Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Hundlaser posted:

I think the topic of dehumanizing language is pretty interesting. Obviously there's a lot of hate among Ukrainians for what the Russians have done to their country, and some of the language you see getting thrown around comes from that hate. But I think there's something else as well. I work on an ambulance and we definitely dehumanize the people we work on. Not because you hate your patient of course, but because it's impossible to work efficiently if you see the lump of bone and flesh in front of you as somebody's kid or parent. Same deal I think with soldiers you see casually referring to Russian soldiers as orcs, even more so since your job is to kill the object of your work, rather than help them. Building up a dehumanizing framework is the only way to stay sane in some situations I reckon. Important to keep in mind methinks - I do what I can to support the Ukrainian armed forces in their job of killing the Russian soldiers occupying their country, and it certainly makes it easier for me to not think of them as the children of parents.

It's bullshit internet poster decorum because the same people going about this will have no problems with "all cops are pigs" or whatever

Not to say they are not but obviously insulting murderous invaders and authority figures is natural and human, we're all pretending we're decorum poisoned here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Somaen posted:

It's bullshit internet poster decorum because the same people going about this will have no problems with "all cops are pigs" or whatever

Not to say they are not but obviously insulting murderous invaders and authority figures is natural and human, we're all pretending we're decorum poisoned here

Cops are not an ethnicity. It's a job. A bad job.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

Cops are not an ethnicity. It's a job. A bad job.

Soldier of the russian federation is not an ethnicity either

US police represent and protect the US state and all the systematic racism that it has inherent to it, it's essentially a white power org. I don't care about the pretend decorum, but the hipocrisy is funny

Death to landlords, but the guy he sends to shoot you is very human

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Somaen posted:

Hundlaser
Jan 15, 2004

by Hand Knit
Eh, forums drama is vapid bullshit. Point is that I reckon there are some surprisingly legitimate reasons for adopting a dehumanizing mental framework as a means to do your job, given that the ends are just.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Hundlaser posted:

Eh, forums drama is vapid bullshit. Point is that I reckon there are some surprisingly legitimate reasons for adopting a dehumanizing mental framework as a means to do your job, given that the ends are just.

Yo, what the gently caress?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

As far as I'm aware, the term "orc" didn't come into use until the invasion and explicitly refers to soldiers, not people of a given ethnicity.

Also, this particular conversation about dehumanizing popping up in a thread where Monkey Putin gets posted fairly frequently is pretty rich.

Hundlaser
Jan 15, 2004

by Hand Knit

Borscht posted:

Yo, what the gently caress?

You disagree? Should I be considering the patient I'm doing CPR on as a human being, instead of the object upon which I'm executing a clinical algorithm designed to maximize the chance of saving their life?

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Hundlaser posted:

You disagree? Should I be considering the patient I'm doing CPR on as a human being, instead of the object upon which I'm executing a clinical algorithm designed to maximize the chance of saving Thier life?

It sounds like you're defending inhuman attitudes that police or soldiers take to protect their psyches while abusing humanity because the ends justify the means.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
everyone knows the first step to proper CPR technique is to pretend your patient is a fish

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The best argument for avoiding the usage is to not have to deal with the flood of concern trolls who the admins are patently unable to handle.

Hundlaser
Jan 15, 2004

by Hand Knit

Borscht posted:

It sounds like you're defending inhuman attitudes that police or soldiers take to protect their psyches while abusing humanity because the ends justify the means.

It sounds like you're reading a lot into what I'm saying. Are Ukrainian soldiers generally "abusing humanity"?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Somaen posted:

Soldier of the russian federation is not an ethnicity either

US police represent and protect the US state and all the systematic racism that it has inherent to it, it's essentially a white power org. I don't care about the pretend decorum, but the hipocrisy is funny

I get it and between you and me I'm probably on your side. The problem is the implication is that all Russians are Orcs and the we are dehumanizing a race and that's not cricket.
In this instance we're having a human guttural reaction to a loving rear end in a top hat (dehumanizing) monster(see previous note) killing a five year old.

I hate that motherfucker (n) too. And I get why you or I or especially the Ukrainians call them Orcs. But the only positive power we have at the moment is to not risk brushing all Russians with the same slur.

I get it. gently caress that oval office (n). But, we as a group have to make a decision and make sure our genuine anger doesn't cause needless harm.

War breeds a lot of slang. That said, we (I'm assuming) aren't in the war. War dehumanizes people. Let's not, miles away on our couch also be dehumanized. It's all we have left.

Also, gently caress the pigs.

(note to mods please don't make my probe too long)

[E: a lot of what was posted above is really valid too]

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 18, 2023

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Kith posted:

As far as I'm aware, the term "orc" didn't come into use until the invasion and explicitly refers to soldiers, not people of a given ethnicity.

Also, this particular conversation about dehumanizing popping up in a thread where Monkey Putin gets posted fairly frequently is pretty rich.

I remembered that I had seen Russia being called Mordor in Russian language tweets for years and wanted to check if anyone had researched it's origins. This article didn't answer the question, but seemed funny nonetheless:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/07/google-translates-russia-mordor-foreign-minister-ukrainian

quote:

Google has fixed an “automated” error which saw its online translating tool convert “Russian Federation” into “Mordor”.

Other erroneous translations included “russians” becoming “occupiers” and the name of Russia’s foreign minister, Sergey Lavrov, rendered as “sad little horse”.

Mordor is the fictional realm in JRR Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings books, also known as the land of shadows.

The error, which Google said is down to an automatic bug, appeared in the online tool when users converted the Ukranian language into Russian.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Hundlaser posted:

Can you just stop and leave this thread

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

a podcast for cats posted:

I remembered that I had seen Russia being called Mordor in Russian language tweets for years and wanted to check if anyone had researched it's origins. This article didn't answer the question, but seemed funny nonetheless:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/07/google-translates-russia-mordor-foreign-minister-ukrainian

"sad little horse" is way funnier than it has any right to be.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

E: actually I'm going to drop it.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
:siren: Guys, the effects of war and human suffering and the ways the human mind copes with it are actually a very interesting topic and I encourage you to start a thread about it here in GBS or fitting sub-forum of your choice if you want to continue talking about it. It is however not on topic for this thread; adjacent at best and I politely ask you to drop it.

Thread rule #5 is currently non-negotiable. If you think that you can make some salient suggestions regarding this or any of the other thread rules, please feel free to PM them to me or one of the other IKs. I promise we will consider them and bring them up to the mods/admins if necessary.

Thank you. :tipshat:

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

RoyKeen posted:

I hate that motherfucker (n) too. And I get why you or I or especially the Ukrainians call them Orcs. But the only positive power we have at the moment is to not risk brushing all Russians with the same slur.

I'm ethnically russian and the implication that all russians are potential gun wielding murderers slightly strange, but I accept that Americans are just weird as gently caress, plus

Icept posted:

The best argument for avoiding the usage is to not have to deal with the flood of concern trolls who the admins are patently unable to handle.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
It seems that Putin's visit actually happened earlier

https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1648285323464433664

meanwhile Zelenskyy

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1648311064109674500

a podcast for cats posted:

Perhaps its origin is in Russian well-known LOTR fanfic "The Last Ringbearer" where Sauron and orcs were good/progressive/industrial guys, because some people in Soviet Union felt that Mordor in Tolkien's work was metaphor for Soviet Union.
Or it's something really simple like "Mordor famous from the pop culture is evil empire in the East, Russia is evil empire in the East" :shrug:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 18, 2023

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Hundlaser posted:

I think the topic of dehumanizing language is pretty interesting. Obviously there's a lot of hate among Ukrainians for what the Russians have done to their country, and some of the language you see getting thrown around comes from that hate. But I think there's something else as well. I work on an ambulance and we definitely dehumanize the people we work on. Not because you hate your patient of course, but because it's impossible to work efficiently if you see the lump of bone and flesh in front of you as somebody's kid or parent. Same deal I think with soldiers you see casually referring to Russian soldiers as orcs, even more so since your job is to kill the object of your work, rather than help them. Building up a dehumanizing framework is the only way to stay sane in some situations I reckon. Important to keep in mind methinks - I do what I can to support the Ukrainian armed forces in their job of killing the Russian soldiers occupying their country, and it certainly makes it easier for me to not think of them as the children of parents.

How do you know your materially contributing to killing russians? When your paying to write horse cum on the the side of a 155mm shell how do you know its blowing up a dageastani peasant? How often to do you think about dead russian soldiers a day that you need to make a mental coping mechanism dehumanizing them? Lastly you're not doing everything you could be to help the AFU, pull up . Sounds like you have medical experience they could use on the frontline

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Terminal autist posted:

How do you know your materially contributing to killing russians? When your paying to write horse cum on the the side of a 155mm shell how do you know its blowing up a dageastani peasant? How often to do you think about dead russian soldiers a day that you need to make a mental coping mechanism dehumanizing them? Lastly you're not doing everything you could be to help the AFU, pull up . Sounds like you have medical experience they could use on the frontline

*you're

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Americans tarring other nationalities as being potential gun wielding murderers is pretty rich lol

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Somaen posted:

I'm ethnically russian and the implication that all russians are potential gun wielding murderers slightly strange, but I accept that Americans are just weird as gently caress, plus

As an American am surly ignorant but I'm not sure how this is an American thing. I'm leaving the typo btw.

E: To clarify I don't think that all Russians are "gun wielding murderers" nor as an American do I wield any firearms. And we shouldn't brandish each other as monsters. Though as an American I get why you would think I was. That said, I do get why someone would say something in anger and we can't all be immediately high and mighty. We can get any and be forceful or we can correct some bad behavior.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 18, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yle continues their streak of doing quality journalism, this time by investigating how and why products made by Finnish companies are still being sold in Russian stores. Hint: it's not because those companies are secretly selling to Russia.

Journalists: Sakari Nuuttila and Heikki Heiskanen
Link: https://yle.fi/a/74-20026784

Yle posted:

CHOCOLATE AT WAR TIME

Tom Lindblad examines chocolate Yle bought in Moscow in March 2023
MOSCOW / SAINT PETERSBURG / HELSINKI

A Russian consumer can walk into a mainstream supermarket in Moscow or St. Petersburg and pick up a cartload of fresh, famous Finnish Fazer or Panda chocolate. This despite the fact that the chocolate manufacturers say they stopped exporting their products to Russia the moment the country began its illegal invasion of Ukraine.

Despite this Yle was able to find among other things Panda confectionaries manufactured in October 2022, and Fazer chocolates manufactured just before Christmas.

How is this possible?

Behind the phenomenon is a concentrated effort to smuggle Finnish products over the eastern border. Yle's investigation found that an importer in St. Petersburg is using private individuals in Finland to purchase large quantities of Finnish chocolate and delivers it wholesale to several tens of Russian stores.

To Fazer and Panda's owners Orkla the news of their candy being sold in Russia came as a surprise. Both companies condemn the practise, but can't really do much about it.

The St. Petersburg importer Effekta Group tells to Yle openly how they arrange Finnish products for sale in Russia.

They employ a network of private individuals who purchase the products from Finnish or Estonian stores. People transport the products in small batches over the border and sell them to Effekta.

- We just glue on Russian stickers, so we have the right to sell them in Russia, explains Effekta's director of sales, Anna Udaltsova.

The sale of chocolate and other products in Russia is not illegal even though the manufacturers themselves might not be exporting anything into the country due to the war. Effekta is misrepresenting the situation as official co-operation with known Finnish brands, though. The company says they sell products to roughly 50 stores in Russia, although according to the director of sales in very small amounts.

The products are in constant demand, because Russian and Moscowan people value Finnish quality highly, Udaltsova says. She also defends their actions with ancient stories.

- Even during the times of the Trojan Horse, merchants were always the pillars of peace, prosperity and goodness. Caravans were allowed to travel even during war.

Effekta's website lists multiple Finnish brands as their official partners. These partners themselves were not aware of any partnership, and deny Effekta's right to use their logos and brand names.

Orkla's director of sales for Finland, Jussi Tolvanen, is surprised to see familiar logos and brands on Effekta's website. He is equally surprised to see a bag of liquorice manufactured by Panda in October, which Yle purchased in Moscow in March 2023. The sticker glued by Effekta says in Russian "Exporter: Orkla Confectionary & Snacks Finland", and lists the company's contact information in Vaajakoski and Turku. Orkla were not in a business relationship with Effekta even before the war.

- It's sad to see that our brands, corporate name and even our factories are being used in their advertisement. We have to seriously explore if there's something we can do about this, Tolvanen says.

Yle found recently manufactured Finnish candies on sale in two Stockmann convenience stores in Moscow and St. Petersburg. The Stockmann stores in Russia have not been owned by the Finnish company for several years now. They are owned by a Russian company, which has a licensing deal with the Finnish company to use their name.

Russian Stockmann stores make heavy use of the public's perception of the company as Finnish and European. This also includes the ability to sell products, which are perceived as being high quality luxury items in Russia, even during the war.

This information comes as a surprise to Fazer as well. The candy giant says it does not approve of its products being sold in Russia.

- This is absolutely not in accordance with our interests, says Fazer's Tom Lindblad.

- It may appear that companies whose products are still being sold in Russia are in fact not condemning the governments actions, adds Tolvanen of Orkla Finland.

Beside damage to their brand, companies are also concerned with unwelcome economic benefits. Fazer and Orkla are indirectly getting income from consumers in a country whose army is currently slaughtering civilians in Ukraine.

Both Tolvanen and Lindblad say that the situation is unacceptable on every conceivable level, even if the money generated would be very small. These sales are also indistinguishable from normal sales in Finland, because the products were purchased from Finnish stores.

For the individuals smuggling Finnish products over the border it's in all likelihood purely a job. The war might have taken their previous jobs and they had to come up with something else, says researcher Abel Polese, who specializes in the shadow economy and post-socialism Europe.

On the other hand, according to Polese, some companies are trying to benefit from their competition withdrawing from Russia under ethical concerns. It's not hard to find European companies who don't feel any guilty pangs about continuing to do business in Russia.

This has not escaped the attention of Effekta.

- For instance, in 99 cases out of 100, Italian manufacturers are willing to operate in the Russian market. We do close co-operation with them, says Uldatsova.

Orkla says that after being contacted by Yle, they sent Effekta a letter where they officially request them to withdraw Orkla's products from sale in Russia. Additionally they demand that Effekta stop using stickers which claim that the products were officially exported by Orkla.

They have not received a reply.

It might be impossible for Orkla to do anything about private individuals. Fazer's representatives agree.

- Of course we will investigate, but if we're talking about a large network, it's going to be difficult to put a stop to this, says Fazer's Tom Lindblad.

According to Polese, companies do have responsibility in the matter, but practically they can't do much about it. EU and individual countries could place limitations on transporting consumer goods over the border, but according to Polese it would not be effective. All illegal transport could not be stopped.

Even though known consumer pdocuts might have powerful symbolic value, they are not a high priority as countries consider new economic restrictions for Russia.

Polese reminds that after the Soviet Union collapsed, it was precisely western made chocolate that personified quality and luxury to many Russians. Products matching these impressions are still in high demand even though they are harder to get now.

- Finnish chocolate is not bought in Russia just because it's objectively better, but because of what it represents.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
You're all weird

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Finnish chocolate is not bought in Russia just because it's objectively better, but because of what it represents.

I'm conflicted now. On one hand, I cannot recall the last time I actually had Fazer chocolate and thought it was good, but, on the other, I've never knowingly had Russian chocolate.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Honestly, the biggest surprise there is that Orkla has taken their slow and steady project to own every major food brand outside Norway now.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wat is bad!

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Potrzebie posted:

Step one: upend Ukrainian legal tradition
Step two: implement common law
Step three: ???
Step four: horse cum

:hmmyes:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Wat is bad!

nobody's allowed to talk poo poo about angkor wat in this thread

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

KirbyKhan posted:

Wat is bad!
:thunk:

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat

Computer viking posted:

Honestly, the biggest surprise there is that Orkla has taken their slow and steady project to own every major food brand outside Norway now.

They actually did that and, on their way to or from Finland ruined Laima, which was an universally beloved legacy brand of Latvian chocolate.

Maybe I've internalised marketing horseshit, but allegedly, due to some weird Soviet trade shenanigans they had direct access to cocoa bean producers in West Africa and were buying beans and making their own cacao paste, rather than buying it in commodity markets.

This is a step that Orkla cut out after the acquisition.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 18, 2023

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

RoyKeen posted:

As an American am surly ignorant but I'm not sure how this is an American thing. I'm leaving the typo btw.

The American thing is the arcane political correctness rules, where you can't insult invading soldiers, what if someone reads that as insulting an ethnicity, instead of the function of the group of people with guns? I stumble upon some nasty ukrainian-russian bickering sometimes and it is another level of insults with historical grievances, so the American take on it of trying to ban mean words is very innocent by comparison

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

Wat is bad!

Baby don't hurt me

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Karate Bastard posted:

Baby don't hurt me

No more.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rad dads are sad that the news is: war bad

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Tai posted:

You're all weird

It was another day on the forums, everyone was weird, mom won't buy me a new hat.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Somaen posted:

The American thing is the arcane political correctness rules, where you can't insult invading soldiers, what if someone reads that as insulting an ethnicity, instead of the function of the group of people with guns? I stumble upon some nasty ukrainian-russian bickering sometimes and it is another level of insults with historical grievances, so the American take on it of trying to ban mean words is very innocent by comparison

I see. I think the risk is not to have such slurs paint all Russians and generally not to be a dick. I get the anger. I really do. And Americans are more than adept at slurs. That said, all we generally have as non soldiers on the side of 'right' is to not succumb to slurs. I'm not going to chide or tsk a Ukrainian soldier or any Ukrainian for that matter for using whatever words against their invaders. But for the rest of us we have the chance to not be offensive. "Orcs" is relatively tame. I don't really care. No one really cares if we're honest. But there is a line that right thinking individuals take and not using a slur is on the right side of the line. The Russian aggressors and invaders have been monstrous. We all want to hurt them but slurs don't help. If anything they accept is and act like monsters anyway. If we say they're Orcs then they can be comfortable being orcs. I dunno. I'm day drunk so I'mma bow out. That said, calling war criminals 'human' is the most hurtful thing you can say. Because they're just like you and went n a path that led to horrors. If I had to kill someone invading my country I'd be totally fine with calling them Orcs because it makes the killing easy. And that's forgivable. None of us are on any frontline though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Somaen posted:

At the end of the day basically any other insult for them works other than one that arguably is aimed at an ethnicity.

I'm not gonna pearl clutch over anyone using it, but I prefer when there aren't stupid interforum slapfights going on