Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Whats the best one liner in all of Star Trek because goddamn Worf's " At the first sign of betrayal I will kill him" is pretty high up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Damar to Weyoun: "Maybe you should go talk to Worf again."

Q has a lot of bangers though.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Q to Worf: Eat any good books lately?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Morn: "We're all doomed"

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
<paraphrased>

Tom (rightfully sheepish, actually embarrassed): "er, sorry that I kinda went insane, turned us into lizards, and hosed you and made babies, Captain.....honestly"
Janeway: "HEY NOW BUDDY I PROBABLY hosed YOU, GETTING SOME OF DAT SWEET SALAMANDER DICK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
Tom: "......."
Janeway: ".......return to the helm, Mr. Paris"

And honestly, anything the EMH says.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Whats the best one liner in all of Star Trek because goddamn Worf's " At the first sign of betrayal I will kill him" is pretty high up there.

It’s not really a one-liner, unless you count just the first “No” or the final “harumph”, but Odo just refusing to satisfy Quark’s need for respect at the end.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Someone to Watch Over Me is such a great episode.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

It’s not really a one-liner, unless you count just the first “No” or the final “harumph”, but Odo just refusing to satisfy Quark’s need for respect at the end.

what, you didn't see that outtake where they started making out instead?

edit: found it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 18, 2023

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Hollismason posted:

Lt. Cmdr. Data : Then I will delete the appropriate program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxv8owZRW-o

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
When those Irish people started a fire in the cargo bay and the fire suppression system put it out that drunk guy asks Worf “what if I’d been under that thing?”

“You would have been standing in the fire.”

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

PenisMonkey posted:

When those Irish people started a fire in the cargo bay and the fire suppression system put it out that drunk guy asks Worf “what if I’d been under that thing?”

They should have killed those people

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I think you could make the assumption that those sexless clone nerds killed them all rather than have sex with them. Probably put them all in pods to harvest their genetic material.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Q: "Jean-Luc, sometimes I think the only reason I come here is to listen to those wonderful speeches of yours."

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 18, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I've always liked Worfs "I am not a Merry Man!"

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

My favorite line delivery just for the voice work is Sisko saying "Battle stations" when he sees the Klingons about to attack DS9.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

My answer for 'best line' is always the same. Sulu gets shot up with the fear reducing concoction by Bones in TOS' Wolf In The Fold, and as the drug starts to take effect, Kirk warns about people getting scared. Takei's loopy "With an armload of this stuff, I wouldn't be scared of a suuuuuupernova!" kills me every time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

And honestly, anything the EMH says.

The time Paris was in sickbay and asleep and Janeway told the doctor to wake him up, so the doctor leaned over and just shouted, "Wake up!" at him.

Had me in goddamn stitches.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Series: DS9
Episode: Take Me Out To The Holosuite
Context: the ops crew of DS9 is learning how to intimidate the batter at the plate with chatter.

Everyone else: Heyyyyy batter batterbatter SWING batterbatter
Worf: DEATH TO THE OPPOSITION

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mycomancy posted:

Series: DS9
Episode: Take Me Out To The Holosuite
Context: the ops crew of DS9 is learning how to intimidate the batter at the plate with chatter.

Everyone else: Heyyyyy batter batterbatter SWING batterbatter
Worf: DEATH TO THE OPPOSITION

It is a good day to fly!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Assimilate this!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Q: How can I prove to you that I'm now mortal??
Worf: Die.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Please, friends, choose to live.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wait no not that one sorry I'm trying to remove it sorry

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Also the whole thing about them having spaceships but unable to find water.

It's funny because the only two major science fiction series that haven't done this are Babylon 5, and Star Wars

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm still a fan of Data's tonal shift in Generations when he tries a drink with his emotion chip on.

Data: "I HATE this! This is awful!"
Guinan: "More?"
Data: "Yes, please."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I had a possibly favorite line delivery in Trek spring up on me last night during Voyager. I can't remember the exact quote, but Paris, Torres, and some character from the Equinox are talking about how Torres ended up with the crew of Voyager.

Tom just says something like, "...and it's been hell ever since."

I got a pretty good laugh out of it, but I don't know why. It felt like something Al Bundy would have said.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

"It's a faaaaaaake!"

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm still a fan of Data's tonal shift in Generations when he tries a drink with his emotion chip on.

Data: "I HATE this! This is awful!"
Guinan: "More?"
Data: "Yes, please."

I always thought giving Data the emotion chip was the worst idea because Data is so well-played because Brent Spiner is a complete ham and the balance of emotionless android and Spiner's capacity for overacting everything lands just about perfect. You end up with a robotic peformance infused with humanity. Give him the opportunity to intentionally emote though, and it flies off the scale.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

roomtone posted:

I always thought giving Data the emotion chip was the worst idea because Data is so well-played because Brent Spiner is a complete ham and the balance of emotionless android and Spiner's capacity for overacting everything lands just about perfect. You end up with a robotic peformance infused with humanity. Give him the opportunity to intentionally emote though, and it flies off the scale.

It did give Spiner a chance to flex his acting chops more.

Like in First Contact, he tells... Riker I think that he's scared, Riker tells him to turn off his emotion chip for a bit and Data just cocks his head slightly and all the emotion disappears from Spiner's face.

There was a Frakes interview where he said if you catch Spiner on the right day, he can do an entire conversation between Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan with drat accurate impersonations and switching between them seamlessly.

naem
May 29, 2011

PenisMonkey posted:

star trek routinely assuming all Irish people are heathen bog cavemen somehow

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

naem posted:

Just going with the priors of their middle class audience.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

call me hutch

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

naem posted:

That’s only the Space Irish, and they were not happy with the reunification in 2024. Why do you think they left?

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 18, 2023

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Luddites starting a space colony seems like a contradiction

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GolfHole posted:

call me hutch

Let's be honest, the attack on that party was something of a relief for all concerned.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Did Sisko actually cause the death of countless Starfleet, Klingon, Romulans, and Cardassians?

I'm thinking back to The Visitor episode of DS9. The 'death' of Sisko in the very early days of the Dominion/Alpha Quadrant aggression seems to have minimized the Dominion War.

It seems like the Founders are able to use their control of the Klingons to control Alpha Quadrant access to the Gamma quadrant, so the war is completely avoided since there is little chance of anyone from the Alpha side messing with them. There doesn't seem to be a mention of the Dominion War in the alt future. So either it was ended early with little bloodshed or the Klingon-Dominion control of the wormhole allowed them to create a false narrative of a relationship between the two.

Starfleet/Federation seems to be in good shape by the point of Jake and Nog's adulthood decades past Sisko's death.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

nine-gear crow posted:

Story reasons being they can hit the reset button on anyone taken over by a changeling where as the neck bugs kill can't be removed without killing the host so anyone who got bugged was a dead person walking.

Bit old, but this is bullshit. It's been how many years in setting and you think they haven't techno-babbled their way into a fix?

Heck, with the Borg schisming into a friendly cooperative and an old school hostile collective that would add another villain to reflect on and parallel with borg victims that were freed, something that's a major plot point that gets ruined in the first season.

I'm guessing Kurtzmann is being hamstrung from someone higher up that believes they can't alter the TNG era series too much outside of depressing fan service appearances because that makes no loving sense otherwise. Also, it fits with Star Trek having increasing amounts of interference from administrative types loving things up as the years go by.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 18, 2023

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

Did Sisko actually cause the death of countless Starfleet, Klingon, Romulans, and Cardassians?

I'm thinking back to The Visitor episode of DS9. The 'death' of Sisko in the very early days of the Dominion/Alpha Quadrant aggression seems to have minimized the Dominion War.

It seems like the Founders are able to use their control of the Klingons to control Alpha Quadrant access to the Gamma quadrant, so the war is completely avoided since there is little chance of anyone from the Alpha side messing with them. There doesn't seem to be a mention of the Dominion War in the alt future. So either it was ended early with little bloodshed or the Klingon-Dominion control of the wormhole allowed them to create a false narrative of a relationship between the two.

Starfleet/Federation seems to be in good shape by the point of Jake and Nog's adulthood decades past Sisko's death.

The real answer is this is early season 4 and didn't plan on the war arc yet but yes what you say fits what we see. Klingons get the station because there's no Sisko.

On the season 4 DVD I have they talk about how they wanted to shake things up but didn't know what to do. They talked about blowing up the station/Bajor even. So instead they went with Worf/Klingons.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

In hindsight The Visitor is a cautionary tale about what happens when you gently caress up the timeline for personal, sentimental reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

When did the Klingons get infiltrated?

If it hadn't happened yet by then my assumption was basically that the Klingons effectively blocked up the wormhole. Mined it and surrounded it with a bajillion guns so nothing could come through.