Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Horticulture places.

Speaking of which, I jus came home to find almost all my CPDs dead and the CO2 tank empty. I didn't realize my regulator would fail in that particular way. gently caress.

Rip. Needle valve failure? My first regulator was faulty, but it just leaked co2 from the pressure gauge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

Rip. Needle valve failure? My first regulator was faulty, but it just leaked co2 from the pressure gauge

Don’t know yet

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Don’t know yet

Is it a two-stage regulator?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

Is it a two-stage regulator?

It's a Victor welding regulator. Not sure.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Sorry, that sucks. :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I'm so sorry! I still remember how horrible it was when I cooked a tank of breeding hillstream loaches. I didn't think the water was that hot.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It's a Victor welding regulator. Not sure.

If it’s a one stage regulator, low pressure can cause a catastrophic end of tank dump, which might be what happened.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

If it’s a one stage regulator, low pressure can cause a catastrophic end of tank dump, which might be what happened.

Yeah, that's my working theory.

Does anyone have a reg/solenoid/needle valve solution they like? I have a little flow meter so that part is set.

I inherited an electronic system, but the constant clicking drives me nuts.

Also, for the goon that was asking about prices in the bay area: San Jose hydroponic swapped my 20 lb tank for $28 and change.

Edit: I just ordered the aquarium co-op one. And I dropped y old regulator on my cannister filter outlet and broke it. Today is an expensive day.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 8, 2023

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I have the fzone mini two stage one (3.0), but I don’t think I can recommend it after the first one I received was defective and emptied out a bottle

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

After two months, one of my nerites has started laying eggs. Fortunately for now it seems to be contained to the shell of the other nerite. If I want to dodge this problem, I should remove the non-egged snail from the tank, yeah?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

One of my guppies doesn’t look too hot. Nice red mark on the side of him and he’s swimming at the bottom when normally he’s at the top. Any ideas?

It’s stocked with galaxy pearl danios (8) and 3 other guppies, and 2 snails.

Edit: ammonia test is 0 ppm

nwin fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 11, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

One of my guppies doesn’t look too hot. Nice red mark on the side of him and he’s swimming at the bottom when normally he’s at the top. Any ideas?

It’s stocked with galaxy pearl danios (8) and 3 other guppies, and 2 snails.

Edit: ammonia test is 0 ppm

What are nitrites and nitrates?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cowslips Warren posted:

What are nitrites and nitrates?

0 and 0

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My first thought is that maybe he got caught next to the heater and got a burn, or maybe got himself trapped against some hardscape and scraped himself up?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

HazCat posted:

My first thought is that maybe he got caught next to the heater and got a burn, or maybe got himself trapped against some hardscape and scraped himself up?

It’s an all in one tank with the heater in the back. You might be right on the hard scape though.

Don’t think he’ll make it through the night

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Working on setting up a 20g as our first ever aquarium. We’ve had it running for a while with plants and a friend’s seed filter to get things going. Finally put in the wood recently. It’ll be leeching tannins for a long time but honestly don’t mind the look and overall I think the tank looks great. Plants are also doing really well.

We actually got impatient and bought a couple cories early on. I thought the water parameters were fine. One abruptly died after a couple days. The other moped around for a while before getting a fungal infection. I tried treating with maracyn oxy but it was too late. :(

We felt really badly so have been letting it sit. Parameters seem to be good and holding steady so I’m starting to think it’s time to try again. Our plan is to do maybe 5 panda cories, 2 otos, and maybe a school of cherry barbs. Also maybe a couple Amano shrimp.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 12, 2023

HazCat
May 4, 2009

It reads like you seeded the tank with media from an established tank and then let it sit for a while with no livestock in it? If so, all the beneficial bacteria in the seed media would have starved due to not having a source of ammonia to eat. You need to either add seeded media to the tank at the same time as the first livestock, or to feed the bacteria ammonia yourself until you add some livestock.

Your water parameters looked fine because you didn't have anything generating ammonia in the tank, so ammonia/nitrite/nitrate were obviously all steady at zero. As soon as you added the cories there would have been an ammonia spike because there's no beneficial bacteria left alive in your filter. If you add anything else it will happen again because you still have no beneficial bacteria established (especially if you let the tank sit empty again after the cories died).

Basically your tank isn't cycled (unless you were dosing it with ammonia before you added the fish and just forgot to mention it). Don't put anything alive in it until you have a plan to get it cycled.

Sorry about your cories :( it always sucks losing fish.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

HazCat posted:

Good info

Oof, ok. Glad I posted here. Things I had been reading about starting the cycle didn't seem as specific about timing and what happens if you miss the window when maybe the bacteria start to die off.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also hold off on otos until you get the tank aged a bit with algae. They're super iffy from bad shipping stress to start.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Are hillstream loaches relatively hardy? I already want some pygmy corydoras, but the loaches are good, too. I have a 20 gallon with about 10 neons, two guppies and planted. I always made the swap for an annoying hang on back, to two of Aquarium co-op.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Aerofallosov posted:

Are hillstream loaches relatively hardy? I already want some pygmy corydoras, but the loaches are good, too. I have a 20 gallon with about 10 neons, two guppies and planted. I always made the swap for an annoying hang on back, to two of Aquarium co-op.

It depends on what kind. I have a species that doesn't need high flow and is pretty chill, but there are lots of species classified as hillstream you shall find in the pet trade that need very high oxygen and several powerheads in the tank to recreate an active River stream.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I have two of the small sponge filters from Aquarium Co-op, to break the bubbles into small ones. I'm debating trying a new center piece with hidey holes in it, instead of a branch. I still love the little UFO looking loaches.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pond update. Pretty amused how well this has worked over the last year or so. I'm pretty sure the huge amount of water relative to the number of fish has helped with the overall health of the system. Anyways

Lilly pads bouncing back nicely, had died back to a handful of half dollar sized leaves over the winter

Java Fern thriving, survived the winter with 33-50F water no problem. Snails went into dormancy over the winter and they got brown with algae but since water temps are in the 60s now they're keeping them clean again

Hard to photograph the moss but it's absolutely exploded since getting established late last fall

More plants that appear to have survived

Moss that has spontaneously started growing on surfaces I definitely didn't plant it on. Based on the size looks like it got established in mid January

Going to harvest all this stuff and ship it cross country in about two weeks, gonna have to buy a tank or two and use that "instant dechlorinator" not super happy about that but don't see any other choice

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I have 3 six-inch goldfish, and then ~10 killifish each about 1.5-2" long, ~10 rice fish which are about 1/4 the volume of the killifish and max out at maybe 1.25", and ~6 rosy red minnows which are full size at about 2"

Planning on setting up an outdoor pond for them in a few months (90 days?) at the new house

Can I go with... a 20-36 gallon tank for that period of time? Looks like if you go much bigger than that suddenly you're buying a $150 55 gallon tank

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If you're just temporarily housing them before shipping, you might consider plastic tubs, as a lower cost alternative to an aquarium.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Temporarily housing them after shipping. The plan is to pull them out of the backyard "pond" and fly out of town the same afternoon, and then place them in some kind of new housing for 2-3 months

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I’d probably separate the goldfish from the littler fish, maybe even have a bigs tub (Goldies and minnows) and a littles tub, from both the point of view of safety of the smaller fish as they won’t have room to escape or familiar cover like they’d have in the pond, and because you might have to water change the bigger tub more frequently. I had the impression that black pond totes were fairly readily available and cheap, the way fish YouTubers use them for outdoor breeding projects over summer. I think something like that is more useful to have around than extra aquariums which have the tendency to not stay temporary.

Edit: I forgot I was going to post, the frisky fish are at it again, I’ve had two or three clear water changes since last time but something set them off again.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 17, 2023

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Stoca Zola posted:

Edit: I forgot I was going to post, the frisky fish are at it again, I’ve had two or three clear water changes since last time but something set them off again.

Shame them.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm setting up my very first aquarium!

I got a 20 gallon starter kit and it seems to be humming along and test strips have all come back good but I'm not really sure what my next move is. Add some plants? Get the fish? Get the fish and plants together? I'm only planning on having a 6-10 guppies and tetras and am a complete and utter beginner at this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would add at least one plant. If you're feeling plucky maybe add some java moss too, super glue it to that rock. The plant should help keep the water values in check longer between water changes. And maybe a snail and a shrimp?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm setting up my very first aquarium!

I got a 20 gallon starter kit and it seems to be humming along and test strips have all come back good but I'm not really sure what my next move is. Add some plants? Get the fish? Get the fish and plants together? I'm only planning on having a 6-10 guppies and tetras and am a complete and utter beginner at this.

Hadlock posted:

I would add at least one plant. If you're feeling plucky maybe add some java moss too, super glue it to that rock. The plant should help keep the water values in check longer between water changes. And maybe a snail and a shrimp?

^^^ Definitely this. If it's a brand new tank, the test strips might be coming up good simply because there's nothing in there yet to produce any harmful wastes. And if there's nothing in there, there hasn't been any food to cultivate the bacteria that break down harmful ammonia into less toxic compounds. I would advise putting in one or two hardy plants like a Java Fern or something, and maybe a snail to just scoot around for a bit and seed the substrate with some bioload in anticipation of actual fish.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Alright, that's what I needed to know! Plants first, a snail, wait for a bit then get the fish.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

When they say snail they probably mean Nerite snail. That's the one you want. They are good and cool.

I moved about a month ago and had to set my tank up again so it's pretty barren. My cories celebrated with two clutches of eggs and I was able to see them this time around (last year three little fish just randomly showed up and I got to watch one jump into her uncle's mouth). I was able to sequester seven eggs this time and I've got two tiny fries chilling in a little container with catappa leaf beside my main tank. They are so small I can't get a good photo or else it would be in the post.

I hope my little fish babies live.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Get a nerite snail if you want to spend $5 on one snail.

Get a ramshorn snail if you want to spent $5 on infinite snails :yeshaha:

Or just wait and see what hitchhikes in on your plants and save $5.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

HazCat posted:

Get a nerite snail if you want to spend $5 on one snail.

Get a ramshorn snail if you want to spent $5 on infinite snails :yeshaha:

Or just wait and see what hitchhikes in on your plants and save $5.
That looks like the path they're on if they go for a random sample of 6 to 10 guppies.
Moon Slayer, if you're Canadian, I've got guppies and mystery snails up to my armpits. Take some.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm Minnesotan so basically, yes.

I'm going to seek out some plants after work today, first I've got to get some glue. A few websites that I've looked at mention that you should attach these plants to "porous rocks." Can I just grab some from the parking lot islands and rinse them off really, really well or are there "special" rocks I should get (sounds really dumb when I type it out but that's going to be 95% of my posts as I get this thing up and running)?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm Minnesotan so basically, yes.

I'm going to seek out some plants after work today, first I've got to get some glue. A few websites that I've looked at mention that you should attach these plants to "porous rocks." Can I just grab some from the parking lot islands and rinse them off really, really well or are there "special" rocks I should get (sounds really dumb when I type it out but that's going to be 95% of my posts as I get this thing up and running)?

If you're using random found rocks, I advise checking to see if they're chemically inert so they don't dissolve in the water and gently caress up the hardness and pH and stuff. Dribble some vinegar on it and see if it reacts or not. If it fizzes, throw it out. Granite and similar mostly-quartz rocks are generally safely inert.

That said, if using found rocks, yes you should wash them thoroughly to remove any pesticides or dust or whatever. PetSmart or similar will also usually have some rather nice-looking rocks in stock that are safe for aquarium use without any guesswork.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
So we're trying to stock our 20 gallon tank again, this time with five cherry barbs. It's been a couple days. I've been checking water parameters a couple times a day and they have been steady. They've also eaten a bit, though it's hard to tell if they all have or just a few. I'm now at the point where I assume any and all behavior that isn't "swim around like fish in a nature doc" means they're dying. Four seem ok, but one will pick spots to sort of sit and just stay, just moving enough to stay roughly where they are. It seems to mostly be around the sponge filter. I looked up "shimmying" and it's not that, I don't think. I don't think they're gasping or labored breathing. I'm hoping it's just stress and they'll pull through.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 18, 2023

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Could just be shy barb syndrome, they like being in big groups and 5 is not a big group. If you add more fish over time that solo fish might come good, or it might be ill or stressed. Try turning the lights out and seeing if it behaves in a more relaxed way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Where do y'all like to buy your aquatic plants? The aquarium store here went out of business and Petsmart here is sometimes a bit iffy, I generally don't buy live animals from Petsmart but sometimes they have a few aquatic plant clippings.