Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Rishi wouldn't even put the youth who fail maths in prison.

I would. Borstals for all of them. And then separate smaller prisons inside them for all the nonces that inevitably end up running the borstals.

Prisons all the way down.

The UK is literally already a prison, its so expensive you can never save enough to leave, and you have to live in a 1 bed studio flat that looks like its a russian gulag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Empire was quite fun when I went! I think it was only marred by my prissiness at camping and the fact that storm katie hit so my already miserable tent was made even worse!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1647895172481708036

:toot:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm watching Panorama and only just putting together that the anti-ULEZ protesters I saw in Trafalgar Sq. over the weekend are also overlapping (in some form of Diagram...) with :byodood: 15 MINUTE CITY :byodame: clown idiot dingbats.

I knew they looked pretty stupid but I couldn't quite figure out what their deal was at the time, in retrospect I should have done more pointing and laughing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

*crying* it's... it's beautiful

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

https://twitter.com/soapyhnnh/status/1648033009306595338?t=1wMhJAZSLKZ4gh55llz7FQ&s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skeletome posted:

Empire was quite fun when I went!

-every poster in this thread's ancestors

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

overlapping (in some form of Diagram...)
Just Stop Euler

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Finally snooker is interesting.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Camrath posted:

See I keep telling myself I’ll try it out, then go onto one of the faction fb groups and see people being like ‘well, that hood is too late-14th century when the brief is early’ and lose all interest and desire. :p

…as if I haven’t literally today dropped 300 quid on an accurate custom tailored 95th rifles uniform for a Sharpe Larp at the end of may. Tbh I’m not sure how well I’d do at a fest larp these days- I mostly just do Eyelarp filmsim and one sci-fi system (Orion Sphere, which is awesome and everyone should come).

Oh poo poo i almlst missed larpchat.

You get what you put into Empire -I used to go religiously, and Marlstrom prior to that, but if you want to get ahead in the political game there is so much exegetical effort it gets exhausting imo. Much easier to treat it as a fun social fest eith beer in a field. I was a cardinal for a little bit many years ago and it was rough.

People are weird about kit in all games, I find myself more and more these days wanting games I can just show up to not having crafted or done loads of IC correspondence beforehand. Again I have so little free time these days and as I get older I realise a lot of the very comfortable oxbridge larpers I became friends with do just have a lot of free time and money, and it doesn't matter to them if a weekend destroys them physically and emotionally for weeks afterwards because they are very secure.

I now just occasionally go to a 40k serial game or whatever sci-fi obe-shots take my eye, where I can just pull an archetype off the shelf and look good in mostly milsurp

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Just Stop Oil are an op, right?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Green Wing posted:

who cares at this point, would it make any difference if they were?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Microplastics posted:

Did you just post an image on something awful and then attribute it :laugh:

Yes, I'm a wokey woke polite person :smugdon:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Green Wing posted:

set up by and run entirely by security services? nah

monitored, infiltrated and steered by security services? aye probably

but as the other poster said, what does it matter

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yay, larp chat. Curious Pastimes in a couple of weeks, I am going to spend most of it hiding in bushes and jumping out at people, because that's just the kind of game I like to play.

I am currently in the middle of buying my first home and am less stressed about moving than I am about still being stuck in a rat infested shithole with no insulation and too many people and also it's the reason I decided to buy in the first place, so it's been really hard to get in the mood for spending a weekend hauling around the absolutely stupid amount of gear my character has, but I really need a solid weekend away from this place.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I went to empire once and did not have a lot of fun at it. For starters I was expecting less mud, more available food, less expenses and a bit of a better intro to a character rather than "heres a field, have fun".

That and the fact that politics, field stuff and everything else seems like a distant second to a lot of folks. If I had a character that I needed to play as, or could have fun with, sure but the entire idea of a lot of it was very much not my cup of tea.

I want to do a Glorantha Larp at some point, at least that I'd know the lore for!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

an annus horribilis for horrible anuses

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Josef bugman posted:

I went to empire once and did not have a lot of fun at it. For starters I was expecting less mud, more available food, less expenses and a bit of a better intro to a character rather than "heres a field, have fun".

That and the fact that politics, field stuff and everything else seems like a distant second to a lot of folks. If I had a character that I needed to play as, or could have fun with, sure but the entire idea of a lot of it was very much not my cup of tea.

I want to do a Glorantha Larp at some point, at least that I'd know the lore for!

"Welcome to the Vithelan Isles!"

"gently caress"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Green Wing posted:

As a counter point, I see no evidence they are an OP.
People seem to argue its a means to bring in stricter policing laws. As long as the Government has the support of its base (which is would in this case without Extinction rebellion or just stop oil existing) its done whatever its liked.

I do though agree with the other posters, It doesn't matter really matter if they are or aren't. Well except if they are and they managed to get caught, no serious ramifications would happen of course, but it would be very funny.

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007
Owen Jones did a thing! , in that he did an interview with Matt Zarb-Cousin, who used to be in the Corbyn system, then ran RLBs campaign, but is now a member of the Greens (Both of them, I'm pretty sure, still want Labour back though; Matt's positive-ish about the Greens, but of course he would be)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdYg-NWhl1I

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Green Wing posted:

Oh poo poo i almlst missed larpchat.

You get what you put into Empire -I used to go religiously, and Marlstrom prior to that, but if you want to get ahead in the political game there is so much exegetical effort it gets exhausting imo. Much easier to treat it as a fun social fest eith beer in a field. I was a cardinal for a little bit many years ago and it was rough.

People are weird about kit in all games, I find myself more and more these days wanting games I can just show up to not having crafted or done loads of IC correspondence beforehand. Again I have so little free time these days and as I get older I realise a lot of the very comfortable oxbridge larpers I became friends with do just have a lot of free time and money, and it doesn't matter to them if a weekend destroys them physically and emotionally for weeks afterwards because they are very secure.

I now just occasionally go to a 40k serial game or whatever sci-fi obe-shots take my eye, where I can just pull an archetype off the shelf and look good in mostly milsurp

Oh, if you do Death Unto Darkness we definitely know some of the same people. Though tbh I don’t think I’m more than one degree removed from any goons who’ve been in a larp field.

If you like sci fi you should totally try out Orion Sphere- it’s a cool game, about 100-120 players at the moment with a really rich background and (most importantly to me!) spaceship bridge simulators as a major game mechanic.

I play in the space-fash faction, which naturally consists almost entirely of leftist LGBT types lol.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yay, larp chat. Curious Pastimes in a couple of weeks, I am going to spend most of it hiding in bushes and jumping out at people, because that's just the kind of game I like to play.

I am currently in the middle of buying my first home and am less stressed about moving than I am about still being stuck in a rat infested shithole with no insulation and too many people and also it's the reason I decided to buy in the first place, so it's been really hard to get in the mood for spending a weekend hauling around the absolutely stupid amount of gear my character has, but I really need a solid weekend away from this place.

I may well try one of the summer events at CP this year as I do have a vague hankering for fantasy stuff- all I do these days is either real world themed (western, pirate, an amazing golden age of Hollywood/pulp adventure game last year, the aforementioned up-coming Shlarpe) or sci-fi.

I also may turn up peddling fudge at a few games. People want me to trade IC at several systems..

Josef bugman posted:

Tbh aside from the kit nazis you’ve hit a lot of things that also turn me off from Empire.

All of us should decide on a system, turn up and rock some sort of monster-munch themed cult or something of similar cringe levels.

Edit: Oh yeah, also if any of you go to Uk Gaming Expo this year I’ll be helping to run the spaceship bridge sim there. You should totally try it out. :)

Camrath fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 17, 2023

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

"Welcome to the Vithelan Isles!"

"gently caress"

I mean the Vith islands are more like "what if the Pacific but with more Gods and even more cool birds"

That and, well, sometimes it's better to have a smaller thing where you can get an intro to everyone and not have a sobbing meltdown because your car got caught in the mud after the first time doing driving in 3 years and your operating on 5 hours of sleep.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 17, 2023

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

an annus horribilis for horrible anuses

There is a thread about this running on PistonHeads at the moment (a forum that is, true to type, crammed with perpetually angry boomer small business owners who also have BTL portfolios). There are multiple posters saying that they're sick of all this 'persecution' they get as landlords, how they've gotta jump through all these dang legal hurdles just to evict someone, and how it's outrageous that they're expected to actually put in effort and risk to realise a return on their investment.

Plus the expected 'our whole society is biased against landlords...we're the only minority it's OK to hate' and 'if landlords aren't around to provide houses to people how would people get houses??' stuff.

It's such a great window into the psyche of the Stock Tory Voter (and the demographic that Starmer is apparently prostrating himself towards) but it's like a window into a nuclear reactor - look too long and you'll melt.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just Stop Oil feels like what happens when the tiktok generation protests. As in, it is protests in a form literally optimised to make a good tiktok video and there is no thought given into anything beyond that or whether in fact tiktok video views is a good metric to be chasing for societal change.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Just Stop Oil feels like what happens when the tiktok generation protests. As in, it is protests in a form literally optimised to make a good tiktok video and there is no thought given into anything beyond that or whether in fact tiktok video views is a good metric to be chasing for societal change.

Has any protest not accompanied by violence achieved much in the last 30 odd years at this point?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaw dropping stuff…

https://twitter.com/conzmoleman/status/1647794410858348545?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

She sounds like Keith.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Josef bugman posted:

Has any protest not accompanied by violence achieved much in the last 30 odd years at this point?

Its just outside your stated window but the Estonian singing revolution.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Her company did better during covid than before it (like many others) so all of her excuses are real dumb.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Icelandic revolution was very recent. That was peaceful and worked.

quote:

Protesters were calling for the resignation of government officials and for new elections to be held.[7] The protests stopped for the most part with the resignation of the old government led by the right-wing Independence Party.[8] A new left-wing government was formed after elections in late April 2009. It was supportive of the protestors and initiated a reform process that included the judicial prosecution before the Landsdómur of the former Prime Minister Geir Haarde.

Several referendums were held to ask the citizens about whether to pay the Icesave debt of their banks. From a complex and unique process, 25 common people, of no political party, were to be elected to form an Icelandic Constitutional Assembly that would write a new Constitution of Iceland. After some legal problems, a Constitutional Council, which included those people, presented a Constitution Draft to the Iceland Parliament on 29 July 2011.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 17, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The rose revolution, Georgia

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Peaceful protest can work, but generally has to have over-whelming public support. To the point that "if you don't go, we can and will make you" is pretty apparent to those in power.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

fuctifino posted:

The Icelandic revolution was very recent. That was peaceful and worked.

Great, any nation state with something larger than a population of a medium sized city?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The rose revolution, Georgia

Like it seems as if there was defo violence associated with these and also consisted of a fair amount of international pressure aimed at preventing massacres. Something we are unlikely to see in the UK, and even then it still took much more of the population than you could get to do anything at this point.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

apparently you need 3.5% of the population. so like... 2.5million people ish here.

Harvard posted:

Nonviolent protests are twice as likely to succeed as armed conflicts – and those engaging a threshold of 3.5% of the population have never failed to bring about change.

https://carrcenter.hks.harvard.edu/...about%20change.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Green Wing posted:

Again I have so little free time these days and as I get older I realise a lot of the very comfortable oxbridge larpers I became friends with do just have a lot of free time and money, and it doesn't matter to them if a weekend destroys them physically and emotionally for weeks afterwards because they are very secure.

I wish it wasn't, but fest LARP is an expensive hobby with like, a million hidden costs. Generally I just crew, because it's free and I get fed for free, but even then I have to sort out transport, a tent, kit, etc etc. I'm worried that the increasing cost of living is going to eventually strangle Empire, even though they're still growing in numbers. They've had to put up prices again.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I got turned off Curious Pastimes after one event when I met a character called "Mister Fu" who was a white guy doing a stereotypical racist "ah so" asian impression.

I understand he's no longer there, but it really soured it for me. The whole vibe felt really old school in an unpleasant way. That and the fact that I don't want to be stabbed when I go to the loos.

Alchenar posted:

It's disruptive, and it's aimed at young people who will presumably (though increasingly are less likely to) grow older and become voters. So idk, better than nothing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Quote is not edit.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

apparently you need 3.5% of the population. so like... 2.5million people ish here.

https://carrcenter.hks.harvard.edu/...about%20change.

That part seems to increase easily. How many people protested the Iraq war, and how much difference did it make?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If enough people stopped complying with the current system then it would eventually collapse. The problem is that whatever system would replace it in the UK would just be even harsher fascism and more authoritarianism.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Camrath posted:

All of us should decide on a system, turn up and rock some sort of monster-munch themed cult or something of similar cringe levels.

Some people I know are running a new British-themed post-apocalyptic system called The Gritlands, and as one of the guys has Oxo cube armour you could absolutely do a Monster Munch cult.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I got turned off Curious Pastimes after one event when I met a character called "Mister Fu" who was a white guy doing a stereotypical racist "ah so" asian impression.

I understand he's no longer there, but it really soured it for me. The whole vibe felt really old school in an unpleasant way. That and the fact that I don't want to be stabbed when I go to the loos.

Yeah, those are definitely artefacts of another time, it's still a pretty white-rear end system of course but a lot more inclusive than it ever was; there's a number of visible trans people there and they've been making a lot of effort the last few years to make the events more accessible for people with disabilities.

The system is much more geared towards cooperation now and facilities are fully OOC too; there's kids nowadays who'll never know the thrill of random muggings or your camp getting steamrollered by three other factions. They don't know they're born these days. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
In the Times:

https://archive.is/K1beL

quote:

Tory HQ sacks cleaners to boost elections war chest

But wait, what's this? (My bolding)

quote:

The Conservative source said: “I’ve not seen Labour’s new offices but as I understand it they’re massive and exciting and the switch from that to whatever it is we’re doing now, it’s a dreadful signal, and I’ve heard businesses love Rachel Reeves. I mean, ultimately, if it came to it, Rishi could just put his hand in his pocket.”