Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

gurragadon posted:

I'm not saying that its an A to B kind of thing in logic. My point is coming from my misreading on the discussion of part time workers. I believe that a Senator who performs there job full time has more experience and knowledge of being a Senator than one who does it part time.

It's not clear to me how I benefit from senators being better at their jobs or taking their jobs more seriously, because a senator's job is to vote in a way that facilitates fundraising for their next campaign and their political party.

quote:

I want them to listen to people. Thats there job

It's their nominal responsibility but it's not what they're actually incentivized to do, so more experience/more time at the office won't make them do it more or do it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

^^^ I... really don't think that's what they're saying, but I'll let them answer.

I dunno, one of our two political parties is currently completely out of the hands of its wealthy donor base because of voter passion, so, I'm not sure if the Moneybagses are always getting what they want. They don't want abortion bans to rile up the left, they don't want Gaetz and Greene divebombing our national credit with debt ceiling posturing; they don't want Trump winning a primary to lose his third popular vote in a row, and yet.

We are not yet at a point in this country where the actual primaries and elections are irrelevant, and voters can still tell the ivory tower crowd to shove it if they're in strong enough agreement.

They absolutely do want those antiabortion bans.

quote:

Since Trump became president, a small group of executives, their nonprofit organizations and affiliated outside groups, have formed a little-known multimillion-dollar fundraising operation to back groups who have lobbied and campaigned against abortion rights, according to over 30 Federal Election Commission filings and nonprofit tax filings. The web of business leaders and their affiliated organizations have raised over $40 million, with big money going to groups such as Susan B. Anthony List and its affiliated organizations.

Corporate America has stayed mostly silent on the court’s draft decision since it was published. Even so, some business leaders have boosted the anti-abortion movement in recent years.

Records show that donors to anti-abortion groups include nonprofits run by oil and gas executive George Strake Jr., the conservative Mercer family and a donation through the Shell company foundation run by the leaders of the oil and gas giant.

Individual donors have given big money to groups that oppose abortion rights since the 2020 election cycle, FEC filings show. Many of those organizations opposed President Joe Biden in that election and could be active this year in the midterms, as Democrats try to hold their narrow majorities in Congress.

Women Speak Out PAC is a super PAC that says it is “amplifying the voices of women opposed to abortion extremists in Congress.” The Susan B. Anthony List website lists the PAC, along with the separate Susan B. Anthony Candidate Fund, under their “SBA List Family.” Super PACs can spend and raise an unlimited amount of money for their desired candidates.

Republican megadonor Richard Uihlein, who founded shipping company Uline Inc., gave $4 million to the group during the 2020 election cycle. A separate PAC, titled Restoration PAC, which has also received millions from Uihlein over the 2020 and 2022 election cycles, donated over $400,000 to Women Speak Out PAC late last year. Ellen Barrosse, former CEO of health-care technical writing service Synchrogenix, which is now owned by pharmaceutical company Certara, gave $1 million to the PAC in January.

John Buser, an executive from investment firm Neuberger Berman, donated $25,000 to the organization that same month.

Throughout this week, Neuberger Berman’s website listed Buser as a managing director and an executive vice chairman of its investment advisory arm NB Alternatives. By Friday, after CNBC contacted the firm about Buser’s donation, his bio page was inactive.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
The way I've always understood it is that a congressperson holding a job while holding office opens the door to conflicts of interest. If I were a senator and I worked for Raytheon, guess who would always be supporting military funding, even if was elected by a state of people who believe we should cut funding.

Additionally, the common argument thrown around in the USCE threads is that senators and reps are paid so well (at the federal level, the salaries for state's reps are surprising to me) so that they didn't need to seek additional employment, and so that anyone (not just rich people with money to sit on) can serve in office.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It's not clear to me how I benefit from senators being better at their jobs or taking their jobs more seriously, because a senator's job is to vote in a way that facilitates fundraising for their next campaign and their political party.

It's their nominal responsibility but it's not what they're actually incentivized to do, so more experience/more time at the office won't make them do it more or do it better.

That's where I was coming from when I meant some donors (who they do listen to) are more aligned with my interests. It sucks, but sometimes that fundraising effort ends up with some group getting an interest passed that kind of aligns with mine.

I dunno, I don't want to have to end up trying to defend the importance of donors or some other nonsense like that. The money is the real issue in the whole conversation. I would rather a politician work part time and not take any donations above $20 than a politician who works full time but takes megadonors money.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

gurragadon posted:

That's where I was coming from when I meant some donors (who they do listen to) are more aligned with my interests. It sucks, but sometimes that fundraising effort ends up with some group getting an interest passed that kind of aligns with mine.

I dunno, I don't want to have to end up trying to defend the importance of donors or some other nonsense like that. The money is the real issue in the whole conversation. I would rather a politician work part time and not take any donations above $20 than a politician who works full time but takes megadonors money.

Do you not get how part-time politicians essentially lock out everyone who isn’t independently wealthy or connected from even trying?

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do you not get how part-time politicians essentially lock out everyone who isn’t independently wealthy or connected from even trying?

Yeah, I get it, how could you work a full-time job to support yourself and then also do the job of a politician well. Plus, are you just gonna keep it secret from your boss and they can never know you're a politician? It could lead to any amounts of conflicts of interest. Thats setting somebody up for failure.

But I was just stating a preference. The best situation in my opinion would be full time politicians with a very low donation limit. Second it would be part time politicians with a very low donation limit. Third would be full time politicians with no donation limit. And last would be part time politicians with no donation limit.

Edit: And I think the lawmakers should be paid so they don't have to worry about keeping multiple jobs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
F.B.I. Arrests Two on Charges Tied to Chinese Police Outpost in New York
Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn charged the men with conspiring with the People’s Republic of China and destroying evidence in connection with a Chinese police outpost in Lower Manhattan.

quote:

Two men were arrested early Monday on federal charges accusing them of conspiring to act as agents of the People’s Republic of China in connection with a police outpost it operated in Manhattan’s Chinatown, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The outpost was one of more than 100 Chinese police operations around the world that have unnerved diplomats and intelligence officials. The case represents the first time criminal charges have been brought in connection with such a police outpost, one of the people said.

The case against the men, Lu Jianwang, 61, and Chen Jinping, 59, grew out of an investigation by the F.B.I. and the U.S. attorney’s office in Brooklyn into the Chinatown outpost, which conducted police operations without jurisdiction or diplomatic approval.

Last fall, F.B.I. counterintelligence agents searched the outpost’s offices, located on the third floor of a nondescript building at 107 East Broadway, indicating an escalation in the global dispute over China’s efforts to police its diaspora far beyond its borders.

It could not be immediately determined whether the men had lawyers. Mr. Lu, who is also known as Harry Lu, lives in the Bronx and is a naturalized American citizen. Mr. Chen lives in Manhattan; his citizenship could not be immediately confirmed.

In 2018 IRS filings, Mr. Lu was listed as the president of a nonprofit organization called the America Changle Association NY, whose offices housed the police outpost. The nature of Mr. Chen’s connection to the group could not be immediately determined.

When news of the search was first reported in January, the Chinese Embassy in Washington downplayed the role of the outposts, saying they were staffed by volunteers who helped Chinese nationals perform routine tasks like renewing their driver’s licenses back home.

But The New York Times reviewed Chinese state news media reports in which the police and local Chinese officials described the operations very differently.

The officials, cited by name, trumpeted the effectiveness of the offices, frequently referred to as overseas police service centers. In some of the reports, the outposts were described as “collecting intelligence” and solving crimes abroad without the involvement of local officials.

Those public statements left it murky who exactly was running the offices. In some instances, they were described as being led by volunteers; in others, by staff members.

The org's actually referred to as America ChangLe Association, and it was raided in January. All their online materials are already scrubbed. Major initial coverage was a December 2022 report by the Spain-located org Safeguard Defenders, who I can't immediately find enough information about but who may be a proxy for Falun Gong. These outposts are very straightforwardly clandestine international military/intelligence offices and a disturbing problem, despite the fact that the main source of attention has often been the right wing press for various lovely reasons.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 17, 2023

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

If you as a legislator are unable to make it to the chamber due to debilitating injury or illness, you should be replaced.

So Fetterman needs to go, huh.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

TheDisreputableDog posted:

So Fetterman needs to go, huh.

do we really need to specify that its long term debilitation thats the problem

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Discendo Vox posted:

Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn charged the men with conspiring with the People’s Republic of China and destroying evidence in connection with a Chinese police outpost in Lower Manhattan.

The org's actually referred to as America ChangLe Association, and it was raided in January. All their online materials are already scrubbed. Major initial coverage was a December 2022 report by the Spain-located org Safeguard Defenders, who I can't immediately find enough information about but who may be a proxy for Falun Gong. These outposts are very straightforwardly clandestine international military/intelligence offices and a disturbing problem, despite the fact that the main source of attention has often been the right wing press for various lovely reasons.

I'm not clear on what they mean by "police outpost", is it actual Chinese cops policing Chinatown for political impurity or is it more of a local gang?

VVV thanks for the clarification, and I meant this specific "outpost".

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 17, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm not clear on what they mean by "police outpost", is it actual Chinese cops policing Chinatown for political impurity or is it more of a local gang?

The former, and it's not Chinatown, it's the world.

vvv yeah, it's probable that a lot of it is oriented toward monitoring expats and their families, including using them as collateral for the compliance of relatives back home (and vice versa).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 17, 2023

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There was one set up in Vancouver, Canada and the theory is that it's set up to spy on Chinese citizens living abroad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

this is so weird. do you *actually* prefer the alternative of Feinstein('s aides) continuing to vote for her remotely?

They had remote voting in the House. You just appear on video or designate another member of congress to vote on your behalf. There's no real scenario (outside of a Senatorial Misery situation) where her aides can hijack all of her votes for years until her term ends.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

New York FBI and DA has been busy the past few days.

They stopped someone who was allegedly planning a mass shooting at a bar in New York hours before they were going to do it on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/SDNYnews/status/1648007479706411008

Plus, the charges against El Chapo's kids from a few days ago.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

cr0y posted:

Saying that we need to let people do everything remotely is basically saying "well if we make them come in then it will just be a tool to obstruct". The problem is they will do that anyways, oops I don't have cell coverage, sorry I didn't know the vote was taking place, etc etc.

My main argument for making people physically be in a chamber to vote is that it makes it harder for an elected official to treat the office like a side hustle.

...it really does not seem to make it hard in the slightest and politics being a side hustle seems to be more a rule than a exception. Personally I like living close to the politicians I vote for from an influence standpoint, and I don't see why that should be the case for only those living in the capital. If a politician wants to benefit from their office, they do it regardless of the method of voting. Their success in that depends on the levels of corruption in the country in question. I'm not sure if there is any country where you can vote without being present so it is

But it really does not seem to preclude any of the things people say it precludes. Like the corruption in United States is pretty drat open regardless of them having a second home in Washington D.C.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Biden's recently announced new emissions standards, which would effectively ban about 2/3 of ICE vehicles in the U.S. by 2032 (and starts kicking in effective all 2027 models of cars and trucks), is being challenged by a national Long-haul Truckers union/trade association called the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association. They are specifically challenging the part of the rules that mandate the inclusion of short and long-haul freight trucks in the regulations.

They argue that most truckers who own their own vehicles will not be able to meet the current standards. They claim this will result in roughly 1/3 of truckers being required to buy new trucks in the next 5 years to be compliant and represents an undue burden on truckers.

https://twitter.com/FoxBusiness/status/1647978700552503297

quote:

The trucking industry is sounding the alarm on consequential ripple effects of the Biden administration's latest move in the electric vehicle push.

While critics have voiced concerns about the EPA's recent emissions regulations, the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA), a trade organization that represents small business truckers, warns the restrictions are dangerous and threaten small businesses and the overall U.S. economy.

"It's been our history with experience with EPA that the regulations that they come up with tend to be... not all that practical when it comes to how they actually will work on the road," OOIDA President Todd Spencer told Fox News Digital.

Spencer's fear is the new regulations are being pushed through mandates that have not addressed the side effects or considered additional ramifications such as costs and efficiency.

"It's one thing if you're talking about doing this on an automobile, that if you don't get where you're needing to go quite as quickly as you could, it's no big deal. There's no ramifications generally beyond you," Spencer explained. "But for truckers, it can mean that they don't make deliveries, that the goods that they're transporting don't get where they're needed to go, and certainly in many instances, people really need to have the stuff that trucks bring on a timely basis."

On Wednesday, the Biden White House announced aggressive regulations for tailpipe emissions as part of its sweeping climate agenda and efforts to push Americans to buy electric vehicles (EVs).

The tailpipe emissions regulations will impact light-duty and heavy-duty vehicles alike. The new standards for heavy-duty trucks, specifically, aim to reduce carbon emissions for trucks beginning with model year 2027.

According to the EPA, transportation accounts for 27% of the total greenhouse gas emission with heavy-duty vehicles making up 25% of that. By enforcing more stringent restrictions on the trucks, the EPA estimates the U.S. would avoid approximately 1.8 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.

Spencer said, historically, new restrictions from the EPA "significantly increase costs" for equipment and operations. What's more, they can "undermine reliability" which could be detrimental to the overall supply chain.

The EPA acknowledged the cost for manufacturers would be a staggering $6 billion which also accounts for nearly $3 billion in cost reductions provided by the Inflation Reduction Act. It's estimated that businesses would have to pay thousands to purchase zero-emission vehicles (ZEV).

"For a small business, any kind of problem that comes along that can shut you down, that can disable you for anywhere from a few days to maybe even a few weeks, it can put you out of business really, really, really quickly," Spencer said. "We certainly see the potential for these new proposed rules to have the exact same or maybe even a far worse impact on the operations of small business truckers."

The restrictions announced Wednesday come on the heels of regulations on nitrogen oxide pollution which raised similar concerns for small business truckers.

Andrew John of the John N John Trucking Company warned that the costs associated with the nitrogen oxide standards could kill many mom-and-pop trucking businesses.

"They go out of business," John said on "Varney & Co" last month. "They go out of business, and we all know how important small businesses are to the economy."

John stressed that the standards could cost thousands of dollars per vehicle but that there would also be other costs associated with the new technology, maintenance, and operations that many small businesses can't afford.

The latest emissions rules continue to put pressure on small businesses with little cost incentives or government aid. Spencer feared these rules could put truckers out of business.

Small-business truckers are "absolutely essential to every aspect of our economy," Spencer argued.

Trucking accounts for 70% of freight moved in the U.S. and 96% of trucking operations are run by small businesses with 20 trucks or fewer. With nearly $18 trillion in freight moved by trucks annually, disruptions in the flow of transportation would mean a lack of supplies to meet the demands of American consumers.

"If you're shut down, the supply chain is broke because that supply is not going to get delivered," Spencer said.

"Among the greatest contributions that trucks and truckers have made to our economy now is the concept of just-in-time deliveries, where we don't need warehouses, where we simply schedule and goods move, and we've sort of become accustomed to being able to look on our phone or our computer or to see and get an idea about where we might expect to get something. Well, if the truck stops, we're not going to get that," Spencer said.

Since the bulk of the trucking industry relies on small businesses, the EPA mandates put added strain on those companies that cannot easily and efficiently implement the changes, increasing supply chain uncertainty.

Spencer added that trucks and truckers are often transporting emergency goods and supplies. He fears that unforeseen ramifications from the new restrictions could prevent drivers from getting those supplies to Americans facing emergency situations such as hurricanes and tornadoes.

"If your battery goes down in the middle of a windstorm, a snowstorm, a flood, a hurricane, there are no simple solutions and there may not be any remedies available. So we have to make certain things like that don't can't happen. If they [do], our total transportation system can shut down when it's most urgently needed."

"It absolutely can be life and death," Spencer warned.

Overall, if the regulations are finalized, a staggering 67% of new sedan, crossover, SUV and light truck purchases could be electric by 2032, the White House projected. In addition, up to 50% of bus and garbage trucks, 35% of short-haul freight tractors and 25% of long-haul freight tractor purchases could be electric.

Spencer called out the irony behind the administration touting the value of the EPA rules but ultimately mandating the changes to achieve their environmental goals.

"The other thing that's extremely frustrating is that when we talk about these things, we hear this word mandate. They tell us all how all the benefits, how great this stuff is going to be. And then they say, 'you got to do it anyway.' Realistically, we're more in tuned to incentives," Spencer said. "If you're talking about something that actually really does deliver benefits for all around, you don't have to mandate stuff like that. People gravitate to it. They go after it and say I want it because it'll make everything better."

"So rather than the mandates, we'd like to see the incentives," he concluded.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Biden's recently announced new emissions standards, which would effectively ban about 2/3 of ICE vehicles in the U.S. by 2032 (and starts kicking in effective all 2027 models of cars and trucks), is being challenged by a national Long-haul Truckers union/trade association called the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association. They are specifically challenging the part of the rules that mandate the inclusion of short and long-haul freight trucks in the regulations.

They argue that most truckers who own their own vehicles will not be able to meet the current standards. They claim this will result in roughly 1/3 of truckers being required to buy new trucks in the next 5 years to be compliant and represents an undue burden on truckers.

What are the stats on truckers who own their own vehicles vs. companies owning them and hiring out bodies to operate them? And how many of those independent truckers are long haulers vs. shorter trips in more local environs? Does any one know that info or of any good resources to look into it?

It's definitely a move that needs to happen, and probably sooner rather than later, but if it's tens of thousands of people being affected then I don't know if they'll be able to keep that particular mandate in. (Other option would be for more trucking/hauling companies to invest in their fleets and switch the independents to dedicated employees, I suppose, but even in those cases I can't see how you'd avoid creating random holes where an independent trucker used to be available and isn't anymore.)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Apparently there are 350,000-400,000 independent truckers in the US+Canada. An electric semi is apparently $400,000-$500,000 so that is a really big chunk of capital investment that needs to happen (over a hundred billion). I imagine some form of subsidy will probably come into shape over the next couple of years - I hope it's not too generous, e.g. that it considers the fact that owner-operators will have lower operating costs with EVs and shouldn't just be getting these things for free.

Commercial trucks and busses are responsible for 25% of emissions in the US. Owner-operated freight trucks appear to be about 10% of the total fleet.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Apparently there are 350,000-400,000 independent truckers in the US+Canada. An electric semi is apparently $400,000-$500,000 so that is a really big chunk of capital investment that needs to happen (over a hundred billion). I imagine some form of subsidy will probably come into shape over the next couple of years - I hope it's not too generous, e.g. that it considers the fact that owner-operators will have lower operating costs with EVs and shouldn't just be getting these things for free.

Commercial trucks and busses are responsible for 25% of emissions in the US. Owner-operated freight trucks appear to be about 10% of the total fleet.

Thanks for the info.

Can you elaborate on the bolded above, though? If the commercial trucking industry contributes that much to the overall emissions, and if switching to EVs would take a substantial bite out of that number (big if, I'll grant you), then I guess I see it as a worthwhile expenditure, and a worthwhile public/private venture, for the US government to essentially pay for that switchover.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Class3KillStorm posted:

Thanks for the info.

Can you elaborate on the bolded above, though? If the commercial trucking industry contributes that much to the overall emissions, and if switching to EVs would take a substantial bite out of that number (big if, I'll grant you), then I guess I see it as a worthwhile expenditure, and a worthwhile public/private venture, for the US government to essentially pay for that switchover.
Yeah, I agree. I just think it's possible that the government could end up subsidizing private profit, as they often do. That's to be avoided, but if it's the only way to upgrade the fleet then maybe it's worth overpaying in terms of public money. (After all, money is fake, carbon dioxide is not.)

I imagine the government has other incentives they can use to pressure larger carriers to switch over (anybody know about that?) If they could get the other 90% of the fleet switched over to electric and grandfather in independently owned ICE vehicles, while offering reasonable subsidies to replace them within 5 or 10 years, maybe we could live with that. Perhaps emissions standards on ICE trucks could also be tightened to get them off the road faster.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Class3KillStorm posted:

Can you elaborate on the bolded above, though?

Electricity costs are lower than fuel costs. So we should not subsidize new ev trucks to be the same price as diesel trucks.

And the thing here is this is all new sales. They’re complaining about it as if it were a requirement for existing vehicles. That said their margins are actually quite thin, that’s real and higher upfront capital will really drive some of them out of business. So something should happen, but they want to make it seem as bad for them as possibly they can to try to make that help bigger than it should be.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Pete expressed interest in a "pack the courts" strategy. His proposal was laughably bad, but it was never anything more than a signal.

These discoveries and disclosures allow dems room to pursue packing the courts. Must broadcast and print media will be more amenible to such a strategy*. Voting attitudes shift slightly too - each of which makes it a slightly more viable path, and slightly more likely, and that incremental bit more worth pursuing.

*and the fascist cable, radio and meme media is not doing well at this point in the cycle

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Electricity costs are lower than fuel costs. So we should not subsidize new ev trucks to be the same price as diesel trucks.

And the thing here is this is all new sales. They’re complaining about it as if it were a requirement for existing vehicles. That said their margins are actually quite thin, that’s real and higher upfront capital will really drive some of them out of business. So something should happen, but they want to make it seem as bad for them as possibly they can to try to make that help bigger than it should be.

I don't understand this position, either - if electricity costs are lower than regular diesel fuel costs, then why wouldn't we want to subsidize the new EV trucks being built? If we can artificially lower the more expensive EV production so that they line up alongside their diesel counterparts, then theoretically the longer-term savings of electricity over diesel would be the tipping point for buying the EV. (Yes, it's a perfectly spherical truck in a vacuum, considering the decades of marketing and propaganda for the non-electric vehicles, but you get my point.)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just buying everybody who is currently driving a semi a brand new electric one is actually probably the least problematic outcome. These are big expensive items and anybody who doesn't have that kind of money up front, which is most truckers, is financing them through what are basically legal scams. If someone who wanted to haul stuff just got a truck to do it with, a lot of really lovely players would be driven out of the industry. This is something that is so obviously not going to last the next Republican that gets on the throne that anybody getting angry about it now just smacks of asking for payment in advance for a job you know is going to get cancelled.

EV trucking within 9 years is probably possible for drayage but good luck finding someone who'll stick their necks out for those drivers. For long haul, I've seen nothing that convinces me we'll be replacing every hydrocarbon joule burnt with anything cleaner and even "stations with a big diesel generator that's used to charge the trucks" is both insufficient and too weak to stand on its own.

This isn't even the foremost of my infrastructure concerns, after all how much does an EV semi weigh? Freightliner seems to have the most serious contender that isn't in production yet (though Tesla seems to be better at SEO) but the listed weight is so much higher than just what I'd expect a cab to be that I think it's not what I'm looking for.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
My guess is will start seeing a lot of the overhead power trucks like those being tested at scale in Germany. Electrification of our highways to allow trolley buses and trucks isn't the worst thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Relating to the earlier arrests in New York, DoJ has announced charges against another 40 or so individuals in the Chinese state police and Cyberspace Administration for coordinated campaigns to harass, repress, sabotage and target dissidents, as well as subvert social media platforms and recruit unwitting proxies. This, too, builds upon earlier investigations.

quote:

United States v. Julien Jin, et al.

This amended complaint charges 10 individuals, including a former PRC-based Company-1 employee, six MPS officers, and two officials with the CAC, with conspiracy to commit interstate harassment and unlawful conspiracy to transfer means of identification. Nine of the defendants are believed to reside in the PRC and remain at large. The tenth defendant is believed to reside in Indonesia or the PRC and also remains at large.

“The amended complaint charging a former PRC-based employee of a U.S. telecommunications company illustrates the insider threat faced by U.S. companies operating in the PRC,” said First Assistant U.S. Attorney Pokorny for the Eastern District of New York, who thanked Company-1 for its cooperation in the government’s investigation. “As alleged, Julien Jin and his co-conspirators in the Ministry of Public Security and Cyberspace Administration of China weaponized the U.S. telecommunications company he worked for to intimidate and silence dissenters and enforce PRC law to the detriment of Chinese activists in New York, among other places, who had sought refuge in this country to peacefully express their pro-democracy views.”

The other complaint, United States v. Yunpeng Bai, et al., basically points to an entire troll farm operation targeting dissidents specifically and including threat and harassment campaigns.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not actually convinced that the average semi-cab will be much heavier than its ICE counterpart, batteries are heavy but there's a lot of really heavy poo poo that is required to make a big engine move a load like that, that isn't necessary for electric.

The average consumer car doubling in weight to 8,000 pounds is going to do far, far more damage to stuff and the 20% heavier semi's are going to be the final straw or bridges and roads alike.

Blindeye posted:

My guess is will start seeing a lot of the overhead power trucks like those being tested at scale in Germany. Electrification of our highways to allow trolley buses and trucks isn't the worst thing.

It's a beautiful dream but unlikely, a lot of cities used to have this and held ceremonies to rip it out and those same people and their fellow travelers in ideology are still in charge. If you've already got wires overhead so things can operate without gas or batteries, why then people will demand trams and trolleys and more buses because they'd just slot right in at that point.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Epic High Five posted:

This isn't even the foremost of my infrastructure concerns, after all how much does an EV semi weigh? Freightliner seems to have the most serious contender that isn't in production yet (though Tesla seems to be better at SEO) but the listed weight is so much higher than just what I'd expect a cab to be that I think it's not what I'm looking for.
That is a concern and, of course, an externality of shipping that is basically always passed on to the public. (The vast, vast, vast majority of wear on highways and bridges is from commercial trucks. Vast!) Looking around, it looks like electric semis - Tesla and Freightliner - tend to weigh in at about 25-35k pounds, as opposed to 10k-25k for a legacy semi. So, not really so terrible... but since they still have a total weight restriction of around 80k, that means each truck would be carrying less, which means at least somewhat more trucks out there. It would be a gain emissions-wise but definitely a loss for the pavement, if not a major one.

The whole situation really highlights the need for a replacement of the gasoline tax as a mechanism for funding highway repairs ASAP.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I wanna thank Mellow Seas and Epic High Five for piping up since that article was posted - I feel like I'm learning so much more about commercial trucking and its implications than I ever would have expected to in my lifetime.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

These issues are only really for long haul trucks, right? Short haul trucks - also in the bill - seem like they can convert to EV without nearly as many issues.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Class3KillStorm posted:

I wanna thank Mellow Seas and Epic High Five for piping up since that article was posted - I feel like I'm learning so much more about commercial trucking and its implications than I ever would have expected to in my lifetime.

I can't speak for Mellow but everything I know is picked up from Bar Ran Dan and a few other spots on these forums, it's a real education sometimes.

edit - and a few years working in a diner with some truckers but all I can say for certain as a result of those conversations is that build quality is garbage now and even brand new engines are held together with spit and string

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

These issues are only really for long haul trucks, right? Short haul trucks - also in the bill - seem like they can convert to EV without nearly as many issues.

I don't think there's any issues that one will have but the other won't. I think the short haul (drayage) sector is the easiest to fix in theory but that's not going to be the same as practice, but it is certainly more focused than the broader issues long haul face in electrification which are less fine details and more "is this sort of project even something we, as a society, are capable of anymore"

I was being a bit tongue in cheek but I do expect traditional car companies to oppose overhead or non-battery electrification specifically because that'd be the exact same system that would make replacing cars entirely much easier.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Missouri's a castle doctrine state, so there's room for any proceeding to go very badly.

There is no doubt that any jury trial involving white man shooting a black kid has potential to go badly, but I think even castle doctrine laws require the victim to actually be attempting to enter a residence. If walking on to a porch and/or ringing a doorbell counts, that's free license to shoot any salesperson or package delivery person in the state. Not that there aren't law-makers in Missouri who would undoubtedly see that as a positive.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Blind Pineapple posted:

There is no doubt that any jury trial involving white man shooting a black kid has potential to go badly, but I think even castle doctrine laws require the victim to actually be attempting to enter a residence. If walking on to a porch and/or ringing a doorbell counts, that's free license to shoot any salesperson or package delivery person in the state. Not that there aren't law-makers in Missouri who would undoubtedly see that as a positive.

Trayvon Martin was confronting a person following him in a public area.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's. Always. Projection.

https://twitter.com/EdKrassen/status/1648070921528147968?t=6kYF15KfydwbV1EfUNuQJA&s=19

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What I believe is the non-Krassenstein source:

:nws: just in case
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1648026562422272006

Fuentes is tied up in it too apparently to the surprise of nobody.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

Pete expressed interest in a "pack the courts" strategy. His proposal was laughably bad, but it was never anything more than a signal.

These discoveries and disclosures allow dems room to pursue packing the courts. Must broadcast and print media will be more amenible to such a strategy*. Voting attitudes shift slightly too - each of which makes it a slightly more viable path, and slightly more likely, and that incremental bit more worth pursuing.

*and the fascist cable, radio and meme media is not doing well at this point in the cycle

It’s probably a thing that has to happen, or the stop anything good ever strategy will continue to work. My understanding is that positions like this that start on the outside can flip rather suddenly after about a quarter of the relevant group supports them. What’s dem support on packing the courts at?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm not sure if there is any country where you can vote without being present so it is

Sorry if late but the United States, for example? The first vote I ever was old enough to cast was 2012, yet 2020 was the first time I voted while inside the US

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Push El Burrito posted:

Trayvon Martin was confronting a person following him in a public area.

I think that was "stand your ground," which is a slightly different stupid law that encourages gun degeneracy in the US.

To follow up on the Ralph Yarl story, they filed charges today. The shooter was an 84-year-old white man named Andrew Lester. The charges are first degree assault and armed criminal action which don't sound like much, but apparently the first degree assault charge alone carries a max sentence of life in prison. The armed criminal action charge carries a sentence of 3-15 years, which may as well be life for an 84yo. There's a pretty good chance the old bastard won't live through the trial, but at least there was some reasonably quick and meaningful action.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Blind Pineapple posted:

I think that was "stand your ground," which is a slightly different stupid law that encourages gun degeneracy in the US.

To follow up on the Ralph Yarl story, they filed charges today. The shooter was an 84-year-old white man named Andrew Lester. The charges are first degree assault and armed criminal action which don't sound like much, but apparently the first degree assault charge alone carries a max sentence of life in prison. The armed criminal action charge carries a sentence of 3-15 years, which may as well be life for an 84yo. There's a pretty good chance the old bastard won't live through the trial, but at least there was some reasonably quick and meaningful action.

Yeah. I think the very reductionist barebones definitions are:

Castle Doctrine: If they're in your house and you didn't invite them, they're fair game.

Stand Your Ground: You are under no obligation to attempt to disengage from a conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

the_steve posted:

Yeah. I think the very reductionist barebones definitions are:

Castle Doctrine: If they're in your house and you didn't invite them, they're fair game.

Stand Your Ground: You are under no obligation to attempt to disengage from a conflict.

SYG is worse because you can just vaguely state that your life was in danger in pretty much any situation and it has to be taken seriously. Self-defense usually requires that you not escalate a situation and in some states, you have a duty to retreat. Of course a place like Florida basically says, he looked at me funny I feared for my life on my Sunday stroll through gated suburbia and that's what I had to take your life.