Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I feel like you skipped some vital information here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Here have something official https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1648017773023629318?s=20

Tbh I thought "the guy denied a trial by jury" was clear enough

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, the Special Criminal Court is always juryless. Looks like the prosecutors swung too hard here when they could maybe have gotten him on the same "assisting" charge they got the rest on.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

From my reading of it, the Judges basically said that the recordings were enough evidence to support the idea that Hutch planned the killings and organised them, but not enough to support the idea that he literally pulled the trigger*.

I believe the Judges were also sceptical of the idea of a 50-60 year old man doing a bunch of tacticool rolling and stuff caught on CCTV.

If I had to guess, somebody wanted to pin Hutch as one of the two trigger men so they could officially close the book on that part of the investigation. And in so doing ended up with nothing.

I'm wondering if the Spanish Authorities have something to arrest him on, since he was originally arrested by Spain before being extradited.

* = I believe there was some evidence linking one of the AK 47's to Hutch but not in a "he held it as it was used to kill someone kind of way."

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I think the judges weren't convinced Dowdall was the trustworthy witness that the media had been painting him as. I guess they had an interest in that because they could use him to attack SF.

On the face of it though he only became a witness when it was going to be pinned on him, so it came across that he was lying to save his own skin.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

quote:

A former Democratic Unionist Party councillor has pleaded guilty to a charge of attempted sexual communication with a child.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-65297860

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Didn't he already do that a while back?

Standish
May 21, 2001

Marenghi posted:

I think the judges weren't convinced Dowdall was the trustworthy witness that the media had been painting him as. I guess they had an interest in that because they could use him to attack SF.

On the face of it though he only became a witness when it was going to be pinned on him, so it came across that he was lying to save his own skin.

https://twitter.com/paulmurphy_TD/status/1648254070799360000 :lol:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Like they'd let facts get in their way. Fionnan Sheahan. The fella who got red faced shouting at the inner city artist who made the painting of the guards, wrote an article still using Dowdal to attack Mary Lou.

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1648237527596253186

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You'd think by now there'd be at least some sense of not drawing too much attention to the gammoney fucks in too short a period of time, but apparently not.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

This is what happens when a spide grows up.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Okay, who turned up the Transphobic dial cause I had my mother and aunt asking about providing bathrooms for Trans students and litter boxes for furries....

We also seem to have a case of a trans masc student being told he would not be allowed to attend his school anymore as it was considered an All Girls school and students would feel uncomfortable etc.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PowerBeard posted:

Okay, who turned up the Transphobic dial cause I had my mother and aunt asking about providing bathrooms for Trans students and litter boxes for furries....

Mark Zuckerberg. Jack Dorsey. Elon Musk. Rupert Murdoch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That last one is particularly annoying because the reason they have those is because when the children in the US are hiding in their classrooms from murderous gun nuts they need somewhere to poo poo, which the gunfuckers in government who refuse to do anything about that, then latch onto the consequences of their own actions and blame somebody else for it, as usual.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

OwlFancier posted:

That last one is particularly annoying because the reason they have those is because when the children in the US are hiding in their classrooms from murderous gun nuts they need somewhere to poo poo, which the gunfuckers in government who refuse to do anything about that, then latch onto the consequences of their own actions and blame somebody else for it, as usual.
This is a really important point to hammer home. Even if there's a kernel of truth to whatever bullshit they've heard, once you contextualise that then it makes the source of the bullshit look untrustworthy to them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, hopefully if you catch it early and point that out to them it will trigger such visceral disgust that they will project that onto wherever they got that information from.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
The litter box one keeps doing the rounds every few weeks since mid-late last year.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It does the rounds because of what OwlFancier pointed out. If you can generate that visceral disgust reaction then whatever made you feel it is bad and must be stamped out. Making sure that people know it's a consequence of Republicans prefering gun lobby money to kids being safe is a cheap shot, but it's a shot that hits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taking cheap shots is what the gun lobby would want.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:hmmyes:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://twitter.com/jasonomahony/status/1651344983432069125

Join NATO to make it an absolute certainty, rather than a chance, that we'll be the target of nukes.

It's been a year of brain dead takes from liberals wanting us to join NATO so we can die in WW3 as America's good little toy soldiers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That one is the most :allears: take because as it stands joining NATO will just mean that those locations only get nuked once, to deny them to NATO, and not nuked twice, to also deny them to non NATO.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The implied scenario of Ireland not being nuked somehow during WW III is very silly, like hey if joining NATO somehow ensures that we wouldn't be hit, is that preferable?? Wouldn't you prefer to be a shadow on a footpath instead of waiting around for some cloud to waft over and all your teeth and hair falls out

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Cork could use the tidying up.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I love the big brain that Russia would target Ireland in a WWIII scenario if Ireland was not a part of NATO, to deny the use of ports for NATO. However, if we were in NATO, we wouldn't get nuked because then the ports would be used by NATO, which Russia would be okay with.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If he's that worried about the inevitable nuclear desolation of Cork then the logical option would be an independent Irish nuclear deterrent with a no first use policy.

Doesn't change anything, but it's less violent and costly than joining NATO and it'll be a local job creation opportunity.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Adi Roche just got a migraine

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Isn't Cork used to calibrate UK nukes?
Think it was on QI, could be wrong like usual.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Isn't Cork used to calibrate UK nukes?
Think it was on QI, could be wrong like usual.

Brits determined to finish the job they started in Dec 2020. Little do they realise we rebuilt Patrick St. to be nuke -resistant

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Cork was nuked in the 1950s but nobody noticed.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://twitter.com/Ballymagash_T/status/1651600157668962311

SF gathered data on Collins, which they gave to their handlers in Russia, who passed it on to their front outlet the Ditch. All as part of a grand conspiracy to bring down FFG over claims of corruption.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Old apt is up on Daft for 345k :stare:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shoehead posted:

Old apt is up on Daft for 345k :stare:

I'm afraid I don't know how much your old apartment used to be worth

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm afraid I don't know how much your old apartment used to be worth

Me neither, I imagine it's quite a return on investment when you consider they got something like 16 years of non-stop rent on it too. It's also only about 10k cheaper than some of the houses nearby which is what really boggles my mind

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
The high property prices kinda put a damper on the idea that landlords are leaving due to regulations.

For how much the gov loves the free market they seem not to understand the principle of buy low/sell high. Why would landlords not get out now while their investments have close to doubled in value on top of the years of rent they collected. Especially with the banking crisis in the US. No one wants to be left holding the bag.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
“it is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bear in mind, some of those Daft Listingd could be because Landlords give tenants notice to quit on the basis that they were selling up.
So if one was paranoid, they could say that they put these notices up with the idea that they won't sell, and now they'll have to go back to renting them out.

All that being said, my experience is that a lot of landlords are trying to sell up. (Who is buying them, no clue. Wouldn't surprise me if it was money from outside the jurisdiction. ) I think it's being done with a view for some that if they offer to sell, they can then get the local County Council to buy them as part of the Government's new programme. They won't make as much of a profit as if it had gone onto the private market, but it will be guaranteed State money.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If I were a renter being kicked out for sale right now I'd be making it very clear that I will be monitoring the property price register and pursuing it through PRTB .

Not that it would make a blind bit of difference, but might as well try to ruin the cunts' week as much as possible

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

If I were a renter being kicked out for sale right now I'd be making it very clear that I will be monitoring the property price register and pursuing it through PRTB .

Not that it would make a blind bit of difference, but might as well try to ruin the cunts' week as much as possible

As nice as it is to imagine some sort of revenge scenario, the honest truth from dealing with people in those situations is they are too busy trying to source new accommodations for them and their family or getting homeless support. Maybe after they get sorted, they can look at getting some form of justice.

Shizzle is real bad out there for a lot of people at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I had a friend who bought a basement apt in the same development, 2 bed like mine, with a much smaller floorplan, next to the bins, with a dodgy boiler in, for slightly less than my old one is going for, which is pretty funny, but he also let us know he has a low opinion of the people who used to rent his place because... well they were renters. So yeah whatever helps you not think about the family that used to live there getting the boot so you could get in there I guess.
Anyway I stopped replying to him when he messages me over it...

It's been difficult not to project that kind of attitude to ALL owner/occupiers of former rental properties, but at least..uuhh at least they aren't property speculators