Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

The Neal! posted:

Anyone know of a good YouTube video that can act as a refresher for the ins and outs of the combat gameplay? I'm sure it'll all come back to me but right now I've reinstalled the game for the expansion and I don't remember any of the melee stuff and even with the bow and arrow combat I could probably do with a quick summary of how to take advantage of each weapon. I really would rather not go scouring the map for all the pit masters and hunting grounds to do all the little tutorial challenges again to relearn things if I can just watch a video of someone going through it all?

this is a great write-up https://observablehq.com/@mrfancypants/hfw-melee-guide

Melee is not really my cup of tea though, barely use it besides the mandatory for completing the melee pits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

This guy does a pretty good breakdown of Horizon's melee system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fed-aQ9tW74

Arktix has a good series about all weapon types and how to use them effectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ysjKJ4jtCU

This owns. The level of animation work on display is so awesome. Gonna experiment with melee more.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I have never wanted to be so close to the machines because they will hit me with their sharp metal parts

but perhaps I will watch these videos to channel the will of someone braver than I

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

when this poo poo go live?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://yourcountdown.to/horizon-forbidden-west-burning-shores

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
April 19th 12am Eastern Time

or approximately ~21:48 from the time of this post. A countdown can be found on this store page.

edit: i am preloaded and the shores are ready to burn baby. unfortunately despite the PS5 saying I am "100%" completed with HFW I have no recollection of how to play this game

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 18, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

west cost wins again! excited to play tomorrow night. just booted up and getting back into the controls.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'll be damned. Got the Machine Strike trophy today and the only pit boss I have left is that cheap bitch Tenallo who has me in controller-breaking rage. So a couple of how-to videos and a night's sleep and my brain will collate the necessary info and I'll take care of him tomorrow, which will leave just the arena challenges for the platinum.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kazzah posted:

gently caress the Thornmarsh pit-master

Luckily the game doesn't stop you from filling the arena with purgewater mines before the fight starts

They may have patched this, but a year ago you could cheese him with mines.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTIocPm5ufc

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That site is a fail.
It just counts down to midnight in your local timezone.
So everyone gets different countdown, based on their local time.
(It says 12 hours to launch for me, which I doubt)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Kazzah posted:

They may have patched this, but a year ago you could cheese him with mines.

You can still do this with all the pitmasters. Drop 8 advanced acid traps slightly away from the center and he will go down instantly.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

You can still do this with all the pitmasters. Drop 8 advanced acid traps slightly away from the center and he will go down instantly.

Oh boy, ethical dilemma here. I won't drop the difficulty but this is within the game and GG has to know about and certainly could have patched it out by now. I mean, they patched out some of the tripwire gags in Zero Dawn.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well a big HFW prepatch just downloaded this morning so hopefully they didn't take it out! But this exploit has been around since launch so I doubt GG is too interested in removing it.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
PS5 let me go ahead and download Burning Shores. Says it's 15.44 GB.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Looking at some preview clips and things I'm guessing lava will be an environmental hazard similar to Red Blight, but won't be completely ignorable like the Blight was.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Looking at some preview clips and things I'm guessing lava will be an environmental hazard similar to Red Blight, but won't be completely ignorable like the Blight was.

There was already lava in the Thebes mission, so it'll probably work like that? At least that's what I'd expect.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Finally my childhood skills at the floor is lava will be valuable

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry if this has been covered: I think I bought the ps4 version of the base game and now when I try to buy the DLC, it says I own another version of the game. Is there any issue here or should I just buy the ps5 DLC?

edit: I am playing on a ps5.

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 18, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Do you have the PS5 version of the game downloaded? It's a different install.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

exquisite tea posted:

Do you have the PS5 version of the game downloaded? It's a different install.

it says PS5 next to the game when I select it on my ps5. Some games say 'PS4' but the ones I am pretty sure I got the PS5 version of, all have 'PS5' next to them so yep. It's just that I BOUGHT the ps4 version a while ago when I think this thread, was telling me if you buy the PS4 version you get a free upgrade to the PS5 version. Seems I did, that worked out. I am just unsure which version of the DLC to buy.

On the DLC PS5 page, it says 'you already own another edition of this' which links to my downloads, in which it says I own the ps4 and ps5 versions. Not the DLC though. Well I just bought the DLC and I'll see what happens. weird/confusing. I know I didn't buy the 'every dlc premium edition' of horizon so I'm not buying the same thing twice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no PS4 version of the DLC it's PS5 only

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Joraptor got an early code from Sony and is livestreaming gameplay, over three hours worth so far. He has a rundown of the new skills at the beginning, not as thorough as I'd like, but it's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgFE4t6LREY

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's up for pre-load. Didn't auto-DL for me but I clicked the dlc icon and it was available.

edit;

lol, if i'm seeing this right what is the point of pre-loading if i'm gonna have to also download a 14gb patch afterwards :doh:

i checked last night and i was on the current version

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 18, 2023

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
The 1.21 update switches around some of the weapon wheel for some reason. For example, on the Sun Scourge, it was Frost, Fire, and Acid. Now It's Acid, Fire, and Frost.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

theCalamity posted:

The 1.21 update switches around some of the weapon wheel for some reason. For example, on the Sun Scourge, it was Frost, Fire, and Acid. Now It's Acid, Fire, and Frost.

Putting it in alphabetical order?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

only a Mary Sue would know that technique tho :thunk:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Is gyro aiming any good in this game? I feel like trying it out but I've never used the feature in any game before. Any tips on adjusting?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Issaries posted:

That site is a fail.
It just counts down to midnight in your local timezone.
So everyone gets different countdown, based on their local time.
(It says 12 hours to launch for me, which I doubt)

I'm fail. Game unlocked at midnight at my time zone and I've Feeling the Burning shores for couple of hours now.
New place is cool, new waifu is cool too.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Is gyro aiming any good in this game? I feel like trying it out but I've never used the feature in any game before. Any tips on adjusting?

It’s pretty decent. I played through the main game with it enabled (100 hrs of playtime all told)

It’s nice to see it getting normalized in games now

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I liked the gyro aim, I don't use sticks very well especially for small adjustments so being able to just move the controller a bit to slide the reticle where I want it to go is extremely useful. That combined with the almost endless focus slow time you can get by end game made aiming much less stressful than it was for me in Zero Dawn.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All right, uncovered the last couple map areas on my NG+2 save and got my full Tenakth Tactician setup ready to go. Hope there are some fun new machines to override in the Burning Shores. Ready for this in 3 hours. :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwgZalAFNhM

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~
UK Burning Shores player, played for 2 hours but now must sleep.

I set a Slaughterspine on a Thunderjaw using override, then collected my new blacktide armour and checked out the new weps. I collected 8 brimstone, and then killed my first Bilegut managing to get the sac webbings. I died once as I ran out of berries.

10/10

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Been watching a stream and its making me wish i had a ps5 right about now. but for the foreseeable time i'll have to explore vicarously through others. wonder when Gildun is gonna show up (presumably). really curious on what the 2 remaining dlc machines gonna be. The first two new machine appearances were awesome, and from previously un-represented animal orders at that. Not super-excited about the antagonist being yet another a zenith but hope they'll make it work.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 19, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

get that DLC logo off of my beautiful title screen :blastu:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm a couple hours in, haven't advanced too far yet in the main story. Started out with my Machine Master setup but that's kind of weak since your pets are disabled at the start of the DLC, so instead I swapped into a melee-focused build with the new Quen Commander outfit and spear canisters. That turned out to be a lot of fun, especially with the new Valor Surge and grapple strike creating resonator blasts everywhere.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

"Oh. Yuck."

:lol:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gorgeous music goin on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked the part where you're climbing the tower with Seyka and they mix in the good poo poo from The World on Her Shoulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Started out with my Machine Master setup but that's kind of weak since your pets are disabled at the start of the DLC

I’m deleting the game right now