Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

"Before you joined up with Mau'dib you were thumpin' sand worms for thirteen years?"
"And four months"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The jihad will not save you, Paul. It won’t make you whole, it won’t fill your rear end up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I mean the gag was that in Foundation he was basically the leader of a self-sufficient backwater desert town at the edge of the universe, so

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh lol I completely missed the joke and thought you just mispelt it. Oh well, it was a fun pic to make

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eason the Fifth posted:

Lol. For me it's season 2, when he gets detailed back to the unit and asks right off "So who's our target?" Prez or Daniels I think points at the board with just a picture on it, and Lester says, "oh, frank sobotka?"

Lester rules so much :allears:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
drat Calvin you know I got the bingo tonight.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Continuing the theme of "times when Isiah Whitlock Jr. says "shhhiiiiiiittt": Rewatching Blackkklansman and he plays a recruiter? Mayor? I dunno I don't think it's established, but he says it to John David Washington like 5 minutes into the movie.

I bet he could (or does) make a ton on cameo to say it for people.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
lol, I forgot about the little sequence where Carcetti goes around to the departments and just tells them a thing is wrong and won't tell them where so they have to go all over town and fix everything.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

drat Calvin you know I got the bingo tonight.

Legitimately one of my favorite lines in the whole show. You know she really does have bingo tonight and she wants Lester to hurry it up.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

deoju posted:

Legitimately one of my favorite lines in the whole show. You know she really does have bingo tonight and she wants Lester to hurry it up.

I like to think it's her go-to line whenever she's playing a character. Perfectly honed over the years to be something plausible, pressing, but not urgent. Somewhere there's a supercut of her saying it 50 times but with a different name each time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ShowTime posted:

Continuing the theme of "times when Isiah Whitlock Jr. says "shhhiiiiiiittt": Rewatching Blackkklansman and he plays a recruiter? Mayor? I dunno I don't think it's established, but he says it to John David Washington like 5 minutes into the movie.

I bet he could (or does) make a ton on cameo to say it for people.

Was he going for a "Let's get ready to Ruuuuumble!!!!" thing with it? Because that boxing announcer trademarked that stupid poo poo and somehow got paid royalties or whatever for it.

Sheeeee-iiit.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Sheeeeeit is the meme but the best Clay Davis moment is either him stumbling out of the first grand jury meeting looking stunned and then jerking his smile into place when he sees the reporters or when he giggles like a maniac after asking Carcetti and Norman to pick up the tab at the restaurant when they pay him off before the election.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 16, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Prometheus Bound is the high point imo

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
excuse me if I didn't ask that old Arthur Itis woman for a receipt.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
man i just started we own this city after reading this thread, but god dam is it a heavy show to just throw on when you're eating dinner.

not that the wire wasn't heavy too but this show is dark

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

I haven't been on SA regularly for about a decade, but it legitimately warms my heart that this thread is still going. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Clarke Peters is in True Detective and I definitely marked out when I saw him in it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Clarke Peters is in True Detective and I definitely marked out when I saw him in it

Which season? The new one with Jodie Foster?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Which season? The new one with Jodie Foster?

The first one, he’s in it for like a minute as a preacher.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Watching season 5.

The newspaper storyline isn't bad but they really drop you in the thick of it with the terminology and way things are run right in episode 1. I know this is how they did it in season 2 with the docks but the characters there were much more memorable and even likeable (despite what they were doing). Aside from Gus, there's nobody who stands out at The Sun.

Jimmy feels like a relic from earlier in the show. I wish he'd had the happy ending he got in season 4.

The serial killer plot really is dumb. There's no excusing it. I thought I might feel different on my sixth or so watch but yeah, it's just stupid.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Stare-Out posted:

The first one, he’s in it for like a minute as a preacher.

I loved Paul Ben-Victor in True Detective. He had some great lines. I would rank S1 of True Detective up with The Wire. Never did get into the other two seasons though.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
What other seasons?

I always thought it odd hbo only made one season of true detective and westworld. Guess they figured why risk it and ended on high notes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

King Of Coons posted:

What other seasons?

I always thought it odd hbo only made one season of true detective and westworld. Guess they figured why risk it and ended on high notes

The first season of True Detective is a millstone around the rest of the show's neck.

Season 2 and 3 are actually really good television, they're just not the lightning in a bottle dark sorcery that was season 1 so the gulf in quality seems dire.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The serial killer plot is bad but the scene where carcetti learns the truth is amazing so it’s impossible to say if it was worth it

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

S2 of True Detective was trash, I thought. Vince Vaughn’s character would’ve been interesting in another show though. S3 was good but still couldn’t live up to S1. I’m hoping the new season brings something interesting to the table because hell, I don’t mind me some Jodie Foster.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

zenguitarman posted:

I loved Paul Ben-Victor in True Detective. He had some great lines. I would rank S1 of True Detective up with The Wire. Never did get into the other two seasons though.

Paul Ben-Victor has incredible range. He's also on an X-Files episode (one of the Tooms episodes) and he plays a meek psychiatrist in that.

Everything I've seen him in he nails it and he's always doing something quite different.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I've yet to watch season 2 and 3 of True Detective, but I can tell from clips I've seen over the years, I'll definitely enjoy both.

But yeah, season 1 was some of the best television I've ever seen. Perfectly acted, written and paced.

Ginette Reno posted:

Everything I've seen him in he nails it and he's always doing something quite different.

He's amazing as Cohle and Marty's superior in TD.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kosmo Gallion posted:

He's amazing as Cohle and Marty's superior in TD.

He is. TD season 1 is one of my favorite shows I've ever watched.

I also haven't seen the sequels, though I need to.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Things that work from the serial killer storyline from the top of my head:

- Carcetti making homelessness his signature issue
- Mcnulty's criminal profile
- Mcnulty and the reporter guy visiting the homeless camp and trying to connect with people (all of the actual homeless stuff is great actually and could have used more time, like the sex trafficking sideplot from s2)
- Mcnulty's "smack daddy crack daddy" scrambled call to the reporter guy's phone
- Carcetti learning the truth as mentioned earlier

Even though most of my favorite things about it are Mcnulty-related I think he kind of drags S5 down in general. They spend too much time on him acting stupid in the homicide dept while Bunk glowers at him, and his falling off the wagon and Beadie leaving him aren't very interesting.

There's a lot of great stuff around the serial killer storyline like the Davis trial, all the broke police dept stuff (I particularly love 1) Mcnulty arriving at a homicide scene by bus, 2) Mello and Carver watching the melee in the parking lot and not bothering to break it up, and 3) the CSI people mixing up all of the actual serial killer evidence because a lab tech was replaced with a temp), and Burrell's swan song (love the scene of him pacing behind Daniels with a golf club)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like Burrell in every season (well, not “like” but you know what I mean, he’s an incredible heel) but I think he’s great in 5. Grasping like hell to stay on top of the ladder, and then the whole “they think they know police work” scene to explain why guys like him get up there and gently caress everything up in the first place. And then Rawls getting hit in the face with humble pie (though it seems Maryland will never be rid of him) and Daniels’ sordid past coming back from the shadows to catch up with him after a few seasons of people barely talking about it.

Honestly most of season 5 is on par with the rest of the series probably, it’s just too bad about the parts that aren’t

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Clay Davis trying to convince his lawyer to not only work for free, but to pay Clay for the privilege of doing so was some classic Clay.

Also lol when he's telling Lester how stupid Stringer Bell was and how much he rinsed him for. Dude was such a slow burn heel in this show, one of the highlights of S5.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've said it many times, but one of the things I found really disappointing about Season 5 (which as the "worst" season is still one of the best seasons of television ever made!) is that they simply didn't provide the nuance at the newspaper that they did in every other organization seen in the show, including in season 5! Above mentioned posts talk about Burrell and the docks and I think it stands in stark contrast: the "villains" in those seasons are shown to not be caricatures but to have reasons for what they do, why they do it, the forces that made them the way they are etc. Burrell's bitter complaining about politicians thinking they understand how to "fix" the police and crime really demonstrate how he ended up the way he did, why he made the decisions he did etc, the skills and abilities that got him to the top (I think it's season 3 or 4 where he happily "corrects" Daniels' handling of Herc's gently caress-ups to impress Carcetti).

Meanwhile, at the newspaper you've got Gus the Super Journalist vs. those pathetic dumb-dumbs running the paper and... that's all you get! There IS an underlying subtle story about how Gus is so blinkered in his efforts to be a good journalist/editor that he is missing a ton of the actual important stories happening in Baltimore, to be fair, but Whiting and Klebanow get ZERO character development. They're just idiots doing stupid things and obsessed with Pulitzers or being cronies for their rich friends. There is a very early reference to The Chicago Tribune owning them and making the big calls from above, but almost every other scene Klebanow and Whiting are in they're just made out to empty, 2-dimensional characters who only exist to frustrate Gus and other "real" journalists, and their concerns are almost all petty or self-serving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxVt8s_lpCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGBn-alTPWA

By itself these scenes holds up with any other on the show, but taken in the context of the rest of the season, we don't see anything else from Whiting to indicate that he's anything more than what we see here: a pompous boss detached from reality who is making the newspaper (and journalism!) worse.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 18, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Watching season 5.

The newspaper storyline isn't bad but they really drop you in the thick of it with the terminology and way things are run right in episode 1. I know this is how they did it in season 2 with the docks but the characters there were much more memorable and even likeable (despite what they were doing). Aside from Gus, there's nobody who stands out at The Sun.

Jimmy feels like a relic from earlier in the show. I wish he'd had the happy ending he got in season 4.

The serial killer plot really is dumb. There's no excusing it. I thought I might feel different on my sixth or so watch but yeah, it's just stupid.

A million times this, along with Lester totally going along with it.

It was hamfisted, cheesy and forced in a way that I'd expect from a networkable TV cop drama, not a top tier prestige television show, even when I stretch my disbelief and chalk it up to McNulty's raging alcoholism, on the job drinking and how that might affect his judgement. It's not enough to ruin the show and I get the point it's trying to make with how it crosses over into the media subplot (if it bleeds it leads) but it stands out as a real low point and there are other, better ways to have McNulty fake crime scene evidence to secure the funding he wants it we want to do that.

From what I had seen from Lester over 4 seasons, there's no way he gets involved in that stupid poo poo; even if he admires the balls it took (from a distance) and in an "off the record" way. At most, he'd just keep his mouth shut about it, not conspire.

I'll give it this much: it gave us one of the best scenes in the show when the FBI profiler breaks down the killer and describes Jimmy to a tee.

Jerusalem posted:

Meanwhile, at the newspaper you've got Gus the Super Journalist vs. those pathetic dumb-dumbs running the paper and... that's all you get! There IS an underlying subtle story about how Gus is so blinkered in his efforts to be a good journalist/editor that he is missing a ton of the actual important stories happening in Baltimore, to be fair, but Whiting and Klebanow get ZERO character development. They're just idiots doing stupid things and obsessed with Pulitzers or being cronies for their rich friends. There is a very early reference to The Chicago Tribune owning them and making the big calls from above, but almost every other scene Klebanow and Whiting are in they're just made out to empty, 2-dimensional characters who only exist to frustrate Gus and other "real" journalists, and their concerns are almost all petty or self-serving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxVt8s_lpCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGBn-alTPWA

By itself these scenes holds up with any other on the show, but taken in the context of the rest of the season, we don't see anything else from Whiting to indicate that he's anything more than what we see here: a pompous boss detached from reality who is making the newspaper (and journalism!) worse.

I think the newspaper stuff holds up in the way it shows how profit driven motives corrupt and ruin pretty much anything they touch and get in the way of the actual work and the supposed meaning behind it. I worked in publishing for a good long while and, even at a young age, was discouraged by how many pieces our editor wanted us to do for no other reason than to sell advertising in his magazine. He hated double page spreads (a designer's wet dream) because they were taking up space that could have been full page ads.

He went about it backwards.

It was a local sports magazine and the writers, photographers and the designer (myself) always felt that if you create a good product, it will sell and that will draw the ads but he had us doing stories about what kind of cars the Jacksonville Jaguars players drove or "features" about tailgating parties with the hope that we could sell car dealership or grocery store and BBQ restaurant ads so we wound up doing articles no one wanted to read.

The first thing an advertiser wants to know is what your circulation numbers are and the only way to drive those up is to create interesting content. Not write articles about the best fishing boats or whatever hoping that you can get a boat dealership to buy ad space.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 18, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Xiahou Dun posted:

The first season of True Detective is a millstone around the rest of the show's neck.

Season 2 and 3 are actually really good television, they're just not the lightning in a bottle dark sorcery that was season 1 so the gulf in quality seems dire.

Eh, two sucked.
Three was good again

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll give it this much: it gave us one of the best scenes in the show when the FBI profiler breaks down the killer and describes Jimmy to a tee.

PREACH!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Well?
They're in the ballpark.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I do agree that the newspaper bosses in s5 aren’t very good characters, but now that I’m paying more attention to the New York Times etc I do wonder if they’re actually unrealistic

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I do agree that the newspaper bosses in s5 aren’t very good characters, but now that I’m paying more attention to the New York Times etc I do wonder if they’re actually unrealistic

They're literally not, which is the entire problem. The biggest difference is that from season 1-3, you can see the institutions making people the way they are, despite all their good intentions and ambition. So they all feel like real people. But for the capitalists who strive to own newspapers to generate profit, the institution that drives them, capitalism/profitability/etc. is too amorphous and you never see how their good intentions are affected by the limits within which they're trying to work.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I am convinced I heard Clarke Peters doing the voiceover for (I think) a car rental business on ITV during the coverage of the Grand National on Saturday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

V-Men posted:

They're literally not, which is the entire problem. The biggest difference is that from season 1-3, you can see the institutions making people the way they are, despite all their good intentions and ambition. So they all feel like real people. But for the capitalists who strive to own newspapers to generate profit, the institution that drives them, capitalism/profitability/etc. is too amorphous and you never see how their good intentions are affected by the limits within which they're trying to work.

You can't depict capitalists as people, because they aren't.