Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

One thing that hit me earlier today: Why did Picard not know about Jack? I don't mean in-universe, I mean in writing terms. Would it have changed anything if they were just estranged? In fact, I think it would've made the one theme Terry's clearly going for sing better. Jack told his old man to gently caress off when he was a teenager, went off to do outreach with his mum, and then the Vadic stuff happens, and now they're forced together for the first time in years and have to address each other's issues. And especially Picard then sees how his baggage has impacted Jack, leading into his ultimate baggage with the Borg having become the sin of the father.

...How are the Borg Picard's fault though?

Like what did he do to cause this situation at all, except be abducted and mindfucked by an uncaring horrific hive of cyborgs? Like what did he do to cause the Borg?

Guy was just doing his job, Q introduced him to the Borg early so the Federation had any chance of beating them at all, as they were already destroying colonies in the Neutral Zone, and then he got abducted off his own bridge. He didn't provoke them.

Like Jean-Luc has done some lovely things but the Borg are absolutely not his fault. If anything Janeway theoretically provoked them way more. Unless they state somehow Picard specific actions hosed with the Borg (like again, Hugh) he's pretty faultless on that one.

Wrath of Khan- Kirk DID directly affect Khan, and that's why it's way more powerful, combined with the comparison of Kirk and Khan's sons and their upbringing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TerminalRaptor posted:

Maybe we can get that ship of evolved dinosaurs back too.

Tuvok: Dinosaur Hunter

I love the Voth and will defend them over a lot of other things in Voyager: they are a goofy as gently caress idea and also loving Dinosaurs, and that's pretty awesome

The Voth are fun, a lot of Voyager ideas are fun, they just have little development on the interesting ideas so they fall a flat.

I would take a Voth season over this poo poo

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 17, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Voyager's big feature, which did work well sometimes, was that it wasn't afraid to just do something just batshit weird and absurd.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
There should have been a shot during the Borg takeover that canonically established Harry Kim as the only unassimilated Ensign left in Starfleet.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

TulliusCicero posted:

Like what did he do to cause this situation at all, except be abducted and mindfucked by an uncaring horrific hive of cyborgs? Like what did he do to cause the Borg?

That his emotional arch, the PTSD of doing something completely out of his control but knowing he was the face of it and his memories and knowledge helped the borg.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SpartanIvy posted:

There should have been a shot during the Borg takeover that canonically established Harry Kim as the only unassimilated Ensign left in Starfleet.

:lol:

MikeJF posted:

Voyager's big feature, which did work well sometimes, was that it wasn't afraid to just do something just batshit weird and absurd.

Yeah Voyager was many things but it definitely took a shot into the wierd sometimes

STO has been successful at taking a lot of Voyager's initial ideas and developing them into interesting plots/ concepts.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 17, 2023

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

MikeJF posted:

Bride of Chaotica! is one of my favourite episodes, because it’s dumb as hell but everyone leaned into it being dumb as hell and just went full ham. Janeway has to be Queen of the Spider people? Fine, she’s going to do it and she’s going to chew the scenery while she’s at it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

See Course: Oblivion. Which I also really like, as dark and hosed up as it is.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

apatheticman posted:

That his emotional arch, the PTSD of doing something completely out of his control but knowing he was the face of it and his memories and knowledge helped the borg.

I get that and in Family it was well done, but dude needs to forgive himself.

For gently caress sake man you were a victim of one of the worst violations imaginable, get some therapy and forgive yourself :(

I was specifically addressing the idea that the Borg are somehow Picard's legacy or sin: like no? Everything the Borg do is not Picard's fault. The Borg are doing what they do because that's all they know how to do, Queen lusting after Picard aside.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 17, 2023

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Voyager wasn't afraid to do weird every now and then. It's sin was never having lasting consequences for a show about a ship on a long (epic) journey.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

I get that and in Family is was well done, but dude needs to forgive himself.

For gently caress sake man you were a victim of one of the worst violations imaginable, get some therapy and forgive yourself :(

I was soecifically addressing the idea that the Borg are somehow Picard's legacy or sin: like no? Everything the Borg do is not Picard's fault. The Borg are doing what they do because that's all they know how to do, Queen lusting after Picard aside.

In fairness I was more getting that his trauma over the Borg is his legacy, not the Borg themself.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TerminalRaptor posted:

Voyager wasn't afraid to do weird every now and then. It's sin was never having lasting consequences for a show about a ship on a long (epic) journey.

Year of Hell loving owned and should have been the show

Like a wierd Frankenstein's monster Intrepid with various other ship parts and Voyager carving out alliances with Delta Quadrant powers.

Man Voyager might be the biggest waste of potential in Trek for just "amazing idea squandered"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Year of Hell loving owned and should have been the show

Like a wierd Frankenstein's monster Intrepid with various other ship parts and Voyager carving out alliances with Delta Quadrant powers.

Man Voyager might be the biggest waste of potential in Trek for just "amazing idea squandered"

I don't know if it was an actual studio pitch or someone's "how it should have been" fanfiction, but it was suggested at one point that Voyager would become basically the Battlestar Galactica of a fleet of Delta Quadrant refugees or folks who just want a better life somewhere else and thus the fleet becomes its own little mobile Federation in the Delta Quadrant after a while. But there'd have to be real episode-to-episode continuity to pull that off, even if they didn't go full serialization with it.

It would have made some of those "illusory shortcut home" episodes like Hope and Fear have a little more weight behind them. Because then you can have a moral dilemma over whether everyone makes it to the Alpha Quadrant, or just Voyager. And then rather than just destroy the Equinox and never mention it again, you can turn it into the Pegasus from BSG and just have it there in the background of the fleet once you deal with Ransom.

angerbeet posted:

Bride of Chaotica! is one of my favourite episodes, because it’s dumb as hell but everyone leaned into it being dumb as hell and just went full ham. Janeway has to be Queen of the Spider people? Fine, she’s going to do it and she’s going to chew the scenery while she’s at it.

It actually makes me kind of sad that Chaotica didn't become the Moriarty of Voyager. Could you imagine Janeway having to square off against a self-aware Doctor Chaotica who still thinks and acts like he's a 1930s sci-fi serial villain, only with access to 24th century knowledge and technology? Gaaaaawd.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't know if it was an actual studio pitch or someone's "how it should have been" fanfiction, but it was suggested at one point that Voyager would become basically the Battlestar Galactica of a fleet of Delta Quadrant refugees or folks who just want a better life somewhere else and thus the fleet becomes its own little mobile Federation in the Delta Quadrant after a while. But there'd have to be real episode-to-episode continuity to pull that off, even if they didn't go full serialization with it.

It would have made some of those "illusory shortcut home" episodes like Hope and Fear have a little more weight behind them. Because then you can have a moral dilemma over whether everyone makes it to the Alpha Quadrant, or just Voyager. And then rather than just destroy the Equinox and never mention it again, you can turn it into the Pegasus from BSG and just have it there in the background of the fleet once you deal with Ransom.

iirc that was the idea Ron Moore floated to the Voyager writer's room in the month or so he was there before he gave up on Trek

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

It actually makes me kind of sad that Chaotica didn't become the Moriarty of Voyager. Could you imagine Janeway having to square off against a self-aware Doctor Chaotica who still thinks and acts like he's a 1930s sci-fi serial villain, only with access to 24th century knowledge and technology? Gaaaaawd.

This idea is awesome: I love the idea of a mini Federation flotilla wandering about the Delta Quadrant. That's such a cool idea

gently caress me the Executives on Voyager were extra stupid about that show

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

nine-gear crow posted:

It might be a little too Lost In Space but I’d want him to never actually update the useless ‘Satan’s Robot,’ because it’s already “perfect” or created by his grandmother or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

angerbeet posted:

It might be a little too Lost In Space but I’d want him to never actually update the useless ‘Satan’s Robot,’ because it’s already “perfect” or created by his grandmother or something.

Or just stick with what happens in Bride of Chaotica! and Satan's Robot has a complete face turn that sticks and he's just a part of Captain Proton's crew from there onward.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Yea Voyager had like 2 good episodes per series where it just went mad. Year of Hell, Chaotica, Living Witness, that sorta stuff

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I wanted weirder darker serialized voyager when I was younger. Now it's like a dumb refreshing trekky breeze.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

External Organs posted:

I wanted weirder darker serialized voyager when I was younger. Now it's like a dumb refreshing trekky breeze.

(In unison) “Warp particles!”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

External Organs posted:

Voyager is the hard seltzer of Trek, and that’s okay.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

External Organs posted:

Dark and serialized would be pushing it especially since we've seen that at its worst now with crap like Discovery and Picard, but I wouldn't mind a version of Voyager that at least treated its characters with the same level of respect that Deep Space Nine did.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

angerbeet posted:

(In unison) “Warp particles!”

Take this cheese to sickbay!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

TulliusCicero posted:

Ummmm he didn’t even try to fight his assimilation with the power of love and friendship like Alison Pill did.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Falcorum posted:

Take this cheese to sickbay!

Was there even coffee in that nebula?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pops Mgee posted:

Ummmm he didn’t even try to fight his assimilation with the power of love and friendship like Alison Pill did.

I didn't watch season 2 but every time I see this, I just picture her in Scott Pilgrim banging her drumsticks together.

"WE ARE SEX BOB-BORG!"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

TerminalRaptor posted:

If anything the format lent itself to having episodic weird one-off stories. Every week is a new, never-before-explored region, and whatever wacky poo poo they find can be safely left behind and ignored for the rest of time once they move on.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There’s just no other captain who could pull off fighting giant viruses with a bandolier of hyposprays. Is Picard going to do that? No.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

angerbeet posted:

There’s just no other captain who could pull off fighting giant viruses with a bandolier of hyposprays. Is Picard going to do that? No.

Kirk absolutely would. I think you forget just how batshit a lot of TOS was.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

TulliusCicero posted:

I love the Voth and will defend them over a lot of other things in Voyager: they are a goofy as gently caress idea and also loving Dinosaurs, and that's pretty awesome

The Voth are fun, a lot of Voyager ideas are fun, they just have little development on the interesting ideas so they fall a flat.

I would take a Voth season over this poo poo

The Voth are back to reclaim their home planet. Great start, hard to crap up established cannon, as many battles as you want. I would watch that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I didn't watch season 2 but every time I see this, I just picture her in Scott Pilgrim banging her drumsticks together.

"WE ARE SEX BOB-BORG!"

"Jean-Luc, if your life had a face, I would punch it."

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

CaptainSkinny posted:

The Voth are back to reclaim their home planet. Great start, hard to crap up established cannon, as many battles as you want. I would watch that.

And since theyre clearly not afraid to snag things from STO, we break out the laser dinosaurs.

The mothership will have a velociraptor with pilot goggles on as the pilot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pyroi posted:

And since theyre clearly not afraid to snag things from STO, we break out the laser dinosaurs.

Dr Dinosaur?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Pyroi posted:

All of the humans are assimilated at the moment, only cetacean ops can save the day.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CaptainSkinny posted:

Honestly thinking about it you can totally make this idea work: the Theocratic Voth find out about the Transwarp conduit Borg tech from a previously unknown probe from Voyager, they are advanced as gently caress technologically so they figure it out and warp their way into the Alpha Quadrant.

...except instead of being like the Intrepid lost in space while being Federation Boy scouts, the Voth just start taking shots at anything that moves and start building a new empire. Hell they want to destroy Earth because it proves their entire system of belief wrong, and the Higher ups in Voth society can't deal with that.

Make Amanda Plummer a Lizard Lady you loving cowards

CaptainSkinny posted:

All of the humans are assimilated at the moment, only cetacean ops can save the day.

Lmao if a Voth invasion saved Earth from the Borg at the exact moment

That would actually be funny

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wierd question: why would the Borg Queen make moms happy?

Are moms a fan of Alice Krige?

Terry you are such a wierd boy

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
All mothers love the Borg-Queen, studies show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
She's a strong independent cyborg who don't need no man (except Picard... and also the creepy maternal/sexual thing she had for Seven)

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

"Alice, for the next take could you say "Tidy your room Terry!" in a stern voice?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

Wierd question: why would the Borg Queen make moms happy?

Are moms a fan of Alice Krige?

Terry you are such a wierd boy

I suspect he was trying to even out the "Not your daddy's Star Trek" promotional phrase from earlier, which followed Enterprise execs justifying certain things like gel decon by saying only young men watch Star Trek, in which case he would have really meant "fans of TNG/VOY are going to love that the Borg are back"