Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

now seems like a great time to say "roguelikes"

the berlin interpretation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

and yeah...i'm unsheathing right behind you...

to horny jail with you

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

PinheadSlim posted:

GTA 3 doesn't care how you resolve the objective of a given mission, it gives you several ways to do it and it's not really different than Thief.

Go in guns ablazing or stealth and a car bomb? Game doesn't care how you kill the guy as long as you do.

Is it because it's not first person for you?

I don't really know what an immersive sim is supposed to be other than i've played deus ex, but surely when people use the term they mean more than "there are multiple ways to accomplish the goals the game gives you." based on what I know about it, I feel like searching the environment for a slip of paper that says "0451" and then punching that into a keypad door lock is somehow essential to the genre, and it's been a while since i played but i'm pretty sure that's not in GTA3

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

now seems like a great time to say "roguelikes"

ooh ooh I know this one. "Roguelike" isn't a genre by itself. It's a description of a certain kind of mechanic that can be present in many genres. e.g. Binding of Isaac is a roguelike bullet hell game; Crypt of the Necrodancer is a roguelike rhythm game, etc.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fridge corn posted:

Calling diablo games action rpgs really doesn't make sense anymore considering there's loads of actiony rpgs that exist now that are way more action oriented than diablo is

For sure, and I think that's part of the problem with genres. We're used to labeling things by what theyre about, but for games the genre is what you do.

It seems like there's a tendency to try and be descriptive with it for some reason.

Like I think the genre 'moba' works really well, because I don't know what it stands for, and you don't need to. It's just a word that only means "that type of game". You can't say 'no it's not very moba'. When you tell me what it stands for though, I can say, ah well it's not actually 'autumnal' or whatever.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Diablo isn't an action game, its an ARPG, which doesn't actually stand for anything.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

We should stop using genre names and only describe games as <game>-likes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can we all at least agree that the worst is when developers make up cutesy pun genres, like calling a first-person immsim about being a cobbler a "First-Person Booter"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Butt master

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Mario-like.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Mario-don't-like

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

giogadi posted:

We should stop using genre names and only describe games as <game>-likes

I miss every FPS game being called a Doomclone

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Similar to Doomclone or Soulslike or Rougelike, terms that everyone loves, we can call immersive sims by their origin game: System Shock. Shocklikes, "Shockers." I'm playing the newest shocker you'd say.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Deusexii

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

COD, a doom-like

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

souls-like is a very useful term for games that rip off dark souls, which is a ton of games nowadays

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Making checkpoints look like bonfires you light up has forever changed gaming

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Vic posted:

Deusexii

I'm thinking we can do a MetroidVania style mashup. ShockerDeusexiis. Really rolls of the tongue.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

when i was a kid my brother used to call it like Dyoos Ex lmao. He also used to say Beh Heh Moth for behemoth. He was like 20 at the time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Day o' sex

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

beh heh moth kid checking in, though I was younger than that

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Nice Van My Man posted:

I'm thinking we can do a MetroidVania style mashup. ShockerDeusexiis. Really rolls of the tongue.

Deussy

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I can't wait for them to drop another Deussy on us.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Nice Van My Man posted:

Yeah I played some indie space fighter sim that I forget the name of with realistic space physics. Combat went like this:
1. Target locked, got to accelerate towards the enemy!
2. Oh poo poo, I'm going to overshoot, reverse thrust!
3. I finally managed to stop but now I'm in the middle of nowhere, time to head towards the enemy again (repeat).

I guess I could just get better at managing my momentum and remember to start deceleration when I get half way to my target, but it just isn't very fun in a dogfight with a moving target. It's much more intuitive to hit the burners until you get where you want to be.

Yeah, space games with direct-fire and dogfights don't make a lot of sense.

Star Wars really tricked so many into "space = aerial-style dogfights" when in reality, "space = submarine combat" which sounds a lot more boring.

I'd like to see an Expanse game though, 80% dodging torpedoes and 20% shredding hulls with point-defense turrets :black101:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tetrabor posted:

Star Wars really tricked so many into "space = aerial-style dogfights" when in reality, "space = submarine combat" which sounds a lot more boring.

I don't think "in reality" makes very much sense in this context

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nice Van My Man posted:

Yeah I played some indie space fighter sim that I forget the name of with realistic space physics. Combat went like this:
1. Target locked, got to accelerate towards the enemy!
2. Oh poo poo, I'm going to overshoot, reverse thrust!
3. I finally managed to stop but now I'm in the middle of nowhere, time to head towards the enemy again (repeat).

I guess I could just get better at managing my momentum and remember to start deceleration when I get half way to my target, but it just isn't very fun in a dogfight with a moving target. It's much more intuitive to hit the burners until you get where you want to be.

I believe the name is Solar Winds!

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
speaking of "submarine" combat sims, Highfleet's strategy layer is basically submarine operations with giant airships and its cool af

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
No More Hero’s on the Wii was an immersive sim because it used the little microphone in the wiimote when characters called you and you could hold it up to your head like a real phone.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I believe the name is Solar Winds!

Nah, it was some 3D indie game that looked like Freespace 2. Unless there's another solar winds that isn't a top down dos game.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
The BSG total conversion for Freespace 2 flew like a standard dogfighter but had a button you could hold to maintain your current heading but freely rotate your ship, which let you do the sideways strafing from the show without having to completely re-work the flight physics.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

!Klams posted:

I think this is the fourth time we've had this conversation, and I'm not fussed, it's a decent topic, but the conclusion one time was that the only way to describe things accurately was with other games, rather than genres.

I remember when diablo was an RPG but then there were enough diablo clones that it qualified it's own genre, the ARPG. But you can just call them 'diablo games' and it's extremely clear what you mean.

It's clear until idiot morons use Rogue like to mean procedurally generated or "you die and start over" instead of games like rogue. Morons. The dumbest people. Gamers.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 18, 2023

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nice Van My Man posted:

Nah, it was some 3D indie game that looked like Freespace 2. Unless there's another solar winds that isn't a top down dos game.

I was just making a joke that your description applied, obviously I nailed it haha.

I miss Nintendo Power. They sure knew how to make some dogshit games look awesome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mock toaster

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Duck and Cover posted:

It's clear until idiot morons use Rogue like to mean procedurally generated or "you die and start over" instead of games like rogue. Morons. The dumbest people. Gamers.

I just wrote a Save.bat and load.bat to play Moria/Nethack/Adom like a normal game. :smug:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

I HATE THEM!!!!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Baba is You is actually a great way to understand how game design works, and how computers work in general.

Unrelated, I finally beat The End in MGS3D. Goddamn that was a slog, but very satisfying. Still get a real kick out of the fact that I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence on my 3DS XL.

E: Holy poo poo, I could sell my physical copy for more money than I paid for my 3DS? What is happening?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 18, 2023

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I have to call them immersive sims because I don't really know of any other genre title that implies it's a first person with an inventory and dialogue trees though!!!

XCOM 2 doesn't have any of those though, at least not really an extensive inventory

Xcom3 will take the plunge though and have scenes where aliens capture and interrogate you and so you get chrisma checks etc

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

jokes posted:

Day o' sex

I used to play this Halflife mod called Existence as a kid that was pretty much a Matrix ripoff and its website was whatisexistence.com which I committed to memory by remembering it as "what i sex is tence"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Floodixor posted:

I have to call them immersive sims because I don't really know of any other genre title that implies it's a first person with an inventory and dialogue trees though!!!

XCOM 2 doesn't have any of those though, at least not really an extensive inventory

Xcom3 will take the plunge though and have scenes where aliens capture and interrogate you and so you get chrisma checks etc

I believe XCOM 2 is an imsim because the player literally gets sucked into/pulled out of an in-game body as a plot device

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
every genre should be named after the worst game in that genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

George posted:

every genre should be named after the worst game in that genre

Dark-Souls-2-likes