Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
I was hopeful because, out of the list of 22 books it gave me, all of them were real except that one and it was smack in the middle of the set. Sure, some were repeats but they were all legit publications. I wanted to believe!

Now I think my mission is to get it to write the Fall of New York.

Slig fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I believe it is drawing this from the various sourcebooks that do talk about the loss/reclaiming of New York for Johnny Camarilla, which was a thing that happened in the metaplot.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

This may just be my brain filling in gaps but I could have sworn a "Fall of New York" adventure was at least mentioned at one point in the last X years since V5 was originally released.

Pretty sure the only adventures that have actually been released were "Fall of London" and "Let the Streets Run Red".

And whatever the free NYE stories Renegade has put out the last...2 years (?).

Tbh you could probably take any classic Vampire adventure and just adjust as necessary to fit the changes to mechanics or metaplot points you may or may not want to work with.

And if you need to know how things are going in NYC in the current meta, I'm almost certain the White Wolf wiki (https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page) has full summaries of both Coteries and Shadows of New York, the two visual novels set in NY in the current edition so you can certainly pull ideas from there. Also poke around there or elsewhere online, I'm sure some nerds have written up detailed information about the "New York by Night" youtube series.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

The ad copy certainly makes it sound like a traditional edition of Apocalypse. "Gaia is dying/New generation of Garou/When you Rage" etc.

My hope is that in spite of the reboot taking up some of Forsaken's beats (a more hostile spirit world, the Get of Fenris maybe becoming a softer version of the Pure, making it not totally clear-cut how one becomes a werewolf a la Forsaken 2e), the core of Apocalypse is still there, that being "The people killing the world have names and addresses. If you can master your righteous fury and improve the dysfunctional society around you, you just might make things better. If not, you can at least turn said people into a fine pink mist."

I could have sworn I saw a preview that said Gaia's straight up dead, though, and that the Garou were living in what they consider the post-apocalypse, it's just that the rest of the world doesn't know things are already over yet. I probably just confused some early material.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

This may just be my brain filling in gaps but I could have sworn a "Fall of New York" adventure was at least mentioned at one point in the last X years since V5 was originally released.

The idea that there was a Fall of New York book that would have seamlessly updated the last 20 some years was just too attractive for my mind to give up on even though most of me knew it was not going to be real.

I picked up the old New York By Night book as a baseline to work from and I've also been falling back down the lore rabbit hole between the wiki and Becketts Jyhad Diary. I think I saw in the thread that at least one other person was running a NY game so I want to pick through those posts as well for inspiration.

I plan on tinkering with some metaplot elements. Like it feels silly that Tzimisce would have just hosed off. I've got in mind what I think would be a natural progression of The Eldest's metamorphosis and ways I could introduce that to the players.

Of course everyone wants a game to start yesterday so I was initially looking for something quick to drop them into and run while I set up all the connective tissue to the plot lines I've got in mind for them to encounter or ignore.

Since the players themselves don't know poo poo about WoD it only makes sense that they would be younger vampires to start with, stumbling through those first nights of gently caress around and find out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Certainly if you start in New York after when NY By Night is set (and it's a great book), there's a lot of opportunity for a bunch of neonates to do their thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What happened to my bro Calebros?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

What happened to my bro Calebros?

Hanging out doing stuff, just off screen :v:

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Free Cog posted:

I could have sworn I saw a preview that said Gaia's straight up dead, though, and that the Garou were living in what they consider the post-apocalypse, it's just that the rest of the world doesn't know things are already over yet. I probably just confused some early material.

That's just real life.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Slig posted:

I think I saw in the thread that at least one other person was running a NY game so I want to pick through those posts as well for inspiration.

That would be me, so you can easily go through my post history :) My main sources of inspiration are Coteries and Shadows, but I've perused the old New York by Night source book to fill gaps as needed.

Do note that our group is not American, so we view the city through a different lens than people living in the area. I'm intrigued to hear how your game goes!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm in NYC and have fun a bunch of games set there over the years, but honestly I rarely take more than a pinch from the actual metaplot and usually make up my own stuff for the bulk of things. If you wanna run a fresh group through and have them learn as they go, honestly it's not a half bad idea to start them out as fresh thinbloods and have them learn the ropes alongside their PCs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

Hanging out doing stuff, just off screen :v:

Also smart enough to not want to be Prince, especially of New York of all places.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I'm in NYC and have fun a bunch of games set there over the years, but honestly I rarely take more than a pinch from the actual metaplot and usually make up my own stuff for the bulk of things. If you wanna run a fresh group through and have them learn as they go, honestly it's not a half bad idea to start them out as fresh thinbloods and have them learn the ropes alongside their PCs.

I debated this but my concern would be system learning curve plus Thinbloods being kill on sight in the eyes of many would just steepen the barrier to entry for a group that's used to just stepping into superhero shoes every time with D&D type systems.

That said I do want to create an incentive for at least one of them to go Thinblood so I can introduce the prospect of diablerie at a more personal level than a system that exists in the world and see how the rest of the coterie would respond to it. Who knows they might all go murderhobo diablerist and bring some serious heat down on themselves.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Also smart enough to not want to be Prince, especially of New York of all places.

:hmmyes: let Panhard deal with that poo poo, she seems to have it under control.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/worldofdarkness/status/1647980793799516160

Wolfse

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
We're starting to get previews of material from Tome of the Pentacle, last week's was Adamantine Arrow factions, this week's is the Tremere.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Berkshire Hunts posted:

We're starting to get previews of material from Tome of the Pentacle, last week's was Adamantine Arrow factions, this week's is the Tremere.

Oh poo poo, and just yesterday I was moping about how M:tAw was never getting any more material. Nice!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Lol, of course more info about the Tremere drops the day AFTER I finish my long-running Mage game where the Tremere were the main antagonists. Still, that's a cool preview and I'm so glad that Tome of the Pentacle, at least, hasn't been strangled.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

how the poo poo do you log into this thing? I wanted to see if it could generate a list of names for me since that's probably what I spend the most time doing when I'm writing up the plots for my games and the online name generators suck so bad, but I keep getting "email not supported". I tried a couple other text generators, but with the prompt of "A list of ten names for a south texas town" broke all of them or gave me poo poo like "john smith." loving thanks, Skynet, I never would have thought of that one on my own.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

Soonmot posted:

how the poo poo do you log into this thing? I wanted to see if it could generate a list of names for me since that's probably what I spend the most time doing when I'm writing up the plots for my games and the online name generators suck so bad, but I keep getting "email not supported". I tried a couple other text generators, but with the prompt of "A list of ten names for a south texas town" broke all of them or gave me poo poo like "john smith." loving thanks, Skynet, I never would have thought of that one on my own.

I used Gmail to log into it. FYI, I kept digging to see what it would give me and while it gave me some interesting and reasonable plot hooks it seemed to just steal names from the wiki and decide they were entirely different characters like Aisling suddenly becoming a Toreador.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah I tried gmail and hotmail, then followed a few terrible youtubes on how to fix the issue but couldn't log in. Oh well, I'll stick to what I've been using.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently Outstar mentioned somewhere the Fianna have been renamed for 5E, which is nice.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently Outstar mentioned somewhere the Fianna have been renamed for 5E, which is nice.
They may be a little less Up The Ra: The Tribe, one hopes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

If they're taking a page from Forsaken where Tribes are much more 'how you do things' then having a tribe devoted to... let's make it really broad (so anyone could be a member) and say history you could easily change their name to the Lore Keepers or something.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Slig posted:

I used Gmail to log into it. FYI, I kept digging to see what it would give me and while it gave me some interesting and reasonable plot hooks it seemed to just steal names from the wiki and decide they were entirely different characters like Aisling suddenly becoming a Toreador.

Must have been something on my other laptop that was preventing, thought I cleared my cache properly but whatever. I gave it a shot on my outside laptop and logged in fine. Not only is it able to generate the list of names I asked, but I had it write a short profile for a real estate agent and the company they worked for since I didn't plan any sort of long term or supernatural elements there. Useful tool.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nessus posted:

Not sure what that means, but it would be nice if the Fianna weren't Werewolf: The Riverdance.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Everyone posted:

Not sure what that means, but it would be nice if the Fianna weren't Werewolf: The Riverdance.
The Fianna were very much about the early 90s gestalt of Enya music and NORAID and the troubles and so forth. The Good Friday Agreement basically resolved this or at least ended the open sectarian warfare. Ireland is an affluent tax shelter now. The six counties are also doing ok if still under Charles’ cruel yoke.

Basically it aged poorly.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nessus posted:

The Fianna were very much about the early 90s gestalt of Enya music and NORAID and the troubles and so forth. The Good Friday Agreement basically resolved this or at least ended the open sectarian warfare. Ireland is an affluent tax shelter now. The six counties are also doing ok if still under Charles’ cruel yoke.

Basically it aged poorly.

To be fair, from talking with a friend who lives in Ireland, there actually are worries now about the Troubles starting up again thanks to Tory fuckups.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Very true but also we know from Star Trek when reunification occurs.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Nessus posted:

Very true but also we know from Star Trek when reunification occurs.

Only one more year! And it seems the UK government is dead set on loving up enough to actually bring that prediction to fruit.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Only one more year! And it seems the UK government is dead set on loving up enough to actually bring that prediction to fruit.

Irish Reunification will happen because the England (possibly without Scotland) was too busy Brexiting from the EU to stop it.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
I have mixed feelings on unification. On one hand it would be nice to get the part of the country stolen back, on the other if we get it back we'll actually have to deal with all the issues up north.
It's funny when it causes problems for the UK. It will be less funny when we actually have to deal with it ourselves.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

psudonym55 posted:

I have mixed feelings on unification. On one hand it would be nice to get the part of the country stolen back, on the other if we get it back we'll actually have to deal with all the issues up north.
It's funny when it causes problems for the UK. It will be less funny when we actually have to deal with it ourselves.

Get ready to never shut up about us Plastic Paddies if so. You think we're insufferable NOW?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
In Children of Húrin at least, Túrin and Nellas are childhood friends, but Túrin becomes an adult while Nellas remains a child.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Flakey posted:

In Children of Húrin at least, Túrin and Nellas are childhood friends, but Túrin becomes an adult while Nellas remains a child.

Yeah I think this is a side effect of the Week of Nightmares/ Avatar storm but I'm not totally sure it was ever made explicit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah I think this is a side effect of the Week of Nightmares/ Avatar storm but I'm not totally sure it was ever made explicit.
Surely it was the Time War and all that stuff with the War Doctor?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

cptn_dr posted:

Wow I sure posted that in the wrong thread late at night. :dumb:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Indeed they have, she posted the updated tribe list with the news announce today
"Hart Wardens" isn't as cool as the new names for the Uktena/Wendigo but eh, it's fine.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Motherfucking Ghost Council!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Berkshire Hunts posted:

This is honestly making me less interested in a book I was really excited about (when it was announced like 7 years ago). Almost nothing in the past two previews is anything that hasn't been in another book on my shelf.