Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sextro posted:

Checks out, last time I got real mad at someone tailgating me I realized that I was also the other driver.

this takes inventing someone to get mad at to strange new levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Honestly, I hope reincarnation works out such that I can reincarnate as a 1980s yuppie so I can get into all kinds of hijinks and wacky adventures in the punk parts of town because my privilege is so unassailable that the idea of a place that I don't belong is literally incomprehensible

and it would be cool to have lots of money to spend on pogs, I guess

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

alright what is the best evidence for reincarnation

link me some classic cases

definitely remember some on Sightings in the 90s about a little kid who remembered being on a boat that sunk in the Atlantic or got unexplainably emotional when they saw an old farmhouse and could remember stuff about it, that kinda stuff ruled. what a great show that was.

PMJ will have the most info here. I recommend reading the first 3/4s of Surviving Death by Leslie Kean. She's regularly recommended here, doing some of the best work in the UAP reporting space. The last 1/4 goes into very woo territory I can't get behind. But it's a great read until then. Has the specific cases you're looking for.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I can understand the classic double slit experiment, but the temporal one is throwing me for a loop. Like if I shoot an electron at a gate that is closed whether it is a wave or particle it isn't getting through so how does that same electron get through at a later time?!? Is this just saying that time is actually just a 4th dimension of space of which we are on a straight arrow moving one way but for the electron it can do either because time for it is just another spatial dimension and the open gate is, for lack of a better term, right next to the closed one?

D-Pad has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Apr 17, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The best evidence of reincarnation is that the same brilliant riff occurred to both Queen and Vanilla Ice

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I do 40 mins a day, beginning in the past three months or so. I have more time during the day now than I did before dedicating 40 minutes of it to meditation.

Ah yeah my fav false knees, just gotta make time

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Inspector Hound posted:

The best evidence of reincarnation is that the same brilliant riff occurred to both Queen and Vanilla Ice

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

when the timecube guy wasn’t being racist as poo poo, he was annoyingly right about time happening all at once.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

my bony fealty posted:

The "best" evidence and classic are both the same body of work: the work of Dr. Ian Stevenson.

It is the best evidence I'm aware of but Stevenson was also a pioneer in scientific exploration into reincarnation.

Best in quotations because it's an empirical approach to the topic which gathers or attempts to gather evidence beyond testimony. The evidence is compelling, but it can always suffer from methodological errors, which is what all the critiques do.

So, Stevenson has pictures of birth deformities and these deformities conform to injuries suffered during the previous life - usually at the instance of death. One could say, though, that the parents are lying, or the people who lived in the same town as the deceased are lying, and so on. Some people, including Sagan, ultimately find the work persuasive nonetheless.

Stevenson is the cornerstone of this avenue of reincarnation research. To my knowledge, it has never really reached the heights of notoriety that Stevenson did.

For other evidence which I won't call "best" evidence because it's testimonial evidence, the near best is once again NDEs due to the remarkable consistency of reincarnation in NDE accounts and positive belief in reincarnation subsequent to experiencing an NDE. Both of which are agnostic to the experiencer's cultural background and religious (or lack thereof) beliefs - as with all things NDE.

It's curious that in Stevenson's cases there are (a) an outsized number of violent deaths (2) children did report OBE experience but not necessarily NDE or between-life experience. Moreover, in Stevenson's cases the children were reincarnated into lives which were geographically near and culturally similar or identical to the previous life. Channeled sources and regressed sources of between-life and/or afterlife experiences tend to emphasize that souls almost never reincarnate into similar lives. So I often wonder if this incongruence can be squared by the violent-death aspect here, with sudden and premature deaths requiring souls to be reincarnated into similar lives on account of too many things being left unaccomplished.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well there also the possibility that channelers would claim that cause it'd be harder to prove wrong

If my past life was on a different continent or was a fish or something it's less provable -- and less disprovable

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
There are endless possibilities. We don't have enough evidence to say otherwise, nor enough evidence to say reincarnation is True. Channeled and regressed sources warrant by far the most skepticism, in my opinion. NDErs remember less or get less information or communicate less information so there's nothing really in NDEs that paints a portrait of how reincarnation typically plays out. The vast majority of NDEs which include reincarnation/past lives only say "...and I remembered past lives," or more commonly, "...and I remembered that I've had past lives." The quality, purpose, consistency, and so on of those lives hasn't been robustly investigated by any NDErs I know of or can remember.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I think of it more like consciousness acts like a stabilizer on a thing that would otherwise veer wildly out of control in an instant. So all the totally zany realities that don't make sense are prevented from happening by the inertia of this central weight of organisms that can perceive and experience what's happening.

Imo this ties in with how the spread of 'rational' and scientific world view coincides with a reduction in miracles and other magical poo poo happening compared to history; poo poo is impossible because we make it impossible.

ive been noodling on this general idea too. my loose hypothesis is something along the lines of reality tumbling along a downward slope of a possibility field - you can't redraw the surface area of what's possible but you can direct travel by 'nudging'. collapsing the wave function, it's like skiing! just watch out for the yeti,

the big hole ive been thinking about is if so, what is the mechanism? i can understand mechanical interactions with the environment but this seems like nonsense without any obvious forces involved

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

I hope this is the right thread for this, but just wanted to share the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me in the realm of "high strangeness".

I went to a private high school in Florida that took a trip to the Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina every year for the sophomore or junior year class, can't remember exactly. Anyway, they broke us into 5 or 6 groups and we had to camp for 4 or 5 days and hiked to a new spot every day with a guide. The first night I was there (well really early morning second day), I had this extremely vivid dream from the perspective of a dog running through the forest with another dog. It was dawn, and I just remember it being so striking how realistic it felt. The dream ended with dog-me running right into our campsite and diving into the tent I was sleeping in, and I was jolted awake. I didn't say anything to anyone about this, just thought it was weird.

That day while we are eating lunch, I'm hanging out near one of the teachers that came with us to chaperone and our guide, and the guide starts telling him this ghost story about how this guy who lived in the mountains murdered his daughter and killed himself decades earlier. He was saying that people tell stories of coming into contact with a teenage girl that lures you into the woods until you get lost, and something about a ghost version of the guy. But the other part of the story was that this guy had two hunting dogs that he had left chained up before he killed himself, and so they died of exposure or thirst, and that people have reported witnessing dogs tearing through the forest or barking in the night and they attribute it to this story.

Anyway, the whole thing creeped me the gently caress out and I never forgot it. Nothing like that has ever happened since but it does make me feel pretty crazy to think about sometimes. It happened almost 20 years ago so I guess my memory could be playing tricks on me but I very much remember it happening like this.

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Between rebirths does your noncorporeal spirit know all your lives? Do you hang out with other spirits laughing at the stuff you did?

read Michael Newton

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

hell yeah

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

20 in the morning after waking, 20 in the evening before going to sleep, half-lotus (alternating), vipassana. No proper cushion I sit on the bed and use a bed pillow + reading pillow

nice. keep going

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the best evidence for reincarnation is thousands of people who are spiritual way more developed than any posting goon telling you it’s what happens

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

just wanted to say I'm loving that this thread is just talking about some of my favorite poo poo rn

reincarnation, the big-mind/god/non-duality/consciousness, it's all just some of my favorite poo poo to ponder. psychedelics may be seen as a no-no for serious seekers of spiritual truth, but I'll be damned if some of my deeper experiences didn't IMMEDIATELY and totally convince me of the reality those concepts, and eventually lead me into being a deeply spiritual person after spending the entire previous span of this life as a militant atheist.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

ive been noodling on this general idea too. my loose hypothesis is something along the lines of reality tumbling along a downward slope of a possibility field - you can't redraw the surface area of what's possible but you can direct travel by 'nudging'. collapsing the wave function, it's like skiing! just watch out for the yeti,

the big hole ive been thinking about is if so, what is the mechanism? i can understand mechanical interactions with the environment but this seems like nonsense without any obvious forces involved

In my mind the mechanism is right there in the double slit experiment. You look at the thing and think about it and it solidifies into one reality. Cue the picture of the entire history of the universe retroactively inventing itself from our perception. If time means nothing and causality means nothing and consciousness is separate from spacetime I can see how consciousness literally creates reality.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

My essay "On the material and meta impacts of the conscious state of anxiety when regarding multiversal compression" has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my essay.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like to think about how the misery of living under capitalism breeds hopelessness which then forecloses the possibility of the situation changing, because it destroys that possibility in people's minds and thus guarantees that the worst possible reality will be manifested. It's like cancer or Alzheimer's for the reality-creating super-consciousness we call humanity.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Slavvy posted:

I like to think about how the misery of living under capitalism breeds hopelessness which then forecloses the possibility of the situation changing, because it destroys that possibility in people's minds and thus guarantees that the worst possible reality will be manifested. It's like cancer or Alzheimer's for the reality-creating super-consciousness we call humanity.

Ah, but all the trauma makes for some very inspired art.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

If you want a fun, short book about the (an) afterlife try Post-Mortem Journal. The premise is a little funny but it's an interesting read. It's like a less staid, first-person Journey of Souls

Fausty posted:

just wanted to say I'm loving that this thread is just talking about some of my favorite poo poo rn

reincarnation, the big-mind/god/non-duality/consciousness, it's all just some of my favorite poo poo to ponder. psychedelics may be seen as a no-no for serious seekers of spiritual truth, but I'll be damned if some of my deeper experiences didn't IMMEDIATELY and totally convince me of the reality those concepts, and eventually lead me into being a deeply spiritual person after spending the entire previous span of this life as a militant atheist.
:yeah:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

euphronius posted:

the best evidence for reincarnation is thousands of people who are spiritual way more developed than any posting goon telling you it’s what happens

Already mentioned but my belief in reincarnation is the result of a deep, practiced meditation imparting a felt or intuited knowing (not my current practice) (I had gone much further and deeper, the effects were significantly more profound then than now). Much in the same way the practice imparts a felt or intuitive knowing about the Oneness of all things.

Anything I've read, learned, heard about reincarnation is just some maybe-evidence in support. Make of it what you will.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 00:56 on Apr 18, 2023

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
A really fun account and description, which accords quite a bit with Newton, of life-between-lives/afterlife is The Road to Immortality by EB Gibbes (Geraldine Cummins channeling Frederic H.W. Meyers).

Highly recommend it and especially to anyone who enjoys the Newton books.

Edit: not triple-posting........ have the Scole experiments ever come up in here? Another fun one to look into if you haven't.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It isn't as exciting as a dream journal, but:

Twice in the last couple of years, during long nights where I couldn't switch my brain off and fall asleep, I settled on theorycrafting a specific new hobby I'd try when I woke up. Both times, I awoke the next morning to find that a loose acquaintance had contacted me to offer me that exact opportunity out of the blue

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rorobb posted:

I went to a private high school in Florida that took a trip to the Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina every year for the sophomore or junior year class, can't remember exactly. Anyway, they broke us into 5 or 6 groups and we had to camp for 4 or 5 days and hiked to a new spot every day with a guide. The first night I was there (well really early morning second day), I had this extremely vivid dream from the perspective of a dog running through the forest with another dog. It was dawn, and I just remember it being so striking how realistic it felt. The dream ended with dog-me running right into our campsite and diving into the tent I was sleeping in, and I was jolted awake. I didn't say anything to anyone about this, just thought it was weird.

I've only ever had one really weird vivid dream, and it was when I was camping as a kid. The other person in my tent was sitting up doing things, and then I watched them get back in their sleeping bag. It seamlessly blended into wakefulness to the extent that I couldn't tell when I woke up, but I know that my tentmate hadn't actually been awake.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Speaking of Pisgah, there are all sorts of unexplained phenomena in the southern Appalachians, like the lights near Linville.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Mountain_lights

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've only ever had one really weird vivid dream, and it was when I was camping as a kid. The other person in my tent was sitting up doing things, and then I watched them get back in their sleeping bag. It seamlessly blended into wakefulness to the extent that I couldn't tell when I woke up, but I know that my tentmate hadn't actually been awake.

wear a nicotine patch to bed. you'll have insane dreams

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got the ADHD so meditating is something that makes me go insane. Good luck brainonauts I'm gonna be busy rawdogging the earth

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have dumbass dreams more often than I'd like but they never mean anything. I'm just dreaming about watching my cat vomit on himself or something else incredibly stupid

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

my bony fealty posted:

I'm not sure of the author's scientific chops but I read "Best Evidence" by Michael Schmicker for a parapsych class and there were entries there around reincarnation and other favored woo type topics discussed in this thread.

Also more pop-sci for the masses than scientific writing but Mary Roach's "Spook: science tackles the afterlife" discusses the plausibility of it as well. I see she's got another book out on the topic but I haven't read it yet to vouch for it.

chainchompz has issued a correction as of 02:01 on Apr 18, 2023

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It isn't as exciting as a dream journal, but:

Twice in the last couple of years, during long nights where I couldn't switch my brain off and fall asleep, I settled on theorycrafting a specific new hobby I'd try when I woke up. Both times, I awoke the next morning to find that a loose acquaintance had contacted me to offer me that exact opportunity out of the blue
Maybe you didn't dream but you made contact with the group mind/collective unconscious. Your thoughts/will reaching above and then having effects below leading to that synchronicity

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Speaking of Pisgah, there are all sorts of unexplained phenomena in the southern Appalachians, like the lights near Linville.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Mountain_lights

many strange happenings in the piss gahhh national forest

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

I got the ADHD so meditating is something that makes me go insane. Good luck brainonauts I'm gonna be busy rawdogging the earth

:same:

This is why I need to obtain mushrooms, I don't care if it's a crutch let me try it and decide

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
I try to piss off astral entities by lucid dreaming myself into their demenses and loving the forbidden knowledge contained therein, hopefully provoking retaliation in the physical plane and thus achieving first contact

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
So I have a dream journal and I kept entries on it for a long time. A lot of times the entries aren't significant or the dreams too weird and don't make sense. Sometimes though I have dreams where I don't struggle to understand the meaning. Here's what I dreamed on February 28, 2013 with added context: I dreamed I was hugging my grandfather from my dad's side of the family who had been dead for years. He was staying in my parent's garage. I asked him why and he said "your mom doesn't want me in her room". I told him he could stay in my room and he said "that's ok." My dad called me in the morning and I went to go see him to tell him the dream. I told him about it and he told me that he had just restored an old singer sewing machine table that was his mom's. He wanted to keep it in their room because he missed them and wanted something familiar but my mom objected, she thought the table was ugly so it went to the garage. My mom did change her mind after she heard the dream.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I still think about the Yggdrasil dream I posted about a few weeks ago nearly every day. I've never had a dream hit me so hard and I've had the more real than real dreams before. I wish I had better words to describe how it was seeing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

I try to piss off astral entities by lucid dreaming myself into their demenses and loving the forbidden knowledge contained therein, hopefully provoking retaliation in the physical plane and thus achieving first contact
That's got to piss them off even more than if you were lucid dreaming yourself into their demesnes.