Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, that reads as they could only get her for like 3 weeks.

That's exactly what happened. This deal came together very quickly. They're mashing together three of the scripts they had assembled for a six-episode miniseries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Timby posted:

That's exactly what happened. This deal came together very quickly. They're mashing together three of the scripts they had assembled for a six-episode miniseries.

Oh boy :geno:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
They gave the mass murdering cannibal her own movie, called it Star Trek: Blackwater, and the QTs are like yaaaaas empress!!! Demented fandom.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

!!!ACADEMY AWARD WINNER!!! Michelle Yeoh returns

Yeah, I know why they do it, but it tickles me every time.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Typical Pubbie posted:

They gave the mass murdering cannibal her own movie, called it Star Trek: Blackwater, and the QTs are like yaaaaas empress!!! Demented fandom.

But but, she was changed by the ideals of the federation to being a slightly less worse person. All cannibals are redeemable.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The only way this could be good is if she destroys Section 31 but that canonically can't happen.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

When did we last see her? When she entered the City on the Edge of Forever portal?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

When did we last see her? When she entered the City on the Edge of Forever portal?

Yep, with the implication it was sending her back to the 2200s.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
get that paycheck, girl

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Considering how much wheel-spinning or dumb side plots there can be in modern star trek, maybe having a 120-160 minute constraint could be a good thing. Just get that beginning, middle, and end in there without setting up a drip fed mystery plot and cliff hangers.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
It will be like those direct to video disney sequels that were just a few episodes of a cancelled series stapled together.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

Because mashing up half-done scripts at the last minute to rush things into production has done so well in the rest of nuTrek.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Lister posted:

Considering how much wheel-spinning or dumb side plots there can be in modern star trek, maybe having a 120-160 minute constraint could be a good thing. Just get that beginning, middle, and end in there without setting up a drip fed mystery plot and cliff hangers.

exactly what I was going to say. The six-hour miniseries probably had an hour of plot and plenty of contrived 'setpieces.'

Now it'll just be 1 and a half hours of terrible storytelling instead of 5 and some change.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh good, they got the director who loves to spin the camera around nonsensically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ahF9gKKS8w

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 18, 2023

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Oh god I totally forgot about Ash. And it was good.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

See? Nu trek good!!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Was the WGA strike a factor?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

xerxus posted:

https://trekmovie.com/2023/04/15/jonathan-frakes-talks-tng-bridge-reunion-picard-finale-and-how-it-sets-up-star-trek-legacy/

I absolutely do not want to see a show about the TItan with every maincast TNG's kids. What an dogshit idea.

Honestly, one of the best things about TNG back in 1987 was that it was a completely clean break. Zero ties to the original cast beyond being in Starfleet and having the ship carrying an honor name. The only other tie was ancient Dee Kelly sassing Data for a minute or two. Then, they let TNG actually be it's own thing before bringing in more references to the old days, like Scotty and Spock.

Penitent posted:

I'm curious how changelings managed to infiltrate all of Starfleet when Vadic makes it clear that she escaped from Starfleet Guantanamo with 9 of her peers that were also held captive.

Did they get help from the Founders in the gamma quadrant?

Vadic said that the changes were something that could be passed on to other changelings. Which would have made a great way to explain the bird crew. "We discovered that we could pass on the changes, though at great cost. Shorter life, cut off from the Great Link, great pain. And, unfortunately, not all of us can handle it. These poor souls are trapped in their forms. They wear these clothes and masks to hide their shame. But I am proud of them, Picard. They sacrificed everything, their very essence, for a chance at vengeance. And I will honor their sacrifice, and give them their vengeance. Starting with you."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaz-L posted:

Was the WGA strike a factor?

Not especially, because as I understand it they have 11 scripts that they were whittling down for a six-episode miniseries. But Yeoh had a sudden window of availability pop up and Kurtzman decided to jump on it, because drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead, he wants his Section 31 baby.

And when I say this deal came together quickly, I mean quickly. As within the last 72 hours.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Not especially, because as I understand it they have 11 scripts that they were whittling down for a six-episode miniseries. But Yeoh had a sudden window of availability pop up and Kurtzman decided to jump on it, because drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead, he wants his Section 31 baby.

And when I say this deal came together quickly, I mean quickly. As within the last 72 hours.

Do you know how self-contained this will be? I can’t imagine they’d be able to resist promoting SNW at the same time with some kind of connection, if at all possible.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lol. Lmao.

At least it's just a movie and hopefully it's awful enough not to have the "all the feels" Twitter fandom crowd clamoring for a full series like Trek fans seem to do for every little thing these days.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Do you know how self-contained this will be? I can’t imagine they’d be able to resist promoting SNW at the same time with some kind of connection, if at all possible.

I don't know, and I don't know how explicit I can be if I find out without burning one or more of my sources, but I'll ask.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Can't wait for more of that snarky space hitler dialogue.

"You're so ugly, I wouldn't eat you!"

"Psyche! I already murdered your family, IDIOT!"

"Well, that just happened *gestures at body of small child*"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Ugh, its Kurtzman totally setting up a section 31 show without her.

drat you kurtzman

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Timby posted:

oh that's potentially good. maybe they can cut it into something cohereahahahahahaha

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

Lol. Lmao.

At least it's just a movie and hopefully it's awful enough not to have the "all the feels" Twitter fandom crowd clamoring for a full series like Trek fans seem to do for every little thing these days.

I've really come to hate every variation of the phrase "all the feels" as of late for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

oh that's potentially good. maybe they can cut it into something cohereahahahahahaha

I hope it’s three completely unrelated scripts they’re hacking together, so we can jarringly cut from Georgiou hunting down who stole the Universe Destroyer to a quirky romp where she needs to pretend to be someone’s dinner date.

…actually that just sounds like a normal Star Trek episode.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

nine-gear crow posted:

I've really come to hate every variation of the phrase "all the feels" as of late for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

Its basically the new "epic bacon" and "ftw"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Its basically the new "epic bacon" and "ftw"

It's a decade old if not more.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Timby posted:

I don't know, and I don't know how explicit I can be if I find out without burning one or more of my sources, but I'll ask.

Ask them to make the movie good plz.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

ftw dont deserve that. ftw is ftw.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Aaron Sorkin's SportsNight, but it's Georgiou trying to balance the many personalities in S31 HQ while running a successful galactic spy network.

Walk-and-talk and spinny cam together at last.

"T'plak!"

"Yes Georgiou?"

"What's the latest on the Tal Shiar cell at Beta-Ceti Prime?"

"The Tal Shiar?"

"Yes, the Tal Shiar."

"The Romulan Tal Shiar?"

"No, the brother-sister singing duo Tal & Shiar -- I hear they're performing in residence on Risa. Of. Course. The. Romulan. Tal. Shiar!"

"Our informant on Beta-Ceti Prime says the Tal-"

"You know, it's been a hot minute since I saw Risa. God I could use a vacation."

"Georgiou?"

"Yes! T'plak?

"The Tal Shiar on Beta-Ceti Prime?"

"You know where the phrase 'in a hot minute' comes from?"

"No ma'am."

"I wonder if it's related to 'in a New York minute.' The Tal Shiar cell on..."

"Beta-Ceti Prime?"

"Beta-Ceti Prime!"

"Still working on it."

High five, end scene.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 18, 2023

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Aaron Sorkin's SportsNight, but it's Georgiou trying to balance the many personalities in S31 HQ while running a successful galactic spy network.

that would be unironically good so we're not getting it

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

On second thought my dialogue just sounds like Tilly talking to herself.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HD DAD posted:

I hope it’s three completely unrelated scripts they’re hacking together, so we can jarringly cut from Georgiou hunting down who stole the Universe Destroyer to a quirky romp where she needs to pretend to be someone’s dinner date.

honestly something like this seems like it could be well suited to a movie format

...assuming it started out as a movie. ultimately i think this will feel somewhat similar to insurrection (i.e. a very long and mostly incoherent episode). they're not entirely dissimilar either, "fade in" by michael piller does a very good job of articulating how troubled the writing process for that production was

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

apatheticman posted:

Ugh, its Kurtzman totally setting up a section 31 show without her.

drat you kurtzman

i also would not be surprised if this spawns a spinoff (or at least tries to), but they would have to completely retool what they wrote again i guess

if it does happen it probably won't be for at least a year or more

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
"T’plak! You said we were having kelpian for lunch!"

"What do you mean? This is kelpian."

"Then what's this bowl full of seaweed? Oh. Nevermind."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TheTrekCentral/status/1648371775770705943

Terry M'Twitter is doing a Reddit AMA to circlejerk the afterbirth of his horrible, horrible baby on April 21st on r/Television. Wonder how that's gonna go?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i don't really read reddit. is there any chance people might be as vicious as goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

HD DAD posted:

The last third of the movie becoming halloween themed and the credits have the whole cast singing a halloween song was an artistic choice!