Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To me, at least, the EW 24-mans also have a lot less visual noise than the ShB ones. Like even when I hosed up, I could tell right away what I did wrong and what I needed to do to avoid it again in the future with most of the EW ones, while I still have no loving clue for some of the ShB ones (like the trio of jets and the third one in the second raid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The nier raids relied on environmental tells a lot more than others, I think. Flame jets from the walls, monitors displayed throughout the room, train traffic indicator lights on different tracks, etc. Probably has something to do with some of the issues people have with these raids compared to others.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Regalingualius posted:

To me, at least, the EW 24-mans also have a lot less visual noise than the ShB ones. Like even when I hosed up, I could tell right away what I did wrong and what I needed to do to avoid it again in the future with most of the EW ones, while I still have no loving clue for some of the ShB ones (like the trio of jets and the third one in the second raid).

The triple charge on the second boss of Bunker always gets people since it's not obvious where the safe spot is unless you look both at which side the blade is on and understand what direction they're charging in.

I'll also admit that I never learned the safe spot tells for the latter part of boss 3 and instead just let other people find it for me. I was too busy stabbin' to look up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Started Stormblood and, whilst I was aware this wasn't gonna be a sunshine and rainbows and the power of friendship afair from the off, this is some grim reading.

Gods, when you make the Qiqirn, the cute little rat men that normally honk when you knock them out, a ravenous bunch of cannibals all bets are off.

And lets not even start on everything, butterflies included, double the size of my not-short for a lalafell arse very much wanting me dead and eaten.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If following the crowd and hoping everyone understands the mechs better than I do in alliance raids is wrong, well, I'm probably never going to be right

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

If following the crowd and hoping everyone understands the mechs better than I do in alliance raids is wrong, well, I'm probably never going to be right

This happened last night while I was running Copied Factory: someone in our party ran one way to dodge a mechanic and 5/8 people in my party followed. The mechanic then killed all six of them because they ran the wrong way.

I ended up dance partnering with the remaining survivor afterwards, a glare spamming WHM. The rest of the party was basically a trainwreck.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ConanThe3rd posted:

And lets not even start on everything, butterflies included, double the size of my not-short for a lalafell arse very much wanting me dead and eaten.

It's lovely. So many depictions of the type of landscape I grew up in forget the giant carnivorous insects.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah the Nier raids could stand to lose like 15-20% HP across the board.

They aren't bad if all the DPS stay alive and press their buttons in the right order. Unfortunately they usually turn into mass casualty events.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

My only experience with Neir raids is when a friend and I went through them when they were current. Everyone knew where to go so I didn't have to learn poo poo it was nice

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

My first time through the first two Nier raids was as BLM. I was not very good at BLM, and died a lot while staring at my hotbar. 10/10 would recommend.

I'm glad active cast Enochian is dead and in hell now.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

May it burn forevermore

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Not empty quoting

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I wanted to try BLM again so I thought "Let's do Copied Factory". That reminded me why I don't play BLM. I feel like if you want to be any good at BLM you have to make it your main and put all your energy into it compared to just loving around on a SMN.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

This happened last night while I was running Copied Factory: someone in our party ran one way to dodge a mechanic and 5/8 people in my party followed. The mechanic then killed all six of them because they ran the wrong way.

danger dorito works both ways :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Spuzzz posted:

I wanted to try BLM again so I thought "Let's do Copied Factory". That reminded me why I don't play BLM. I feel like if you want to be any good at BLM you have to make it your main and put all your energy into it compared to just loving around on a SMN.

At least it wasn't Puppet Bunker

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I am a BLM main and Puppet Bunker hates BLMs so much.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What does it have against BLM in particular?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

There’s a lot of movement. In particular, I’m always useless in the hallway boss once I’m out of Triplecast and Swiftcast since you have to dodge both the ground AOEs and the balls.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Lots of heavy movement, several untargetable boss phases where you'll always lose AF/UI. BLMs get super mobile by level 90, but are still missing a few of those important tools (including the UI3 refresher) at 80.

It's also not kind to players watching their hotbar instead of the fight, and BLM tempts you to watch for those juicy Thundercloud/Firestarter procs.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I have no idea how you'd do anything on that hallway as BLM besides just trying not to die.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I simply cast fire 4

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Lots of heavy movement, several untargetable boss phases where you'll always lose AF/UI. BLMs get super mobile by level 90, but are still missing a few of those important tools (including the UI3 refresher) at 80.

It's also not kind to players watching their hotbar instead of the fight, and BLM tempts you to watch for those juicy Thundercloud/Firestarter procs.

Honestly wish they’d take a cue from WoW and at least have an option for a graphic effect to flash on your screen whenever you have stuff like Thundercloud proc.

Especially since BLM’s job gauge is already so cluttered.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ConanThe3rd posted:

Started Stormblood and, whilst I was aware this wasn't gonna be a sunshine and rainbows and the power of friendship afair from the off, this is some grim reading.

Gods, when you make the Qiqirn, the cute little rat men that normally honk when you knock them out, a ravenous bunch of cannibals all bets are off.

I really wish they did more with the Ala Mhigo Qiqirn. (later SB spoilers)There's even a unique model Qiqirn ambassador that shows up for one scene and never again. Maybe I missed some sidequest they're involved in, but I at least went around and looked at all the sidequests and if he was involved, it was not in a sidequest that had a header image.

As for the last point, it gets worse. I went through three zones in Shadowbringers before finding something that wasn't hostile. And it was bats, who should by rights be incredibly pissed by the situation.

e:

Spuzzz posted:

I was looking at my BLM glam earlier and thinking "I should play BLM more" but apparently post-ShB is not the appropriate time to pick it back up.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 18, 2023

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

black mage also just gets way more mobile the higher you go so don’t resist the temptation of fire 4 imo

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Nobody make any sudden movements, they startle easily..."
Bro glammed his retainer.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I played BLM right before EW came out, and when I tried to get it from 80 to 90 a few months ago, I realized that I had completely forgotten how it works and I don't want to re-learn.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I had that revelation in the 60's the first time through, and I'm trying to relearn it on my alt now that I'm back on the leveling curve. Dunno if I'm ever going to main this (I've been using RDM as my 90 DPS), but I really want to at least have the basics.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just finished taking Black Mage from 1-90, and the things that stuck out most are:

• I'm glad I played Summoner first, because it's way more forgiving. That made it easier to play Black Mage, because I knew a lot of things to not do.
  • I heard that it was a hard Job to play, because everything changes every few levels. While things do change every few levels, it's not as bad as I was thinking. "Hard To Play" is probably more about end game stuff, which I don't do.
  • You can tell it was the first Job to have a Job Gauge made, because it's a hot mess.

All in all, it was fun to play, and I don't regret making it my 5th Level 90 Job.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I liked BLM better than DRG for sure. BLM doesn't really get fun until you get the big fire and ice spells, so like level 60ish, but once you do it's pretty good, even if difficult to optimize with the mobility troubles.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Regalingualius posted:

Honestly wish they’d take a cue from WoW and at least have an option for a graphic effect to flash on your screen whenever you have stuff like Thundercloud proc.

Especially since BLM’s job gauge is already so cluttered.

If you've got a spare hotbar, you can do what I do and make it larger and placed in a separate, more readable area and only put important cooldowns and procs on it. Keep the button you press on the normal hotbars, but use the new bar to keep an eye on things. It isn't as flashy and attention-grabbing as WoW's stuff, especially with Weak Auras, but I honestly vastly prefer the simplicity over the flash.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

dumped all my extra abyssos books on BLM gear cause BLM is cool and the set is sick af

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kerrzhe posted:

dumped all my extra abyssos books on BLM gear cause BLM is cool and the set is sick af

Oh that's freakin' tight

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, the Abyssos casting pieces are pretty sick. I'm still using a Classical/Panthean glam on RDM, but I want to get one together with the flaming horn helmet

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

black mage

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

I don’t have any pics on hand, but the final stage of the HW SMN relic was practically made for that set

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

It's lovely. So many depictions of the type of landscape I grew up in forget the giant carnivorous insects.

Ala Mhigo is based on Australia?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I NEVER LEVELED WARRIOOOOOOOOOR

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

(u fuckin should haaaaave)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Spuzzz posted:

Red mage 4ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Dareon posted:

I NEVER LEVELED WARRIOOOOOOOOOR

THE ROOOOOOOOAD THAT WE WAAAAAAALK