Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I never finished spirit tracks

I hated almost everything about it except for Zelda and I got to them introducing the one hit kill trains. I tried to back away from one but it switched into my lane and got me because backing up is 10x slower and I lost a lot of progress. Just wasn't worth finishing that quest so new hyrule got ran over or whatever that plot was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Switch controls are a lot better, you can center the cursor whenever you want which is a huge upgrade.

You could do that in the wii version

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

The SS controls on Switch are pretty good for when the only thing that matters is relative orientation (like swordplay) but terrible for stuff like aiming at the screen, and I often had to re-center it every literal ten seconds (particularly during that Tadtone swimming section). I wanted to be able to use motion controls for the sword, shield, and whip but use the stick for aiming, but it wouldn't let me do that.

Can't imagine the kind of person who keeps motion control aiming on for BotW. You want the cross hair/while screen to tremor every time you want to shoot an arrow?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

motion control aiming in botw is loving perfect

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

kidcoelacanth posted:

:emptyquote:

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

kidcoelacanth posted:

Maybe if you're roleplaying as tremor-disorder Link.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm getting kinda scared for that because I'm too used to the motion controls on the PS5 version of Fortnite, and those are just way better than the Switch...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kidcoelacanth posted:

I did a shrine where I had to motion control a ball through a maze and definitely do not agree lol

After 10 tries I was like fine I'll just turn off motion control

Turns out motion control is not optional for those puzzles lol

I eventually got it but man

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

precision posted:

I did a shrine where I had to motion control a ball through a maze and definitely do not agree lol

well no those puzzles are just rear end across the board

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

think maybe you should get your hands checked mate i've never had any issues

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

precision posted:

I used motion controls to flip the maze entirely and use the smooth surface on the underside to easily complete the puzzle

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Maybe you should see a doctor? Motion control aiming a bow is like the only good use case of motion controls outside of any game without Smooth Moves in the title.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Idly, and apologies if someone already brought this up, but: there were some scenes with Sidon and, uhh, Teba's kid I forget the name of tagging along with Link. wondering if there's going to be a companion/party system. Or at the very least, the equivalents to the pre-DB team-up sections will be more freeform and less on-rails.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
An idea I've seen bounced is that "dungeons" might be extended sequences where a companion tags along, kinda like the 2 later dungeons in wind waker, so you get all your abilities at the start but still have bespoke puzzles in dungeons using new tools.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Khanstant posted:

Maybe you should see a doctor? Motion control aiming a bow is like the only good use case of motion controls outside of any game without Smooth Moves in the title.

Nope, hands definitely normal. But if I'm going for a headshot and my adrenaline is up a bit, screen is all earthquake mode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If your adrenaline goes up while playing games you should do more meditation to suppress emotional outbursts. Ideally you want to be so balanced that playing Zelda is no more exciting than watching your rock candy crystalize.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Gruckles posted:

Fusing white chu jelly to your shield to create frictionless ice beneath you as you surf would be amazing.

or red jelly to make sick flames shoot out behind you and raze the countryside.
hope: white chu jelly lets you do infinite snow surfing
reality: white chu jelly will immediately explode into a cloud of frost, freezing link and causing him to ragdoll off a cliff, killing him instantly

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blaziken386 posted:

hope: white chu jelly lets you do infinite snow surfing
reality: white chu jelly will immediately explode into a cloud of frost, freezing link and causing him to ragdoll off a cliff, killing him instantly

Sounds good to me

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Put the insurance fraud minigame from Saints Row into TotK

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

do you still get life insurance payout if you respawn afterwards

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Every time Link dies pushes you into an alternate timeline where Link didn't die there.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shiroc posted:

Every time Link dies pushes you into an alternate timeline where Link didn't die there.

This has been happening all along. That's why, canonically, there are 13 billion Zelda timelines

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

The Hero has gone by many names throughout history. Link. Butt. I farted. The thing they all share is courage.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

precision posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I used motion controls to flip the maze entirely and use the smooth surface on the underside to easily complete the puzzle

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Even with flipping the maze it took me like 20 tries because there's so much lag between the motion of the controller and the movement of the platform, and also the camera angle makes it very difficult to orient it in all three axes. The motion aiming was good but the gimmick motion puzzle stuff was bad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just realized I never beat the entirety of the second DLC in Age of Calamity. So now I have something to get me hyped for Totk

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The puzzle motion stuff is very difficult if you hold the controller like a controller. It's much easier if you flip it over and just hold it like you would any random flat object.

This obviously wouldn't help if you're playing handheld, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

But the hard part wasn't the maze. If you do that you still have to do the hard part, which is keeping the ball from going to the side when you launch it over the gap

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
tbh I couldn't even remember the motion puzzles as a common pain point since they were all one and done for me, but I think they probably just match my vibes in the way others find fulfillment in grinding out exact percentages for a perfect character build.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The fact that the motion control puzzle shrines are absolute garbage is a completely separate issue from motion control being used for aiming, I love the aiming controls but those puzzles shouldn't have made it off the drawing board.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

The fact that the motion control puzzle shrines are absolute garbage is a completely separate issue from motion control being used for aiming, I love the aiming controls but those puzzles shouldn't have made it off the drawing board.

:hmmyes:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I don't even know how to describe the way I use a combination of motion control and sticks to aim, but I do know it feels really good and natural

my hands do shake a lot but it's never been a big hinderance, and the hitboxes are generous

no argument that the motion puzzles suck and even the funny alternate solutions never feel right

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Y'all still posting about this game? Maybe if you spent more time getting uncles and less time daydreaming you'd already be halfway through the dark world map by now, like I am.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Whoa a new Zelda in a little over three weeks. Crazy to think about

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hatty posted:

Whoa a new Zelda in a little over three weeks. Crazy to think about

Already? :f5:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I can’t stop rewatching the trailer. I have a problem, someone help me

WarpDogs posted:

I don't even know how to describe the way I use a combination of motion control and sticks to aim, but I do know it feels really good and natural

At least as far as I use it, I mainly do the macro aiming (swinging around wildly, lining my shot in the general vicinity of my target) with the sticks while using the motion controls to fine-tune my shot. It’s really a beautiful system

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I can’t stop rewatching the trailer. I have a problem, someone help me

At least as far as I use it, I mainly do the macro aiming (swinging around wildly, lining my shot in the general vicinity of my target) with the sticks while using the motion controls to fine-tune my shot. It’s really a beautiful system

I really had no idea a single person thought this system was good. If I tried this strategy, I might get close to where I wanted to shoot and then the slightest motion in like my shoulder would send the arrow way to the side.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gyro aiming for micro adjustments rules.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It was actually Splatoon that sold me on that whole aiming adjustment mechanic, I went into that game fully prepared to hate it and turn it off ASAP. Turns out, it's by far my preferred style for shooting controls, so it just felt right by the time it showed up in a Zelda game.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Gruckles posted:

Gyro aiming for micro adjustments rules.

The Maroon Hawk appears to be describing Gyro aiming for macro adjustment though, which I'm baffled by, but if it works for them....

EDIT: Never mind, I misread. Don't mind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The problem with those puzzles is how skewed the camera is, its not like you can tilt straight left to make that final jump.