundred of frames is faulty to begin with because it should just shut down when overheating, yeah.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've been playing Hydroneer over the weekend since it was on sale and I've become somewhat obsessed with it. It has just enough automation to want to build up a mining colony but there's also a significant amount of hand tooling that makes doing things a slight pain in the rear end that appeals to my Sim game adoration.

It's also neat because it's free-form enough that you can get away with some Jerry rigged solutions. Sprinklers for your farm too expensive? Why not intentionally run leaky pipes over your farm instead?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Has Steam been a flaming wreck for anyone else in the past few months? Store pages frequently fail to load and purchases frequently fail to go through. It seems to play nicer in the browser than the app now.

Edit: I even had some "in library" flags missing on a big sale page. That's new.

Double edit: Also wishlisting takes multiple attempts now.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 17, 2023

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Has Steam been a flaming wreck for anyone else in the past few months? Store pages frequently fail to load and purchases frequently fail to go through. It seems to play nicer in the browser than the app now.

Ever since the spring sale I've been seeing this same thing.

secretly best girl posted:

I haven't seen that one specifically, but the Friends list/page has been hosed on and off all weekend for me. I feel like there's some backend maintenance and/or errors going on post-sale.

None of this has improved since, and I've also begun seeing the store itself have issues (including, yes, one failed purchase)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't realize Empyrion ever left early access. How did that game shake out? Is it worth picking up? It's on sale at the moment.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

If I’m thinking of the right issue, this was specifically a problem with gigabyte GPUs because they didn’t have protection to avoid deep frying themselves. Definitely not something the game should have been doing, but really the manufacturer’s fault at the end of the day

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Edit: I even had some "in library" flags missing on a big sale page. That's new.

Nope, not at all, it's been working fine. Are you behind on steam updates, maybe?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My own activity feed keeps getting nuked daily: achievements, games played for the first time, purchases, reviews... it's loving weird. Everyone else's seem to be fine?

Gaben must really hate me for having canceled my original Deck preorder.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Steam Community was straight up down for a while yesterday. For me the store and etc. have been a bit more stable overall more recently, but as was said this started with the Spring sale and never fully went away.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Just chiming in to say my Steam has been garbage lately as well.
Multiple attempts at purchasing anything - ended up having to use the browser version of steam to make anything work.
Constant problems with syncing saves to the cloud, too.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

maybe i havent noticed any issues because i just always use the browser store for everything other than launching a game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't realize Empyrion ever left early access. How did that game shake out? Is it worth picking up? It's on sale at the moment.

Reading the reviews on Steam, its still a very buggy and broken game, and not at all solo player friendly. Co-op is required to really make any progress.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Awesome! posted:

maybe i havent noticed any issues because i just always use the browser store for everything other than launching a game.

The really dire one is android mobile right now. The chat client absolutely shits the bed if it fails to phone home and just begins locking up until it finally gets a reply.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The really dire one is android mobile right now. The chat client absolutely shits the bed if it fails to phone home and just begins locking up until it finally gets a reply.

Yeah I can't believe they haven't fixed that yet. I don't think they've even updated the app since putting out that new version that broke everything apart into different apps. You just have to force close the app every now and then and re-open to be able to type anything into chat.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
May be jinxing myself, but I had lots of Steam client screwing up until the big mobile app update. Ever since then I have not had a single problem with store pages or launcher, and both purchases and remote downloads from my iOS devices (where I make 95% of my buying decisions) have been smooth and successfully completed.

Epic Games Store, otoh, can gently caress right off…

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, its absolute trash. I've been very confused at certain received messages because sometimes the app will just completely skip messages that have been sent to me but display later ones.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

theres been a few times in the past month when the friends list would just not display or just flash up a chat window for half a second and not let me open it

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

It's been working perfectly normally for me. But I don't touch any of the mobile apps, plus I'm on a Mac, so maybe I'm a couple versions behind and they just haven't gotten around to breaking it yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

Reading the reviews on Steam, its still a very buggy and broken game, and not at all solo player friendly. Co-op is required to really make any progress.

Hmm, hard pass then

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

Epic Games Store, otoh, can gently caress right off…

Epic is also a hot mess, yeah. In particular, I can't get the weekly free game section to load in the app anymore. That's a browser-only thing for me.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I had some weird issue with the pc Steam client a while ago and while I have no idea if it will help those here, the solution was ambiguous enough that maybe it will work for some of these other issues people are having:

PlushCow posted:

ok going into Steam client's settings and Web Broswer then Delete Web Browser Data fixed it. Weird. :shrug:

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER

JollyBoyJohn posted:

theres been a few times in the past month when the friends list would just not display or just flash up a chat window for half a second and not let me open it
I’ve been getting this a lot. I also routinely stream games back and forth with a buddy so we can watch each other play Noita or whatever and that’s been a lot more inconsistent in the last month. It always works eventually, though.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Epic is also a hot mess, yeah. In particular, I can't get the weekly free game section to load in the app anymore. That's a browser-only thing for me.

:same: That’s just one (1) of the multiple problems…I do much better if I start installs/launch games from Playnite these days and minimize the EGS launcher altogether.

Edit:
GOG Galaxy poo poo the bed with Steam integration for me, too. It’ll with, then say the Steam client is “offline.” No matter what state the open, running Steam client is doing.

Hence, Playnite.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 17, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally decided to try out Brutal mode in Shadow of War.

So far from what I played, having things not take a billion hits to kill makes the game feel so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Any opinions on Revita? I do like roguelites in general, but not sure about how "fun" each individual run is, since it looks like you're locked into a weapon for the duration of a run (but with some pretty big ways to modify it if I'm seeing this right?) and that main story progression is gated between higher difficulty

It's currently juuust outside the price point in my region where it's comfortable for me to buy and try