Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Wat is bad!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Richard II parachute account spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Somaen posted:

The American thing is the arcane political correctness rules, where you can't insult invading soldiers, what if someone reads that as insulting an ethnicity, instead of the function of the group of people with guns? I stumble upon some nasty ukrainian-russian bickering sometimes and it is another level of insults with historical grievances, so the American take on it of trying to ban mean words is very innocent by comparison

quote:

We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "gently caress" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

Serious kurts vibes on this thread on the whole orc topic

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Terminal autist posted:

How do you know your materially contributing to killing russians? When your paying to write horse cum on the the side of a 155mm shell how do you know its blowing up a dageastani peasant? How often to do you think about dead russian soldiers a day that you need to make a mental coping mechanism dehumanizing them? Lastly you're not doing everything you could be to help the AFU, pull up . Sounds like you have medical experience they could use on the frontline

I’m sorry to say your autism is terminal. Nothing can be done.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Serious kurts vibes on this thread on the whole orc topic

Forum posters feel helpless to do anything about the Wagner SS murdering children, but they CAN influence forum policy on bad words. And doing something feels good.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

You know, while perfectly accurate, I just don't feel "near Frontline" properly conveys what Zelenskyy is doing. When I think of a politician being "near" a Frontline, I'm thinking more like they're an hours drive from any actual danger and not " A very real chance he could eat a shell to the face". There is just something different about him.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
When people talk about Russian soldiers, they generally mean nationality, not ethnicity - and definitely not race.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Some actual news...
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ukraine-says-it-s-preparing-to-confiscate-massive-russian-cargo-plane-parked-at-toronto-pearson-1.6359623

The AN-124 has been stuck on the tarmac at Toronto Pearson for a year and Ukraine is moving to confiscate it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

1. I really don't want this poo poo litigated here because it gunks the thread up.

2. It is goofy that monkey Putin is still allowed.

3. I'm not a mod, just frustrated at the last few pages of posts about the topic.

4. gently caress Russia.

5. I hope they get their asses beat.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

1. I really don't want this poo poo litigated here because it gunks the thread up.

2. It is goofy that monkey Putin is still allowed.

3. I'm not a mod, just frustrated at the last few pages of posts about the topic.

4. gently caress Russia.

5. I hope they get their asses beat.

Getting frustrated that a few pages are on a topic is a thing. We just have to deal with the fact at people want to talk about things. It's what makes things great. gently caress Russia and Putin is a monkey,. You have something else to add? I'm happy for a digression. That said this is the topic of the moment.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Do people really need to have it explained why Monkey Putin is fine? That he's an individual and a public figure who directly responsible for Bad Happenings, and displays the intelligence of a lower primate?

Next you're going to tell me we can't have Orangutan Trump, or Ape Lincoln

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Icept posted:

The best argument for avoiding the usage is to not have to deal with the flood of concern trolls who the admins are patently unable to handle.

Tai posted:

You're all weird

Doctor Butts posted:

Tarquinn posted:

:siren: Guys, the effects of war and human suffering and the ways the human mind copes with it are actually a very interesting topic and I encourage you to start a thread about it here in GBS or fitting sub-forum of your choice if you want to continue talking about it. It is however not on topic for this thread; adjacent at best and I politely ask you to drop it.

Thread rule #5 is currently non-negotiable. If you think that you can make some salient suggestions regarding this or any of the other thread rules, please feel free to PM them to me or one of the other IKs. I promise we will consider them and bring them up to the mods/admins if necessary.

Thank you. :tipshat:
:yeah:

:sweep: it up goons

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

Do people really need to have it explained why Monkey Putin is fine? That he's an individual and a public figure who directly responsible for Bad Happenings, and displays the intelligence of a lower primate?

Next you're going to tell me we can't have Orangutan Trump, or Ape Lincoln

Its this. Unlike the 'orc' thing, which basically turned into "All Russians are Orcs" which is slandering an entire ethnicity and dehumanizing, slandering Putin is making fun of a singular person who is largely responsible for this entire mess.

Its not the same issue.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But Putin is the father of all Russia, and to insult him is to hurt the feelings of all Russians

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Forget monkey putin, let's talk monkey pizza

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Just probe me if it helps but why? If there's something else relevant to talk about I'm all ears. I'm more than happy to move on from this but if this is a topic that seems to be what people are talking about then why sweep it under the rug? I've never understood this about these threads. Don't just tell us to move on. Post something relevant about the Ukrainian war we can talk about. A few posters were fine and civilized talking about this portion of the subject.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

RoyKeen posted:

Just probe me if it helps but why? If there's something else relevant to talk about I'm all ears. I'm more than happy to move on from this but if this is a topic that seems to be what people are talking about then why sweep it under the rug? I've never understood this about these threads. Don't just tell us to move on. Post something relevant about the Ukrainian war we can talk about. A few posters were fine and civilized talking about this portion of the subject.

Are you new here

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

RoyKeen posted:

I am sorry that the on topic posts of the last few pages were not to your liking. We will strife to be better in the future!

And I know it goes against the goon creed, but not posting is always an option. Maybe give it a try.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 18, 2023

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

Wat is bad!

Actually wat is cool & good

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tarquinn posted:

I am sorry that the on topic posts of the last few pages were not to your liking. We will strife to better in the future!

And I know it goes against the goon creed, but not posting is always an option. Maybe give it a try.

But... the topic was to my liking and I made posts in the discussion.. I wasn't arguing the topic I was arguing the complaints to the topic and just saying that if people have an issue with what I, and others, were talking about then they could start a new topic.

Thanks for your tone deaf reply though.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

Are you new here

No

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Actually wat is cool & good

:siren:Guys, please stop quoting that eyesore. Thanks in advance

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is it glue sniffing hour?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tai posted:

Is it glue sniffing hour?

You can just post, you don't have to ask first.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:siren: Okay team, lets get back on topic rather than discussing the raging glue sniffing epidemic that ravages this subforum:siren:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

:siren: Okay team, lets get back on topic rather than discussing the raging glue sniffing epidemic that ravages this subforum:siren:

Sorry for deraiing things.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

CommieGIR posted:

Cops are not an ethnicity. It's a job. A bad job.

You're dumb as gently caress

edit: for a human. Because you're a human and your dumb as poo poo life has value

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

RoyKeen posted:

Sorry for deraiing things.

:justpost:

https://www.voanews.com/a/south-african-holocaust-center-says-russia-is-on-road-to-genocide-in-ukraine-/7054072.html

South African Holocaust Center says Russia is on the road to genocide in Ukraine.

VOA posted:

CAPE TOWN —
In welcoming Professor Olexiy Haran, who is part of a three-member Ukrainian delegation seeking support for the fight against Russia, the Holocaust Center’s Director Richard Freedman said the suffering in Ukraine should not be ignored.

Freedman said many observers see an “element of genocidal intent” in Russia’s actions – something that several governments and human rights groups have also expressed.

“And we here in South Africa, we need to be cognizant of this to know what’s going on and to try and prevail with our government through one way or another to see it for what it is and call it for what it is,” Freedman said.

A press release issued by the delegation says the Prosecutor General of Ukraine has recorded over 70,000 war crimes there since Russia’s invasion in February last year. Russia has denied targeting Ukrainian civilians in the conflict.

South Africa has remained steadfast in its neutrality and has abstained from several United Nations resolutions condemning Russia’s invasion.

A delegation from the ruling African National Congress party was also recently hosted by the ruling United Russia party in Moscow.

Professor Haran said it is clear there is genocidal ideology behind Russian President Vladimir Putin’s war on Ukraine. He noted that a Russian state-run news agency published an article speaking about the de-Ukrainianization of Ukraine. He said the mass graves, deaths and deportation of thousands of children to Russia was evidence of Putin's desire to have a “great Russian people” with no Ukrainians.

In appealing to the South African government to change its stance, Haran said he had a chance to look at the exhibition at the Holocaust Center in Cape Town, and it reminded him that many countries were still doing business with Hitler during the Second World War.

“We’re asking for support, we’re asking for support in any form. The former colonial power is trying to come back. Why don’t you support us? Why do you abstain? You, the country that suffered from colonialism for centuries. So, it means that Russian propaganda is very strong, Russian ties are quite strong. You know Russia is using disinformation, corruption, all these things,” said Haran.

He said Ukrainians often hear some African politicians saying it’s not their war — but Haran urged Africans to look at the soaring energy prices, fertilizer prices and food shortages.

He also reminded South Africa that its trade with Russia isn’t the largest.

“At least try to diversify, try not to depend on Russian gas as it was in Europe, or Russian nuclear facilities or whatever.”

When asked to comment on the call for South Africa to change its neutral stance toward the war, President Cyril Ramaphosa’s spokesman Vincent Magwenya referred to a recent media briefing broadcast on the government’s YouTube page.

“It's an issue of major concern to the AU and to the whole continent because of the impact of this conflict. And so when South Africa engages on this conflict, we’re not engaging from a position of being apologetic for the stance that we’ve taken. We engage so as to encourage parties to find a peaceful resolution to encourage all other interested parties to continue the dialogue with both countries involved,” said Magwenya.

Magwenya added that South Africa is seeking legal advice about hosting Putin at a summit in August with its partners in the BRICS bloc — Brazil, Russia, India and China.

The International Criminal Court recently issued an arrest warrant for Putin, for ordering the illegal deportation of children from Ukraine to Russia.

Some may scoff at South Africa calling out another nation for this given Apartheid but I think that adds more weight to what they say when trying to warn the world that it's Happening Again. And I would argue Russia isn't just on the road to genocide, it's screaming down the highway at 120 mph in a white bronco being chased by the cops.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

RoyKeen posted:

I'm not gonna probe you but Ive sent you a PM to continue discussing it there.

On topic: more tanks have arrived!

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1648326622481731585?t=QD7mhEMOdFfe02kBNNBcgA&s=19

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Here's something to talk about instead:

https://twitter.com/Spriter99880/status/1648256210959847427?s=20

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1648348553822224385?s=20

https://twitter.com/catturd2/status/1648322731023163393?s=20

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
hey charlie how much did the US spend in iraq and afghanistan...?

lmao the loving spy balloons i'd forgotten about that. what a weird couple of weeks that was

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay but why the Baby Face Kirk tweet? I'd just settle for the tanks.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

HonorableTB posted:

:justpost:

https://www.voanews.com/a/south-african-holocaust-center-says-russia-is-on-road-to-genocide-in-ukraine-/7054072.html

South African Holocaust Center says Russia is on the road to genocide in Ukraine.

Some may scoff at South Africa calling out another nation for this given Apartheid but I think that adds more weight to what they say when trying to warn the world that it's Happening Again. And I would argue Russia isn't just on the road to genocide, it's screaming down the highway at 120 mph in a white bronco being chased by the cops.

There have been some really bad takes from South Africa regarding Ukraine. It's not particularly surprising, it's a conflict far away and it's easy to turn it into BRICS vs the evil west. I think the best you can hope for is for them to remain neutral, so I don't think this will change much, sadly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

This is just laughable on the face of it: Ukraine doesn't intend to negotiate with a country that actively violated the previous negotiated treaties. Macron really needs to stop pretending he's some sort of peacemaker.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 18, 2023

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1648323163841806339

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooks

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Storkrasch posted:

There have been some really bad takes from South Africa regarding Ukraine. It's not particularly surprising, it's a conflict far away and it's easy to turn it into BRICS vs the evil west. I think the best you can hope for is for them to remain neutral, so I don't think this will change much, sadly.

Yeah BRICS countries haven't been great on Ukraine, and honestly this callout is more than I expected from SA to begin with.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tai posted:

Ah yes, nuclear war, famous for having 'winners' vs 'losers' in a full nuclear exchange.

Also: If you are drinking for the nuclear drinking game, that's another shot.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Why do it secretly, they've got a full party waiting to do it out in the open

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Tai posted:

Is it a translation issue, or does every one of these really follow the pattern of "what if, hypothetically, in a scenario one might conjure, whereby the use of weapons was permitted, say nuclear weapons, which we should use if necessary, hypothetically, and if the conditions were met whereby..."

It's like reading a 90s Warhammer rule.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

All those pundit TV shows look like they stole the set from The Weakest Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Speaking of bad takes from the BRICS, Lula has joined many of his fellow "leftists" in gargling Putin's balls

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-65307553

quote:

The White House has sharply criticised Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva for accusing the United States of "encouraging" the war in Ukraine.

Lula said after a visit to China at the weekend that the US needed to start talking about peace in Ukraine.

Visiting Brazil, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov met Lula and thanked Brazil for its efforts.