Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Lazer pig got big making a video about why the T-34 was actually a bad tank and Russians are dumb animals

his new banger video is that the t-14 is bad because it is literally using the same engine as porsche tiger because it has the same engine shape

also soviets t-54/55/64/72/80/90 literally use the same engine as the t-34 because it has the same engine shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

dk2m posted:

Russia has Nazis, a lot of them. What Russia doesn’t have is one that is state-backed.

Isn't Wagner explicitly Nazi and explicitly Russian state backed?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The Danish Navy took 112 pictures of Russian vessels near the pipeline that would be bombed just days later. No, you can't see them.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Vladimirs... they're all the same

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

no

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wagner is by no means a nazi-averse organisation and certainly contain explicit nazis, but they're a business not a political movement

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

the vibes i get is they're professional psychos, and it's just that a lot of those guys tend to be nazis, including the founder. i don't think they have ideological SS troops like ukrainian nazi organizations tend to have. but they're definately at least nazi-positive on the sex spectrum

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

loving love to look at the scraps the west is giving us while my men die hopelessly, it means I can continue skimming from the top until I have to flee the country and take refuge in miami

https://twitter.com/starsandstripes/status/1648079134948466689?s=20

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

wagner is by no means a nazi-averse organisation and certainly contain explicit nazis, but they're a business not a political movement

I'd still qualify them as state backed Nazis. But I'm not a Nazi purist.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
like, blackwater was all nazis iirc, but you wouldn't call them a nazi organization exactly? no, you would call them XE services, the name they go by nowadays

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Funny thing about Wagner is that apparently nobody knows a thing about them except for what they post on telegram. Prigozhin told everybody that he started the PMC by personally sewing the ballistics plates into body armour in his garage so I guess they're just a mom n pop type operation.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Prigozhin is a Slav Super State Ultranationalist kind of guy, which is its own brand of hosed political movement distinct from Nazis in goals if not methods.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wagner guys are shock infantry who can take casualties which is a big problem in contemporary warfare by liberal states. different steps can be taken to address this - one can develop incredibly casualty-averse doctrines, one can outsource the dying to less liberalised or more desperate locals, one can have a sufficient rallying event (such as an invasion) or one can lean on special psycho divisions. these psycho divisions are universally made up of very far-right people, but they do not primarily exist to advance a far-right agenda

wagner, blackwater, the french foreign legion... there are surprisingly many examples of mercenary or semi-mercenary groups which are full of very far-right people. i think there is a meaningful distinction between these groups and, say, the sturmabteilung

V. Illych L. has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Apr 17, 2023

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

lollontee posted:

the vibes i get is they're professional psychos, and it's just that a lot of those guys tend to be nazis, including the founder. i don't think they have ideological SS troops like ukrainian nazi organizations tend to have. but they're definately at least nazi-positive on the sex spectrum

so like any other military organisation

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yes, but you're making a mistake of arguing about the definition of Nazi here with people who do not care and actually support Nazis.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

his new banger video is that the t-14 is bad because it is literally using the same engine as porsche tiger because it has the same engine shape

also soviets t-54/55/64/72/80/90 literally use the same engine as the t-34 because it has the same engine shape

lmfao
there's no difference between a v12 diesel from ww2 and a modern v6 diesel this is true. same shape, same power, same reliability, really

t-80s were originally fitted with gas turbines because their US competitors also had them and it was garbage and they retrofitted to a diesel engine in the late 90s iirc, but i bet it was just because the soviets, known purveyors of insane gas turbine applications, couldn't make it work as well as abrams tanks. certainly not because a gas turbine isn't great for tanks

also t-80 has more power/ton than an abrams despite the engine downgrade so pointing at the bad engine seems a bit weird :confused:

samogonka posted:

:hai:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

The Ukrainians' greatest advantage here is Russian politics. Russia very clearly has a ceiling for casualties they are willing to take, and will give ground where they have to rather than allow themselves to get put in a position where they have to go toe to toe with the Ukrainians on equal terms.

That means if the Ukrainians pile on somewhere, they will achieve some level of local success because, in the time before Russian fires can be massed from elsewhere and brought to bear, local commanders will break contact and withdraw. Ukraine gains some territory on the map, and the casualties they suffer under the rain of shells never makes it to western reporting. With no reporting on casualties, it's easy to make all of these look like major wins.

Russia is trading space for losses, and absent that last bit, it's just Ukraine gaining space.

Now, you could argue how sustainable this is etc etc but what we've seen is that Ukrainian military and political leadership is committed to... whatever the gently caress they are doing.

It is a good reason why you have Wagner group on the frontlines, because they are mercs, and in terms of public opinion it doesn't really doesn't have the same impact. I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian wanted them to hit around Bakhmut because if mercs are taking the hit...its not that much of an issue. Otherwise, they clearly created multiple defense lines in the south to slow any advance to a crawl.

Besides those areas, they could attack in the north but it honestly wouldn't lead to any serious objective, they could attack around Donetsk city is too dense, and if they attack across the border then all bets are off.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

ok who's the whale

brendan fraser

dk2m
May 6, 2009

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Wagner is not an explicitly Nazi organization. It's ideology is that of Erik Prince of Blackwater, which is that it's a mercenary outfit designed to make a profit. There are nazis there though, for sure. I find them personally extremely distasteful, just like I do all mercenary groups, and Prigozhin is a creature from the swamps.

As far as whether it's explicitly state backed, it probably does have state backing, but Prigozhin is as much of a threat to Putin as anyone in the siloviki. There's a level of complexity here that allows for someone like Prigozhin to criticize Putin while still trying to achieve the war objectives the Kremlin sets out.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

not really, just scum bags like any mercs

they love skulls and sledgehammers and are not nice in the same way a Navy seal is not nice

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Truga posted:

lmfao
there's no difference between a v12 diesel from ww2 and a modern v6 diesel this is true. same shape, same power, same reliability, really

t-80s were originally fitted with gas turbines because their US competitors also had them and it was garbage and they retrofitted to a diesel engine in the late 90s iirc, but i bet it was just because the soviets, known purveyors of insane gas turbine applications, couldn't make it work as well as abrams tanks. certainly not because a gas turbine isn't great for tanks

also t-80 has more power/ton than an abrams despite the engine downgrade so pointing at the bad engine seems a bit weird :confused:

:hai:

i dont think they actually hated the gas turbine or that it was garbage, it just got a bad rap because of chechenya and anyways it wasnt worth the logistical headache

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

It is a good reason why you have Wagner group on the frontlines, because they are mercs, and in terms of public opinion it doesn't really doesn't have the same impact.
its even better. they tell recruits to expect a whopping 60% casualty rate (imagine the real number :eyepop:) while simultaneously going on russian talk shows and letting everyone know that if one of these scumbags survive 6mo in hell they go free. and they really really lay into the 'scumbag' angle, giving examples of the worst-of-the-worst out of the russian prison system so that the public is baying for higher casualty rates, 100% ideally, so fewer come home.

this by design, basically,

V. Illych L. posted:

wagner guys are shock infantry who can take casualties which is a big problem in contemporary warfare by liberal states.

feels like very clever media manipulation to me. luckily we don't have that stateside

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
the west was terrified of Russian tank design until the late 70's when they finally worked out something not absolute poo poo but yeah Russians can't make tanks something something Iraq

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

this Adam guy really wants to play nuclear roulette huh

I really need to trick one of these guys to get into a bet over whether Ukraine will be occupying Crimea in 3 months. The only way you could believe that's possible is if you're making an intentional effort to mislead yourself.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ukraine has the OUN explicitly baked into and celebrated as part of its national myth which filters all the way up and down the armed forces and political class, which is very different than the nazi merc paramilitary

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

OctaMurk posted:

i dont think they actually hated the gas turbine or that it was garbage, it just got a bad rap because of chechenya and anyways it wasnt worth the logistical headache

i mean, yeah, the turbines obviously make the tank zippier, but on paper tank performance is like 10% of the consideration, or germans would have won the eastern front :v:

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

its even better. they tell recruits to expect a whopping 60% casualty rate (imagine the real number :eyepop:) while simultaneously going on russian talk shows and letting everyone know that if one of these scumbags survive 6mo in hell they go free. and they really really lay into the 'scumbag' angle, giving examples of the worst-of-the-worst out of the russian prison system so that the public is baying for higher casualty rates, 100% ideally, so fewer come home.

Russians do seem to have a storied history with dangling freedom to those in the gulag systems by fighting some war. Stalin did this too only once the war finished, they were sent back to jail but only this time, they were marked as snitches' since they cooperated with authorities on the deal to leave prison lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Курилка мичмана Птичкина posted:

(from t.me/vmfrus/708, via tgsa)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Delta-Wye posted:

feels like very clever media manipulation to me. luckily we don't have that stateside

yeah, wagner guys aren't exactly telling the russian government what they want the government to be doing. it's a very different power balance compared to ukraine, where the paramilitaries, many but not all of whom are far right, and still separated into their own battalions, under politically nominated leadership. zelensky has to listen to the militias' opinions, or they will be able to overthrow him. putin with prigozhin? prigozhin gets to provide his suggestions, maybe

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

samogonka posted:

yup

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Organ Fiend posted:

Forums user 'Panzeh' is deeply concerned about us ignoring the nazis.

oh goddamnit did that rear end in a top hat sneak in here

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
Back when I was in the german army, one day my NGO came to work proudly showing off his new tattoo, an incomplete swastika on his chest, inspired by the chest tattoo of the protagonist from american history x. Incomplete, since showing a swastika openly would end his career, so just the rotated cross for now. He promised to get it done as soon as he got out. And he wasn't even one of the worst people I met there.

What I'm saying is, every army is full of such people, militaries tend to attract a certain type. It's just funny seeing libs now openly cheering on nazis freedom fighters while pearl clutching about the ones the other side has.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Russia: throws nazis headfirst into the grinder and denies them artillery support

Ukraine: employs nazis as blocking battalions behind hapless conscripts. Their uniforms are spotless

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

The real number is 10,000%.

Or, the Russians can use the mercs more freely them other troops but they are not actually trying to exterminate them since you know it would actually be bad for operations. They would rather use them as a buffer than other forces for optics.

Also, i don't think the Wagner mercs are any more ideological than other mercs. The real different on the Russian side is while you certainly have individual Neo-nazis its ranks, it isn't the same as Ukraine where it is an entrenched portion of the state: Azov it is own army in the AFU and you have UPA flags in every shot. It leads to dramatically different outcomes as far who is controlling the situation.

Also, the DNR had its nationalists but they were not nearly as extreme as the groups who took over the Ukrainian side and it has shown up in how the AFU has retreated the general population of the Donbass.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:33 on Apr 17, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh goddamnit did that rear end in a top hat sneak in here

he kinda barged in and started acting like a bad bot that didn't make sense when people answered his worries "DPR are nazis"(?) then vanished

it was low energy

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

Russia: throws nazis headfirst into the grinder and denies them artillery support

Ukraine: employs nazis as blocking battalions behind hapless conscripts. Their uniforms are spotless

sharp dressed men only for me thanks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

samogonka posted:

What I'm saying is, every army is full of such people, militaries tend to attract a certain type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86uJ19mYgLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcLcEuWYaDs

I'm not convinced, based on how we said farewell to our #girlbosses

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i have a couple of second-hand anarchist acquintances fighting on the ukrainian side, who were originally separated into their own unit. they have now been fully "integrated" ie dispersed among different regional defense units

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

The real number is 10,000%.

V. Illych L. was right, imagine trying to lure somebody into an assault battalion with those kind of casualty rates for dogshit salary and a shot at college if you survive

theyd have had to have gotten a really early start on eating crayons to think its a good deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

lollontee posted:

i have a couple of second-hand anarchist acquintances fighting on the ukrainian side, who were originally separated into their own unit. they have now been fully "integrated" ie dispersed among different regional defense units

Granted, do you really want to hand over resources to self-proclaimed anarchists?