Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i keep saying the word out loud and it has lost meaning so i think its safe to say we can give up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Sounds like a good submission for PronunciationManual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1visYpIREUM

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

sb hermit

Bright Bart posted:

Shower Thought: Someone should study whether people who have very common names are any less likely to jump & look around on hearing their name called out. And if so does this make up for it happening more often.

I have a very common name and if someone is calling out to me from behind, I usually try to identify the voice or wait until they try to hail me again.

If I ever get coffee, I usually use a "coffee name" that is impossible to misspell or mispronounce but is also unlikely for other people to have.

Ominous Jazz

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Viginti Septem posted:

Sounds like a good submission for PronunciationManual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1visYpIREUM

pro click type channel
https://youtu.be/BZVBTtX92Nc

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

It's not even that, it's using midi to open the solenoid valves. It's a midi controlled calliope. It does take a tiny guitar string vibration and make it sound much louder, so in that sense it is amplifying the guitar sound, but that's pretty tenuous.

There's no sense of the word "amplifier" that means "pick the fundamental frequency out and play it on a different instrument". But whatever. It's a stupid and fun idea, I think that's the main thing.

Finger Prince posted:

Wait how does he pronounce calliope? Kuh-lie-oh-pee? Is that right? It's not ka-lee-ope? I think that's the first time I've ever heard the word pronounced out loud before now.

Wikipedia actually has a whole section on this! People who play the instrument tend to say "KÆLL-ee-ope" and everyone else says "kæll-EYE-oh-pee" and at the end of the day it's just a fun cool instrument that makes you happy :)

Dukes Mayo Clinic
calliope gonna scootch right by ya dere :dadjoke:

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

There's no sense of the word "amplifier" that means "pick the fundamental frequency out and play it on a different instrument". But whatever. It's a stupid and fun idea, I think that's the main thing.

Hush! Lest you wake the Dragon Of Pedantry!
I hear him stirring...

Quadramind

He's actually shaking, not stirring. Common mistake.

treasure bear

please can you avoid speculating about the upcoming announcement, thanks

Manifisto

cruft posted:

Wikipedia actually has a whole section on this! People who play the instrument tend to say "KÆLL-ee-ope" and everyone else says "kæll-EYE-oh-pee" and at the end of the day it's just a fun cool instrument that makes you happy :)

huh! I always thought it was your second pronunciation. Webster's says both are right for the musical instrument, although the other definition listed there, the greek muse of heroic poetry, is exclusively with the emphasis on the second syllable. since the instrument is named after the muse, you certainly can't go wrong with that pronunciation imo.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/calliope

ty nesamdoom!

cruft

treasure bear posted:

I heard treasure bear was finally going to show us what the treasure was.

Escape From Noise

treasure bear posted:

I have an announcement, and it is HUGE!

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Let's start speculating about what the announcement will NOT be.

I don't think treasure bear is going to show us their range of designer culottes

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

cruft

Escape From Noise posted:

Is it about dump trucks? :ohdear:

I hope it's about dump trucks!

sb hermit

:f5:

ThatBasqueGuy

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

same, im gay

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

there's a ghost, should we kill it?

baka of lathspell

if i was a ghost i wouldnt want to be killed

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Abugadu

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
it looks like someone already beat you to it

Abugadu

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
but on second thought it sounds like a great grift.

"Of course I can kill that ghost for you ma'am, that'll be $50"

Abugadu

on a lark i googled Ghostkiller movie, thinking that an idea this bad would have to have been made into a crappy movie at some point, right?

friends you have no idea

Abugadu

actual IMDB credit:

Zahn McClarnon -
Chaske Ghostkiller(rumored)

I'm not going to spoil the rest of the cast, but that every morsel of that credit sounds like a made-up comedy bit

B33rChiller

Hey cruft thanks for introducing an instrument I've not heard of before. It's loud and jolly! love it.
I've been on a bit of a run of checking out interesting / new to me instruments on the old youtuber. I really like the huge, super loud stuff like pipe organs, and carillons.
But then I'll stumble onto something like the whamola or the membrane clarinet
Just so much fun and interesting stuff to learn

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Goons Are Gifts

Chickam went over so fast this year

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I love roosters!!

I've been letting this one rooster a fella brings into a shop nearby chill on my arm whenever I see him. His name is Benny.

Escape From Noise

I am waiting for the train from Seattle to Portland. Boarding started. Gonna grab a seat, eat an edible, and chill. I wish my danged headphones worked.

Ass-penny

I am waiting for the train from Seattle to Portland. Boarding started. Gonna grab a seat, eat an edible, and chill. I wish my danged headphones worked.

there is probably a kiosk at the station that seems cheapo earbuds to tide you over.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Escape From Noise

rear end-penny posted:

there is probably a kiosk at the station that seems cheapo earbuds to tide you over.

I need to buy a laptop anyways, and Portland had no sales tax. I'll see if I can charge them at my friend's place and if not...

sb hermit

or you could make a train post thread :kiddo:

cruft

treasure bear posted:

update coming soon

:ohdear:

Escape From Noise

sb hermit posted:

or you could make a train post thread :kiddo:

Ah dang. I'm almost there. I thought about it but got lazy. I'll probably take the train back on Sunday

treasure bear

iu435vn0m834uy-5v3qu[084t[oji gt4e3rj[i09gfweij[ger[ji09t4y35[i09j gr4ewa[ioj0 gfwe'ipojn\gse[ipoj\gsedip'oj\fwtgeg\eirpjws'o\gsdripojf'gs\df[#po,ktewk'pojt4W\GE'[PIOJ\GBSDRF;KONIL\SGDRFIKNO

sb hermit

Ah dang. I'm almost there. I thought about it but got lazy. I'll probably take the train back on Sunday

:f5:

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

treasure bear posted:

iu435vn0m834uy-5v3qu[084t[oji gt4e3rj[i09gfweij[ger[ji09t4y35[i09j gr4ewa[ioj0 gfwe'ipojn\gse[ipoj\gsedip'oj\fwtgeg\eirpjws'o\gsdripojf'gs\df[#po,ktewk'pojt4W\GE'[PIOJ\GBSDRF;KONIL\SGDRFIKNO

Very glad for this important update :hmmyes:

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Activia

Goal: some kind of neat moth

treasure bear posted:

:ohdear:

thanks deep dish peat moss for the Pomelo Princess!

sb hermit

sb hermit

power on without the boot disk

insert the boot disk

press reset

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

i heard treasure is going to close wh&c, and also byob

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

your friend sk posted:

i heard treasure is going to close wh&c, and also byob

No bears, no masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Weekend after this coming weekend I will be taking a train from Santa Fe to Minneapolis. Should I open a thread for posting while I am on the train, that stays open for 4 days going out and 4 days coming back?