Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

I can still do stump jumps at 33 but it hurts. gently caress it really is all downhill here isn't it

Yes and no. It takes more work to keep your body closer to a shape where that's not going to hurt, but it's very possible if you're inclined to do so. Just maybe don't do it on a hard surface, that's what hurts my knees. I go through cycles where I can do those sorts of exercise until I tweak something and have to back off a little. But there's also nothing wrong with modifying to go easier on your knees by not jumping as far or not bending quite as low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As I hurtle towards 50 I've found that a significant amount of your exercise time results in maintaining conditioning rather than gaining it. You can certainly still get stronger and faster, but it takes a lot more time. You break habits for a week and you're gonna feel it when you get back on the horse.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

As I hurtle towards 50 I've found that a significant amount of your exercise time results in maintaining conditioning rather than gaining it. You can certainly still get stronger and faster, but it takes a lot more time. You break habits for a week and you're gonna feel it when you get back on the horse.

I just turned 40, which bumped me into a higher age bracket with my Fitbit data, so overnight my cardio fitness rating went from "good" to "very good" for my age 💪

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
We got blown out in our second playoff game against the team that has the rink owner's daughter on it. They had 17 skaters show up to our 6 on easter. Its frustrating to play against them because while they are really loving good, most of their best players are really loving dirty. One of their guys crosschecked our smallest woman players in her cage and threw her to the ground after the whistle for no reason. This is after he 2 hand slashed our best player in the back of the knee when he got a breakaway while they were up 7-0 in the second.
It wasn't even really a fun game because their whole team was playing at 100% all game and playing dirty. One of their players kept smacking our in the back of his helmet and the refs would not call him for it. Same guy kept jabbing his stick at our goalie's glove when he would catch the puck and be holding it in the air. FFS its D league beer league.
This team has won the championship in the sunday and tuesday league for the past 3 seasons in both leagues. It would be really nice if they moved up a division or 2 but I guess all these guys just out of college hockey really like scoring hattricks against people learning how to play hockey.
The rink owner's daughter actually teaches the learn to play hockey so its funny watching her dunk on me and the other players she literally was coaching on how to stop during the fall.

As poo poo as the game was though I had a bunch of chances that I just couldn't finish on. Their goalie is good and also a good person who is quitting their team because he's tired of being on the team that injures multiple players on multiple teams a season. I was invited to join 2 different sunday teams after the season ended and I just cannot play at this rink anymore. Its not worth the risk, especially after the guy on that team ended up tearing all the ligaments in my wife's thumb by checking her into the boards

edit: sorry for the venting pity party.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

In my experience, rinks will only actively remove ringers if they have an endless supply of skaters. The same team made the finals like 7 seasons in a row in Franklin Park's league and they did nothing about it because they were so desperate for players. The opposite is true at 5/3, where they're extremely active about removing ringers at the very least each season and sometimes even midseason if it's egregious. But that league is so popular that the only way to get in is to have someone who's currently on a team invite you.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, if the only problem the Kraken Adult Hockey League is having is being slower on the scheduling, then I'm not going to complain anymore. Even there the Kraken hired the league a scheduling assistant and it's working out well. Most teams will have one or two players that could be maybe 1-2 levels higher, but no one has someone that should be playing Div 3+ on a Div 8- team. We have a sub that is probably a div 8ish player, but because his primary team got moved to div 6 this year we had to jump through hoops to get him on the summer league team even. It's a good problem. Past that there's only an occasional sub that's playing too far down.

Sounds like that might be the case for 5/3 too. For the other adult leagues I've worked for they've been much less well run to not having someone to run the clock or even a defined league rules. I'll still take those games, but they aren't as nice to ref because we're doing extra jobs. Someone has to have a partner who can push a few buttons on the scoreboard, but nope.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

We had our third game in our never-ever beginner league last night. The other beginner team definitely has a dude who should be in C league. It's kind of frustrating when everyone on the ice just started skating 4 months ago, and this dude is going up the ice, scoring at will, and being a complete douchebag about it. The league admin was at our game last night and is on the verge of kicking him out. After his third goal (plus three assists and three roughing/slashing/unsportsmanlike penalties), he slashed our goalie's leg pads and started yelling about how much he sucked. (They were up 9 goals). We're pretty frustrated, I have a call with the league admin tomorrow basically telling him if the dude doesn't get bumped up a league or two we're not playing them anymore.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is hand pain normal as you get used to using a stick? It's mostly in the palm but the rest is also sore and making a fist takes a bit longer to do. Is this just from using a death grip and I should loosen it up more when stickhandling and not shooting? It's only on the upper hand, lower hand is fine.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Is hand pain normal as you get used to using a stick? It's mostly in the palm but the rest is also sore and making a fist takes a bit longer to do. Is this just from using a death grip and I should loosen it up more when stickhandling and not shooting? It's only on the upper hand, lower hand is fine.

It shouldn’t be. I’d think about how you’re holding it and maybe how you’ve taped it. There’s not a huge amount of difference in stick geometry on the handle. It could just be as simple as relaxing the grip, or it could mean that the knob is digging into your palm and you need to move your hand down onto the stick all the way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would guess it's conditioning. Early on my forearms would cramp up after a couple minutes of stick handling because I do IT work and my wimpy limbs weren't up to the task. The more you work out the better it'll get. Or you can do exercises to move it along.. a wrist roller can be made pretty cheaply with some rope and a wooden dowel.

If you are death gripping the stick, definitely don't do that.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Chill la Chill posted:

Someone that I was helping had a similar issue but it was from hitting the ice too hard when he would try to shoot. I had explained to him once that the mechanics of a slapshot is to hit the ice an inch or two before the puck, he took on to that too much.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Got asked to sub up a division and had 2G 1A, plus got told I have an open invite to sub for that team any time they’re short. Feels good man.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

We had our championship game last night (loser bracket)
Lost 6-9. I scored the last goal of the game to make it the funny sex number. I as right wing dumped the puck along the boards, chased and won the battle. Threw the puck in front of the net to no one. Goalie kicks it out to center ice near the blue line. I keep it in somehow and then slowly stick handle through their entire team one after another. Throw the puck at the net again. While our center and left wing battled for the puck their ringer accidentally kicked it in their net.

In other news a dude late checked me and got thrown in the box. Later same guy jabbed our goalie in the back of his knee and hosed it up. Then he Paul Bunyan'd at our best player in the head. Our guy blocked it with his stick and it exploded. I guess the guy is getting banned for life since this is not anywhere close to the first time it has happened. Also they were up 7-1 when he assaulted our guys.
Also our goalie got 5 to offset the penalty for pushing their guy away from our guy.

Anyways my whole team is bailing on the rink and getting refunds for next season. Most of our team has taken an injury this season from the other teams playing basically full contact to our free agent team that's mostly fresh out of learn to play hockey.

Anyways I had a great game. I think I played well and was in position and making good plays. We had 9 skaters. Also the guy I was rotating with took 16 minutes of ice time in the second period and I was pretty pissed off about that.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Be sure to let everyone that works at the rink know exactly why the entire team is leaving!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
We lost our first playoff game last night against the team that finished first in the standings. We went down 3 early, then took it into a series of one goal leads that wouldn't stick until it finished at 6-6. It was a shootout loss, and it took 12 rounds of shooters to separate it. But I got another goal, so I'm starting to hit my spot. Had two redirects in front as well with one just going a few inches wide of the post and a third which came in hot and I almost didn't get to it. Took my first penalty too for tripping. Blew a tire and they fell over me and then got the goal on the shift when I came out of the box. We have double elimination in the league, so we'll get one more game still for sure, and if we win we'll play this same team again.

Then I went and ref'd two more games after and we had a good night facilitating some mid-division playoff hockey too. Had to call the least fun Interference because a guy picked up his opponents stick and tossed it. Some good fun games and we could let them play because they weren't going for the chippy stuff.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 17, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/NikosRaves/status/1647597244684673029

lol

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I feel like.... 1 shot might have landed there.

There's a lot of those charity games in my area, and they always stage fights for the fans.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Div 9 playoffs are serious business

https://streamable.com/ynai8r

e:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I feel like.... 1 shot might have landed there.

There's a lot of those charity games in my area, and they always stage fights for the fans.
The one shot that landed was right on the button, and they have a long history of fights and even a bench-clearing brawl in like 2014.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pleads posted:

Lucky he didn't get a minor for delay of game on that one too. Not for breaking the stick mind, but goalies aren't allowed to skate over to the bench to replace their stick, a teammate is supposed to bring it to them.

Personally, I would have just given him an earful and left him with the bill for a new goalie stick. Such a bonehead thing to do in beer league.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Pleads posted:

e:

The one shot that landed was right on the button, and they have a long history of fights and even a bench-clearing brawl in like 2014.

lol at that goalie

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Pleads posted:

Lol. It always cracks me up in beer league when dudes get so pissed they break a stick on the boards/net. Just of get drunk in the parking lot like the rest of us.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I did 2 hours of stick and puck today. I spent a lot of time working on my wrist shot, and it does seem better! And did a lot of edgework. My outside edges are still rear end, but I can see improvement. Just posting positive stuff. I went with a friend from my team and we work on deflecting and keeping the puck in along the boards. Just good fun stuff

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

RC Cola posted:

I did 2 hours of stick and puck today. I spent a lot of time working on my wrist shot, and it does seem better! And did a lot of edgework. My outside edges are still rear end, but I can see improvement. Just posting positive stuff. I went with a friend from my team and we work on deflecting and keeping the puck in along the boards. Just good fun stuff

Can you hire an illustrator to turn your last 12 months of progress into a children's book that I can purchase on Amazon and send to a few folks on my newbie team? Just the ones who complain about "not seeing any progress" over the last season but it's because they have not put any effort into practicing at all since our beginner classes finished.

Meanwhile, the people who attend every weekend stick n puck or the handful of guys who found mid-season powerskating lessons have shown leaps and bounds improvement that everyone comments on.

My biggest hockey pet peeve is people who just stand around watching the play, never trying to get involved in either the mental or physical aspect of the game. I'll take a newbie D who makes awful pinches and gets burned every time, over a guy who stands in the neutral zone the whole time and is never involved in offensive or defensive zone play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Similarly, I started skating at the same time as a friend and we’ve both had about the same amount of ice time. Just over 4 months now. ~5h/week now but formerly upwards of 10h/week when ODRs were open. Both doing noob hockey lessons. But I already do notice a difference in our skating ability that I think stems from willingness to learn and fear or lack thereof of falling.

I’ve tried making comments before if I see them struggling but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I also want to keep it a hobby so I’m treating our practice skating and stick and puck sessions like the gym. Meet up to do stuff but working on your own thing unless it’s passing drills. But otherwise I’m trying to improve and ask better skaters what they’re doing and try to emulate. I watch tutorials online as well. Friend brags about how much free time they have at work and how they can watch or read whatever but doesn’t seem to watch any tutorials or dedicate time to learning at all.

We’ll see what happens over the next couple years. I don’t want to discourage them and they can come to me if they want help. I’m here to enjoy things and not telling someone to git gud.

I think the only internally frustrating thing is seeing them do what they say is supposed to be outside edge work drills but it’s all inside edges from what I can tell. Their posture is all weird and top heavy too. I’ve mentioned before that it doesn’t look right. Don’t think they can really improve given this pushback to basic stuff. But they’re obstinate about it :shrug:

Anyway we’re both doing a power skating/conditioning clinic over the summer before the fall/winter league. I just like to try to improve on my skating so I get more out of lessons

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Similarly, I started skating at the same time as a friend and we’ve both had about the same amount of ice time. Just over 4 months now. ~5h/week now but formerly upwards of 10h/week when ODRs were open. Both doing noob hockey lessons. But I already do notice a difference in our skating ability that I think stems from willingness to learn and fear or lack thereof of falling.

I’ve tried making comments before if I see them struggling but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I also want to keep it a hobby so I’m treating our practice skating and stick and puck sessions like the gym. Meet up to do stuff but working on your own thing unless it’s passing drills. But otherwise I’m trying to improve and ask better skaters what they’re doing and try to emulate. I watch tutorials online as well. Friend brags about how much free time they have at work and how they can watch or read whatever but doesn’t seem to watch any tutorials or dedicate time to learning at all.

We’ll see what happens over the next couple years. I don’t want to discourage them and they can come to me if they want help. I’m here to enjoy things and not telling someone to git gud.

I think the only internally frustrating thing is seeing them do what they say is supposed to be outside edge work drills but it’s all inside edges from what I can tell. Their posture is all weird and top heavy too. I’ve mentioned before that it doesn’t look right. Don’t think they can really improve given this pushback to basic stuff. But they’re obstinate about it :shrug:

Anyway we’re both doing a power skating/conditioning clinic over the summer before the fall/winter league. I just like to try to improve on my skating so I get more out of lessons
I started skating at the same time as my wife who is picking it back up after skating as a kid and teen playing with her siblings and dad and taking a 20 year break.

She has the fear now. She went from better than me to worse in basically every aspect of hockey and that's because I go out to stick and pucks or public skates at least twice a week if not more + 2-3 games a week plus running a 5k a few times a week and watching videos to try to improve.
She goes to a game once a week and maybe a public skate as well. She crack pinged when I showed her a video of her in the women's league game she played 2 weeks ago. In her mind she was a much better skater than I. Now she's making time to go to public skates with me and I can already see improvement. She's specifically mentioning wanting to be better than me again as her motivation and I'm here for it.
Anyways the point is I guess that I think I've improved rapidly but I've also put a stupid amount of time into this hobby and it's probably the ADHD hyper fixation.

I would say my 3 biggest strengths in hockey are my speed, my endurance, and my hockey IQ. Years of watching hockey and playing NHL games has apparently ingrained into my head where to be. Now if only I had any sort of stick handling or shooting skills. Or the ability to cut tight turns.

Oh also since I'm a righty in hockey I've been doing all sorts of stuff to build up strength and control with my left hand. Basically trying to do everything left handed right now. I've been bouncing a tennis ball on a raquet lefty which is helping I think.

And I've been working on left foot soccer drills to improve my balance on my right leg.

Both seem to be working. Love hockey and love blogging about it on Somethingawful.com

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
For another data point, I don't do anything but play games. When I first started in 2009, age 24, I went to public skates a lot to teach myself basic skating but the first time I touched a puck on skates was at a private pickup I got invited to two months in.

Since then the vast majority of my ice time has been league games or private pickup games. I've done one stick time ever, though I did one of those Weekend Warriors camps in 2015.

I've definitely improved a ton over all those years, though I'm sure I would be better if I put in any extra effort besides playing a couple times a week. But I don't want to. And that's ok too. I'm about to play my 700th adult league game this weekend.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I made the mistake of feeling good in the morning and wanting to try out leg exercises…followed by hockey class at night. :v:

RC Cola posted:

Rivalry story

Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping happens. My friend is competitive but so far seems to be lax about hockey and skating in general. But they boast about their days playing as a kid, so maybe that’ll change. Similarly,I thrive when I have a good rival, and my friend not being better doesn’t push me to improve as much as it would otherwise. But I look at others in the class and mentally consider them rivals so I can match and exceed them.

Especially on stickhandling. I’m garbage with that, passing and shooting, but there’s this guy who can battle on the boards during drills very well. Holds their own in 2v1s

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Suited up for a stick and puck last night. After COVID re-sucking in 21, and then loving my knee up last spring it's been 2 years. I've only had one open skate this year so the rust was pretty thick. Oddly it was my right leg/skate that was more weak than the left side I had injured. Also I think after 10 years or so my laces have lost their usefulness as they kept loosening. Unfortunately my bag got some mold/mildew underneath from keeping in my garage. It's been in there less than a year, and I had it in my last garage for years. I guess this one is a bit more damp. I think the bag is older than my laces, and is too big anyway so probably going to replace it. Hopefully it will help fit in my brz as this was the first time trying to stuff my bag in the trunk and it was awkward.

Might look into new shoulder pads too. The ones I have feel a bit too bulky and look kinda too wide. The back is constantly fighting with the pad on the back of my new pants. I got them after taking a puck into the middle of my torso in 2013 or 14 and may have overcompensated.

My snapshot seems to have gone away. Not that I had much of one to begin with, but now it's a weak noodle shooting muffins. I wish I had a way to practice off ice but my living situation doesn't really support a way to.

But it was great to get back on the ice.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I finally decided to sacrifice one of my wooden sticks for off ice practice. Cut it down even shorter than my relative height on skates and it already feels better. Will consider the lie but I’m thinking I need to cut my ice stick now too.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Getting old sucks. Last few skates have felt horrible and I just don’t have the same recovery as when I was younger. Brutal spring allergies are on top of a long list of lingering old man problems - achy wrist probably arthritis, sore shoulder from a likely rotator cuff tear years ago, knee pain from being fat and old, hell even my bunionette on my right foot started to get worse again.

I am excited for the off season though so I can work out hard and address those issues without feeling wiped out when I skate.

Hockey is cool, so start now to enjoy it before you get old and tired.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Last game of the season, I got taken out as I was scoring, and I landed weird on my hand. Been a month+ and still hurts with certain movements. Probably should go check it out but :effort:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Been feeling sickly for a couple weeks now, finally got diagnosed with Mono three hours before game time last Sunday so had to call out of that game last minutes. Doctor said I can’t play contact sports since my spleen is enlarged due to the virus. Definitely skipping this weeks game too since I’m still always tired and my throat is all swollen, but anyone have experience coming back to hockey from mono? They say I should take it easy at first so I assume just sign up for the lowest level game and pretend there’s a speed limit on the ice but it’s just so frustrating not being able to get on the ice due to illness. Always assumed my first forced break from hockey would be from a real injury, not a disease normally seen in high schoolers.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had mono when I was 21 and I was in the hospital for 3 days and nights. Had a spinal tap and everything because they couldn't figure out what it was. Apparently my case was so crazy that it came up as a false negative.

I wouldn't gently caress around with it. Take your time. Listen to doctors.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I had mono when I was in high school and I basically slept for two weeks. It was rad.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Had it two years ago and was in bed and off work for four weeks. Apparently it's worse the older you are. Thought I would just sleep for a week or so but had the worst symptoms. Anorexia, worst sore throat of my life, vomiting for a couple days, and super high fever for weeks. Worst was the itchy skin I had the last week, bad enough where I don't think I actually slept. Would just lay in bed for an hour and then watch YouTube videos or something for an hour to try and get sleepy and just repeat. I think some of the symptoms were side effects from meds though. Once it was done though I bounced back to normal p quick.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Beginner C League I'm in matches teams to play every week, 1&2 v 3&4, 1&3 v 2&4, etc, so there's no offical jerseys. Just bring a dark and a white and (usually) find out which to wear when you arrive. I know for sure that my team is wearing white tomorrow, and the sweater finally arrived in the mail today:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sick breezers, I had my black pair from bantams for like 20 years until my bag got stolen

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Beginner C League I'm in matches teams to play every week, 1&2 v 3&4, 1&3 v 2&4, etc, so there's no offical jerseys. Just bring a dark and a white and (usually) find out which to wear when you arrive. I know for sure that my team is wearing white tomorrow, and the sweater finally arrived in the mail today:

That is the sickest uniform I have ever seen for beer league wow.

I feel like compared to everyone elses stories of Mono, I've had a wicked tame version in that I've just been tired and my tonsils got so swollen I couldn't sleep for 2 days but now just have a cough. Maybe years of showering in locker room bathrooms has boosted my immune system to the point that mono is nothing for me and I can return to hockey earlier than expected.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Everyone needs to stop letting Marchand lick them before and after getting on the ice. Hope the mono infected goon comes back healthy. Don’t push it too hard and let your body get back into it.

We have an elimination playoff game tonight. These playoffs are taking over a month. Hoping to keep my scoring going now that I’m figuring it out and not having to play against goalies from upper divisions frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
We did the eliminating tonight and it finished 5-3. If secondary assists were recorded I'd have had two tonight. I'm just happy that I'm getting the pucks where they need to be from the dirty areas and then getting in the way in front of the goalie so we can score. All in tonight I was +3 and had 3 decent shots and 2 more that I just missed the net on. Blocked a shot with my face too (cages ftw). Even better that it feels nice to play and we get still more bonus hockey in at least one more game to decide 1st and 2nd. If we win we have even one more game against the team that's getting moved up a division for the next season to decide it.