Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Drigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

lollontee posted:

i reject your reality, and substitute my own. eat it losers

Stop

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can i petition astral to code a filter that specifically just changes the content of lolontee's posts to the :razz: emoji because it would functionally change nothing substatial about them

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I say change his account status to "banned"!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

after all the poo poo that has been happening lately, permabanning lollontee would be the easiest way to show that you admins want to improve the forums

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
warning: Finnish

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don’t want to sound prejudiced, all I’m saying is there is a derangement in Finnish blood that renders them anathema to the domain of man

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
lollontee has moved beyond linear time and everything exists simultaneously for them

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Mods should be like jury duty. Just pick like 4 of the Top 50 posters at random from every subforum that gets more than 10 posts a day and give them buttons for 30 days, with a small stipend for their troubles.

No. Like seriously, no. Someone gets probed by a goon they don't like for a flimsy reason? What happens when they get picked to mod and start grudge probing back. Terrible, terrible idea.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

thinkin' of getting a young dog that will ideally chill with our two year old cat, but every time i ask pet island for advice about cats, i get drowned out by some dude who can't remember to clean the cat's litterbox asking why his entire life smells like cat piss. so i'm asking here:

any tips for introducing a young dog to a youngish indoor-only cat, so that they can coexist and the experience isn't lovely and traumatic for either?

or is this just a fool's errand?

It can depend a lot on the temperament of the dog and cat. I knew my cat was indifferent to dogs that didn't bother her because she's had dogs visit before. It might help you gauge the cat's reaction if you know someone who could stop by with a cat-friendly or at least cat-socialized dog to see how your cat feels, too. See if you can dog-sit for an afternoon and figure out what the cat does. Do give her a place to retreat to like a tall cat tree or another room where the dog can't go.

Besides that, you can always check at rescues if a dog has been tested with cats, small dogs, children, etc. and ask how they reacted to all of those, and a lot of rescues are open to doing a "test visit" in the home. Some breeds can have stronger prey drives that a cat sets off, but that's not a guarantee any specific dog is dangerous. My cat has also cohabited with an elderly Jack Russell Terrier mix, who was never aggressive and instead was initially terrified of her, which slowly came around to mild discomfort. Like Boba mentioned, the big thing is making sure any interactions are controlled and done under your observation at first so you can intervene if there's any tension. If you're not around, keep them separated in different rooms or parts of your home. You may wish to kennel the dog when you're not home, etc.

Oxxidation posted:

I don’t want to sound prejudiced, all I’m saying is there is a derangement in Finnish blood that renders them anathema to the domain of man

Comparing Finnish people to Malkavians is making them sound way too cool tbh

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

lol nice 6er nuns

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Valko posted:

No. Like seriously, no. Someone gets probed by a goon they don't like for a flimsy reason? What happens when they get picked to mod and start grudge probing back. Terrible, terrible idea.

the idea is that the grudge probing idiot would be a mod only for a month, not for years like they are now

didn't you follow what just happened

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Comparing Finnish people to Malkavians is making them sound way too cool tbh

Ah finally Nuns’ home forum shines through. I always knew this day would come.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

ChubbyChecker posted:

the idea is that the grudge probing idiot would be a mod only for a month, not for years like they are now

didn't you follow what just happened

I know for a fact that some mods have it in for some posters and vice versa. Switching places doesn't solve the problem it just keeps it going.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it's more fair though. everyone should get a turn

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cuttlefush posted:

it's more fair though. everyone should get a turn

sounds good.

i give my turn to tld.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Valko posted:

Well I don't really have an answer for this but I would hope that person would be immediately called out for such behavior, demodded and their spot given to someone else. The idea behind picking 4-5 people from the top posters on each relevant subforum is that they would hopefully represent a broader cross-section of the forums and wouldn't gang up on any one person or group of people in particular. There's grudge probing that happens now except amplified times a million because there's no strict term limit for mods besides getting blown up and banned, which I'd argue is clearly less healthy for the overall state of the forums.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Grassy Knowles posted:

sounds good.

i give my turn to tld.

charging tld up into an admin by giving him our energy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Top posters selects the mods from the biggest spammers and most always online folks

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Stop drinking it, then.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

exquisite tea posted:

Well I don't really have an answer for this but I would hope that person would be immediately called out for such behavior, demodded and their spot given to someone else. The idea behind picking 4-5 people from the top posters on each relevant subforum is that they would hopefully represent a broader cross-section of the forums and wouldn't gang up on any one person or group of people in particular. There's grudge probing that happens now except amplified times a million because there's no strict term limit for mods besides getting blown up and banned, which I'd argue is clearly less healthy for the overall state of the forums.

"Top" how? By post count? Because a lot of the time the people who post the most are the people who have nothing else going on in their life that competes for attention. It would be particularly disastrous in the politics boards, but I don't think posting constantly will be a good criteria anywhere.

Not to mention it incentivizes the people you least want to have power to post huge volumes of white noise to make sure they're in the running.

If we absolutely have to run with this idea, it should be anyone who meets some minimum, perhaps the top sixty percent. Or the middle sixty, to exclude both unknown lurkers and would-be superstars. Because being desperate for attention or recognition is not a trait you want to select for.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

"Top" how? By post count? Because a lot of the time the people who post the most are the people who have nothing else going on in their life that competes for attention. It would be particularly disastrous in the politics boards, but I don't think posting constantly will be a good criteria anywhere.

Not to mention it incentivizes the people you least want to have power to post huge volumes of white noise to make sure they're in the running.

If we absolutely have to run with this idea, it should be anyone who meets some minimum, perhaps the top sixty percent. Or the middle sixty, to exclude both unknown lurkers and would-be superstars. Because being desperate for attention or recognition is not a trait you want to select for.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Make sure you remember to make a post every day to raise your karma

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

You make a valid point.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Literally can't believe anyone is taking this proposal seriously

OK I can believe Valko is

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

lol nice 6er nuns

This is a no-cocktail-hate zone.

Arivia posted:

Ah finally Nuns’ home forum shines through. I always knew this day would come.

I am pretty sure I've slipped TTRPG jokes into my posts elsewhere before...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't know, let's say Top 100 or something? I don't think posting a lot necessarily means posting badly, or that the most frequent posters are all desperate for forums clout or something. One common complaint I've seen a lot of people make lately is that the mods feel really divorced form the forum community at large. Pulling people at random from the same group of posters who contribute most often to that community would I think help to improve some of these systems, since knowing you get 30 days with buttons at most would probably encourage most people to want to make better decisions, rather than "you can be a mod indefinitely." I don't think there's some Goldilocks Zone of postcount where you're going to find all the best, most level-headed mods. Picking from the same group of people who contribute the most to that community at random may not give you perfect modding at all times, but probably much fairer representation. And it would increase the probability that people would actually accept their position as mod, since infrequent posters may not be available.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

some mods haven't even posted in their forums in months

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I've run into enough people who've had that idea for serious that it's worth engaging with it a little bit because holy poo poo is it a bad one.

Also sometimes engaging with stupid ideas seriously is fun. Typing is low effort, thinking then more so.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Shut up, this is just speculation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NoiseAnnoys posted:

thinkin' of getting a young dog that will ideally chill with our two year old cat, but every time i ask pet island for advice about cats, i get drowned out by some dude who can't remember to clean the cat's litterbox asking why his entire life smells like cat piss. so i'm asking here:

any tips for introducing a young dog to a youngish indoor-only cat, so that they can coexist and the experience isn't lovely and traumatic for either?

or is this just a fool's errand?

So we got a puppy to go with our two cats and while it was kinda a pain in the rear end it’s turned out ok.

Firstly you definitely need to make sure to give the cat a place where it can go that the dog can’t. We got a baby gate and walled off the upstairs so the cats could be away from the dog when they wanted.

We also made it very clear to the dog not to approach the cats. They can come up to her but she rarely goes up to them. At this point she just walks right by them. She also knows the cats are in at the top of the pecking order.

Also keep in mind that you’ll have to figure out where you are going to keep the cat food and water because the dog will definitely eat that poo poo lol. We have a feeding station that the dog can’t get to.

Just make sure the cat has its own safe space and you’ll be fine. You definitely have to keep a close eye on things for a while though depending on the dog / breed/ age of the dog.

It’s not impossible! It can be a lot of work or you could get hella lucky and get a dog that doesn’t give a poo poo about the cat.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

ChubbyChecker posted:

I keep trying to IK this thread but Nuns With Guns is always quicker on the trigger than I am

Which I suppose is appropriate given the name

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ChubbyChecker posted:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Alaois posted:

can i petition astral to code a filter that specifically just changes the content of lolontee's posts to the :razz: emoji because it would functionally change nothing substatial about them

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

skeleton warrior posted:

I keep trying to IK this thread but Nuns With Guns is always quicker on the trigger than I am

Which I suppose is appropriate given the name

I think you and Pablo have done a great job redirecting conversation, which helps a lot with stuff. I'll go have a lie down after this though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think you and Pablo have done a great job redirecting conversation, which helps a lot with stuff. I'll go have a lie down after this though.

:cheerdoge: this thread is pretty well behaved overall

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not sure I can see correlation between whoever posts the most in any particular subforum, and whatever passes for a representative of a broader cross-section of that subforum.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

:cheerdoge: this thread is pretty well behaved overall

im about to be toxic

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

im about to be toxic
don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

im about to be toxic

:sickos: