Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Varkk posted:

I have yet to meet a civilised tradie.

From my experience, to be a good tradie you need the sort of problem solving skills that would make you a lot of money in any other employment, but the kind of brain problems that mean you couldn't do that kind of work. So that fits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

carrionman posted:

From my experience, to be a good tradie you need the sort of problem solving skills that would make you a lot of money in any other employment, but the kind of brain problems that mean you couldn't do that kind of work. So that fits

sounds like a case for the human rights tribunal :thunk:

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Modern civilisation is a piece of poo poo and needs to be destroyed, idk if being late for everything will achieve that though

Don't worry it is.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Xik posted:

Let's all meet at Aotea Square and destroy modern civilization.

I'm ready.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

carrionman posted:

Tradies make an enragingly large amount of money and their jobs are easy as gently caress

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

Slavvy posted:

Tradies make an enragingly large amount of money and their jobs are easy as gently caress

Get a load of this buffoon lol

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Hate it when workers make a lot of money

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

bike tory posted:

Chloe pissed off the Māori caucus in the greens by campaigning for central Auckland at the same time as Marama ran for Tāmaki Makaurau. Other than that it's probably just envy because Chloe gets a lot of airtime and attention.

quote:

Prior to this month's leaked messages, Kerekere was most well-known for breaking Covid-19 isolation rules in early 2022 by flying from Gisborne to Wellington while one of her household members had tested positive.

Kerekere stepped down from her Covid-19 portfolio, but was reportedly unhappy with how the matter was handled. At the time, Stuff reported that Kerekere had strongly complained internally about a statement issued by the Greens and threatened to go to the media with her side of the story.

Someone at RNZ doesn't like her much lol.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Xik posted:

Time is an integral component to how modern civilization works, you can't opt out of it and expect to interact with the rest of it.

I don't see why not, you didn't opt into it in the first place.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

klen dool posted:

I don't see why not, you didn't opt into it in the first place.

"and interact with the rest of it" is the the important part of my post.

You can theoretically go off grid and do your thing, cottage core this poo poo up, but other than that your options are pretty limited. Even something like maintaining relationships is hard/impossible. See how long your friends and family suffer you if you never show up to your catch ups on time.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Slavvy posted:

sounds like you should pick up a hammer and a spanner!! cause half of them are too drunk and or high to even notice the kitchen sink!!!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Seeing a lot of contempt for the working class in this here communist utopia.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Is it really a communist utopia if it doesn't consist almost exclusively of 30-something men with cushy office jobs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't arrive on time for my office job and they don't ask me to because then I leave on time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rozzbot posted:

Get a load of this buffoon lol

Do you think they get paid badly or do you think plumbing and house building are mentally intensive? Where do you think all those Ford rangers come from?

Booty Pageant posted:

sounds like you should pick up a hammer and a spanner!! cause half of them are too drunk and or high to even notice the kitchen sink!!!

I'm not going to do a building apprenticeship at the age of 37. I was dumb enough to pick a trade with one of the worst ratios between required smarts and pay and here I am. I've picked up many, many spanners and all I've got to show for it is hosed up hands and poverty. If I'd been a plumber at least I'd have some money in return.

If I could do it all again I would be an IT scumbag.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Slavvy posted:

If I could do it all again I would be an IT scumbag.

Yeah we've had a good run but AI will make us obsolete soon. Might need to renew my forklift license, have they automated forklift drivers yet?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Slavvy posted:

Lmao

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Now I'm wondering which trade you picked. You say spanners but not plumbing. Maybe automotive? Possibly refrigeration?

Edit: wait, what?

Slavvy posted:

Do you think they get paid badly or do you think plumbing and house building are mentally intensive?
Are you SERIOUSLY implying that jobs that aren't mentally intensive aren't hard work???

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 18, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Automotive yeah

I should probably clarify that I guess most people think of a job as being 'hard' if it involves lots of manual labour. For me the manual labour is the easy part, it's the thinking and talking to people that's the hard part. So for me a really, really hard job would be like, hotel concierge or project administrator or some other poo poo like that, digging ditches is physically intensive but it isn't hard. I realize this is a me problem.

Anecdote: I once had a plumber landlord who was ten years older than me. He had two houses and was able to buy a $40000 classic car on a whim with cash (not literal cash you goons). He was unable to do arithmetic at a highschool level, I know this because his nurse girlfriend talked to me about the best way to tutor him through it and that is what she proceeded to do. The many tradies I've met lead me to believe this isn't particularly unusual.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Aren't plumbers uniquely well paid among tradies because they're one of the few that is unionised?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bike tory posted:

Aren't plumbers uniquely well paid among tradies because they're one of the few that is unionised?

From memory their pay is on par with sparkies, but a lot of plumbers are sole traders so they pocket a big chunk of change

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Slavvy posted:

project administrator

Fuckin Lmao

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
you'd think with how well paid and employed our plumbers are the pipes across auckland and wellington would be less hosed

also don't forget your plumber also is your gas fitter, so if you've got gas mains hooked up your life is in their literal hands!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Firstscion posted:

Fuckin Lmao

Idk is it an easy job? Like you can laugh or you can correct me idk, it looks hard to me because I'm one difficult phone call away from total collapse

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i know a guy who's got some ritzy degree out of university of delaware. he was probably mid 30s, once he got his pr and went to the local polytech to learn about being a builder so he wouldn't get screwed over on home renos, ended up becoming a builder. very easily could have been working in an office or whatever, instead got bored of comfortable small town life, splits with his mrs he came over here with, becomes a tradie in auckland apparently

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Slavvy posted:

Idk is it an easy job? Like you can laugh or you can correct me idk, it looks hard to me because I'm one difficult phone call away from total collapse

nah

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The mystery deepens

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Slavvy posted:

i hope you have someone doing the talking to the customers for you cause god drat some people have some weird ideas about their cars and the costs involved

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Booty Pageant posted:

i hope you have someone doing the talking to the customers for you cause god drat some people have some weird ideas about their cars and the costs involved

I work on bikes, gave up cars long ago because it was too soul crushing hosed up my body. My partner used to do the talking to customers and suppliers etc for me, but then she decided she didn't want to anymore. My self-employed business thing collapsed as a result because I'm not able to handle it, now my name is mud in the (extremely tiny and insular) industry and I've been in freefall since then.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Lmao

Big ‘I’ve been told to gently caress off by at least one tradie after trying to nickel and dime a quote’ energy itt rn

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

don't worry construction is mid-crash atm

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

From memory their pay is on par with sparkies, but a lot of plumbers are sole traders so they pocket a big chunk of change

Ex sparkie here, traditionally plumbers and electricians have equal wages, but as you said more sole trader plumbers.
Fridgies with electrical training is where it's at right now though, massive labour shortage.

And lol at trades being easy work. You've got about 20 years to make your money and then get out before your body falls apart.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Automotive yeah

Anecdote: I once had a plumber landlord who was ten years older than me. He had two houses and was able to buy a $40000 classic car on a whim with cash (not literal cash you goons). He was unable to do arithmetic at a highschool level, I know this because his nurse girlfriend talked to me about the best way to tutor him through it and that is what she proceeded to do. The many tradies I've met lead me to believe this isn't particularly unusual.

Thing is, it used to be if you had any sort of learning disability, or were better with your hands than your brains you were told to gently caress off and join the other dumb fucks in manual work while the future of our great nation went to university.
So you end up with a lot of people like me, who are uneducated but not dumb in trades. I didn't learn to write until I was in my early teens, at which point the education system had well and truly written me off and i know a number of very capable builders who can't really read.

If there's one thing that really needs to be driven home after Brexit, covid and all that jazz it's that educated and clever are very different things.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

carrionman posted:

And lol at trades being easy work. You've got about 20 years to make your money and then get out before your body falls apart.

nah that's when you get the office job in some outfit and clip tickets and get fat

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Xik posted:

"and interact with the rest of it" is the the important part of my post.

You can theoretically go off grid and do your thing, cottage core this poo poo up, but other than that your options are pretty limited. Even something like maintaining relationships is hard/impossible. See how long your friends and family suffer you if you never show up to your catch ups on time.

Heaps of people are perpetually late to things and flake out of obligations all the time and they drive me bananas but they seem to get along just fine.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

We very recently had heaps of renos done at our house, and I absolutely do not think builders are dumb as poo poo. They talk like they are but like I was living and working in the house while they tore it apart and out it back together and I gotta say they are loving smart.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4topF9qZSjs

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I think once again the thread has confused working class tradespeople with the petit bourgeois tradie business owners who act like they're the voice of the working poor while clearing 120k a year with all the tax breaks afforded to them

There's units being built on my street and all the non white builders and workers turn up in old Nissan sedans with their tools in the boot, while all the white dudes have late model rangers and hiluxes

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 18, 2023

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
"Plumbing" is a wide field. The guys who come and fix your leaky tap do OK but not that well because there's only so much you can charge homeowners and you got a lot of non-chargeable time in travel. The big money is the guys who own a business/named franchise and get in with property developers and employ a bunch of guys either as employees or sole traders. They'll come and do everything on a new build from drainlaying, to the internal plumbing and final fit out. Those guys work hard in all weather and might spend months in the dirt before the slabs get poured. Throw in gasfitting on top of that for the big dollars.

klen dool posted:

We very recently had heaps of renos done at our house, and I absolutely do not think builders are dumb as poo poo. They talk like they are but like I was living and working in the house while they tore it apart and out it back together and I gotta say they are loving smart.

Yeah once you're beyond simple labouring, there's a LOT of thinking ahead in multiple dimensions. To use plumbing as the example, you've got to place the toilet sewer pipe exactly where it needs to be on a bare site, with the right (legal) amount of fall from wherever it is to wherever it goes, and that placement has to take into account the final completed floor level and wall location before the pipe gets concreted in the slab never to be moved again.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I think once again the thread has confused working class tradespeople with the petit bourgeois tradie business owners who act like they're the voice of the working poor while clearing 120k a year with all the tax breaks afforded to them

There's units being built on my street and all the non white builders and workers turn up in old Nissan sedans with their tools in the boot, while all the white dudes have late model rangers and hiluxes

Yeah working tradies either drive shitboxes, or actual work vans and utes. The shiny 4 door utes with big wheels are more often driven by bosses, or Steve from accounts who obviously needs a ute to carry around his spreadsheets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i think if you work at immigration or trademe you wouldn't be proud to tell people, infact it'd be a security measure to not tell people