Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Congrats! I just broke 1500 in Lichess rapid and am happy in my mediocrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dings in Time Trouble

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Now they're both in time trouble!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

dude this is so tense right now

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

i have been trying to work all day with the stream going in the background, and it's literally impossible

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Exercu posted:

i have been trying to work all day with the stream going in the background, and it's literally impossible
:same:

also holy poo poo youtube chat is so bad, i had to block it after the first 30 seconds was full of people complaining about :females: commentating on chess

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jesus WEP posted:

:same:

also holy poo poo youtube chat is so bad, i had to block it after the first 30 seconds was full of people complaining about :females: commentating on chess

sorry that was me. im trying to delete it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hply crap just make a move ding your under 3 minutes with 9 moves left

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

under 1 minute he hasnt moved

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Really not liking the Naroditsky commentary here. Who else is covering this?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol he has to make 8 moves in 45 seconds

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
drat, watching Ding freeze was excruciating.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Baronash posted:

drat, watching Ding freeze was excruciating.

i am feeling incredibly stressed out and im not even playing

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I picked an interesting time to tune in to the stream. It comes up to all the commentators literally yelling at their screens for Ding to do something, anything.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Another loving decisive game WHAT IS HAPPENING

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Hand Knit posted:

Really not liking the Naroditsky commentary here. Who else is covering this?

The official fide stream seems to change caster every day, today they seems to have forgotten the good mics. Chessnetwork tries to do beginner friendly commentary, but is boring as usual. Jan Gustavson is on the German stream.

Now that I think about it, I am surprised that Hikaru and Magnus are not streaming, they usually have something on for the big tournaments.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

god drat that sucks

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I haven't been watching chess for that long but I've never really seen anything like that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this match kicks so much rear end, fide should have told magnus to gently caress off years ago

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

Now that I think about it, I am surprised that Hikaru and Magnus are not streaming, they usually have something on for the big tournaments.
Hikaru is covering most games, streaming commentary on Kick and he is doing recap videos that come out very quickly. He didn't stream it today because on Tuesday he plays both Titled Tuesdays on Twitch and it is already a long stream.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jesus WEP posted:

this match kicks so much rear end, fide should have told magnus to gently caress off years ago

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

mikeraskol posted:

I haven't been watching chess for that long but I've never really seen anything like that.

Last big timeout reversal was when Magnus went on tilt during the rapid championship a few years ago, I think.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

No one has the balls to play fun stuff against Magnus. So now we get the real fun because Ding and Nepo are just coming at each other like angry beavers.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Ian looks like he knows exactly how Ding is feeling. Hell of a match.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Meadowhill posted:

Ian looks like he knows exactly how Ding is feeling. Hell of a match.
ian and ding both seem like real nice dudes, another reason why it’s cool we don’t have magnus involved (or hikaru lol)

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Probably good for Ding that tomorrow is a rest day, so he can get some focus back after that meltdown.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I have never seen anything like that

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Unfortunately Ding’s beads are controlled by Levy Rozman

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Just reading about what happened makes me stressed and sad. But, I mean, it's the world championships. You've got to pull your poo poo together. If he loses the whole thing because of this, he will have deserved to lose.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ding seems to have learned his lessons quickly this match so hopefully he will learn this lesson too: "never play the French."

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Watching it live it really looked like a complete mental block, as if he was calculating so many lines his system overloaded and locked up. But in the press conference he said he thought he was losing, so it seems it was more that he was trying to calculate himself out of a loss and running out of time was not so much about any kind of anxiety or the pressure, but more mis-evaluating the position and trying to go for broke out of desperation, I guess. If that's true then I'm somewhat more optimistic for his chances to mount yet another comeback, feels like psychologically it's easier to recover from the latter than the former.

It was so painful to watch though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah like in the moment the first things he's picking up on are that he's down an exchange, he has weak pawns, and his opponent is reasonably coordianted. It's not always easy to pick up that you're better when there are 'sufficient' reasons on the board to think that you're worse. This came up in Carlsen-Anand 2 where both players missed a winning shot for Anand because neither player thought it 'should' have been there given what they saw in the position.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I just woke up in time to watch the final time clock melt down. Saw that Ding was down the exchange for a pawn but White’s king didn’t look too safe. How was Ding’s actual position? Did he have a mating attack he could force Ian to give up material with? A favorable end game here could transition into?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Zwabu posted:

I just woke up in time to watch the final time clock melt down. Saw that Ding was down the exchange for a pawn but White’s king didn’t look too safe. How was Ding’s actual position? Did he have a mating attack he could force Ian to give up material with? A favorable end game here could transition into?

Around move 30 black has an advantage that is probably winning with best play, albeit the win is a ways off.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I didn't see it at all - in what way was he really melting down? From the way you guys are posting about it, I'd think he was literally rolling on the ground blathering from the mouth.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

I didn't see it at all - in what way was he really melting down? From the way you guys are posting about it, I'd think he was literally rolling on the ground blathering from the mouth.
he had 8 minutes to make 8 moves and he spent 7.25 of them on one.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jesus WEP posted:

he had 8 minutes to make 8 moves and he spent 7.25 of them on one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqqs_ggW3Kc

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

totalnewbie posted:

Chess24 has the livestream on youtube. Scroll forward until Move 32 and watch for 7 minutes.

2 GMs and an IM shouting "Ding! MOVE SOMETHING!" into their monitors was something to behold. Anish walks off camera and can be heard saying "I can't, I just can't watch this!" or something like that.

Like people yelling at a dude stuck on the train tracks and turning away in abject despair.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

goddamn that was brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

kalensc posted:

Chess24 has the livestream on youtube. Scroll forward until Move 32 and watch for 7 minutes.

2 GMs and an IM shouting "Ding! MOVE SOMETHING!" into their monitors was something to behold. Anish walks off camera and can be heard saying "I can't, I just can't watch this!" or something like that.

Like people yelling at a dude stuck on the train tracks and turning away in abject despair.

Yeah it's some of the worst chess commentary I've ever seen. Just ear-splittingly awful. I think next time a game goes on I'll see if Levitov is broadcasting in English or Russian.