Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It's hateful as gently caress and I don't think it even matters where it's made...liberal lies and all that. He can always start his own if it keeps rolling. This guy is going to get rich off of this even if it dies early.

The right-wing is literally just a grift train.

This is the most important part. Right-wing media has created an audience that cannot learn what it does not want to learn. Anyone who tries to explain "The same company made both beers" will be dismissed outright, no matter how "Cool" they are among other right-wingers, and thus the grift can continue indefinitely.

It would be funny if not for all the people that are gonna die because of this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's possible they end up using a substandard product instead of just repackaging Bud Light, it'd be funny if people die from drinking the anti-woke beer.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

DarklyDreaming posted:

Is this the future of advertising? Make an add campaign that pisses off chuds and then sell the same product at ridiculous markup with a red hat on it?

I kinda it doubt it. For a MegaCorp like Anheuser-Busch the extra profit wouldn't even be a rounding error on the balance sheet. The market for this is just too tiny to be worth their time. It's more likely the dude just bought up leftover stock from the local brewery cheap without realizing it was an AB brewery.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I feel like the initial success of Hogwarts Legacy - if I recall the numbers right - might lend some credence to the idea that the fascists will performatively buy products they might not otherwise, but all the data - unless there have been recent developments - has consistently shown that the number of fascists who will both claim to boycott a product and actually not buy it is pretty insignificant.

Fascism may be able to make people buy something they might not otherwise, but it seems pretty impotent at making them not buy something.

Granted, there's also not been a dedicated, and viable, chud-alternative to most things so far besides social media, and most fascists are still in the closest enough that 4chan/gab/parler are a bridge too far. Plus laziness.

But yeah. Didn't comicsgate spawn a bunch of fascist and fascist-adjacent studios? And didn't they all basically bomb or fail to make a difference? So it seems for some media even the presence of politically-aligned alternatives doesn't make a difference. The 4channers may complain that they are being forced to endure a black character with a speaking role, but they will still read X-Men rather than some fascist alternative.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I feel like the initial success of Hogwarts Legacy - if I recall the numbers right - might lend some credence to the idea that the fascists will performatively buy products they might not otherwise, but all the data - unless there have been recent developments - has consistently shown that the number of fascists who will both claim to boycott a product and actually not buy it is pretty insignificant.

Fascism may be able to make people buy something they might not otherwise, but it seems pretty impotent at making them not buy something.

Granted, there's also not been a dedicated, and viable, chud-alternative to most things so far besides social media, and most fascists are still in the closest enough that 4chan/gab/parler are a bridge too far. Plus laziness.

But yeah. Didn't comicsgate spawn a bunch of fascist and fascist-adjacent studios? And didn't they all basically bomb or fail to make a difference? So it seems for some media even the presence of politically-aligned alternatives doesn't make a difference. The 4channers may complain that they are being forced to endure a black character with a speaking role, but they will still read X-Men rather than some fascist alternative.

Hogwarts Legacy's success has nothing to do with the attempted boycott or anti-boycott and everything to do with the average normie harry potter fan not engaging with any of that online controversy

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Angry_Ed posted:

Well, gotta distract from the fact that they might indeed be buying their MAGA Beer from ABInBev

https://twitter.com/kennedytcooper/status/1646568900770029568

20 dollars for a sixpack?

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

In my experience, if AB lets you put your own label on a beer, then they are selling you Natty Light. A lot of bars and restaurants have their own house beer like "Jim's Special" or some crap, and its just natty light with a different tap on it.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Vichan posted:

Plus shipping!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vichan posted:

Sax Mortar posted:

Plus shipping!

Freedom isn't free

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Might as well just find a local *non woke* beer for those shipping prices.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Tarezax posted:

Hogwarts Legacy's success has nothing to do with the attempted boycott or anti-boycott and everything to do with the average normie harry potter fan not engaging with any of that online controversy

Oh it would be a hit without that. But I seem to recall having heard some of the sales data and playtime data suggested there was a small but statistically noticeable bump of folks who bought it or pre-ordered and barely played? I might well have misremembered.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh it would be a hit without that. But I seem to recall having heard some of the sales data and playtime data suggested there was a small but statistically noticeable bump of folks who bought it or pre-ordered and barely played? I might well have misremembered.

It had a good opening but didn't really take off. I was seeing ads for it on TV so it's no wonder people bought it

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Regarding Hogwarts Legacy, it’s worth remembering that it’s currently only available on current gen consoles. It’ll probably see another high round of sales figures when it releases on last gen consoles in May, so may still be a little early to say it didn’t take off.

We’ll see though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think saying it didn't take off is pretty wild. It sold tremendously well. 12M units in 2 weeks is an absolute runaway success that only a few other games this year will achieve.

https://twitter.com/bogorad222/status/1647487577128157184?s=20

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
This is the same group of people who thought J.K. Rowling was literally teaching children evil sorcery 15 years ago. Without some really hard data to back it up, the claim that God-Fearing maga patriots deliberately bought anything Harry Potter branded just to own The Trans is insane

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Also it's normal for a lot of people to buy a game and then not play it or play it very little and then drop it. Look at Steam achievement stats if you want some data.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Vaginaface posted:

This is the same group of people who thought J.K. Rowling was literally teaching children evil sorcery 15 years ago. Without some really hard data to back it up, the claim that God-Fearing maga patriots deliberately bought anything Harry Potter branded just to own The Trans is insane

Holy poo poo, that's a great point. I hadn't even thought of that.

It's similar to how much they hated Roseanne Barr for loving up the anthem 30 years ago but now she's the poster child for the "Cancel this, bitches" movement.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a great point. I hadn't even thought of that.

It's similar to how much they hated Roseanne Barr for loving up the anthem 30 years ago but now she's the poster child for the "Cancel this, bitches" movement.

No, I think the poster was expressing skepticism that MAGA chuds actually accounted for most of those Hogwarts Legacy sales.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
thats how I took it.

like a sideways application of the logic razor of "not deliberate malicious"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
I mean I doubt it was a hot ticket for the red hats either, but in addition to the transphobia there was also the barely concealed anti-Semitic "goblin blood libel" plot arc, so more than a few things to speak to that bunch.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Zwabu posted:

No, I think the poster was expressing skepticism that MAGA chuds actually accounted for most of those Hogwarts Legacy sales.

RIght, I just meant that I forgot that for a good while these same people were banning Rowling's books and poo poo. Not that they were buying up the HL game in droves.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t find it even slightly unbelievable that the American right wing could love rowling in the present despite being the same people who accused her of devil worship 20 years ago. They don’t do the things they do out of a need for logical consistency or obligation to principle.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Onion already summed it all up
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1627729871454539779

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Given how well they've been doing, I can't imagine Dominion settling for less than what they demanded at the onset.

https://twitter.com/GretchenCarlson/status/1647782311469936646

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anno posted:

I think saying it didn't take off is pretty wild. It sold tremendously well. 12M units in 2 weeks is an absolute runaway success that only a few other games this year will achieve.

It was made by Avalanche Games, the same studio that did the Just Cause games and the magnificent Mad Max game, so I have no doubt that the game mechanics and gameplay is solid.

E: wrong

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 17, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nope, different Avalanche studio.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well I learned something today, then!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Whoops

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1647611077591482369

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Given how well they've been doing, I can't imagine Dominion settling for less than what they demanded at the onset.

https://twitter.com/GretchenCarlson/status/1647782311469936646

Wait isn't she a former fox host who made big bucks shilling their lies for years when Obama was president? She's a Democrat now?(probably always was)

What a loving rear end in a top hat.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

VitalSigns posted:

Wait isn't she a former fox host who made big bucks shilling their lies for years when Obama was president? She's a Democrat now?(probably always was)

What a loving rear end in a top hat.

She just hates Roger Ailes.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Burning_Monk posted:

She just hates Roger Ailes.

Can't imagine why

EDIT: for those who don't want to click links (and/or might have forgotten the distant past of 2016), Gretchen Carlson is the woman who was fired from Fox News because she wouldn't gently caress Roger Ailes. She is essentially the catalyst for his downfall, and a significant contributor to the MeToo movement afterwards.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 17, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The judge on the Dominion case confirmed that jury selection will go on tomorrow as scheduled, so if there were any discussions about a settlement nothing has happened yet.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1647952270322016256?s=20

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/17/media/dominion-fox-news-allegations/index.html
Here are the 20 specific Fox broadcasts and tweets Dominion says were defamatory

This ones my favorite

"Key false quote: “We have sworn witness testimony of why the software was designed. It was designed to rig elections … We have so much evidence, I feel like it’s coming in through a fire hose,” Powell said.
“Wow,” Bartiromo said."

Also, "I dare Dominion to sue me"

"Key false quote: “Every outlet in the country, they go, ‘Mike Lindell, there’s no evidence, and he’s making fraudulent statements.’ No. I have the evidence. I dare people to put it on. I dare Dominion to sue me because then it will get out faster. So, this is – you know, they don’t – they don’t want to talk about it,” Lindell said.
“No, they don’t,” Carlson said."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Headline: Man Who Got Sued

Quote: "What are you going to do, sue me???"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I AM GRANDO posted:

I shouldn’t be surprised that the Missing 411 guy is a chud, but for some reason I am.

Missing 411 is a series about how sometimes people who go into the woods go missing and are later found dead but sometimes found alive and injured or starving. He feels there must be something mysterious going on because they’re mostly kids and old people, but sometimes it’s healthy adults. Sometimes he thinks it’s bigfoot and sometimes he thinks it’s aliens, and sometimes he doesn’t say what he thinks it is.

I shouldn’t be surprised because the American right is just another grift full of moron rubes.

David Paulides probably is considering his career. He loves to talk about how he was a police officer but what he fails to mention is that his specialization was busting gay men for solicitation in public restrooms. I think there were accusations that he wrongly arrested and accused people of this but his career had very little to do with finding missing people or whatever.

I think he's ultimately just an apolitical grifter because he's notorious for omitting information and being a whiny, confrontational rear end in a top hat with everyone.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OgNar posted:

This ones my favorite

"Key false quote: “We have sworn witness testimony of why the software was designed. It was designed to rig elections … We have so much evidence, I feel like it’s coming in through a fire hose,” Powell said.

"Sworn Witness Testimony" is doing a lot of work there:

quote:

What was the evidence for these far-fetched claims that Powell sent to Bartiromo the day before the broadcast? An email entitled “Election Fraud Info” Powell had received from a “source” which the author herself describes as “pretty wackadoodle.” This email—also received by [former Fox host Lou] Dobbs—alleged Dominion was the “one common thread” in the “voting irregularities in a number of states.” In addition to promoting lies about Dominion, the sender claimed that Justice Scalia “was purposefully killed at the annual Bohemian Grove camp…during a weeklong human hunting expedition,” and that former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes (who died in 2017) and Rupert Murdoch “secretly huddle most days to determine how best to portray Mr. Trump as badly as possible.” The author continued: “Who am I? And how do I know all of this?…I’ve had the strangest dreams since I was a little girl….I was internally decapitated, and yet, I live….The Wind tells me I’m a ghost, but I don’t believe it.”

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Right Wing Media: The Wind Tells Me I'm A Ghost, But I Don't Believe It

EDIT - or the "internal decapitation" one, so many good thread titles in there!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Right Wing Media: Weeklong Human Hunting Expedition

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

FlamingLiberal posted:

Headline: Man Who Got Sued

Quote: "What are you going to do, sue me???"

I dare Dominion to sue me!

No, not like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/1648318064428191744?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Dominion trial not starting off well for Fox